Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3
OT - Allman Brothers Band - Brothers & Sisters
Posted by: tomcasagranda ()
Date: April 12, 2013 11:38

Apparently, a 40th Anniversary edition is in the pipeline, with a Winterland Concert from 1973 as part of a bonus disc.

Re: OT - Allman Brothers Band - Brothers & Sisters
Posted by: terraplane ()
Date: April 12, 2013 11:45

Awesome. What a top band.

Posted by: andrewt ()
Date: April 12, 2013 14:08

Underrated album. Wasted Words and Southbound are on that one, right?
Plus Chuck Leavell.

Posted by: latebloomer ()
Date: April 12, 2013 14:10

Love the album, we actually have three copies of it. I'll look forward to the anniversary edition.

Date: April 12, 2013 15:09

great news

Date: April 12, 2013 15:11

But, I don't know how true it is. Apparently, the guy that did the Duane Allman box set mastering, is doing likewise with Brothers & Sisters.

Posted by: Barnestormer ()
Date: April 12, 2013 15:32

Still one of my favourite records of all time.

Posted by: DoomandGloom ()
Date: April 12, 2013 16:52

This is the greatest Allman Brother studio album. Produced by Johnny Sandlin an old friend of the band he was not intimidated by the these scary, scary characters. Story goes he had them record many takes on the songs and worked them like they never have been tried before or after. Yes Duane is the ultimate "Brother" but Dicky Betts and our very own Chuck seized the moment and created an album that surpasses any work by any jam band ever. Best to listen to when snorting and smacking your wife.

Posted by: latebloomer ()
Date: April 12, 2013 17:11

DoomandGloom
This is the greatest Allman Brother studio album. Produced by Johnny Sandlin an old friend of the band he was not intimidated by the these scary, scary characters. Story goes he had them record many takes on the songs and worked them like they never have been tried before or after. Yes Duane is the ultimate "Brother" but Dicky Betts and our very own Chuck seized the moment and created an album that surpasses any work by any jam band ever. Best to listen to when snorting and smacking your wife.

I understand the smacking DoomandGloom, but how does one go about snorting one's wife? Actually, cancel that, I probably don't want to know...grinning smiley

Posted by: 2000 LYFH ()
Date: April 12, 2013 18:14

DoomandGloom

Great album but I'd vote for Eat a Peach - Side 1 is a masterpiece along with Blue Sky.

Date: April 12, 2013 18:34

2000 LYFH
DoomandGloom

Great album but I'd vote for Eat a Peach - Side 1 is a masterpiece along with Blue Sky.
It's close but "Brothers" sounds much better. "Peach" is kind of dark sounding. Tom Dowd lucked into some great records but he was a lousy producer who was well known for choosing the wrong take.

Posted by: Des ()
Date: April 12, 2013 18:42

Jessica is still in my top 10 best live songs I have heard, my buddies and I were screeming at each other as Chuck ripped off the piano!!!!!

Date: April 12, 2013 18:49

Des
Jessica is still in my top 10 best live songs I have heard, my buddies and I were screeming at each other as Chuck ripped off the piano!!!!!
Yeah, in the mid 70's era when this was played the band would drop down to a quiet level and Chuck would ease into it. The Chuck era for the Allmans were perfectly dynamic, any one who saw them back then sees all things Leavell in a different light.

Posted by: More Hot Rocks ()
Date: April 12, 2013 18:56

Love it!

Posted by: dadrob ()
Date: April 12, 2013 18:59

the 73 concert is being released separately...the Allmans hate the sound of that record BTW and prefer Tom Dowd stuff all the time. I do love that record even pony boy and jelly jelly

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: April 12, 2013 19:03

DoomandGloom
Des
Yeah, in the mid 70's era when this was played the band would drop down to a quiet level and Chuck would ease into it. The Chuck era for the Allmans were perfectly dynamic, any one who saw them back then sees all things Leavell in a different light.

thumbs up

"No Anchovies, Please"

Date: April 12, 2013 19:34

dadrob
the 73 concert is being released separately...the Allmans hate the sound of that record BTW and prefer Tom Dowd stuff all the time. I do love that record even pony boy and jelly jelly
Well these days they hate all that's Dicky, whatever they say publicly has a multitude of reasons from superstitions to personal animosity. I know they hated making "Brothers" and being forced to work hard and being questioned musically is simply something they won't accept. Betts' is said to have recorded some of the guitar solos through an old tube stereo. Some songs only have a single drum kit, the album was made with the songs in mind starting with Ramblin' Man which was a demo for a Nashville singer. Soon afterwards Betts decided he'd give Nashville a shot and renamed himself Richard Betts but his dreams were shattered when he was considered an unknown. These days it's painful to watch the Allmans play silly covers reading from music stands. When I have a complaint about The Stones I look no further than to what was once my other favorite band for a roadmap on how to tarnish a legacy. The Stones have avoided most of these pitfalls, a show without Brown Sugar is like a show without Whipping Post, just not right.

