Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

O.T. RIP Annette Funicello
Posted by: DaveG ()
Date: April 8, 2013 23:29

Was anyone else here also in love with her when you were a kid?

Re: O.T. RIP Annette Funicello
Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: April 8, 2013 23:35

Yeah. I doubt she was well known outside the States, unless they played the Mickey Mouse Club and the Beach Party movies outside the states. She had some atrocious pop singles.

Posted by: TatooMe ()
Date: April 8, 2013 23:54

Yes... at 9 years old I was interest in stuffing a wild bikini I just didn't know how yet.

Posted by: duke richardson ()
Date: April 9, 2013 00:10

those beach movies were pretty bad, but I went to a lot of 'em..

Posted by: stonesrule ()
Date: April 9, 2013 00:23

When I was a young college dropout turned reporter in LA I had, I believe, one of the last interviews Walt Disney did; he died soon after. We had lunch in the Disney commissary; he was quite a firm-minded man -- no bullshit. Towards the end of our lunch, he saw Annette enter the comissary and waved her over. "Hi Mr. Disney," she said and she sat down with us for a few minutes after we'd been introduced. In the late Sixties and the Seventies I came to know many of the movie greats but few filled me with as much awe as meeting the star of the Mickey Mouse Club. Ah the power of television re-runs!

I felt quite sad when we got the news of her death today. I hadn't quite realized her age because she just always "looked like Annette."

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-04-09 00:25 by stonesrule.

Posted by: DaveG ()
Date: April 9, 2013 00:40

Nice story, stonesrule.

I have had a "connection" with Disney since I was a small boy. My grandfather was an entrepreneur and a friend of Walt. He ran the food services from opening day at Disneyland. For many years, I would call him and he would get me and friends into Disneyland free of charge. When I was 15, I was dining with him at one of the restaurants, the Polynesian Terrace, and he walked over to a nearby table and, lo and behold, it was Mr. and Mrs. Disney having dinner. He then introduced me to them. As the years have gone by, I have realized what a significant moment that was for me.

Loved the Mouse Club. You're right, Annette never seemed to lose her youthful look.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: April 9, 2013 00:41

Posted by: owlbynite ()
Date: April 9, 2013 04:17

I met her in '87 when I was publicity director at an LA-area track. She was married at the time to a harness racehorse driver (I believe Glen Holt was his name) and was good enough to come out and do a promo for a big national race for us. A childhood fixture, too! And she passed the same day as Margaret Thatcher; used to write & edit news stories about her back in early 80s!

Posted by: belubettlo ()
Date: April 11, 2013 13:18

Annette Funicello - Tall Paul[1959]

The poor woman suffered from MS for 25 years:

Former Mouseketeer Dead at 70

Posted by: NoCode0680 ()
Date: April 11, 2013 14:15

RIP Annette. She's off at that big game of Beach Blanket Bingo in the sky. Look out for Brian, he cheats.

Posted by: Green Lady ()
Date: April 11, 2013 19:01

forget it - image won't post.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-04-11 20:13 by Green Lady.

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: April 11, 2013 20:06

My wife - the lovely Karen Annette - was named for her.

Her parents liked her on TV and in movies.

Posted by: Bliss ()
Date: April 11, 2013 23:34

M-I-C-K-E-Y M-O-U-S-E....RIP, little Mouseketeer.

Posted by: latebloomer ()
Date: April 12, 2013 00:42

I loved all those Beach Blanket Bingo movies, used to come home from school and watch them on the 4 O'Clock movie show. Annette was so cute and wholesome, the perfect girlfriend. RIP Annette.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2053
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home