Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3
Re: OT ~ RIP - George Jones
Date: April 26, 2013 19:47

GumbootCloggeroo
24FPS
Country music is now officially dead.
Huh? What about Willie Nelson and Merle Haggard?

ray price still going too.

Posted by: Ross ()
Date: April 26, 2013 20:02

As good as country music gets...

Posted by: BowieStone ()
Date: April 26, 2013 20:16

Very sad news.
R.I.P. One of the greats.

Posted by: tnhybrid ()
Date: April 26, 2013 20:22

Sad day here in Nashville. Can't even listen to 'He Stopped Loving Her' as it reminds me of my parents... and it's on non-stop! *sob* (The Keith Urban cover on Youtube is awesome, tho)

video: [www.youtube.com]

"Just a poor girl in a rich man's house" * Rockin' in Nashville, TN!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-04-26 20:40 by tnhybrid.

Posted by: Munichhilton ()
Date: April 26, 2013 20:37

His Majesty
Munichhilton
Not sad really. The man was desperate for a rest. God saw that and called him home.

No, his body just stopped working enough to keep him alive.

That's exactly what I wrote...keep up when you can...

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: April 26, 2013 20:37

RIP George Jones.

The Corvette Song (The One I loved Back Then)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-04-26 20:43 by Hairball.

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: April 26, 2013 20:41

FrankM
Without guys like him would The Rolling Stones exist? Yes, but they wouldn't be quite the same band. RIP.

Is he a big influence on the Stones? Certainly, very few people would have heard of him in 1950's Britain, or even today for that matter, actually. I'm guessing Keith perhaps discovered him during one of his later country-inspired phases

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: April 26, 2013 20:59

Munichhilton
His Majesty
Munichhilton
Not sad really. The man was desperate for a rest. God saw that and called him home.

No you didn't, you brought that god nonsense in to it.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-04-26 21:00 by His Majesty.

Date: April 26, 2013 21:18

His Majesty
Munichhilton
His Majesty
Munichhilton

Yeah! Cool huh? Didja see how I did that using Elvis' epitaph?

Date: April 26, 2013 21:27

Munichhilton

Cool huh?

No.

Posted by: FrankM ()
Date: April 26, 2013 21:30

Munichhilton
His Majesty
Munichhilton
His Majesty
Munichhilton

Great epitaph!

Date: April 26, 2013 21:33

His Majesty
Munichhilton

Cool huh?

No.

I love you Philip...

Date: April 26, 2013 21:38

Munichhilton
His Majesty
Munichhilton

Cool huh?

No.

I love you Philip...

I don't believe you. grinning smiley

Posted by: tomk ()
Date: April 26, 2013 22:03

His Majesty
Munichhilton
His Majesty
Munichhilton

Cool huh?

No.

I love you Philip...

I don't believe you. grinning smiley

Hey, I didn't know you were Richard Dawkins.

Posted by: Angus MacBagpipe ()
Date: April 26, 2013 23:03

FrankM
Munichhilton
His Majesty
Munichhilton
His Majesty
Munichhilton

Great epitaph!

Clearly the lesson is: don't look tired or the big guy in the sky will grab you.

Date: April 26, 2013 23:32

Angus MacBagpipe
FrankM
Munichhilton
His Majesty
Munichhilton
His Majesty
Munichhilton

Great epitaph!

Clearly the lesson is: don't look tired or the big guy in the sky will grab you.

careful Angus...you shall awaken Philip...

Posted by: marianna ()
Date: April 27, 2013 00:34

Didn't Keith cut "Say It's Not You" once? I can't remember which bootleg(s) it's on. Pretty weak compared to the original version. BTW, which country TV show had people singing with porches of little houses as a backdrop? I've seen Merle Haggard clips with similar sets. I'm thinking "Hee Haw," but there may have been other country music shows.

Posted by: tomcasagranda ()
Date: April 27, 2013 00:35

Yes: RIP, possum.

