Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234567Next
Current Page: 6 of 7
Re: Get Yer Ya Yas Out - what are everyone's thoughts?
Posted by: Redhotcarpet ()
Date: May 31, 2013 15:17

I think it's overrated and I think some of the songs were outdated or had not really matured.

JJF is great (Keith and Taylor not Jagger) but I still prefer the energy and raw high octane 1972 version. Mick sounded much much better in 1972.

Carol: Keith is good of course but compared to the Berry of 1972, Bye Bye Johnnie, this is kindergarten. BBJ is fantastic, Carol is boring.

Rambler is good (Keith that is) but in 1972 it's pure magic, cinematic and real at the same time, Taylor is a genius, Keith is the Rambler and Mick his victim. The 1972 version of Rambler is so much better than 1969. Its the year that song peaked and took them higher than ever.

Posted by: svt22 ()
Date: May 31, 2013 15:18

One of the best R&R vinyl ever released. I always skipped LQ.

Date: May 31, 2013 15:32

That little instrumental bridge in MR, where Keith is playing and Taylor is answering, features some of the finest playing ever, imo.

Posted by: Thrylan ()
Date: May 31, 2013 17:03

It's hot as hell!!! One hell of a resume builder for a young MT. A top three live LP of all time. (The aforementioned is an opinion, please be kind)

Posted by: Godxofxrock9 ()
Date: May 31, 2013 17:06

Best live album of all time

Posted by: roby ()
Date: May 31, 2013 17:11

Redhotcarpet
I think it's overrated and I think some of the songs were outdated or had not really matured.
>grinning smiley<

Posted by: rockdoc8885 ()
Date: May 31, 2013 19:32

Ya Ya's - GREATEST LIVE ALBUM EVER RELEASED BY ANYONE!

Okay, I'm a bit biased toward the Stones and there have been several outstanding live releases from other artists. If the Stones had ever officially released on record/cd either the Philly show in 1972 or the Brussels show the following year we might have a strong debate here.

As it stands, despite the release on MP3 of Brussels last year, Ya Ya's is the reigning champ of official releases on cd/vinyl/cassette/eight track (oh boy, never had one of those). Just my opinion.

Posted by: jamesfdouglas ()
Date: May 31, 2013 22:52

rockdoc8885

False.

[thepowergoats.com]

Posted by: sonomastone ()
Date: June 1, 2013 00:46

Thrylan
It's hot as hell!!! One hell of a resume builder for a young MT. A top three live LP of all time. (The aforementioned is an opinion, please be kind)

a resume builder for him? it was the pinnacle of his career.

Posted by: steini ()
Date: June 1, 2013 00:58

Everyone you you asked, it´s good and i like it a lot. But in my opinion it suffer a bit (or charming for some) that they are playing the first major tour and are not as good as they were 1972 and onwards. Bit slow and Jaggers singing not close to what he sounded later. Jumping jack is nothing like let´s say 1997 it lacks the edge and sharpness the thundering blitz. Good that Gimme Shelter was not on it because the singing from Jagger was well...just ok.

Date: June 1, 2013 03:24

sonomastone
Thrylan

Funny you would say that......been doing it and SF alot lately, and at the risk of getting killed here, I wonder; Did MTs career with the Stones start high, and regress? Taylorites seem to have a big hard on for GHS, and while I really like it, its not Exile, thats Keiths album, he is still hotter on SF, and GYYYO is hotter than hell. Opinions?

Date: June 1, 2013 03:26

Thrylan
sonomastone
Thrylan

Funny you would say that......been doing it and SF alot lately, and at the risk of getting killed here, I wonder; Did MTs career with the Stones start high, and regress? Taylorites seem to have a big hard on for GHS, and while I really like it, its not Exile, thats Keiths album, he is still hotter on SF, and GYYYO is hotter than hell. Opinions?

i think it was caught up in the general tide of the band's decline - keith and MT because of heroin, Mick because of his obsession for society developed upon meeting Bianca, etc....

Posted by: Sighunt ()
Date: June 1, 2013 03:41

rockdoc8885

Okay, I'm a bit biased toward the Stones and there have been several outstanding live releases from other artists. If the Stones had ever officially released on record/cd either the Philly show in 1972 or the Brussels show the following year we might have a strong debate here.

