Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3
Re: OT - Allman Brothers Band - Brothers & Sisters
Posted by: Ross ()
Date: April 13, 2013 18:37

DoomandGloom
dadrob
the 73 concert is being released separately...the Allmans hate the sound of that record BTW and prefer Tom Dowd stuff all the time. I do love that record even pony boy and jelly jelly
These days it's painful to watch the Allmans play silly covers reading from music stands. When I have a complaint about The Stones I look no further than to what was once my other favorite band for a roadmap on how to tarnish a legacy. The Stones have avoided most of these pitfalls, a show without Brown Sugar is like a show without Whipping Post, just not right.

Interesting. I have been listening to their latest Beacon run all week and I am floored! Right now I am spinning the March 9 show (just a few weeks ago) and, to these ears, it's as about as good as music gets. Here is the setlist:

Done Somebody Wrong 3:54
Midnight Rider 3:28
End Of The Line 6:48
Worried Down With The Blues 7:48
Ain’t Wastin’ Time No More 7:25
Dusk Till Dawn * 13:42
Jessica 14:49

Statesboro Blues # 5:25
You Don’t Love Me 7:18
Rockin’ Horse 15:05
Black Hearted Woman 13:19

Stand Back 5:45
In Memory of Elizabeth Reed -> * 17:22
JaMaBubu -> 10:51
In Memory of Elizabeth Reed - reprise * 2:52
Southbound @ 6:13

Now, granted, I can't see if they are playing from music stands, but I certainly dont see any "silly covers", the only covers here have been associated with The ABB for a while. And, there is a great new song! Gregg is in great voice and the band is smoldering. Even if one prefers the Duane/Dickey version of the band, I just don't see how this is tarnishing anything.

And, I hate to say it, but The Stones on their best night were never anywhere near this league musically. Of course we are talking about two completely different approaches to performing. (IMHO Disclaimer).

I am looking forward to any additional music from the Brothers & Sisters era, but right now I am happily immersed in the latest Beacon run.

Ross

Posted by: DoomandGloom ()
Date: April 13, 2013 19:13

Ross they can still pull it out of the hat when they wish to but the show I saw they butchered "Long Black Veil" with the worst horn section I've heard in 40 years. They seemed completely lethargic, however the music does the talking and if you have a show from that run that's great to listen to than that's real and I'll take a listen to March 9th as well. I have good music friends who walked out of the Beacon halfway through one show and they were in the 5th row. The reviews from last night's Crossroads btw are horrific and The Allmans were said to not impress at all. As far as the Stones comparison, they have the real members and can never be accused of being a phony cover band.

Date: April 13, 2013 20:41

Let me know what you think about the March 9 show, Doom. to these ears it comes a lot closer to their peak than the Stones have come to theirs in many years. And I'm not one who complains about the current Stones shows, they are great...but far from their height in the 70's.

I agree about the horns on Long Black Veil. Swing and a miss!

I like the way The Allmans mix it up with different setlists all of the time, different arrangements, brilliant playing including some improv, and a tour every year!

And if by real members you mean original members, I think both bands have 3, right? You may hear a phony cover band, I just don't hear that at all. The majority of their sets are comprised of originals or songs that have been associated with them since their early days.

Sorry to hear the Crossroads reviews. If true, that will be a major disappointment.

Posted by: ab ()
Date: April 14, 2013 01:41

They were quite good at the March 12 show that I saw where Steve Earle did a guest spot at the beginning of the second set. The horns sounded fine at my show.

I've seen them during every Beacon/United Palace stand since '99 and get to at least one shed show per summer. They take a lot of chances, and some of the guest spots fall flat. So some nights are better than others. But when they're on at the Beacon (see, e.g., March 12, 2011), there are few places I'd rather be hearing live music.

As for their best studio album, look no further than the beginning. There's a reason why the entire first album was included in the new Duane box set.

Date: April 15, 2013 21:03

Ross
Let me know what you think about the March 9 show, Doom. to these ears it comes a lot closer to their peak than the Stones have come to theirs in many years. And I'm not one who complains about the current Stones shows, they are great...but far from their height in the 70's.

I agree about the horns on Long Black Veil. Swing and a miss!

I like the way The Allmans mix it up with different setlists all of the time, different arrangements, brilliant playing including some improv, and a tour every year!

And if by real members you mean original members, I think both bands have 3, right? You may hear a phony cover band, I just don't hear that at all. The majority of their sets are comprised of originals or songs that have been associated with them since their early days.

Sorry to hear the Crossroads reviews. If true, that will be a major disappointment.
Some of this may fall on me... I've seen them so many ways I've gotten burnt on it all.