Date: April 12, 2013 23:18

DoomandGloom
dadrob
Well these days they hate all that's Dicky, whatever they say publicly has a multitude of reasons from superstitions to personal animosity. I know they hated making "Brothers" and being forced to work hard and being questioned musically is simply something they won't accept. Betts' is said to have recorded some of the guitar solos through an old tube stereo. Some songs only have a single drum kit, the album was made with the songs in mind starting with Ramblin' Man which was a demo for a Nashville singer. Soon afterwards Betts decided he'd give Nashville a shot and renamed himself Richard Betts but his dreams were shattered when he was considered an unknown. These days it's painful to watch the Allmans play silly covers reading from music stands. When I have a complaint about The Stones I look no further than to what was once my other favorite band for a roadmap on how to tarnish a legacy. The Stones have avoided most of these pitfalls, a show without Brown Sugar is like a show without Whipping Post, just not right.

I think you are referring to Highway Call, an underrated country-rock album, released by Dickey Betts. Dickey has always been the country part of the Allmans, and he's no slouch at country: check out his version of Waiting on a Train, that he did for Bob Dylan's Jimmie Rogers tribute album.

Ironically, I prefer the bluesier, improv side of the Allmans, though.

Date: April 13, 2013 00:36

dickey betts is my favorite member of the ABB

Posted by: jamesfdouglas ()
Date: April 13, 2013 00:58

keefriffhard4life

Former member? He was booted from ABB 13 years ago.

[thepowergoats.com]

Date: April 13, 2013 00:59

jamesfdouglas
keefriffhard4life

Former member? He was booted from ABB 13 years ago.

yeah former member. really they should have stopped calling themselves the ABB after that

Posted by: 1cdog ()
Date: April 13, 2013 01:47

ABB will be the closing act tonight at Clapton's Crossroads Guitar Festival @ MSG in NYC. Clapton will be playing with the ABB during their set.

Posted by: Toru A ()
Date: April 13, 2013 03:11

I didn't know Don Johnson co-wrote Ramblin' Man.
That's why Cheech Marin was always singing this song on Nash Bridges.smiling smiley

Date: April 13, 2013 03:24

Toru A
That's why Cheech Marin was always singing this song on Nash Bridges.smiling smiley

don johnson did not co-write ramblin man. he co-wrote several tunes on the late 70's album enlightened rogues

Posted by: microvibe ()
Date: April 13, 2013 05:19

is wasted words dickey betts first recorded slide playing for the abb?

Date: April 13, 2013 05:32

keefriffhard4life
Toru A

don johnson did not co-write ramblin man. he co-wrote several tunes on the late 70's album enlightened rogues

Oh, may be I've misinterpreted this article.grinning smiley

Posted by: tomk ()
Date: April 13, 2013 05:34

It was a number one album in the States, released around the time of Goat's Head Soup.
I've been listening to a lot of B&S, Peach, and Fillmore East recently.
Boy, some of it is frightening, what they're doing.

Date: April 13, 2013 05:37

microvibe
is wasted words dickey betts first recorded slide playing for the abb?
That would be "Ain't Wastin' Time No More" from Eat A Peach... Beautifully played, when Betts left the band they lost their fire as well as the country side. For a while Haynes/Trucks did a descent job but now it's gotten boring. Neither one can impose the presence of Betts after all he's the one who stood proud playing next to Duane. Still there's two sides here, Dicky is a belligerent maniac who when asked repeatedly to turn down by Gregg responded by turning his Marshall in Gregg's direction. That box is loaded with 4 Altec speakers, painfully loud before they can hint distortion. He also had a way of standing on stage that he'd stick Warren in front of it if he sounded to good. One night I watched him explode his nose into a towel, tie it in a knot and toss it into the audience. He winked at me, my kind of rock star.

Date: April 13, 2013 06:32

Toru A
keefriffhard4life
Toru A

Oh, may be I've misinterpreted this article.grinning smiley

johnson also co-wrote some songs for betts solo project in the mid 70's dickey betts and great southern

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-04-13 06:32 by keefriffhard4life.

Date: April 13, 2013 08:29

Can we expect 4-CD set of Brothers & Sisters?

BTW, I noticed SACD and Viny releases from Mobile Fidelity at the end of this month.

Brothers & Sisters Mobile Fidelity

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-04-13 08:30 by Toru A.

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1862
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home