Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12345678910Next
Current Page: 3 of 10
Re: O T Thatchers Dead
Posted by: beepee2 ()
Date: April 8, 2013 19:58

I'm surprised that in a big democracy like the UK, someone hated that much can remain in power for so long...... eye rolling smiley

Posted by: ash ()
Date: April 8, 2013 20:01

Sympathy for the devil ?
Not gonna happen here.

Posted by: EddieByword ()
Date: April 8, 2013 20:12

beepee2
I'm surprised that in a big democracy like the UK, someone hated that much can remain in power for so long...... eye rolling smiley

If it hadn't been that she had the 'good fortune' of the Falklands being invaded she would have been out in 1983. Just before the war she had the lowest ever rating of any serving Prime Minister ever. 25%. After that victory of course the domestic stuff came second for a while, then she lived off that until she got too big for her boots (started making big mistakes - poll tax etc) and was eventually slung out in the end by her own party.

imo Thatcher was a typical "wife beater" ....the life and soul out and about (International stage - Berlin Wall & Reagan etc), while behind closed doors all hell was letting loose.....(I think this is what Gravityboy is referring to) - The wealth of the country was sucked down to London and the South-east, and the rest of the UK is pretty much how she left it, in comparison - derelict - with a bit of window dressing.

Edited 5 time(s). Last edit at 2013-04-08 20:15 by EddieByword.

Posted by: GravityBoy ()
Date: April 8, 2013 20:12

beepee2

Most people didn't want her.

If you get 37% of the vote in the UK you get the right to ruin millions of people's lives unopposed.

It's not really democracy.

It's a shell game for people above it.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-04-08 20:13 by GravityBoy.

Posted by: Seb91 ()
Date: April 8, 2013 20:13

Title5Take1
"Jagger gives Prime Minister Margaret Thatcher credit for reducing taxes sufficiently that many expatriates have returned to Britain. `Given that,' says Jagger, `everyone in England—begrudgingly, some of them—has a lot of admiration for her.'"

From here >>>[www.forbes.com]

I'm not surprised, Mick's really wealthy. I think I read somewhere that Jimmy Page voted for her as well. In a sense I can't say I blame them, if I were mega rich I'd probably want to protect my money.

Being born after her time don't any personal experience of living under her but from what I've read over the years I disagree immensely with her politics. Still, celebrating someone's death strikes me as wrong (obviously there are exceptions), especially as she's been out of politics for so long.

Date: April 8, 2013 20:30

Seb91
Title5Take1
"Jagger gives Prime Minister Margaret Thatcher credit for reducing taxes sufficiently that many expatriates have returned to Britain. `Given that,' says Jagger, `everyone in England—begrudgingly, some of them—has a lot of admiration for her.'"

I'm not surprised, Mick's really wealthy. I think I read somewhere that Jimmy Page voted for her as well. In a sense I can't say I blame them, if I were mega rich I'd probably want to protect my money.

Being born after her time don't any personal experience of living under her but from what I've read over the years I disagree immensely with her politics. Still, celebrating someone's death strikes me as wrong (obviously there are exceptions), especially as she's been out of politics for so long.

Such was her effect, there's a woman from Easington in the North-East of England on the BBC news today who bought a bottle of Champagne back in the '80's especially for this day......."opening soon"

Posted by: Seb91 ()
Date: April 8, 2013 20:34

EddieByword
Seb91
Title5Take1

Such was her effect, there's a woman from Easington in the North-East of England on the BBC news today who bought a bottle of Champagne back in the '80's especially for this day......."opening soon"

Yeah, again as I wasn't around at the time I don't have any bad memories associated with her. I do object to her having a state funeral though, given her love of capitalism. I joked with a friend that they should hold it in The O2 and charge for tickets, maybe even outdo the Stones' prices!

Posted by: Rollin92 ()
Date: April 8, 2013 20:36

Seb91
EddieByword
Seb91
Title5Take1

Yeah, again as I wasn't around at the time I don't have any bad memories associated with her. I do object to her having a state funeral though, given her love of capitalism. I joked with a friend that they should hold it in The O2 and charge for tickets, maybe even outdo the Stones' prices!