Date: April 16, 2013 18:55

Looks pretty good to me! Can't wait for the Blue Ray.

Date: April 16, 2013 20:29

This Whipping Post is a perfect example. The drummers are cooking but there's no fire in the guitars. Noodle soup, there's little to grab onto in their solos. Can you imagine a kid wanting to work this out note for note? On The Fillmore album you can sing those solos. The days of Betts/Haynes/Woody managed to capture it better than this. Derek rarely impresses me and Haynes got lazy standing next to him.

Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: April 16, 2013 21:42

DoomandGloom
This Whipping Post is a perfect example. The drummers are cooking but there's no fire in the guitars. Noodle soup, there's little to grab onto in their solos. Can you imagine a kid wanting to work this out note for note? On The Fillmore album you can sing those solos. The days of Betts/Haynes/Woody managed to capture it better than this. Derek rarely impresses me and Haynes got lazy standing next to him.[/quote i miss Betts/Haynes/woody. those were great shows !!!!!!!]

Posted by: GRNRBITW ()
Date: April 17, 2013 02:31

DoomandGloom
This Whipping Post is a perfect example. The drummers are cooking but there's no fire in the guitars. Noodle soup, there's little to grab onto in their solos. Can you imagine a kid wanting to work this out note for note? On The Fillmore album you can sing those solos. The days of Betts/Haynes/Woody managed to capture it better than this. Derek rarely impresses me and Haynes got lazy standing next to him.

trucks is the greatest player on the planet. i vote you off the planet. you and derek cannot co-exist on this one.

Date: April 17, 2013 04:30

GRNRBITW
DoomandGloom

trucks is the greatest player on the planet. i vote you off the planet. you and derek cannot co-exist on this one.
He's so far from being great. Name me one recorded solo on an original song as iconic as Stairway, Crossroads, Dreams, Comfortably Numb, Freeway Jam, Can't You Hear Me Knockin' or Sympathy. All the guys above except Duane are still on this planet. In my world a musician has to accomplish something to be great, what's Derek done with his decade in The Allmans besides pop a few fancy Coltrane riffs on songs that are essentially cover tunes for him? Where's his Elizabeth Reed??? The hype didn't get past Clapton who dismissed him from his tour, still touting Derek's greatness as EC is a master of the b.s. game. Sorry I won't drink the Koolaide he's shooting blanks.

Posted by: MILKYWAY ()
Date: April 17, 2013 04:32

I'll never forgive Gregg for the way he treated Savannah prior to her passing.

So shameful. If Gregg was Japanese, he would be obligated to disembowel himself.

Posted by: MILKYWAY ()
Date: April 17, 2013 04:44

DoomandGloom
One night I watched him explode his nose into a towel, tie it in a knot and toss it into the audience. He winked at me, my kind of rock star.

That would have been cool if you had caught that towel, untied it and licked it up.

thumbs up

Date: April 17, 2013 04:55

MILKYWAY
DoomandGloom
One night I watched him explode his nose into a towel, tie it in a knot and toss it into the audience. He winked at me, my kind of rock star.

That would have been cool if you had caught that towel, untied it and licked it up.

thumbs up
Of course that's what I did. Dickey is my hero..

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-04-17 05:04 by DoomandGloom.

Date: April 17, 2013 07:07

DoomandGloom
MILKYWAY
DoomandGloom

thumbs up

You can have him. The Allman Brothers Band has been better off without him for 13 years. By Peakin' at the Beacon, his last album with them from 2000, he was running on fumes. Peakin' sounds like something they threw together to show why they wanted him to go to rehab.

One can "sing" the solos from Fillmore East in large part because for decades they were likely the only decent recordings of that band available, and because the band didn't change things all that much from night to night. In Dickey's last years in the band, they had two basic setlists per year. You got the A set one night, and the B set the next, all year long.

The current lineup only made one studio album, but changes the setlist significantly and plays wildly different solos every night. And nearly every show is available as Instant Live CDs twenty minutes after the show ends. With so much music available from a band that changes everything up every show, the solos don't have a chance to burn into one's brain.

Check out Derek's solo with Clapton on Little Queen of Spades from the Crossroads Festival DVD. When I saw Derek with Clapton in 2006, Derek's solo on that song was the best guitar solo of the entire evening. Clapton was highly professional, but ultimately boring. Derek played with innovation and fire!

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2013-04-17 07:56 by ab.

Date: April 17, 2013 15:18

DoomandGloom
MILKYWAY
DoomandGloom

thumbs up

Oh, OK, now I get it!

