Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

OT: MILLION DOLLAR QUARTET worth getting?
Date: April 13, 2013 00:34

an odd question because it has 4 legend, though not sure johnny cash is really on it, but is it worth getting?

Re: OT: MILLION DOLLAR QUARTET worth getting?
Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: April 13, 2013 00:35

My oath .....
esp when Elvis is talking about having seen Jackie Wilson perform

ROCKMAN

Date: April 13, 2013 00:56

thinking i'd see more comments. this is the album with elvis, jerry lee lewis, carl perkins and maybe johnny cash

Posted by: Bobby4 ()
Date: April 13, 2013 18:31

"elvis, jerry lee lewis, carl perkins and maybe johnny cash"

I'd say, yes. It's the 3 or 4 of them just sitting around talking and playing a few verses of some classics with the tape roling. For $10 bucks or so, why not?

Bobby

Posted by: Ross ()
Date: April 13, 2013 18:38

Not as earth-shattering as it sounds like it would be, but a great piece of history and worth a spin!

Date: April 13, 2013 23:09

Bobby4
"elvis, jerry lee lewis, carl perkins and maybe johnny cash"

I'd say, yes. It's the 3 or 4 of them just sitting around talking and playing a few verses of some classics with the tape roling. For $10 bucks or so, why not?

Bobby

in my case i just picked it up new for $6.00 so i guess it was worth it

Posted by: sanQ ()
Date: April 14, 2013 12:34

There are some great moments between Elvis and Jerry Lee. As far as I'm concerned, its mostly the Elvis and Jerry Lee show. There are at least two great performances. I forget the songs though.

Posted by: bluesinc. ()
Date: April 14, 2013 12:44

it´s great to listen to. not especially musically, it´s rough and interesting if you like the times and the four, though johnny cash left before the tapes start rolling...

Date: April 14, 2013 13:05

bluesinc.
it´s great to listen to. not especially musically, it´s rough and interesting if you like the times and the four, though johnny cash left before the tapes start rolling...

i just picked it up but haven't listened to it yet. i found the entire thing posted in youtube and listened to part of it on youtube.never heard cash on it 1 bit so i figured he wasn't there. this seems like a good album to listen to on your front porch on a hot summer sunday afternoon

Posted by: Lynd8 ()
Date: April 14, 2013 14:59

It's cool, but a "one listen" thing.

Posted by: tomcasagranda ()
Date: April 14, 2013 15:38

No, it isn't worth getting, as it's just an informal jam session, nothing more and nothing less. How it was turned into a musical is beyond me ?

Posted by: Munichhilton ()
Date: April 14, 2013 16:12

Please...(sarcastically)

Posted by: scottkeef ()
Date: April 14, 2013 16:49

Its interesting to listen to occasionally. I like the part where Elvis talks about a good song he was gonna cut but says "hey, man he wouldnt give me part of the song so I didnt' ( or something to that effect) Gives a new slant to any songs he cut with his name among the songwriting credits!

Posted by: Munichhilton ()
Date: April 14, 2013 16:59

scottkeef
Its interesting to listen to occasionally. I like the part where Elvis talks about a good song he was gonna cut but says "hey, man he wouldnt give me part of the song so I didnt' ( or something to that effect) Gives a new slant to any songs he cut with his name among the songwriting credits!

All two of them? C'mon lets not start a land war...

Posted by: belubettlo ()
Date: April 22, 2013 11:23

Mark Lamarr tells the story of the Million Dollar Quartet, one of the most famous jam sessions in the history of pop music that saw Elvis Presley, Johnny Cash, Carl Perkins and Jerry Lee Lewis perform together in a studio in Memphis, Tennessee, on a Tuesday afternoon in December 1956. Including contributions from Peter Guralnick, Colin Escott, Carl Perkins, Sam Phillips, Johnny Cash and Jerry Lee Lewis.

Million Dollar Quartet

57 min. @ 64kbps mono
BBC R2, 16 Dec'06

Posted by: sanQ ()
Date: April 22, 2013 16:08

Thanks for the link.

There are snippets on it that I wish were longer. At least two songs that Elvis really did an excellent job on but it only lasted like a minute. Maybe Earth Angel or something like that. Oh I think it was Brown Eyed Handsome Man. The way they did that, if they had done it properly would have been incredible. Instead of messing around, they should have just done that one song in a polished version. It was awesome!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1503
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home