Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Which of these groups should call it a day?
Posted by: Bliss ()
Date: April 20, 2013 13:29

This is what's on offer for the spring and summer. Surely some of them need to retire.

11th June - The Killers
17th June - Slayer - Atlantico Live di Roma
21st June - Toto
25th June - Korn
30th June - Radiohead
3rd July - Snoop Dogg
4th July - Iggy & the Stooges
6th July - Muse - Stadio Olimpico
7th July - Leonard Cohen - Foro Italico
9th July - Sting - Foro Italico
9th July - Rammstein
10th July - Arctic Monkeys
11th July - Bruce Springsteen
13th July - Mark Knopfler
14th July - The Smashing Pumpkins
16th July - Atoms for Peace
17th July - Lenny Kravitz
20th July - Depeche Mode - Stadio Olimpico
22nd July - Deep Purple
23rd July - Ben Harper
26th July - Neil Young & Crazy Horse
28th July - Pink Floyd - Stadio Olimpico
29th July - Blur
2nd Aug - Placebo

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-04-20 14:31 by Bliss.

Re: Which of these groups should call it a day?
Posted by: tatters ()
Date: April 20, 2013 13:35

You're going to see Pink Floyd this summer?

Posted by: windmelody ()
Date: April 20, 2013 13:51

Toto, Toto, Toto and Toto. Slayer are too disgusting to think about. Did I already write that Toto ought to stay at home?

Posted by: Whale ()
Date: April 20, 2013 13:53

windmelody
Toto, Toto, Toto and Toto. Slayer are too disgusting to think about. Did I already write that Toto ought to stay at home?
Toto should have quit before they ever started.

Posted by: BowieStone ()
Date: April 20, 2013 14:21

Whale
windmelody
Toto should have quit before they ever started.

They're good musicians. A lot of those members played on Michael Jackson albums.
Jeff Porcaro was a fantastic drummer. Steve Lukather is a fine guitarist.
Their music is quite corny, but I have to admit I like quite a lot of their singles.

Come on people; 'Georgy Porgy' and 'Hold the Line' are great songs. And those singles from 'IV' are excellent pop songs.

Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: April 20, 2013 14:54

The Stones aren't on that list.

Posted by: crumbling_mice ()
Date: April 20, 2013 14:55

Pink Floyd? I must have missed the announcement for the reunion gig!

Posted by: uhbuhgullayew ()
Date: April 20, 2013 14:59

windmelody

Toto knows all too well that there's no place like home.

Posted by: NoCode0680 ()
Date: April 20, 2013 15:46

I'm not a big fan of the new "Smashing Pumpkins", or "Billy Corgan And Friends" as most people call it. Lineup changes in a band don't bother me all that much, but the choices he made look weird. Like he tried replacing original members with facsimiles so that maybe casual fans wouldn't notice Billy is the only original member on stage. Maybe it's just coincidence, but he just so happens to hire a female bass player and an Asian guitarist to replace the old female bass player and Asian guitarist? Maybe they really were the best musicians he auditioned, I don't know, but you have to admit it looks kind of funny.

Placebo should be a good show, I enjoy their music. I'm not what you'd call a "fan", but I discovered them in high school and everything I've listened to of theirs I've liked. They seem a little emo or something, but it's good tunes at least. Though I can't imagine Brian Molko is a barrel of laughs between numbers though.

The Killers should be a good show, I like them. Up until this last album, which I'm not crazy about. They seem to be drifting further away from rock and more into synth type stuff. That "Runaways" song sounds straight out of the 80's or something. Which is kind of cool, but I can't listen to it as much as I did their more rockin' stuff. Can't fault them for experimenting, though they've always had some synth in there, just seems like it's starting to come more to the forefront.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: April 20, 2013 15:49

fans that live in glass houses shouldn't throw stones.

Posted by: schillid ()
Date: April 20, 2013 15:51

^^^ NC, big signature ^^^

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-04-20 15:51 by schillid.