Keith may have, being a huge Jerry Lee Lewis fan, come across George Jones' recordings as both the Killer and the Possum recorded honky tonk country. If you turned over Great Balls of Fire, in the 50s, you'd get the Killer doing pure honky tonk country, i.e You Win Again as a B Side.

Gram Parsons was also a huge fan of George Jones, and pointed out Say It's Not You as a great tune. Keith also recorded Say It's Not You in 1977, while under arrest.

Another way that Keith would have discovered George Jones is that Gene Pitney, in 1963, recorded a duets album with George, and bearing in mind how Gene, and Phil Spector, assisted on the England's Newest Hitmakers' album, and it wouldn't be that difficult for Keith to hear the newest Gene Pitney album.

Re: George Jones
Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: April 27, 2013 00:35

Love and light to him, and thanks and praises

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: April 27, 2013 00:44

Munichhilton
Angus MacBagpipe
FrankM
Munichhilton
His Majesty
Munichhilton
His Majesty
Munichhilton

Great epitaph!

Now that's more like IORR--a near flame war in a death thread. Sort of like people arguing and fighting at a funeral--like in that Stephen King movie Pet Semetary.

Posted by: tomcasagranda ()
Date: April 27, 2013 00:46

stonehearted
Munichhilton
Angus MacBagpipe
FrankM
Munichhilton
His Majesty
Munichhilton
His Majesty
Munichhilton

Great epitaph!

Now that's more like IORR--a near flame war in a death thread. Sort of like people arguing and fighting at a funeral--like in that Stephen King movie Pet Semetary.

David Carradine actually slapped the daylights out of Gene Clark's corpse, and that was at Clark's funeral.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: April 27, 2013 01:14

Sad News .... Thanks George... you sang 'em great ...

ROCKMAN

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: April 27, 2013 01:19

tomcasagranda
stonehearted
Munichhilton
Angus MacBagpipe
FrankM
Munichhilton
His Majesty
Munichhilton
His Majesty
Munichhilton

Great epitaph!

David Carradine actually slapped the daylights out of Gene Clark's corpse, and that was at Clark's funeral.

At Jack Kerouac's funeral, Gregory Corso briefly contemplated grabbing the corpse from the coffin and throwing it across the room (or graveyard), but decided not to.

What I was thinking of are those who put their ideological issues and differences before the ceremony, like people who break into fistfights at weddings.

Here's one from Philadelphia, from which the bride's uncle later died.

And here's some funeral fighting, one of them at the funeral of a 1-year-old boy--just like in Stephen King's Pet Sematary

Posted by: MadMax ()
Date: April 27, 2013 03:13

Truly one of the best!

RIP Mr. George Jones

Your voice will be missed

Date: April 27, 2013 03:18

tomk

Hey, I didn't know you were Richard Dawkins.

Munichhilton
Angus MacBagpipe

Good banter. thumbs up

Posted by: latebloomer ()
Date: April 27, 2013 03:25

Here's a really fine tribute to George Jones, beautifully written by Ian Crouch in The New Yorker. Think I'm going to have to go listen to Tender Years now.

[www.newyorker.com]

George Jones, the man with perhaps the most distinctive and iconic voice in country music, died on Friday in Nashville at the age of eighty-one.

In the first moments after the news broke, thousands of people reached the same conclusion at the same time, a nice instance of hive-mind solidarity, and the Spotify and YouTube tracking numbers will surely reveal a massive spike for his song “He Stopped Loving Her Today,” which is one of the great sad songs in the American songbook, written by Bobby Braddock and Curly Putman. Jones took it to No. 1 on the country charts in 1980. Great artists are always preparing us for their deaths, giving us, through their careers, the tools with which to remember them. But rarely is a song so apt. “He Stopped Loving Her Today” is the ur-country story song, about a man who’d never gotten over his broken heart.