Date: April 17, 2013 15:47

"You can have him." Yes Dicky is a waste case, I don't blame them for disassociating themselves, I also don't care for Trucks and think the present line-up is boring

Date: April 17, 2013 15:48

DoomandGloom
GRNRBITW
DoomandGloom

He's so far from being great. Name me one recorded solo on an original song as iconic as Stairway, Crossroads, Dreams, Comfortably Numb, Freeway Jam, Can't You Hear Me Knockin' or Sympathy. All the guys above except Duane are still on this planet. In my world a musician has to accomplish something to be great, what's Derek done with his decade in The Allmans besides pop a few fancy Coltrane riffs on songs that are essentially cover tunes for him? Where's his Elizabeth Reed??? The hype didn't get past Clapton who dismissed him from his tour, still touting Derek's greatness as EC is a master of the b.s. game. Sorry I won't drink the Koolaide he's shooting blanks.

you couldn't be more wrong if your ass was screwed on backwards....

Date: April 17, 2013 15:51

GRNRBITW
DoomandGloom
GRNRBITW
DoomandGloom

It's easy to toss insults but what's he done? Tedeski//Trucks.. Spare me.

Date: April 17, 2013 15:54

DoomandGloom
GRNRBITW
DoomandGloom
GRNRBITW
DoomandGloom

It's easy to toss insults but what's he done? Tedeski//Trucks.. Spare me.

you think insults are so easy to toss, do you? why don't you try it and see?

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: April 17, 2013 16:48

Fabulous album and great news. I saw them tour the album at their first ever UK show at knebworth in 1974. The bill that day was incredible - first on was Tim Buckley, then The Sensational Alex Harvey Band followed by Van Morrison, The Mahavishnu Orchestra, The Doobie Brothers and The Allman Brothers, who played for 3 hours. I have the recordings of the last 4 acts somewhere in a dusty old loft that I'll get to one day.

Posted by: More Hot Rocks ()
Date: April 17, 2013 16:59

Love these guys.

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: April 17, 2013 19:03

Yes, the classic Betts/Duane line-up is hard to beat, but the current line-up with Haynes/Trucks is also awesome to me. Again, it's apples to oranges (or Brian/Mick T./Ronnie). All good, just different flavors.

Alas, anybody who thinks Trucks can't play is welcome to show me how much better they are.

Date: April 17, 2013 22:15

Elmo Lewis
Yes, the classic Betts/Duane line-up is hard to beat, but the current line-up with Haynes/Trucks is also awesome to me. Again, it's apples to oranges (or Brian/Mick T./Ronnie). All good, just different flavors.

Alas, anybody who thinks Trucks can't play is welcome to show me how much better they are.

I would go so far as to say that the original Allman Brothers Band was the greatest electric band ever produced by the United States of America.

When you follow chronologically the live sets of that lineup that have been released since 1990, you can hear them getting a little bit better with each release. The 6/27/71 closing of the Fillmore East set that was included as a bonus disc in the deluxe Eat a Peach tops the Fillmore East album that was recorded three month earlier. The Stony Brook show from six weeks before Duane's death, with Blue Sky and an extended Dreams, gets even further out there.

Date: April 17, 2013 22:30

Best lineup was Haynes and Betts. They were like a killing machine live.

Date: April 17, 2013 23:41

More Hot Rocks

you mean other than the original lineup right?

Date: April 18, 2013 04:11

Elmo Lewis

AS a 40 year Allman fan I have a right to say he's disappointing without proving I could do better. I don't have to play baseball better than AROD to not like his game...I also don't think other people are idiots if they do enjoy his playing, he's is a nice, modest young man as well.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2013-04-18 05:33 by DoomandGloom.

Date: April 18, 2013 04:50

keefriffhard4life
More Hot Rocks

you mean other than the original lineup right?

There have been many peaks in the ABB. I only judge by shows I've seen. I have never seen Duane Allman live so it wouldn't be fair

Date: April 18, 2013 12:04

Silver Dagger
Fabulous album and great news. I saw them tour the album at their first ever UK show at knebworth in 1974. The bill that day was incredible - first on was Tim Buckley, then The Sensational Alex Harvey Band followed by Van Morrison, The Mahavishnu Orchestra, The Doobie Brothers and The Allman Brothers, who played for 3 hours. I have the recordings of the last 4 acts somewhere in a dusty old loft that I'll get to one day.

Wow, what a line up! thumbs up

Posted by: Wendy ()
Date: April 22, 2013 01:16

You may buy the commemorative set for the Knebworth 1974 festival with all the live music (5 CDs and 2 DVDs) from www.rockmusicmemorabilia.com

Posted by: deadegad ()
Date: April 22, 2013 02:30

I catch an Allmans show every year and they are always great. I have never seen them reading music and playing incompetently. Trucks and Haynes are great guitarists who rarely have a bad night.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1862
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home