Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
reggae songs
Date: February 16, 2005 12:34

Hi!! my name is Marco and i'm writing, for the first time, from Italy.
First of all i don't speak and write english very well so be patient please!!
This is my question:
what is the best reggae stones song out from the official records??
I think they played reggae in amazing way until 'send it to me'.
I know only the title of some of these songs as 'jah is not dead' or 'munich reggae'.
Can i download some of these unrealeased songs on some site??
My idea is to realize a compilation with all the stones reggae songs...official and unofficial!
Thanks for your answers and don't look at my incredible grammar mistakes!!!!!!

Re: reggae songs
Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: February 16, 2005 12:46

Hi Marco

Firstly, dont apologise for your English. It's actually quite excellent. many people here don't have English as their first language so you're not alone in that.

Stones' reggae-style songs would be :

Cherry Oh Baby
Send it To Me
Feel On Baby
You Dont Have To Mean It

Munich Reggae is an instrumental jam. Jah Is Not dead is interesting enough, although very long (11 minutes) but not quite a finished track.

Some people consider 'Luxury' reggae-style. Doesn't sound like it to me!

Keith's song "Words of Wonder" from "Main Offender" is in my opinion better than any reggae style song the Stones have attempted.

He also released "The Harder they come" as a b-side on the "Run rudolph run" single in 1978 and of course played on and produced the "Wingless Angels" CD as well as playing on albums by artists such as Sly & Robbie and Max Romeo. Mick and Keith are of course both on Peter Tosh's "Bush Doctor" album.

Posted by: bartman ()
Date: February 16, 2005 13:03

I also like Sleep tognight very much. A song by Keith with Steve Jordan on drums, or was it Ron Wood?

Marco and other Italians, next week I' m going to Rome. Can you give me some tips about some good restaurants (not to expensive)/bars and disco' s? I also would like to know where I can find some good recordshops. Please mail me privatly about the recordshops, because I don' t want to have problems with BV.

Thanks

Date: February 16, 2005 13:19

Also, songs like Too Rude (plain reggae), Feel On Baby, Luxury, You Don't Have To Mean It are great reggae-inspired songs.

Posted by: Rorty ()
Date: February 16, 2005 14:52

And don't forget the great "I Think I'm Going Mad", the b-side of "She Was Hot" -single, and a song that should have been in the album also. And another nice b-side, "Everything's Turning to Gold", has a sort of up-tempo reggae-groove.

- Doxa

Date: February 16, 2005 16:04

For Gazza;
Thanks for the informations. I'm agree with you about 'Luxury'; this isn't a real reggae song but it seems so, however it's a good song.
We have forgot the great live version of 'too rude' played by keith and e.w. at the holiwood palladium in 1988.
'You don't have to mean it' maybe it's the worst reggae songs of the stones.
I'm not able to define 'Hey negrita'. What kind of song is this?? Funky-reggae??

For Bartman
I'm sorry but i live in Milano and i have never been in Rome. I'm not able to give you informations.

Posted by: liddas ()
Date: February 16, 2005 17:19

Welcome on board, Marco: nice to find another "milanese" here!

Re: You Don't Have to Mean it - I loved that one since the very first time I heard it. The lyrics are beautiful (and soo true). Could play it for hours!

C

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: February 16, 2005 17:19

On Luxery, Charlie plays a 100% reggae beat, hence: Luxury is a pure reggae. I agree, Keiths riff's hard through it, but it is a reggae. Think I'm Going Mad has got nothing to do with reggae. Reggae doesn't mean "slow".

Mathijs

Date: February 16, 2005 17:35

Luxury is a real good song; great and strange drum, i like Charlie in this song.
...and "Hey negrita" what kind of song is it??
I'm not able to define it; is it funky? Is it reggae? Just a momentita...not so fast!!!!!!!
Do you think that Start me up reggae version is good??

Posted by: Chris Fountain ()
Date: February 16, 2005 18:08

What about Sweethearts Together?

Posted by: T&A ()
Date: February 16, 2005 18:16

Ronnie plays drums (and not very well, IMO) on Sleep Tonight.

The Stones are not a very good reggae band, IMO - and I am always disappointed with the result when they attempt it....

Posted by: erikjjf ()
Date: February 16, 2005 18:25

Chris Fountain Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> > What about Sweethearts Together?

Latin, maybe. But certainly not a reggae.

Posted by: DGA35 ()
Date: February 16, 2005 19:29

Don't forget Crackin Up off of Love You Live. That's got a reggae feel to it, although I have a bootleg version from 63 or 64 which is played more like Bo Diddley's original version.

Date: February 16, 2005 19:54

I think reggae has gotten to be a "catch all" for funky rhythm songs (sorta like how "ballad" became a catch-all for slow songs). I don't regard Crackin' Up as reggae whatsoever.

Posted by: Cafaro ()
Date: February 16, 2005 20:06

Welcome aboard Marco.....My parents are from Palermo but we live in the US.

Think I'm Goin Mad, Sleep Tonight, Sweethearts Together , and Everything's Turning To Gold are definatley NOT reggae. Start Me Up raggae version is good as is Send her to Me, Too Rude, Feel on Baby.

