Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3
Re: OT ~ RIP - George Jones
Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: April 27, 2013 10:25

marianna
Didn't Keith cut "Say It's Not You" once? I can't remember which bootleg(s) it's on. Pretty weak compared to the original version. BTW, which country TV show had people singing with porches of little houses as a backdrop? I've seen Merle Haggard clips with similar sets. I'm thinking "Hee Haw," but there may have been other country music shows.

Wow - staggering. He was so great.

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: April 27, 2013 10:30

stonehearted

Not sad really. The man was desperate for a rest. God saw that and called him home.

At Jack Kerouac's funeral, Gregory Corso briefly contemplated grabbing the corpse from the coffin and throwing it across the room (or graveyard), but decided not to.[/quote]

Earning him the nickname Gregory Corpso!

Posted by: Munichhilton ()
Date: May 2, 2013 23:37

Well heckfire....you had to know that Kid Rock would ooze under some door to get onstage at the George Jones memorial show...

But on the other hand there were quite a few great players. Brad Paisley and Vince Gill...

Musicians who performed during the service included Alan Jackson, Vince Gill and Patty Loveless, Charlie Daniels, Kid Rock, Ronnie Milsap, Randy Travis, Travis Tritt, the Oak Ridge Boys, Wynonna Judd and Brad Paisley.

Other speakers included Tennessee Gov. Bill Haslam, former Arkansas Gov. Mike Huckabee, Kenny Chesney, Barbara Mandrell, Grand Ole Opry Vice President and General Manager Pete Fisher and Jones’ pastor, the Rev. Mike Wilson.

[www.latimes.com]

Date: May 2, 2013 23:52

umm george was very good friends with kid rock

Date: May 3, 2013 05:33

keefriffhard4life

Like they went to lunch and talked about their wives?

Date: May 3, 2013 06:11

Munichhilton
keefriffhard4life

like i've seen pictures of them together at eachothers house for b-day parties and such

Date: May 3, 2013 09:01

now you see why people dislike the current president of the USA. when whitney houston, a drug addict who never recovered and lost her voice, dies he asks for flags to be flown at half mast. when george jones dies, a legend who has been singing for over 60 years, shook hands with hank williams, elvis, johnny cash, roy orbison, jerry lee lewis and countless other legends, not even a mention by the persident. yes obama is probably not a country music fan but when someone of that pedigree dies from any genre of music something should be said by the president of the USA.

Posted by: BowieStone ()
Date: May 3, 2013 09:23

keefriffhard4life
now you see why people dislike the current president of the USA. when whitney houston, a drug addict who never recovered and lost her voice, dies he asks for flags to be flown at half mast. when george jones dies, a legend who has been singing for over 60 years, shook hands with hank williams, elvis, johnny cash, roy orbison, jerry lee lewis and countless other legends, not even a mention by the persident. yes obama is probably not a country music fan but when someone of that pedigree dies from any genre of music something should be said by the president of the USA.

Whitney Houston was a tragic death. America was shocked.
George Jones was 81. People die at 81.
Although I will miss George much more than Whitney.

Date: May 3, 2013 09:33

BowieStone
keefriffhard4life

and i bet if little richard died tomorrow the president would mention it.

Posted by: BowieStone ()
Date: May 3, 2013 10:21

keefriffhard4life
BowieStone
keefriffhard4life

and i bet if little richard died tomorrow the president would mention it.

If so, we'll talk again.

Date: May 3, 2013 16:20

keefriffhard4life
Munichhilton
keefriffhard4life

like i've seen pictures of them together at eachothers house for b-day parties and such

photoshop...

Posted by: belubettlo ()
Date: May 9, 2013 14:24

A Tribute to the Late George Jones - Bob Harris Country (2013)

Jones, who was 81, was regarded as one of - if not the - best country singers
of all time. His recording career, which stretched across seven decades, is
studded with classics of the genre, including "She Thinks I Still Care", "The Race Is On",
"If The Drinking Don't Kill Me (Her Memory Will)" and the song widely considered to be
the greatest country song of all time "He Stopped Loving Her Today".
In addition, his duets with Tammy Wynette - who he also married - were a
huge success, doubtless enhanced by their famously turbulent private life.

