Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3
Elvis vs. the Beatles and The Rolling Stones
Posted by: steffiestones ()
Date: May 2, 2013 14:52

I have a good friend who is a Fanatic Elvis fan as there are still many!!
But what is that makes this people so fanatic about theyre Idol
Elvis was en still a monument for the breakthrough of popular music.
But both Beatles and Elvis careers where shortlived.
So who was or is The greatest???

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2013-05-04 19:00 by bv.

Re: What makes Elvis bigger than the Beatles and The stones ??
Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: May 2, 2013 14:54

Three cheeseburgers a day followed by a peanutbutter and jelly sandwich in the middle of the night.

Date: May 2, 2013 14:56

Silver Dagger
Three cheeseburgers a day followed by a peanutbutter and jelly sandwich in the middle of the night.

Your not an Elvis fan!!!
Three shots of herion a day and a bottle of vodka at night !

Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: May 2, 2013 15:33

ELVIS is the KING !!!!!!!!!!

Posted by: Send It To me ()
Date: May 2, 2013 15:37

"Little hellions kids feeling rebellious
Embarrassed, their parents still listen to Elvis
They start feeling like prisoners helpless
'Til someone comes along on a mission and yells "bitch!"...

Though I'm not the first king of controversy
I am the worst thing since Elvis Presley
To do black music so selfishly
And use it to get myself wealthy"

Posted by: More Hot Rocks ()
Date: May 2, 2013 15:55

He was a great songwriter...no wait....he was a great guitarist....no that's not right either. He did Frank Sinatra covers? Maybe that's it.

Posted by: Glammy ()
Date: May 2, 2013 15:57

I never understood what is so great about him. Highly overrated. I do like the late fat 70s Vegas Elvis, but more for the tragic aspect.

Date: May 2, 2013 16:02

who sold the most records?? The beatles
who did the most concerts The Stones
who ate the most Hamburgers The Elvis fans

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: May 2, 2013 16:08

He was there first and that's it really. He was the guy who took rock and roll to a mass audience.

Posted by: keithglimmer ()
Date: May 2, 2013 16:13

I'm a big Elvis fan but I have to admit he peaked pretty early. His original sun recordings are some of the best rock & roll ever recorded. But to paraphrase KR it's not an Elvis record it's a Scotty Moore record. I've always thought it was more of a cultural thing than a musical thing with Elvis.

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: May 2, 2013 16:15

steffiestones

Muhammad Ali

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-05-02 16:16 by Koen.

Posted by: Munichhilton ()
Date: May 2, 2013 16:31

The talent Elvis had is inimitable and he certainly deserved the level of success he enjoyed. The level of success and idolization his estate currently enjoys has only come about because he's dead. Death is often a brilliant career move.

Marketing a legend is far easier then writing and recording new music or keeping ticket prices out of the insulting range...

However, I would pay $1000 for a seat at an Elvis show happily. Again, because he's dead and that's impossible...

Date: May 2, 2013 16:31

keithglimmer
I'm a big Elvis fan but I have to admit he peaked pretty early. His original sun recordings are some of the best rock & roll ever recorded. But to paraphrase KR it's not an Elvis record it's a Scotty Moore record. I've always thought it was more of a cultural thing than a musical thing with Elvis.
But what makes him bigger Than Chuck Berry, Little Richard, Roy Orbison, Eddie Cohran
I must agree when Elvis hit america it was a Gassssssssssssssss
But when he started to wear silly capes and became fat he was more than a Parody of hisself agree ???

Date: May 2, 2013 16:33

keithglimmer
keithglimmer
But what makes him bigger Than Chuck Berry, Little Richard, Roy Orbison, Eddie Cohran
But when he started to wear silly capes and became fat he was more than a Parody of hisself agree ???

Posted by: GumbootCloggeroo ()
Date: May 2, 2013 16:36

steffiestones
Why does it matter?

Posted by: GumbootCloggeroo ()
Date: May 2, 2013 16:37

steffiestones
keithglimmer
keithglimmer
If so, then the same can be said about Mick Jagger and his stupid football get-up in the 80's.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: May 2, 2013 16:38

I think Tortelvis was even bigger than Elvis.

Posted by: NoCode0680 ()
Date: May 2, 2013 17:07

I've not a fan of Elvis' music, he was dead before I was born, but I've always respected his role as The King. Being a Stones fan has made me understand that place a little more after seeing various interviews with Keith and passages in "Life" in which he breaks down the effect Elvis had on kids and music in general. It's more about the fact that Elvis was blazing a trail, doing things others (maybe I should say other white people) hadn't dared or dreamed of doing. In hindsight it becomes a little dated and maybe boring compared to later rock bands, but he started it.