I guarantee you the Welsh miners would pay any price just to make sure that she wasn't coming out of that coffin again!

Posted by: Massimo68 ()
Date: April 8, 2013 20:37

Joey Barton says north of Britain will be celebrating death of Margaret Thatcher

[www.morningstaronline.co.uk]

Football: Joey Barton said there would be “celebrations in the north” of Britain following the death of former prime minister Margaret Thatcher.

The outspoken QPR footballer, currently on loan at Marseille, took to Twitter to denounce the ex-Tory leader, saying: “Shouldn’t be a state funeral. She was despised by many. Mourning in the South. Celebrations in the North.”

On her legacy, he wrote: “IMO history will look back upon her with distain. What she did to the working class’s, will live long after shes shoved down that bury hole!”

In a further missive, he added: “I’d say RIP Maggie but it wouldn’t be true. If Heaven exists that old witch won’t be there...”

Barton was not the only sportsperson to weigh in on the debate, with former footballer and now professional boxer Curtis Woodhouse adding to Barton’s criticism of the former premier.

Woodhouse, who famously confronted a Twitter troll last month, wrote: “Well looks like thatchers died, she wont be getting much sypathy from anybody brought up in the 80s up north thats a fact #thatchersbritain.”

Prompted by users to justify his remark, Woodhouse added: “A woman that made the rich richer and tried to bring working class familys to there knees, wont be mourned by any of my family #thatcher.”

Also writing on Twitter, former Liverpool player and pundit Stan Collymore said that Thatcher’s tenure had made Britain a more unequal place.

He wrote: “2 GREAT English cities, Liverpool & London. Proof of the inequalities and division of a nation under Thatcherism.”

Date: April 8, 2013 20:43

Rollin92
Seb91
EddieByword
Seb91
Title5Take1

I guarantee you the Welsh miners would pay any price just to make sure that she wasn't coming out of that coffin again!

I was working the open air markets in the valleys (I used to travel to Treorchy from Swansea every Thursday via Port Talbot (and past Glyncorrwg) and come back via the north route passed Hirwaun and Tower Colliery then down the Neath valley) and over in Ammanford in those days......diabolical....basically instead of maybe just pruning back the power of the unions she destroyed them by starving the miners out.

Date: April 8, 2013 20:50

EddieByword
Rollin92
Seb91
EddieByword
Seb91
Title5Take1

I was working the open air markets in the valleys (I used to travel to Treorchy from Swansea every Thursday via Port Talbot (and past Glyncorrwg) and come back via the north route passed Hirwaun and Tower Colliery then down the Neath valley) and over in Ammanford in those days......diabolical....basically instead of maybe just pruning back the power of the unions she destroyed them by starving the miners out.

I know the route well, absolutely bleak places now. No soul whatsoever - shame really as it presents Wales in a bad light. I'm no Welsh nationalist but it makes my blood boil sometimes!

Date: April 8, 2013 20:55

Rollin92
EddieByword
Rollin92
Seb91
EddieByword
Seb91
Title5Take1

I know the route well, absolutely bleak places now. No soul whatsoever - shame really as it presents Wales in a bad light. I'm no Welsh nationalist but it makes my blood boil sometimes!

Socially and ecomonically bleak but still has a certain natural charm, after all they do call it Little Switzerland up there if I remember rightly......

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-04-08 20:58 by EddieByword.

Date: April 8, 2013 20:57

Thats true, cracking scenery.

Posted by: Deltics ()
Date: April 8, 2013 21:01

"As we say in England, it can get a bit trainspottery"

Posted by: crumbling_mice ()
Date: April 8, 2013 21:03

Vile woman. I lived through all her Governments and at the time was struggling to get a job due to being made redundant in 1982. Her approach to those out of work was just despicable and what she did to the mining communities in the North of England were evil.

I certainly won;t be shedding a tear. But with my other head on (a Degree in History Politics and Philosophy) she played an important part in moving Britian into consumer age, where everybody was a customer and opened up the service industry, stakeholders, shareholders. For good or bad, depends which way you look at it.