55 Min @ 128

BBC R2, 2 May 2013

Tribute to George Jones

Posted by: latebloomer ()
Date: November 24, 2013 04:23

Stars Honor George Jones at Massive Nashville Tribute Concert
Alan Jackson, Brad Paisley, Kid Rock and more than a hundred others turn out for the Possum's final 'no show'

Music giants from George Strait and Garth Brooks to Sam Moore and Megadeth were among a whopping 112 artists who turned out to honor the late, great George Jones last night at a concert co-host Charlie Chase called "the largest tribute event in music history."

Clocking in a few minutes shy of the four-hour mark and boasting a set list spanning nearly 50 songs, the Opry-style marathon of duets, touching tributes and all-star jams – cleverly billed as Playin’ Possum! The Final No Show – was originally announced over a year ago as Jones’ star-studded farewell concert. But that changed in April, when the country legend died at the age of 81.

Though Jones was there at Nashville’s Bridgestone Arena in spirit only – his rocking chair sat empty on stage, in front of his longtime backing band and last night’s house band, the Jones Boys – Blake Shelton, Miranda Lambert, Brad Paisley, Vince Gill, Emmylou Harris, Kid Rock, Alan Jackson, Eric Church, Charlie Daniels and Jamey Johnson were among the artists on hand to sing for him.

"I think I was named after George," country icon, Jones footstep-follower and current CMA Entertainer of the Year winner George Strait joked near the night’s end, before bringing the house down with a faithful rendition of the 1974 Number One "The Grand Tour" – an obvious influence on Strait’s own butter-voiced classic "The Chair." It was just one highlight among many in a show overloaded with emotional moments.

At Jones’ similarly star-studded memorial service in May, Vince Gill broke down during a duet with Patty Loveless, nearly taking the entire crowd gathered at the Grand Ole Opry House with him. Though last night the Clapton of Country kept his composure while singing a stirring, bell-clear "Bartender’s Blues" – a song he noted was his favorite Jones number – his performance was every bit as effective in eliciting a sense of transcendence. And one that was rivaled only by Alan Jackson’s finale performance of Jones’ signature saloon-slow-dance-staple "He Stopped Loving Her Today," which the singer finished while holding Jones’ widow Nancy in an emotional embrace.

But hours earlier, almost without question, R&B legend Sam Moore turned in the show-stopper of the night when he crooned the country-soul serenade "Blues Man" – a Hank Williams Jr.-penned tuned Jones cut as a duet with Dolly Parton in 2005. Singing the down-on-both-knees-begging-for-forgiveness ballad directly to Nancy Jones, seated front row center, Moore’s quivering rasp cut through the coliseum.

Link to full article:

[www.rollingstone.com]

Date: April 26, 2014 08:25

a little something i just wrote in the memory of one of my favorite country artists.

1 year ago we lost the greatest voice in country music. a career in music that spanned over 60 years along the way jones rubbed elbows with hank williams, patsy cline, elvis, johnny cash, waylon jennings, conway twitty, willie nelson, jerry lee lewis and many other music legends. hugely influential on country music many consider him the greatest singer in country music history. despite not writing a lot of his material jones was always able to connect emotionally with the songs he chose to record by other writers, pour his heart into the songs and make them his own. unlike most country you hear on the radio today jones never came off as phony or stagged because through women, drinking and drugs he lived the life he sang about. the soul of his voice and performances came from his own life experience which is something lacking in country music today. we miss you george. thanks for the 60 years of memories

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: April 26, 2014 11:41

Thumper Jones ....

ROCKMAN

Posted by: vudicus ()
Date: April 26, 2014 13:54

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-04-26 19:22 by vudicus.

Goto Page: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1649
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home