To be honest I'm the same way with early Stones. It's not really my sound, or musically that interesting as they were just getting their bearings and perfecting their musicianship, but without it there's no later Stones work. It reminds me of "Satisfaction". Is it the best Stones song? I don't think so, I find it (the studio version) a bit boring. Three note riff played on one string, not exciting stuff really if you ask me, yet it's their signature song. It was new though, that pedal made a sound people hadn't known before. They hadn't heard anything like it, so it opened their eyes to new possibilities. Compared to later music it's very simple and boring to me, but it's an important piece of work that set the stage for "The Greatest Rock And Roll Band In The World". When you older guys and gals heard that song back in '65 it may have been that eye-opening moment of epiphany where music suddenly turned from black and white to technicolor, as Keith describes his first Elvis experience, but when I played it for a friend in the 90's who hadn't heard it before, he laughed at it. It was just some old rickety lame song to that guy, and he asked me "Please tell me they sounded better than that when you saw them".

People may have perfected and expanded on what Elvis started, but Elvis started it.

Let Keith tell you why he's bigger...

Posted by: Munichhilton ()
Date: May 2, 2013 17:23

steffiestones

You haven't seen Mick in the Ain't Too Proud To Beg - never seen this thread have you?

The 70's were a bit of a....well of a.....whats the word I'm searching for...

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: May 2, 2013 17:47

NoCode0680

When was this? Ace to see him so sharp and animated. smiling smiley

Date: May 2, 2013 18:14

His Majesty
NoCode0680

When was this? Ace to see him so sharp and animated. smiling smiley

It's from the 2002 "Classic Albums" dedicated to Elvis' self-titled album.

Posted by: ssprings ()
Date: May 2, 2013 18:16

I had a fiftieth anniversary party for my parents this past weekend, and Elvis made a special guest appearance. But, none-the-less, there was plenty of stones played during the event as well, including Ronnie Wood's Oh-la-la during the slide show presentation.

...Misbred Grey Executive...

Posted by: James Kirk ()
Date: May 2, 2013 18:20

In no way is Elvis "bigger" than the Beatles. Elvis sells a fraction the cd's the Beatles sell.

As a matter of fact the Beatles sold more cd's than any musical act last decade than any act with the exception of Eminem despite not putting out any new music for 40 years...The Beatles are much bigger and it's not even close.

Date: May 2, 2013 18:23

James Kirk
In no way is Elvis "bigger" than the Beatles. Elvis sells a fraction the cd's the Beatles sell.

As a matter of fact the Beatles sold more cd's than any musical act last decade than any act with the exception of Eminem despite not putting out any new music for 40 years...The Beatles are much bigger and it's not even close.

You're talking commercially, I think the thread is talking about the critical aspect.

Posted by: James Kirk ()
Date: May 2, 2013 18:25

If that's the case the Beatles domination goes double. When the best albums list of all time is picked (by mags like Rolling Stone etc..) the Beatles dominate that list with several albums in the top ten and nearly their entire catalog represented...Elvis on the other hand usually gets a token album or two.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2013-05-02 18:26 by James Kirk.

Date: May 2, 2013 18:30

James Kirk
If that's the case the Beatles domination goes double. When the best albums list of all time is picked (by mags like Rolling Stone etc..) the Beatles dominate that list with several albums in the top ten and nearly their entire catalog represented...Elvis on the other hand usually gets a token album or two.

Rolling Stone only makes those lists to start debate and create buzz for their magazine. They intentionally try to create controversy with them. I enjoy taking a peek, and often agree with a lot of them, but they aren't the bible of critical thinking for rock music.

Posted by: Fuman2 ()
Date: May 2, 2013 18:35

The age of the person(s) polled.

Posted by: bestfour ()
Date: May 2, 2013 18:42

Most OVERRATED Artist of all time thumbs down

Posted by: dgodkin ()
Date: May 2, 2013 18:55

when elvis died in 77 it was like a family member passed love the stones beatles sinatra whoever but by a mile elvis was the greatest entertainer to walk this ground

Posted by: runaway ()
Date: May 2, 2013 18:59

Elvis should have knocked out " colonel Parker" for preventing to become really big in Europe!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-05-02 20:09 by runaway.

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2361
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home