Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Guitar Help: Star Star, Live With Me (Ya Ya's), Satisfaction (Ya Ya's)
Posted by: NoCode0680 ()
Date: May 1, 2013 05:04

I was wondering if any of our wise guitar gods could give me a hand with a few guitar questions.

1. Star Star - what the hell is the tuning for the rhythm guitar? privettricker has a video where he plays it in standard, but it doesn't match up with the album. When it comes to tunings I think he just plays it, like on HTW he just plays regular open G instead of sharpening it up, then adjusts the speed to make it sound right opposed to re-tuning his guitar. I'm sure he can play it, and knows the tuning (but he won't tell me) and does that because it's easier. One tab I saw has you tuning three strings half a step up and 3 half a step down. It didn't sound good.

2. Live With Me (Ya Ya's) - I have the Ya Ya's tab book, but for some reason they didn't even attempt the little lick that's played when Mick sings about his best friend shooting water rats. Anybody mind telling me what that lick is if they know? Maybe tab that little part out or something?

3. Satisfaction. During Taylor's little fill after, I think, the first chorus, the book is a little confusing. I can play the lick except the first note, and I don't know what it is. The book just shows you bending the open string (as it lists no fret just showing a bend on an empty B string) but it doesn't match up, whether I try to do something with the open string (where do I fret it to bend it then?) or just playing a b note and bending it on the g string.

If anybody can shed some light on those three things I'd appreciate it.

Re: Guitar Help: Star Star, Live With Me (Ya Ya's), Satisfaction (Ya Ya's)
Posted by: jazzbass ()
Date: May 1, 2013 05:23

Star Star should be standard tuning. Capo 3rd fret IIRC.

Date: May 1, 2013 05:40

jazzbass
Star Star should be standard tuning. Capo 3rd fret IIRC.

Maybe I have some messed up copy of GHS with the wrong speed or something, because that doesn't match up. It's essentially the same thing privettricker was playing, same chords only he didn't use a capo. It works on live versions, but it's way off from the studio version.

Date: May 1, 2013 08:44

No capo on Star Star. Standard tuning.

Posted by: GravityBoy ()
Date: May 1, 2013 08:49

It's any Chuck Berry song.

Standard tuning will do it.

Date: May 1, 2013 08:53

DandelionPowderman
No capo on Star Star. Standard tuning.

What do you play? Do you play it like most tabs and privettricker and riff on E, B and A? Because that doesn't match up on my end. It does for live versions, but not the one on Goats Head Soup.

Posted by: JakeA ()
Date: May 1, 2013 09:25

GHS version is out of tune,its between F and F#.

This guitar cover is close enough:

Posted by: Tricky76 ()
Date: May 1, 2013 09:52

What do you play? Do you play it like most tabs and privettricker and riff on E, B and A? Because that doesn't match up on my end. It does for live versions, but not the one on Goats Head Soup.

This happens with alot of albums, particularly older ones, where quirks of the recording/mixing/mastering process result in the pitch on the record varying slightly from Standard tuning as your guitar tuner understands it. IIRC some bands also varied the pitch on finished tracks to make the finished track sound tighter. Be aware that some bands also deliberately tune down half a step, either for a heavier sound or to match the vocal range of their singer.

I would exercise extreme caution learning from most YouTube videos - any joker can put up a video and alot of the ones I've seen are just plain wrong. The best bet is to rely on the live videos and, whilst sometimes the Stones play songs very differently live to their studio counterparts (Gimme Shelter, JJF etc) it can usually giove you a good starter.

Especially avoid any Youtuber who tells you Rocks Off is in open G....winking smiley

Date: May 1, 2013 11:50

Tricky76

This happens with alot of albums, particularly older ones, where quirks of the recording/mixing/mastering process result in the pitch on the record varying slightly from Standard tuning as your guitar tuner understands it. IIRC some bands also varied the pitch on finished tracks to make the finished track sound tighter. Be aware that some bands also deliberately tune down half a step, either for a heavier sound or to match the vocal range of their singer.

I would exercise extreme caution learning from most YouTube videos - any joker can put up a video and alot of the ones I've seen are just plain wrong. The best bet is to rely on the live videos and, whilst sometimes the Stones play songs very differently live to their studio counterparts (Gimme Shelter, JJF etc) it can usually giove you a good starter.

Especially avoid any Youtuber who tells you Rocks Off is in open G....winking smiley

Yes - older Stones, and especially Beatles albums are terrible/great re. this matter. Beatles adjusted speed often to make their voices sound higher. Or to make it easier to perform a tricky part. Eg - the piano solo on "In My Life" was played a very slow sxpeed and then brought back up to speed.

Date: May 1, 2013 13:45

JakeA

Ah, thanks Jake, I'll give that a try. That video is the video I tried using to learn it, by privettricker, but he doesn't mention needing the sharpness.

Tricky76

Yeah, I've run into it before. HTW gave me fits for a long time, because I couldn't find any tabs or videos which tell you the studio version is tuned a little sharp from Open G. Everybody just says Open G, but that won't work on the studio version. And being a teenager in the 90's I grew up tuning a half step down, as I'd say a majority of the Nirvana and Weezer catalogs are tuned a half step down, like Black Sabbath before them.

I've been using internet tabs long enough to know you have to take them with a grain of salt. Coming across a good tab is actually a rarity. Especially for Stones songs, there's a lot of junk out there for some reason. Lots of confusion over tuning for a lot of songs. I have a hard time learning from concert videos myself. You can never rely on the camera man to be shooting the guitar player when you want. There's no way you could learn songs watching Some Girls Live In Texas for instance, the camera is almost always on Mick. And as you said, they change the tuning. I can play the Ya Ya's versions of JJF, SFM, etc, in Open G. But those arrangements don't translate to the studio version.

As for Rocks Off, I actually haven't come across a tab or video that says to play Rocks Off in Open G. The ones I've seen have Taylor in standard (the part I usually play) and Keith in a modified Open G, in which the low E string stays E. I've never really attempted Keith's part, so I don't know if it's right. There are some people out there, usually Stones fans who have recently learned the term Open G for the first time, who go around to every single YouTube guitar cover, could be Time Is On My Side, saying "Keith only plays in Open G, you're wrong".

Posted by: liddas ()
Date: May 1, 2013 14:56

I've always played the studio version of Star Star in F, and it never occurred to me that it could have been sped up. I think it was done in F to start with: it's a tonality that Jagger likes, and I hear no open strings.

C

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: May 1, 2013 15:27

liddas
I've always played the studio version of Star Star in F, and it never occurred to me that it could have been sped up. I think it was done in F to start with: it's a tonality that Jagger likes, and I hear no open strings.

C

It originally was in F, but when transfered to the various CD formats it got sped up a bit.

Mathijs

Date: May 2, 2013 02:18

JakeA

OK, it fits, but it doesn't sound perfect or anything. Maybe it's just the production, but the album version sounds much thicker and more textured. I thought maybe tuning to Open G (and sharpening it up to get the key) and playing it that way instead of the two note chords might fatten the sound up, but it sounded pretty much the same.

Posted by: ohcarol ()
Date: May 2, 2013 04:35

Check out the Love You Live version! There is a guy on you tube thst has that one down cold!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1641
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home