Posted by: Hound Dog ()
Date: February 16, 2005 20:41

I agree Cafaro, those songs mentioned above are in no way raggae. However Crackin Up is reggae.

Reggae is defined as "repetitive bass riffs and regular chords played on the off beat"

Date: February 16, 2005 20:56

Definitions are in the "ear of the beholder." I say Crackin' Up ain't reggae. I know because I don't like reggae (especially the Stones' take on it), but I like Crackin' Up - so sue me.

Date: February 16, 2005 21:09

Keith in Rolling Stone magazine about Love You Live and playing the raggae-styled Crackin Up...

The LP's best cut, the reggae-style "Crackin' Up." When I talked to Keith Richard about it, he explained the difference this way: "Let's see, '63 or '64 must have been the last time we played anywhere that small. After a couple of numbers, you suddenly realized that it felt perfectly natural, probably because it sounded so natural. I guess. This allows you to take song you used to do and play them by what you are into, for me I was feeling the reggae.

Date: February 16, 2005 21:50

To sum up:

1. Luxury;
2. Crackin' up;
3. Cherry oh baby;
4. Feel on baby (even if i dont like this song..maybe because i hate 'undercover');
5. Send it to me;
6. Too rude (keith's version on live at the palladium '88);
7. You dont have to mean it
8. The harder they come
9. Words of wonder

(........about official album)

10. Start me up (reggae version);
11. jah is not dead
12. Munich reggae

.........about unrealeased songs (i've never heard these songs)

Posted by: Cafaro ()
Date: February 16, 2005 22:26

We forgot one! Sweet Black Angel! If you listen to reggae from the late 60s, you can hear where this song came from.. BTW, The Wailing Souls do a great version of Sweet Black Angel.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: February 16, 2005 23:24

Keith and reggae

Peter Tosh - Bush Doctor EMI 7243 5 39181 2 5
Limited Edition - 6 bonus tracks - great liner notes

Sly & Robbie - Freinds East West 3984-20600-2
Satisfaction - Keith Guitar

Black Uhuru - Black Uhuru - VJD 28230
Black Uhuru - Shine Eye Gal - Keith Guitar

Unmetered Taxi - Sly & Robbie - Pressure Sounds - PSCD43
Black Uhuru - Shine Eye Girl - Keith Guitar

Toots & The Matals - True Love
Careless Ethiopians - Keith vocals

One Blood Dred Rooster featuring Babi Floyd - TBCP-1001... Keith 3tracks

ROCKMAN

Posted by: jss ()
Date: February 16, 2005 23:27

cafaro beat me to it... sweet black angel is carribean based for sure...i consider it to be reggaeish, just as luxury with the back beat,what else could it be? feel on isn't so much reggae as it's dub with the rolling bass and drums, the clash took this to a great level...

Date: February 16, 2005 23:33

I actually have a cd called a Reggae Tribute to the Stones which has some interesting reggae versions of Stones songs. IF you like reggae its worth checking out.

Date: February 16, 2005 23:54

Many thanks Hound...but i'm looking for unrealeased reggae stone songs, as start me up or jah is not dead or others.
I dont like the tribute to the stones.
By!

Date: February 17, 2005 00:40

Middle of the Sea from the Voodoo sessions has a nice reggae feel to it. There is another from the bootleg Little Boy Blue & the blue boys vs. The Lone Ranger called How Do You Do Africa, that I think is with Clapton, I'd have to look though.

Posted by: erikjjf ()
Date: February 17, 2005 08:56

Keith's "The Harder They Come" can be found here [www.rockpassion.com]

Posted by: Rorty ()
Date: February 17, 2005 14:25

Hmm.. looks like that my suggestions for reggae tunes are rejected.. well, that's fine by me; I happen to like reggae, ska and that sort of caribbean originated music (that also has a lot of American soul, funk and r&b influences) but I am not any sort of expert of the exact definitions, distinctions and nuances of the genre, so my use of the term "reggae" is quite liberal.. I just recognize the sort of elements when I listen to a tune like "Think I'm Goin Mad", but if authoritarian like Mathijs declares that it has "nothing to do with reggae", all I can do is rest my case..

Rastaman vibrations, positive!

- Doxa

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: February 17, 2005 22:51

What are you talking about... rejected! All the Stones reggae tracks were mentioned plus I gave you six reggae CDs that Keith plays on so what more can we do....?

ROCKMAN

Posted by: bartman ()
Date: June 11, 2005 19:25

What about I got a letter sung by Keith? Place pigalle cd 1?

Very reggea

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: June 11, 2005 19:37

>> There is another from the bootleg Little Boy Blue & the Blue Boys vs. The Lone Ranger called How Do You Do Africa, that I think is with Clapton, I'd have to look though. <<

really?! i have a New Barbarians rehearsals disk with that number, and i love it! it sounds more like calypso than reggae to me, but i love it.
i've been trying to find out more about it - who wrote it, where it came from, whether it sprang full-grown from the Barbarians' heads or what - so i'd love to hear more about this version you have.

and meanwhile: yeah, I Got a Letter seems to be Keith's First Reggae. sweet!

"What do you want - what?!"
- Keith

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2005-06-11 19:44 by with sssoul.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1894
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home