Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Satisfaction from Gimme Shelter movie, Best Stones Live Performance?
Posted by: mikesnaps ()
Date: February 17, 2005 14:37

I've just watched my Gimme Shelter DVD (again). The live rendition of satisfaction from that movie always leaves me in awe.
For me that song performed in that film is the best live performance I have heard/seen from the Stones.
A couple of questions, is it Keith or Mick T. that plays the piercing lead work in Satisfaction and does anyone know if there were any overdubs added on to enhance the performance for the release of the film?
And what is the best Stones track live you guys have seen and/or heard?

Re: Satisfaction from Gimme Shelter movie, Best Stones Live Performance?
Posted by: Esky ()
Date: February 17, 2005 14:56

Ahh Mike...yes a classic rendition - Satisfaction on the 1969 Tour is the best version they have done of this classic.

Now - watch the movie carefully (especially Richards & Taylor), check out their clothing - it changes! Satisfaction from the Gimme Shelter movie is spliced together from New York 27th show with New York 28th second show!!! Don't know why they did this, but it has been done either due to a technical flaw in the film/sound or Jagger thought his part didn't sound that good....but it is hardly recognisable.

But the full (non spliced) versions from the available New York shows are BRILLIANT !!!!

It's Mick Taylor (of course) that plays his trademark stinging vibrato on Satisfaction - in fact, one of his best solos you'll ever hear!!

Esky

I respect women who can suck golf balls through a garden hose....

Date: February 17, 2005 15:03

Thanks for the info Esky. Wow, all the times I've watched that DVD I never noticed the clothing changes! I never realised the track was a combo from two performances.

Posted by: Esky ()
Date: February 17, 2005 15:31

Yeah and unfortunately it is incomplete. I mean the normal running time of Satisfaction on the '69 Tour was around 5-6 minutes long!! On GS movie we only get around 3 minutes of glory....

We gotta find it....!!!

Esky

I respect women who can suck golf balls through a garden hose....

Posted by: Shawn20 ()
Date: February 17, 2005 15:40

And when I get home in the morning, I want some satisfaction....in the morning??? What a fantastic line. Jagger, after whoring about all night, wants some "satisfaction." The Stones at their politically incorrect best.

Posted by: Cafaro ()
Date: February 17, 2005 15:42

That version is without question the Stones at their best.

Posted by: LOGIE ()
Date: February 17, 2005 15:50

Great version of a song that I've never particularly liked.

Posted by: Rorty ()
Date: February 17, 2005 16:21

Yes, a superb and fresh performance of their most clichest song. I need to admit that I also rate very high their sloppy and out of tune but raw and angry version in Stones in the Park.. I would prefer the edged attitude and natural energy of that performance to any technically better post-1969 version.

- Doxa

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: February 17, 2005 16:30

How about the Leeds 1971 version with the horns?

Date: February 17, 2005 16:39

The version on Live at Leeds is cool with the horns....much more soul flavored.

IMHO, I feel that the 69 Satisfaction and the 73 Brussels Midnight Rambler are their best live performances that I have in my collection

Posted by: hot stuff ()
Date: February 17, 2005 16:45

i agree,
there is no better version of g.s., satisfaction and under my thumb.. 1969 was a cool period for the stones.. i loved how taylor and richards worked together. their sound was unmatched...

Posted by: The Joker ()
Date: February 17, 2005 16:48

Agree : maybe the best Stones performance ever.

By the way, what is singing Jagger when looking at the fish-eyed camera during the instrumental break - is it English or Martian? More probably pre hip-hop style
o wap
Sounds like "ah ah ma ma ah ma ma ma ma, ah ah ma ma ah ma ma ma ma, a pre sho mama pre sho , weeeeeeeee gonna get it

As someone another textual report of the scene?

Posted by: The Joker ()
Date: February 17, 2005 17:17

1969 sounds like a mating ritual between Richards and Taylor.

Date: February 17, 2005 17:21

It's interesting to think what their sound would have been if Altamont hadn't happened and they hadn't dropped the whole macho, evil thing. Their sound certaining changed quite a bit from 69 to 70-73. It was almost like they were a hard rock band in 69 with a real tough image (using the Hell's Angels twice) to a sort of cabaret/soul "act".

Posted by: fxc1 ()
Date: February 17, 2005 17:54

What Bootleg is that on?
thanks

Posted by: ChrisM ()
Date: February 17, 2005 18:34

Right on mikesnaps! That version of Satisfaction waranks as one of my favorite versions of that song and is a great reworking. Definitely one of my favorite Stones performances! Mick T and Keith had their best guitar interplay during the '69 tour. They really blended well together then. Have ny guitarists out there tried this version?

Posted by: MCDDTLC ()
Date: February 17, 2005 18:47

Hey -what about Jumpin Jack Flash from the movie; Gimme Shelter???

