Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12345678910Next
Current Page: 5 of 10
Re: OT: RIP Margaret Thatcher
Posted by: ash ()
Date: April 8, 2013 20:11

I'm not glad she's dead so to speak but...
"there is no society" and "the market will provide" are two of the dumbest things i have heard from a politician.
What's more infuriating is that it reminds me that if labour and the unions hadn't messed up this country so badly in the 70s then we probably wouldn't have suffered her reign.
and here we are again, labour spent their 3 terms messing everything up, destroying the economy and here are thatcher's children making cut backs from the disabled and poor while the people responsible (previously in power and otherwise) get away scot free.
Also doesn't thatch's arms dealing, coup embracing son get to be baroness now ? god it makes me puke more than ob la di bla da.
Anyway, gotta go. Just got a party invite.

Posted by: GravityBoy ()
Date: April 8, 2013 20:35

ash
What's more infuriating is that it reminds me that if labour and the unions hadn't messed up this country so badly in the 70s then we probably wouldn't have suffered her reign.

It was a war that Labour and the Unions couldn't win without a revolution.

The reason that they "messed up" is because they were demanding fair reward for work and the people with the money decided that they could go to hell and were happy to let it happen.

Which paved the way for the blinkered selfishness we've suffered ever since.

Fairness?... who should get more... a miner who puts his life on the line every day in terrible conditions.. or a banker... or a rock star?

Posted by: mr_dja ()
Date: April 8, 2013 21:02

GravityBoy
ash

It was a war that Labour and the Unions couldn't win without a revolution.

The reason that they "messed up" is because they were demanding fair reward for work and the people with the money decided that they could go to hell and were happy to let it happen.

Which paved the way for the blinkered selfishness we've suffered ever since.

Fairness?... who should get more... a miner who puts his life on the line every day in terrible conditions.. or a banker... or a rock star?

FYI: Life is not fair. Never has been, never will be. Any legislator who promises you that they will make it so, is most likely lying to you.

Peace,
Mr DJA

Date: April 8, 2013 21:14

mr_dja
FYI: Life is not fair. Never has been, never will be. Any legislator who promises you that they will make it so, is most likely lying to you.

Peace,
Mr DJA

Do you have a problem with people who try to make it fair?

Do we roll over and play dead? Do we bow, tug our forelocks and be thankful for handouts?

Better to light a candle than curse the darkness.

Posted by: Angus MacBagpipe ()
Date: April 8, 2013 21:29

Ding Dong

Posted by: EddieByword ()
Date: April 8, 2013 21:31

Angus MacBagpipe
Ding Dong

You been reading Frank Skinner..........winking smiley

Posted by: seitan ()
Date: April 8, 2013 21:34

Considering that the mad cow believed the state should do as little as possible to help anyone. There should be competitive bids from rich private companies to run her funeral arrangements. You know, We could have it sponsored by Burger King or McDonald's, or Nokia Mobile Phone Company. Maybe a clown in a Ronald McDonald costume could flame-grill her body and feed it to dogs at some private party.

Date: April 8, 2013 21:35

GravityBoy
mr_dja

Peace,
Mr DJA

Do we roll over and play dead? Do we bow, tug our forelocks and be thankful for handouts?

Damn right............

If it hadn't been for people trying to level things up a bit over the centuries, people 'round here at least would still have a life expectancy of 40....my tin plate working grandfather lived to a ripe old age of 46.....he lived longer than anyone in his extended family

Posted by: dimrstone ()
Date: April 8, 2013 21:40

Posted by: odean73 ()
Date: April 8, 2013 21:51

FrankM
Shade
A great lady and a courageous leader. Rest in peace.

Yep. Unfortunately this forum has some far left wing "unstables" so you will inevitably see comments comparing her to @#$%&, calling her a witch etc. etc., It's really a reflection on the posters that show their ignorance rather than on her.

Perhaps it might be just other people's ignorance and with some of us posters having to live through her years.

Posted by: BlackHat ()
Date: April 8, 2013 21:54

Shade

Yes, but only if you concede that Jo Stalin was a great man and a courageous leader.

Posted by: Title5Take1 ()
Date: April 8, 2013 22:02

"Jagger gives Prime Minister Margaret Thatcher credit for reducing taxes sufficiently that many expatriates have returned to Britain. `Given that,' says Jagger, `everyone in England—begrudgingly, some of them—has a lot of admiration for her.' Rolling Stones drummer Charlie Watts, for one, has moved back.” [www.forbes.com]

Posted by: belld ()
Date: April 8, 2013 22:03

A very close friend of General Pinochet. Enough said.

Date: April 8, 2013 22:04

The only good thing about that cow was her insiration to music.

