Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 3 of 4
Re: OT..Boston Marathon Explossions
Date: April 16, 2013 06:06

My heart goes out to all of the victims and their families. Patton Oswalt summarized best how I and many other people feel about this situation:

From the Huffington Post

I remember, when 9/11 went down, my reaction was, "Well, I've had it with humanity."

But I was wrong. I don't know what's going to be revealed to be behind all of this mayhem -- one human insect or a poisonous mass of broken sociopaths.

But here's what I DO know. If it's one person or a HUNDRED people, that number is not even a fraction of a fraction of a fraction of a percent of the population on this planet. You watch the videos of the carnage and there are people running TOWARDS the destruction to help out. (Thanks FAKE Gallery founder and owner Paul Kozlowski for pointing this out to me). This is a giant planet and we're lucky to live on it but there are prices and penalties incurred for the daily miracle of existence. One of them is, every once in a while, the wiring of a tiny sliver of the species gets snarled and they're pointed towards darkness.

But the vast majority stands against that darkness and, like white blood cells attacking a virus, they dilute and weaken and eventually wash away the evildoers and, more importantly, the damage they wreak. This is beyond religion or creed or nation. We would not be here if humanity were inherently evil. We'd have eaten ourselves alive long ago.

So when you spot violence, or bigotry, or intolerance or fear or just garden-variety misogyny, hatred or ignorance, just look it in the eye and think, "The good outnumber you, and we always will."

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: April 16, 2013 06:08

LittleRockFitToTop
My heart goes out to all of the victims and their families. Patton Oswalt summarized best how I and many other people feel about this situation:

From the Huffington Post

I remember, when 9/11 went down, my reaction was, "Well, I've had it with humanity."

But I was wrong. I don't know what's going to be revealed to be behind all of this mayhem -- one human insect or a poisonous mass of broken sociopaths.

But here's what I DO know. If it's one person or a HUNDRED people, that number is not even a fraction of a fraction of a fraction of a percent of the population on this planet. You watch the videos of the carnage and there are people running TOWARDS the destruction to help out. (Thanks FAKE Gallery founder and owner Paul Kozlowski for pointing this out to me). This is a giant planet and we're lucky to live on it but there are prices and penalties incurred for the daily miracle of existence. One of them is, every once in a while, the wiring of a tiny sliver of the species gets snarled and they're pointed towards darkness.

But the vast majority stands against that darkness and, like white blood cells attacking a virus, they dilute and weaken and eventually wash away the evildoers and, more importantly, the damage they wreak. This is beyond religion or creed or nation. We would not be here if humanity were inherently evil. We'd have eaten ourselves alive long ago.

So when you spot violence, or bigotry, or intolerance or fear or just garden-variety misogyny, hatred or ignorance, just look it in the eye and think, "The good outnumber you, and we always will."

Wow, that was a very good piece, thanks for including.

Posted by: JumpingKentFlash ()
Date: April 16, 2013 06:55

What the hell is going on in this world! For @#$%& sake!

JumpingKentFlash

Posted by: mtaylor ()
Date: April 16, 2013 07:11

treaclefingers
jazzbass
treaclefingers
GumbootCloggeroo
flacnvinyl, where is your evidence that a Muslim was responsible for this?
edit: That's right, you don't have any. Keep your personal hatred to yourself.

...any opportunity to throw a political punch as well...'blaming the left' for now wanting to ban all bomb components which hasn't even happen.

Yet.

But why go there immediately? Let's deal with the shock of the tragedy and let the investigation take it's course.
The "school children killer" in Conneticut was not a muslim - it could just as well have been a crazy person.

Posted by: JumpingKentFlash ()
Date: April 16, 2013 08:30

LittleRockFitToTop

From the Huffington Post

Great read.

JumpingKentFlash

Posted by: andrewt ()
Date: April 16, 2013 08:32

Awful. Just awful. My heart goes out to all affected by this tragedy.