This is my favorite version of this song live, especially Taylor's "short" lead at the end of that song - excellent!!!

MLC

Posted by: davido ()
Date: February 17, 2005 22:27

If I'm not mistaken the Stones were
doing the Otis Redding version of Satisfaction
in 1969, and for a good many years. Interesting,
but not my personal favourite.

Date: February 18, 2005 02:36

Thanks for the above responses. Does ayone know if the Nov 27&28th 1969 performances are available as bootlegs?

And if so what are the names of these boots.?

I would love to hear satisfaction in it's unedited glory from those two seminal performances.

Posted by: JumpingKentFlash ()
Date: February 18, 2005 02:42

A good rendition of the song, but I'll take the versions from '94, '95, '97 and '98 any day. They first learned how to play Satisfaction properly on these tours IMO.

JumpingKentFlash

Date: February 18, 2005 02:48

You are kidding aren't you Kent?
In my opinion, nothing the guys have done on those tours you mentioned holds a candle to their magical playing on the 69 tour.
That's OK, us Stones fanatics can agree to disagree.

Posted by: JumpingKentFlash ()
Date: February 18, 2005 03:17

No I ain't kidding Mike. The versions from the tours I mentioned is far better than the more bluesy '69 versions I think. So we agree to disagree you see. winking smiley

JumpingKentFlash

Date: February 18, 2005 14:37

Each to their own my friend.
I'd take the 69 versions anyday over the at times lifeless latter versions which are totally devoid of spontanaiety and inspired guitar playing.

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: February 18, 2005 14:54

mikesnaps Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> > And what is the best Stones track live you guys
> have seen and/or heard?

Heard - unquestionably the version of "Midnight Rambler" that's on "Brussels Affair"

I've seen far too many in person to single one performance out, although I've always enjoyed the above song and "Sympathy" in concert very much (I really enjoyed SFTD in Anaheim in 2002 to name but one)

Date: February 18, 2005 15:01

The "Brussels affair" I must try and locate a copy.
Is that boot from the 73 European tour Gazza?

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: February 18, 2005 15:29

Indeed - Brussels and London. Taken from FM broadcasts

It's by common consensus THE essential Stones bootleg!

Posted by: Rorty ()
Date: February 18, 2005 16:32

JumpingKentFlash... I think you are right that in those Tours from 1994 on the Stones 'learned' how to play this tune properly - and I think it really is one of their highlights in their recent shows (compared to other obligatory 'hot rocks').

It looks like that that even the versions in 69-71 are no doubt interesting and experimenting, the Stones themselves had difficulties how to deal with this song and how to perform it.. it was their surely biggest hit and signature, but the whole sound of the band had changed so much from the pop days of the mid-sixties, and it looks like it was hard to make a simple radio friendly hit sound relevant in the middle of their new strong hard-rocking post-Beggars set - alonside "Jumping Jack Flash", "Street Fighting Man" "Gimme Shelter", "Midnight Rambler", "Sympathy For tHe Devil"... 1969 the versions based on the dual guitar phrasing were interesting but I think the versions in Farawell Tour '71 are already tired and breathless - the worst idea in this planet is to to play the song without that GUITAR riff.. (they ain't Otis Redding, and I have always thought that the Redding version sounds boring and stupid no matter how much I love the guy). But that shows how much Keith seemed to hate - or to be even ashamed of - that "silly kind of riff" (or to be even ashamed of) at the hey-day of super ego technical guitar instrumentalism.

So it was no surprise that they dropped the whole song out of their set list for a decade. But for 1981/82 Tour the Stones digged for a first time their classical period prior Beggars, and of course their biggest hit "Satisfaction" founded its way back to set.. . But obviously they had still problems with their attitude; to my ears those versions sound like the song is as an obligatory choice that is best treated as a joke. Anyway, Keith seemed to with be in terms with the riff again, although Jagger did his best making the whole thing a parody.

But back to the original question: If I would be asked a single performance on DVD which would present the Stones at their best to non-used ears and eyes, I would pick up "Satisfaction" in Gimme Shelter. Everyone would know the song already, but still would be surprised of the power of the performance!

- Doxa

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2005-02-18 16:32 by Rorty.

Shelter Satisfaction Good, Sympathy from Altamont BEST
Posted by: stone-relics ()
Date: February 18, 2005 16:54

While the Satisfaction from the Movie Gimme Shelter is great, I was always partial to Sympathy for the Devil from the Altamont footage. I think Keith solo sums up the entire 60s. Too bad Taylor's is edited out.

JMHO

JR

Posted by: Rik ()
Date: February 18, 2005 17:13

for satisfaction after 94: it's the opener that's ok. 1994/95 was way to slow, and 99/02/03 keith couldn't do a proper solo

Date: February 18, 2005 17:21

It's a great reindition, but I've never cared too much for how the riff was played on that tour...

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2128
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home