The words are fine, but they don’t do the song, or Jones, much justice. His voice was the source of envy, and sometimes envious parody, among his peers. In its most notable and glorious movement, his voice bent and twanged like the sound an old saw makes when you give it a shake. He found vowels in words where no one had ever seen them before. Other pop singers have possessed what is often called “an instrument,” but Jones’s voice was the closest to making this expression real: it was a thing, like a reliable tool dusted off in an old shed, smooth in places, rough in others. It was like honey that had caught a few specks of dirt.

“He Stopped Loving Her Today” came along at a time when Jones really needed it. It had been six years since he’d had a No. 1 hit, and he’d spent most of those, and the ones before it, mired in bouts of brutal, destructive, and massively anti-social alcoholism. Booze ruined his first marriage, and gave the world the notorious tale of how Jones, his car keys hidden by his wife, once left home on a riding lawn mower to put-put down the highway to a liquor store. At his worst, Jones could be a country-music caricature. Later, he made a cruel mess of the nineteen-seventies: alcohol and cocaine left him broke. The stories of Jones’s drunken antics are legion, and while their hard-living, hard-loving particulars might inspire a bit of awe (and gave him cred with rock and punk artists), just ask the women in his life what it was like to live with him. Yet, even in some of his lowest personal moments, Jones created great, signature music. He recorded “Bartender’s Blues,” written by James Taylor, in 1978. His rendering of the chorus, with its “four walls around me to hold my life,” may be the best expression of his incredible vocal gifts—despair and joy fighting out their eternal battle.

The recording sessions for “He Stopped Loving Her Today” took a long time, and were contentious. Jones was capricious and unreliable—other words for saying that he was a drunk. He never liked his nicknames. “Possum” disparaged his middling looks. “No Show Jones” impugned his reliability and professionalism. Both were unkind, and both were deserved. He idolized Hank Williams, and it seemed like he was bound to follow him to an early grave. Yet “He Stopped Loving Her Today” was a hit, and three years later, at rock bottom, Jones quit the drinking and drugs, and lived on for three more decades, making music, recording too many albums, lending his golden voice to innumerable duets. He was Nashville royalty, name-checked by every young country singer with any sense. He’d been married to his third wife, Nancy, for those thirty years. In the end, he wasn’t the lonely, regretful man in his most famous song.

Jones’s songs lifted country-music aphorisms to a kind of high art, and his life and now death seem to demand aphorism as well, something blunt and simple like: George Jones was an imperfect man with a perfect voice. He lived like a devil and sang like an angel. Well, sure, but let’s skip that. There have been more interesting country singers, better musicians, and songwriters that have left a more indelible stamp on the genre. George Jones was, like Frank Sinatra, a gunslinger for hire—and he probably recorded as many bad songs as he did good ones. But let’s say, for today, that the good ones won out, and the best are the best there are: sad songs (“Things Have Gone to Pieces”) love songs (“Golden Ring,” with his longtime duet partner Tammy Wynette, who was also his wife and then his ex-wife), funny songs (“The Race Is On”), and silly songs (“The One I Loved Back Then”).

It’s barely after noon on the east coast, probably too early for a whiskey. But later, if you’ve got a moment, pour a couple of fingers and cue up some George. I’d start with one of his earliest hits, “Tender Years,” which was recorded in 1961 but may have been the best thing he ever did. George Jones outran and outlived his shadow for half a decade. He lived a long time. But his best songs are short. “Tender Years” runs at 2:28; you may want to set it on repeat.

Posted by: GADAWG ()
Date: April 27, 2013 06:17

Opossum you will be truly missed. Looks like the No Show Jones moniker will live at least through the remainder of your tour dates.

Rest easy my friend.

Posted by: sanQ ()
Date: April 27, 2013 08:37

Really unexpected. I was hoping to catch him one more time in concert. I am glad I got to see him and hear him sing. The best part of the show was his duet on Same Old Me. Better than the studio recording.

Posted by: peter wilson ()
Date: April 27, 2013 08:47

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: April 27, 2013 10:22

Munichhilton
His Majesty
Munichhilton

Cool huh?

No.

I love you Philip...

Aw shucks. Do we have a blossoming romance?

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1083
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home