Posted by: Irix ()
Date: April 20, 2013 16:45

tatters

crumbling_mice

I was also wondering. What he meant is the Roger Waters Tour 2013 "The Wall Live".

Posted by: tatters ()
Date: April 20, 2013 16:52

Irix
tatters

crumbling_mice

I was also wondering. What he meant is the Roger Waters Tour 2013 "The Wall Live".

That's like buying a Paul McCartney ticket and telling people you're going to see the Beatles, which, in a sense, I guess you are.

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: April 20, 2013 21:26

Well, Leonard Cohen actually was retired before his unscrupulous manager absconded with all his money. He works now because he has to.

Cohen sacked Lynch in 2004, after she had been his manager for 17 years. She had stolen millions of dollars from his accounts, and in 2006 a court ordered her to pay him $9.5m (£5.4m).

Full story at: [www.guardian.co.uk]

Posted by: stonesrule ()
Date: April 20, 2013 22:10

Feel free to disagree but Lenny Kravitz has never been one of my favorites.

Posted by: BlackHat ()
Date: April 20, 2013 22:14

Why should any of the groups call it a day? Surely they have as much right to pursue their art into their 70s just like the Rolling Stones. Perhaps the Stones should call it a day?

Date: April 20, 2013 23:37

I'm really surprised people haven't mentioned The Who in this thread, as they are usually at the top of everyone's "too old to rock n roll". Not my feeling, mind you, as I saw their Quadrophenia and More tour last year, and I cannot recommend it enough. They are also continuing with this tour into the summer.

Posted by: seitan ()
Date: April 20, 2013 23:49

Bliss
This is what's on offer for the spring and summer. Surely some of them need to retire.

11th June - The Killers
17th June - Slayer - Atlantico Live di Roma
21st June - Toto
25th June - Korn
30th June - Radiohead
3rd July - Snoop Dogg
4th July - Iggy & the Stooges
6th July - Muse - Stadio Olimpico
7th July - Leonard Cohen - Foro Italico
9th July - Sting - Foro Italico
9th July - Rammstein
10th July - Arctic Monkeys
11th July - Bruce Springsteen
13th July - Mark Knopfler
14th July - The Smashing Pumpkins
16th July - Atoms for Peace
17th July - Lenny Kravitz
20th July - Depeche Mode - Stadio Olimpico
22nd July - Deep Purple
23rd July - Ben Harper
26th July - Neil Young & Crazy Horse
28th July - Pink Floyd - Stadio Olimpico
29th July - Blur
2nd Aug - Placebo

Bruce Springsteen, Leonard Cohen,Iggy & the Stooges are the only good ones on that list - everyone else on that list of yours should retire.

Posted by: jazzbass ()
Date: April 20, 2013 23:49

stonesrule
Feel free to disagree but Lenny Kravitz has never been one of my favorites.

I disagree. Lenny Kravits IS one of your favorites.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: April 21, 2013 00:17

To be honest, they ALL can retire.

Posted by: Bliss ()
Date: April 21, 2013 00:26

RollingFreak
The Stones aren't on that list.

That's because they're not coming to Rome. angry smiley

Posted by: Max'sKansasCity ()
Date: April 21, 2013 02:02

I wonder how certain people here will feel when they are someday told that they have reached a certain age, they are too old , and they can no longer do what they still enjoy doing, just because they have reached a certain age?

Posted by: Nats ()
Date: April 21, 2013 02:21

Placebo-Forget waterboarding if someone ever wants to torture me just lock me in a room where all i can hear is their records.

Posted by: TMONTANA ()
Date: April 21, 2013 02:25

Well ,if ur a banker,or work in an office age doesn't matter,but playing Rock and Roll at 70,in skinny jeans and singing about getting laid is laughable,l mean they ain't Muddy Waters or any of the other great blues men.....