Posted by: GravityBoy ()
Date: April 8, 2013 21:11

crumbling_mice
Vile woman. I lived through all her Governments and at the time was struggling to get a job due to being made redundant in 1982.

I was made redundant in 1981.

Horrible time.

I certainly won;t be shedding a tear. But with my other head on (a Degree in History Politics and Philosophy) she played an important part in moving Britian into consumer age, where everybody was a customer and opened up the service industry, stakeholders, shareholders. For good or bad, depends which way you look at it.

Bad.

Socially vacuous Britain, no vision, no hope, no future... just a boot stamping on human face... forever...

Posted by: Goldsmith ()
Date: April 8, 2013 21:32

All Thatcher did was defeat communism and promote freedom. When she came to office the average U.K. citizen was 10% poorer than the average Frenchman. When she left the average U.K. citizen was 10% richer.

Yeah...life under her leadership must have been horrible...

Posted by: Braincapers ()
Date: April 8, 2013 21:33

from the pen of the great Ian Hunter

Long live the leaders
Long may they reign
May they live long enough
To feel every single pain

They don't care about the widows
They don't give no reasons why
They just keep on making medals
You can buy

From the death 'n' glory boys

Posted by: Angus MacBagpipe ()
Date: April 8, 2013 21:40

An approps suggestion from Director Ken Loach:

"How should we honour her? Let's privatize her funeral. Put it out to competitive tender and accept the cheapest bid. It's what she would have wanted"

Posted by: odean73 ()
Date: April 8, 2013 21:41

EddieByword
beepee2

If it hadn't been that she had the 'good fortune' of the Falklands being invaded she would have been out in 1983. Just before the war she had the lowest ever rating of any serving Prime Minister ever. 25%. After that victory of course the domestic stuff came second for a while, then she lived off that until she got too big for her boots (started making big mistakes - poll tax etc) and was eventually slung out in the end by her own party.

imo Thatcher was a typical "wife beater" ....the life and soul out and about (International stage - Berlin Wall & Reagan etc), while behind closed doors all hell was letting loose.....(I think this is what Gravityboy is referring to) - The wealth of the country was sucked down to London and the South-east, and the rest of the UK is pretty much how she left it, in comparison - derelict - with a bit of window dressing.

This is so true about the falklands.

She knackered the press, miners and steel workers, but had nothing in plan to supplement the devasation she caused to people and the communities.

Posted by: odean73 ()
Date: April 8, 2013 21:45

ash
Sympathy for the devil ?
Not gonna happen here.

Sorry i got that one wrong, obviously not thinking straight at the time.

Posted by: still ill ()
Date: April 8, 2013 21:46

RIP Maggie, sorry i was too young to vote for you. I'll save my joy for when Livingstone, Galloway and all the other divisive leftie scumbags pop it.

Posted by: BlackHat ()
Date: April 8, 2013 21:50

Father Ted
I'm no Thatcherite, but from what I've read, the UK was in a pretty poor state by 1979 and she did what she felt was necessary to bring the country out of its decline. She had "the courage of her convictions" and probably more testosterone than her all-male Cabinet!

Using that logic then you would have to admire Jo Stalin. Yes, Thatcher sorted out a few things but she made Britain a harsher, more materialistic place to live. I can express admiration for her.

Date: April 8, 2013 22:03

Goldsmith
All Thatcher did was defeat communism and promote freedom. When she came to office the average U.K. citizen was 10% poorer than the average Frenchman. When she left the average U.K. citizen was 10% richer.

Yeah...life under her leadership must have been horrible...

Thatcher didn't defeat communism, it was a war of attrition between the US and the USSR which the US won. imo the only reason Thatcher was on Reagan's arm so to speak was because of the certain eye twinkling "je ne sais quoi" between them, and even he didn't just do it, it was an arms race that had been going on for 45 years which the USSR finally couldn't afford to keep pace with...so.......

Freedom......yeah, the freedom of a shark feeding frenzy......great!
Bang goes the enviroment (consumerism is only sustainable for a short while, now we're finding out....doh!) animal habitats and any other poor suckers who're not just focused on feeding their greed.