As it stands, despite the release on MP3 of Brussels last year, Ya Ya's is the reigning champ of official releases on cd/vinyl/cassette/eight track (oh boy, never had one of those). Just my opinion.

Next to Exile on Main street, this is probably my favorite Stones album. I would also rate it as arguably one of the best live albums released. It has definitive live versions of Midnight Rambler, Sympathy for the Devil, and Little Queenie- which one has to admit is as good or better than Chuck's version. I went through about a 1/2 dozen vinyl copies during my teen years. I was so passionate about this album that when the 40th anniversary was coming up, I obsessively rallied (and probably bugged the shit out of many people in the process including members of this board) to get the album released with extra tracks and the supporting musicians on it. I am still pissed that a whole concert DVD of MSG was not released with this set as I believe this would have made the expanded version of Ya Yas a stellar keep-sake for hardcore Stones fans. I was too young at the time, but I sometimes imagine what it would be like to be at Madison Square Garden to watch the Stones in their prime performing these "new numbers" as well as enjoying these incredible opening acts such as Tina Turner & B.B. King. What a line-up! If only...

Posted by: Rollin' Stoner ()
Date: June 1, 2013 03:57

wore out the grooves in the vinyl...played that one the most

Posted by: MileHigh ()
Date: June 1, 2013 04:50

Well I had "The Who Live at Leeds" sitting on my hard drive for years and finally decided to start listening to it while reading this thread. What is all the fuss about? Yes it sounds more natural but so what? I am not a big Who fan but I do like them. However, Live at Leeds is nothing compared to GYYYO! And with a single guitar player you are missing something.

I love the _sound_ of GYYYO. That slightly muddy "blasting rock" sound is thick and meaty. No other live Stones album has the "meat" that GYYYO has. Most other live material has a thinness to it.

GYYYO is going down in history.

Posted by: buffalo7478 ()
Date: June 1, 2013 05:27

I never get tired of this record.

I bought it on CD, but still prefer it on vinyl, with the clicks and pops leftover from being played during way too many parties in the 70s.

Posted by: oldschool ()
Date: June 1, 2013 05:29

Sighunt
rockdoc8885

Next to Exile on Main street, this is probably my favorite Stones album. I would also rate it as arguably one of the best live albums released. It has definitive live versions of Midnight Rambler, Sympathy for the Devil, and Little Queenie- which one has to admit is as good or better than Chuck's version. I went through about a 1/2 dozen vinyl copies during my teen years. I was so passionate about this album that when the 40th anniversary was coming up, I obsessively rallied (and probably bugged the shit out of many people in the process including members of this board) to get the album released with extra tracks and the supporting musicians on it. I am still pissed that a whole concert DVD of MSG was not released with this set as I believe this would have made the expanded version of Ya Yas a stellar keep-sake for hardcore Stones fans. I was too young at the time, but I sometimes imagine what it would be like to be at Madison Square Garden to watch the Stones in their prime performing these "new numbers" as well as enjoying these incredible opening acts such as Tina Turner & B.B. King. What a line-up! If only...

Great post! 69 is my favorite Stones tour and I would love to see the Maysles Brothers video of the tour finally be released. Also wish a box set of complete live shows from multitrack would get released someday.

Posted by: stonesrule ()
Date: June 1, 2013 05:34

Sonomastone, I don't agree with your particular take on the "band's decline."

I was around for those times in the Seventies. Mick had a friend and partner who became a mess because of heroin. This was devastating to Mick. Keith's very life and the life of the band were on the line.

Mick already knew many "society" figures...Bianca fed on this but she was NOT society. An alluring young woman trying to make her place in a world much more exciting than her Nicaragua environement. One might politely term her "an adventuress." If she had not become pregnant this was a relationship that would not have lasted very long. Mick was the caring parent in this marriage and he adored and did his best with Jade. He ultimately was hurt and disillusioned and led a very up and down existence. I doubt that Mick was particularly surprised by Keith's book because Keith had let him down in many different areas long before the publication of "Life."

Date: June 1, 2013 06:19

Or........if I may, the band finally started making money for themselves, Keith and MT did heroin, Bill did women, Charlie bought clothes and Mick the Narcissist married his female twin and became a real jet setter. MT and Jimmy Miller couldn't handle Keiths diet and ran for their lives..........and that period ran its course.

