Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
If you had to guess, would you expect to see similar sets to the 2012 shows?
Posted by: Tonyz ()
Date: April 11, 2013 02:13

I'm guessing that it's going to be the basic structure that we saw in Nov/Dec.

Not that I'm complaining. As someone who's never seen them before, seeing any of those sets in Toronto would be an absolute fantasy.

But anyways... you guys expecting the same basic songs from the first five shows or any that you think aren't gonna make the cut?

Re: If you had to guess, would you expect to see similar sets to the 2012 shows?
Posted by: andrewt ()
Date: April 11, 2013 03:27

The first couple may be different.

The slow tune in the 5 slot may have an extra in the rotation.

The cover tune in the 7 slot may be new.

One More Shot will go but Doom N Gloom will stay.

Can't You Hear Me Knocking may alternate with Midnight Rambler as the "jam" song.

Keith may toss in You Got The Silver or Little T&A one some nights.

And the last hour or more will be the same as always

Re: If you had to guess, would you expect to see similar sets to the 2012 shows?
Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: April 11, 2013 04:10

I think Mick Taylor coming along for the whole tour will make the upcoming set selections differ considerably from the 50th gigs..

Thats my hope, as I thoroughly enjoyed the Brooklyn show, and would love even an exact replica, but would enjoy some gems not heard in a while...

Date: April 11, 2013 04:19

andrewt

Can't You Hear Me Knocking may alternate with Midnight Rambler as the "jam" song.

I friggen love Can't You Hear Me Knocking... but Midnight Rambler might be my all time favorite song. I gotta go with that one.

Of course, there's an obvious solution. Play 'em both!

Date: April 11, 2013 05:04

Tonyz
andrewt

I friggen love Can't You Hear Me Knocking... but Midnight Rambler might be my all time favorite song. I gotta go with that one.

Of course, there's an obvious solution. Play 'em both!

If they played both in the same show I would be very impressed.
Even more so if CYHMK took Miss You's place on the set.

By the way if you're going for the first time you're in for treat.
(And here's a tip: on the floor level mezzanine they have beer and liquor bars that you can totally go to even if you don't have floor tickets. Just enter or take the escalator down at gate 2. This way you'll actually be able to get a drink before the show starts.)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-04-11 05:13 by andrewt.

Posted by: slew ()
Date: April 11, 2013 05:06

Please dump Miss You!!!!

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: April 11, 2013 05:14

slew
Please dump Miss You!!!!

Sure, unless you can get Wyman to play the bassline.

Posted by: georgeV ()
Date: April 11, 2013 05:43

I think the set list will be very similar to Dec.

Posted by: palerider22 ()
Date: April 11, 2013 05:47

Tonyz
I'm guessing that it's going to be the basic structure that we saw in Nov/Dec.

Not that I'm complaining. As someone who's never seen them before, seeing any of those sets in Toronto would be an absolute fantasy.

But anyways... you guys expecting the same basic songs from the first five shows or any that you think aren't gonna make the cut?

Welcome to Toronto, Tony...I saw them for the first time in your town...Buffalo '81. I'd really like to hear...everything from Brussels! But if there's one song they absolutely gotta do...Love In Vain with MT...

Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: April 11, 2013 13:51

yes , there might be a song or two different here and there in the setlist

Posted by: electricmud ()
Date: April 11, 2013 14:07

The setlist is second row. To me the most important thing is that they keep their enthusiasm and playing as in 2012. Hope that they don´t start posing (Keith) and fooling around (Ronnie) instead of playing. Hope they keep the energielevel high with the added background musicians, guitars upfront, less horns and no polishing. That is my dream.

Tom

Date: April 11, 2013 14:22

slew
Please dump Miss You!!!!

It was much better this time around, and I really liked Micks harp playing.

I'd say it's time to give HTW a rest instead.

Date: April 11, 2013 15:01

DandelionPowderman
slew
Please dump Miss You!!!!

It was much better this time around, and I really liked Micks harp playing.

I'd say it's time to give HTW a rest instead.

Yeah that's become pretty rote in recent years.
I love it when Keith vamps the riff at the start but the rest of it these days doesn't measure up to those opening bars.

Posted by: sjs12 ()
Date: April 11, 2013 15:48

I think the bigger question is how much will Mick Taylor be involved? Let's face it they could have given him 2 or 3 songs to play on last time but didn't.

I'd love to see Sway or CYHMK with him playing. Those songs NEED him wheras MR is fine without him.

Posted by: Send It To me ()
Date: April 11, 2013 15:50

The set list will be very similar to 1969, with the addition of Tumbing Dice Miss You and Start Me Up.

Posted by: MJRocksoff ()
Date: April 11, 2013 15:51

If I were to guess from hearing Keith on Fallon the other night, Mick Taylor will play more then just Rambler. My guess is they have a special "set" for Taylor.

Date: April 11, 2013 15:51

sjs12
I think the bigger question is how much will Mick Taylor be involved? Let's face it they could have given him 2 or 3 songs to play on last time but didn't.

I'd love to see Sway or CYHMK with him playing. Those songs NEED him wheras MR is fine without him.

The rest of the song needs to be good as well. With Mick's singing from the BB-tour in mind, I'd pass on Sway.

Shake Your Hips, however, I would love to see Taylor on!

Date: April 11, 2013 15:52

sjs, I agree. CYHMK, Moonlight Mile, Rocks Off, Sway, Bitch, Dead Flowers. They gotta do some of these, in addition of Midnight Rambler, of course.

Date: April 11, 2013 15:54

Bitch?