10% richer?....probaly translates as top 10% = 90% richer, everyone else can eat cake..................pun intended.

The unions may have been a bit bloated after 150 years of growing since the industrial revolution but killing them off more or less completely has just left nasty vicious culture in the vacuum........everyone from the supermarkets to energy companies to the Rolling Stones (and would also include the doctors but for the NHS) are just out to screw you for as much as they can get or as little as possible in return.
The normal pride in work of the union backed tradseman went by the way by Thatcher's grace .........just awful. They have regular program on TV here called Rip-off Britain..........confused smiley
Of course there are much worse places to live but that's no excuse to say this is ideal or even good.

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 2013-04-08 22:09 by EddieByword.

Date: April 8, 2013 22:04

still ill
RIP Maggie, sorry i was too young to vote for you. I'll save my joy for when Livingstone, Galloway and all the other divisive leftie scumbags pop it.

Lol.you're excused, you're still ill................>grinning smiley<

Posted by: seitan ()
Date: April 8, 2013 22:08

Here the mad cow speaks to her friend - psychopathic mass murderer, war criminal and dictator of Chile.

Posted by: monkeymark ()
Date: April 8, 2013 22:11

Massimo68
Joey Barton says north of Britain will be celebrating death of Margaret Thatcher

Football: Joey Barton said there would be “celebrations in the north” of Britain following the death of former prime minister Margaret Thatcher.

The outspoken QPR footballer, currently on loan at Marseille, took to Twitter to denounce the ex-Tory leader, saying: “Shouldn’t be a state funeral. She was despised by many. Mourning in the South. Celebrations in the North.”

On her legacy, he wrote: “IMO history will look back upon her with distain. What she did to the working class’s, will live long after shes shoved down that bury hole!”

In a further missive, he added: “I’d say RIP Maggie but it wouldn’t be true. If Heaven exists that old witch won’t be there...”

Barton was not the only sportsperson to weigh in on the debate, with former footballer and now professional boxer Curtis Woodhouse adding to Barton’s criticism of the former premier.

Woodhouse, who famously confronted a Twitter troll last month, wrote: “Well looks like thatchers died, she wont be getting much sypathy from anybody brought up in the 80s up north thats a fact #thatchersbritain.”

Prompted by users to justify his remark, Woodhouse added: “A woman that made the rich richer and tried to bring working class familys to there knees, wont be mourned by any of my family #thatcher.”

Also writing on Twitter, former Liverpool player and pundit Stan Collymore said that Thatcher’s tenure had made Britain a more unequal place.

He wrote: “2 GREAT English cities, Liverpool & London. Proof of the inequalities and division of a nation under Thatcherism.”

Whatever your view of Thatcher I'm not sure any sane person should be taking too much notice of the views of Joey Barton and Stan Collymore

Posted by: SonicDreamer ()
Date: April 8, 2013 22:14

odean73
Thatcher passed away.

Hurrah! She was a nasty piece of work when she was Prime Minister, makes David Cameron almost seem benign (I said almost!). She privatised all the UK's National assets, put a straight-jacket on the Trade Unions, decimated the Miners, introduced that Taxation aberration - the Poll Tax. Squandered probably 100s millions of Tax Payers money on the Falklands War, the list goes on and on....

I would not like her Karma in her next life.

Chers,
SonicD

Posted by: MILKYWAY ()
Date: April 8, 2013 22:14

Life in the UK was a lot better when Maggie Thatcher was PM. Less crime, lower taxes, almost full employment, more social programs to help the poor, etc. Now hooligans have taken over; beating, raping, and looting, and the bobbies just look the other way.

We need "a man" like Maggie to get the UK back to the glory days of the 1980s. Perhaps a lass from the British National Party.

Date: April 8, 2013 22:18

monkeymark
Massimo68

Whatever your view of Thatcher I'm not sure any sane person should be taking too much notice of the views of Joey Barton and Stan Collymore

I think they've got the temperature of the country about right, in fact it's pretty measured language compared to some of the thiings being said locally........

Goto Page: Previous12345678910Next
Current Page: 3 of 10

This Thread has been closed

Online Users

Guests: 2153
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home