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: April 16, 2013 09:20

Duane in Houston
If I had to guess from the spotty reports coming in I'd say the odds are high that this was an Al Queda plot hatched in the Tribal Areas of Pakistan and carried out by foreigners (Saudi's etc.) trained in AQ camps in the Tribal Areas as well. What doesn't make sense is that we've let it be known to the Paks et.al.that any terrorist attack with origins in Pakistan would mean a possible U.S. invasion of the Tribal Areas and/or withering air bombing campaigns of the Tribal Areas. Because of such repurcussions the AQ leadership in Pakistan have, smartly, shied away from direct action on U.S. soil. This could be the start of something very big. All roads to islamic terrorism lead to Pakistan.

Then again, 90% of all death casualties in the US are caused by Americans -either lone wolfs, people connected with the various extreme right parties or extremist Christian groups like the anti-abortion movement. These groups normally do not show up in the statistics as domestic violence is not part of what America sees as 'terrorism'.

Nobody knows who are behind the Boston bombing, but statistically chances are smaller that it is connected with any Muslim organisation than that it is domestic.

Mathijs

Posted by: SweetThing ()
Date: April 16, 2013 09:40

Mathijs
Duane in Houston
If I had to guess from the spotty reports coming in I'd say the odds are high that this was an Al Queda plot hatched in the Tribal Areas of Pakistan and carried out by foreigners (Saudi's etc.) trained in AQ camps in the Tribal Areas as well. What doesn't make sense is that we've let it be known to the Paks et.al.that any terrorist attack with origins in Pakistan would mean a possible U.S. invasion of the Tribal Areas and/or withering air bombing campaigns of the Tribal Areas. Because of such repurcussions the AQ leadership in Pakistan have, smartly, shied away from direct action on U.S. soil. This could be the start of something very big. All roads to islamic terrorism lead to Pakistan.

Then again, 90% of all death casualties in the US are caused by Americans -either lone wolfs, people connected with the various extreme right parties or extremist Christian groups like the anti-abortion movement. These groups normally do not show up in the statistics as domestic violence is not part of what America sees as 'terrorism'.

Nobody knows who are behind the Boston bombing, but statistically chances are smaller that it is connected with any Muslim organisation than that it is domestic.

Mathijs

I am going to guess it was not an anti abortion group on this one Mathijs. But we'll have to wait and see.

Posted by: runaway ()
Date: April 16, 2013 10:06

Very sad

Posted by: beepee2 ()
Date: April 16, 2013 10:17

A string of bombings across Iraq has claimed at least 55 lives, injuring 300 more, on Monday

[rt.com]

Posted by: Grison ()
Date: April 16, 2013 10:18

Isn't it sad that mankind has gone through so much blood in the previous centuries, and still some have not learnt that violence does not make anything better.

May the good prevail and overcome the evil.

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: April 16, 2013 10:40

beepee2

A string of bombings across Iraq has claimed at least 55 lives, injuring 300 more, on Monday

[rt.com]

Sickos all over the world. It was a sad Monday indeed. But humanity is the most tested man-crafted theory and no falsification in sight.

- Doxa

Date: April 16, 2013 11:35

I think one should be very careful with blaming this on certain groups.

We did that in Norway in 2011 as well, after the bombing.

However, it was a norwegian who bombed the government quarters...

Posted by: Jaggeresque ()
Date: April 16, 2013 12:09

JumpingKentFlash
LittleRockFitToTop

From the Huffington Post

Great read.

Brilliantly put and gives us all hope. I hate the feeling of turning into a hater. However, I still hope the perpetrators die a slow agonizing death. Can't help it.

Posted by: VT22 ()
Date: April 16, 2013 15:21

Jaggeresque
JumpingKentFlash
LittleRockFitToTop

From the Huffington Post

Great read.

Brilliantly put and gives us all hope. I hate the feeling of turning into a hater. However, I still hope the perpetrators die a slow agonizing death. Can't help it.

Hope is its own inferno though.. some things will never change. I feel very sorry for the victims.

Posted by: odean73 ()
Date: April 16, 2013 15:36

So very sad.

Date: April 16, 2013 16:07

A police raid in 'Revere' Massachusetts...I hope that means they're actually on to something:

[abclocal.go.com]

Posted by: More Hot Rocks ()
Date: April 16, 2013 16:28

Mathijs
Duane in Houston

Mathijs

Can you give us an example of who causes the other 10%. You statement sounds like we are under attack everyday.

Date: April 16, 2013 16:38

Just heard some of the Newtown families were at the Boston Marathon. gulp.