Date: April 11, 2013 15:56

Well I'm just looking for any excuse for Sticky Fingers songs.

Date: April 11, 2013 16:00

Shake your hips would be awesome!

You're probably right about Sway but I think it would be worth it for the solo alone.

Posted by: R ()
Date: April 11, 2013 17:57

"If you had to guess, would you expect to see similar sets to the 2012 shows? "

It'll be more like the 2012 shows than not. That's how the 'Stones roll.

Date: April 11, 2013 18:08

For me, one of the highlights of those recent shows was the choir intro to YCAGWYW - I wonder if there are choirs rehearsing right now in each city the Stones are playing in order to keep that on the setlist?!

Posted by: Scooby ()
Date: April 11, 2013 18:18

Are the US venues indoors or outdoors because that tends to inluence set lists. If you consider the 4 Flicks DVD set then the setlists for MSG, Twickenham and Paris Olympia were vastly different.

As it is I expect the Hyde Park setlist to be nearer the Twickenham setlist than the 02 setlist from November.

Date: April 11, 2013 19:07

I think we can expect the same setlist as we've had since Licks actually. Warhorse heavy, some early stuff, a couple of rarer numbers, one or two new songs and a cover.

What matters more to me than the set list is that they play more like they did in 2012 with lots of energy and both Keith and Ron on form.

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: April 11, 2013 19:48

electricmud
The setlist is second row. To me the most important thing is that they keep their enthusiasm and playing as in 2012. Hope that they don´t start posing (Keith) and fooling around (Ronnie) instead of playing. Hope they keep the energielevel high with the added background musicians, guitars upfront, less horns and no polishing. That is my dream.

Tom

Amen to that

Posted by: mtaylor ()
Date: April 11, 2013 21:18

sjs12
I think we can expect the same setlist as we've had since Licks actually. Warhorse heavy, some early stuff, a couple of rarer numbers, one or two new songs and a cover.

What matters more to me than the set list is that they play more like they did in 2012 with lots of energy and both Keith and Ron on form.

A interesting interview with Billy Joel from Rolling Stone including the discussion - warhorses vs obscure songs / playing an enitre album with less known songs:

The plans are still very much in flux, though he's giving a lot of thought to exactly which older songs he hopes to resurrect. "I'd love to do 'Surprises' or 'She's Right on Time' or 'Laura,'" he says. "I would also love to do 'Sleeping With the Television On.' On the other hand, I remember going to see Led Zeppelin at Madison Square Garden and they didn't do one hit. They didn't do 'Whole Lotta Love.' They played all blues jams and I walked away very disappointed. I was like, 'I don't know any of this shit!"

Joel has a precedent for these sorts of obscurities shows: he challenged his audience at the opening night of his 2006 tour in Sunrise, Florida when he opened with 'Piano Man' (his traditional closer) and then played a long set of rarities like "Zanzibar," "Great Wall of China," "All for Leyna" and "Where's the Orchestra." He quickly reverted back to the hits a few nights later. "We thought it was great," he says. "But the audience was like, 'I don't know this stuff!' There has to be a balance between stuff people are familiar with and stuff they don't know

[www.rollingstone.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-04-11 21:18 by mtaylor.

Date: April 12, 2013 01:13

I am not sayong that the Rolling Stones should not play the "warhorses" they just don't need to play Brown Sugar, HTW, SFTD, YCAGWYW, SFM, SMU, TD and Satisfaction at every show. There are songs from Hot Rocks, More Hot Rocks, Exile, LLet it Bleed and the like that people are familiar with that they could play and everyone would go home happy.

JJF and Gimme Shelter should be the only obligatory songs they play. I like JJF as an opener rather than closer, If Taylor has a larger role I'd like to see:
Time Waits For No One
CYHMK
Sway
Shine A Light
Star Star
Moonlight Mile

There is a lot they can do with the setlist that would please everyone.

Where are:
TIOMS
Heart Of Stone
Play With Fire
Mother's Little Helper
19th Nervous Breakdown
It's All Over Now - played at 02 and shelved for the Last Time rotate them
Child of the Moon
Dandelion
Monkey Man
Stray Cat Blues
Good Times Bad Times

They seem to ignore the early and mid 60's for the most part.

Anyways I don't know where I'm going.

Date: April 12, 2013 02:28

Slew... I don't know, man. I can't imagine a causal fan who paid 400 bucks for a tickets leaving the show and being happy that he heard Stray Cat Blues, Child of the Moon, or Star Star and not Sympathy for the Devil, Tumbling Dice, or Satisfaction. In fact, I could see them start rioting!

I think most of the warhorses you listed are gonna get played at every show (well, not Street Fighting Man, probably).

But still, let's say they are definitely gonna play JJF, Brown Sugar, Gimme Shelter, YCAGWYW, Satisfaction, SFTD, Midnight Rambler, Tumbling Dice, Happy, Start Me Up, Miss You, and Honky Tonk Women.

That's 12 songs. Based on the 2012 setlists, we still have 10/11 more songs that we could have some fun with. Moonlight Mile, CYHMK, Sway, Bitch, All Down the Line, Mother's Little Helper, Rocks Off, You Got the Silver, Little T&A, Dead Flowers, Monkey Man, Let It Bleed... we can still get a nice mix of hits, fan favorites and deep cuts

Date: April 12, 2013 02:49

TonyZ - Okay say play six of those songs at every show. Maybe with MT you can rotate Rambler and CYHMK. The thing is the casual fan knows 19th Nervous Breakdown that song seems to get dissed by the band. There are a lot of things that they could do to keep it fresh and not do the same songs nightly.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1933
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home