Posted by: ab ()
Date: April 21, 2013 18:20

A band should retire when it doesn't need to work anymore, doesn't want to work anymore, has no one willing to give it a gig, or no one to attend a gig. If you think a band is past its sell-by date, don't pay to see 'em. But otherwise, it's not my place to make anyone retire.

Posted by: rovalle ()
Date: April 21, 2013 20:32

NOT ON THE LIST BUT ANY OF THE GRATEFUL DEAD RELATED REMNANTS BANDS,,,THEY'RE ALL TERRIBLE AND THIS FROM A DEAD HEAD WHO WENT TO HIS FIRST SHOW IN 1967, PLEASE EXCUSE THE CAPS, DIDN'T REALIZE THEY WERE ON AND I'M TO LAZY TO RE-TYPE...

Posted by: Dan ()
Date: April 21, 2013 20:35

No interest in seeing Slayer without Dave Lombardo and Jeff Hanneman

Scabbing Pumpkins was kind of fun in 2008, for free.

Sting, lamer than lame with or without The Police and they were great in their time.

Posted by: NoCode0680 ()
Date: April 21, 2013 20:56

Dan
Scabbing Pumpkins was kind of fun in 2008, for free.

I've only seen them once, and it was with the mostly original lineup, the drummer was the only replacement at the time, when they opened for The Stones at Texas Motor Speedway. I guess you can say I saw them for free, I paid to see the Stones, the fact that Smashing Pumpkins were playing was a "bonus". I would have paid the same ticket price even if Nickelback were opening. They were OK, but very dead on stage. Corgan/Iha/D'arcy were all kind of feuding around this time (and a lot of other times), I think the rift that led to the total disbanding started at this time, so that may have played a part in that. They were all just sort of cemented in one place, expressionless, and seemed to be going through the motions, in their own little worlds. The most exciting part of the show was at the end when Billy was swinging his guitar around and pretending like he was going to smash it up before leaving the stage, after everybody else had already walked off, then after getting the crowd all whipped up (it was about time) he set the guitar down on a stand and walked off stage without acknowledging the crowd at all. They may be a great live band (of course besides Corgan it's an entirely different band, so it may be a totally different experience now), but based on that experience (and maybe they phone it in as an opening band) I wouldn't pay to see them, in fact after seeing that show I was never as much of a fan of them as I had been. They came across as very douchey to me. Plus I haven't really enjoyed anything they've put out since '95. I absolutely loved "Mellon Collie and the Infinite Sadness" though, that was one of the biggest albums to come out when I was a teenager. EVERYBODY had it, as Wayne Campbell said about Frampton Comes Alive... "Everybody in the world had it. If you lived in the suburbs you were issued it. It came in the mail with samples of "Tide"."

Posted by: buffalo7478 ()
Date: April 22, 2013 01:15

I am not familiar with Rammstein or Slayer, so I can't comment on them.

Candidates that could retire: Toto, Deep Purple (depending on what version this is) and Pink Floyd.

But the oneleft off the list that MOST needs to retire, that is playing live this Summer: The Stones.

They have less to add to their career or legacy that 90% of the bands on this list. I am not a Depeche Mode fan, but at least they are still creative.

None are making the money grab that the Stones are. The Stones Tour is an embarrassment.

Date: April 22, 2013 01:56

buffalo7478
Candidates that could retire: Pink Floyd.

Pink Floyd retired in the mid-90s. The final studio album to be released under (the Dave Gilmour led version) the Pink Floyd name was The Division Bell in 1994, which they then toured behind.

They only reunited in 2005 as a one-off, for a 23-minute set at Live 8.

Most recently, Dave Gilmour released and toured behind the album On An Island in 2006, but has since not announced any plans to record and release a follow-up.

Roger Waters continues to tour with shows featuring The Wall.

Pink Floyd keyboardist Rick Wright died in 2008 at age 65.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1909
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home