Posted by: Dreamer ()
Date: April 16, 2013 16:59

LittleRockFitToTop

From the Huffington Post

It was on his facebook page and after that on the HF and The Atlantic etc.
I like his comment a lot.

Date: April 16, 2013 17:16

Shade
Mathijs
Duane in Houston

Mathijs

Wow, you're pretty stupid. When was the last time a Christian group in Boston tried to blow up the marathon? Idiot!

Please read again.
And don't say things about what you might be when you react without reading his post...

Posted by: flacnvinyl ()
Date: April 16, 2013 18:28

No need to throw names around. This is all horrible. Proud of Obama for saying we'll get to the bottom of this. Nothing else can be done aside from tending to the wounded at this point.

Posted by: beepee2 ()
Date: April 16, 2013 18:44

Shade
When was the last time a Christian group in Boston tried to blow up the marathon?

I remember that pretty clearly... that was 2 weeks after Buddhists bombed a bus downtown. yawning smiley

Date: April 16, 2013 18:53

Thanks for the advice, idiot! Are you speaking statistically too? Got to go now, my church group and I are about to crucify a sinner in Cambridge. Oh yeah, that doesn't happen in real life America or your baked statistics, but try to be gay or make a joke about Muhammad in the Muslim world and see what happens to you! Moron!

Yes mr. Shade: it al started with scolding at each other...

Posted by: Shade ()
Date: April 16, 2013 18:54

beepee2
Shade
When was the last time a Christian group in Boston tried to blow up the marathon?

I remember that pretty clearly... that was 2 weeks after Buddhists bombed a bus downtown. yawning smiley

What the bleep are you talking about?

Posted by: FrankM ()
Date: April 16, 2013 19:03

Mathijs
Duane in Houston

Mathijs

The anti abortion movement isn't an extreme Christian group- roughly half of the people in the US are pro life. Occasionally there are some nuts amongst the anti abortion crowd that take things too far just as there are nuts on the pro abortion side that abort living babies. Have you read the papers lately?

Posted by: FrankM ()
Date: April 16, 2013 19:11

treaclefingers
GumbootCloggeroo

Yes, I have to agree...any opportunity to throw a political punch as well...'blaming the left' for now wanting to ban all bomb components which hasn't even happen. Always out to create a little more hatred.

Why can't some people can't just shut up.

Plenty of time to assign blame one it's actually established who actually is to blame.

There are also people blaming the right (not referring to anybody in this thread) so the blame game goes both ways as is usually the case when these things happen.

Date: April 16, 2013 19:20

FrankM
treaclefingers
GumbootCloggeroo

Yes, I have to agree...any opportunity to throw a political punch as well...'blaming the left' for now wanting to ban all bomb components which hasn't even happen. Always out to create a little more hatred.

Why can't some people can't just shut up.

Plenty of time to assign blame one it's actually established who actually is to blame.

There are also people blaming the right (not referring to anybody in this thread) so the blame game goes both ways as is usually the case when these things happen.

True enough...the fringe element is on both sides.

Posted by: kleermaker ()
Date: April 16, 2013 19:26

More Hot Rocks
Mathijs
Duane in Houston

Mathijs

Can you give us an example of who causes the other 10%. You statement sounds like we are under attack everyday.

Unfortunately and sadly enough you are indeed. But it's easier to proclaim a war on foreign terrorism than on internal terrorism. Both are evil and terrible things, but the latter even more frightening and menacing.

Posted by: deadegad ()
Date: April 16, 2013 19:30

Yes there are people here and eleswhere speculating over who did it. The smart bet is on Bin laden inspired 'fellow travelers.'

Yet we still need facts. Mathijis' statisitcs are misleading and oddly enough failed to mention non 'right wing' groups who have been historically active in the USA. I'll add that anti-abortion groups usually target an abortion provider.

If I were to engage in silly specualtion: Environmetalist Tree-Hugging radiacls upset over all of those plastic bottles of water and cups provided to the joggers which are not Umweltfreundlich and infact poisonous! Absurd? Of course that is.

Latest news says, if accurate, that this type of bomb was first used in . . . . Wait for it . . .. Afghanistan.

Surprise.

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 3 of 4

This Thread has been closed

Online Users

Guests: 1461
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home