Date: June 1, 2013 06:48

Thrylan
Or........if I may, the band finally started making money for themselves, Keith and MT did heroin, Bill did women, Charlie bought clothes and Mick the Narcissist married his female twin and became a real jet setter. MT and Jimmy Miller couldn't handle Keiths diet and ran for their lives..........and that period ran its course.

yes, much better than my attempt at summarizing....

Date: June 1, 2013 06:50

stonesrule
Sonomastone, I don't agree with your particular take on the "band's decline."

I was around for those times in the Seventies. Mick had a friend and partner who became a mess because of heroin. This was devastating to Mick. Keith's very life and the life of the band were on the line.

Mick already knew many "society" figures...Bianca fed on this but she was NOT society. An alluring young woman trying to make her place in a world much more exciting than her Nicaragua environement. One might politely term her "an adventuress." If she had not become pregnant this was a relationship that would not have lasted very long. Mick was the caring parent in this marriage and he adored and did his best with Jade. He ultimately was hurt and disillusioned and led a very up and down existence. I doubt that Mick was particularly surprised by Keith's book because Keith had let him down in many different areas long before the publication of "Life."

sounds like the only part of what i said you that disagree with was bianca being the cause of mick's obsession with high society? i'm happy to concede that i may have fallen to the trap of blaming the spouse.

Date: June 1, 2013 06:52

oldschool

Great post! 69 is my favorite Stones tour and I would love to see the Maysles Brothers video of the tour finally be released. Also wish a box set of complete live shows from multitrack would get released someday.

the maysles have more unreleased footage? you make it sound like they filmed more shows of the tour? that would be very exciting...

Date: June 1, 2013 06:58

sonomastone
Thrylan

yes, much better than my attempt at summarizing....

I wasn't as polite. smiling smiley I believe the Mayles shot most of it, and ended up at Altamont because they were there, so to speak.

Posted by: oldschool ()
Date: June 1, 2013 17:31

sonomastone
oldschool

the maysles have more unreleased footage? you make it sound like they filmed more shows of the tour? that would be very exciting...

According to interviews I have read the MSG shows were not the only ones they filmed.

Here is an excerpt from an excellent article on the making of Gimme Shelter where Albert implies they may have also filmed Boston, Alabama, and Florida.

Albert Maysles recalls that he and his brother met with the group at the Plaza Hotel in New York, then went to Baltimore the next night — Nov. 26 — to see them in concert. He’d never seen the band before. “‘Oh, sure,’ we thought. ‘They are great.’ Then we came back and saw them again at the Plaza, because their Madison Square Garden performances were coming up. We didn’t just want to make a concert film, but we had a hunch it would be more than that — just what it was we didn’t know. We made a deal with them to go to Madison Square Garden and started filming. We got so excited we stuck with them for the next couple of weeks, going to Boston, Florida and Alabama.”

[www.salon.com]

I have read other interviews where Albert claims to have more video and SB audio of 69 shows so it may indeed exist but would have to search for them as I can't remember exactly where I read it.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2013-06-01 17:34 by oldschool.

Posted by: Eleanor Rigby ()
Date: June 1, 2013 18:34

great album..pity it didnt include satisfaction and UMT.

Posted by: Georges ()
Date: June 1, 2013 19:22

I have been listening to Get Yer Ya-ya’s Out millions times.
Here is the 40th anniversary box signed for me by Charlie.

Let's keep on listening to it.

Posted by: RobertJohnson ()
Date: June 1, 2013 19:59

A great live album of a great band ... I hope that they will release more material from this era. There is e.g. an (I've forgotten the location) incredible audience version of SFTD lasting about 8 or 9 minutes which is even far above the version on Get Yer Ya Yas Out. Keith and Mick T on the same level. Some mate posted it here few months ago.

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: June 2, 2013 14:23

It's not as good as this.

No vocal or guitar overdubs either. >grinning smiley<

Date: June 2, 2013 14:25

His Majesty
It's not as good as this.

No vocal or guitar overdubs either. >grinning smiley<

touche'

Posted by: UnpurePurist ()
Date: June 9, 2013 00:47

MR is incredible on this album; love playing along with it cool smiley

Goto Page: Previous1234567Next
Current Page: 6 of 7

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1570
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home