21-incredibly-angry-songs-about-margaret:

[www.buzzfeed.com]

Posted by: FrankM ()
Date: April 8, 2013 22:07

odean73
FrankM
Shade

Yep. Unfortunately this forum has some far left wing "unstables" so you will inevitably see comments comparing her to @#$%&, calling her a witch etc. etc., It's really a reflection on the posters that show their ignorance rather than on her.

Perhaps it might be just other people's ignorance and with some of us posters having to live through her years.

Well unfortunately that is the world of politics. We can vote in elections but we can't always get what we want. She served for quite awhile right? Somebody was voting for her. The left wingers don't like it when a right winger is in office and vice versa. That's just the way it is.

I won't criticize somebody for not liking her or her politics but the vileness and nastiness in some of these posts is a reflection on the posters themselves.

"Lyin' awake in a cold, cold sweat. Am I overdrawn, am I going in debt?
It gets worse, the older that you get. No escape from the state of confusion I'm in.

Date: April 8, 2013 22:09

FrankM
odean73
FrankM
Shade

Well unfortunately that is the world of politics. We can vote in elections but we can't always get what we want. She served for quite awhile right? Somebody was voting for her. The left wingers don't like it when a right winger is in office and vice versa. That's just the way it is.

I won't criticize somebody for not liking her or her politics but the vileness and nastiness in some of these posts is a reflection on the posters themselves.

Dont be ignorant.
Remember Chile.

Posted by: odean73 ()
Date: April 8, 2013 22:14

FrankM
odean73
FrankM
Shade

Thats fair enough.

I dont consider myself a nasty or vile person but if there was one person i have been waiting for, it was her.The only one.

Date: April 8, 2013 22:23

FrankM
odean73
FrankM
Shade

Maybe, (I say generously) the "vile nastiness" of the posters is a reflection of the "Vile nastiness" imposed upon them in times gone by, by this woman. The Tories were known throughout the land as the "Nasty party"......

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2013-04-08 22:24 by EddieByword.

Date: April 8, 2013 22:26

FrankM
odean73
FrankM
Shade

heres some vileness and nastiness to you: Song about her politics.

Posted by: MILKYWAY ()
Date: April 8, 2013 22:32

Shade

Hear, hear. She did a helluva job. People like to demonize her, and they forget all the good Maggie did for the UK. The UK certainly was a super-power during her reign. We sure could use a man like her today.

Rest in peace, Prime Minister. You will be missed.

Posted by: FrankM ()
Date: April 8, 2013 22:35

seitan
FrankM
odean73
FrankM
Shade

heres some vileness and nastiness to you: Song about her politics.

So a rock group doesn't like her. Can you think for yourself or do they think for you? Do they go to the bathroom for you too?

Posted by: mr_dja ()
Date: April 8, 2013 22:41

GravityBoy
mr_dja

Peace,
Mr DJA

You're actually the one that brought up "fairness" in your previous post when you asked who should get more, a miner, a banker or a rock star. Since you didn't state "more of what", I could only respond to the overall concept of fairness.

In answer to your specific follow-up questions I can state that if someone is trying to create an equal opportunity for all to achieve their own success, I'm behind them 100%. However, I'll fight tooth & nail against someone who wants to take from someone's success to pad someone else's failures under the guise of "fairness".

"Roll over & play dead" is exactly what most of the powers that be are counting on & hoping for (though I personally can't understand why). Personally I get motivated to work even harder. Thankfully I've never had to bow to anyone and would hate to see the fall out if someone thought I should bow to them (though if I were a visitor in Japan I think I'd be willing to). Please explain the "tug our forelocks" reference as I'm not familiar with that saying. As far as being "thankful for handouts", I'd be far happier with a hand up and would seriously consider throwing a "handout" back at someone depending on their preceived intent and expectations that came with the handout.

Realize something, I am not "cursing the darkness". I have a candle the size of the olympic torch burning. However, life still isn't fair and it's not going to be fair in any of our lifetimes (I hope). At least until the social engineers find a way to breed us all into good equal workers, there will always be those of us who are faster/slower, taller/shorter, smarter/dumber, etc. In addition to the physical differences, there will also always be those of us that society values more than others. I think that's OK and I really don't think I'd want it any other way. I believe in fair competition as a way of bringing out strength and improvemnt. I believe far more in individual's abilities to build a better society than society's ability to build better individuals.

Peace,
Mr DJA

Posted by: BlackHat ()
Date: April 8, 2013 22:43

Posted by: Whale ()
Date: April 8, 2013 22:46

Played "The final cut" today.
The fletcher memorial home for incurable ....

Date: April 8, 2013 22:59

mr_dja
However, I'll fight tooth & nail against someone who wants to take from someone's success to pad someone else's failures under the guise of "fairness".

I've no problem with success. Miners and all those who do the crappy jobs that the rich wouldn't dream of doing are successful.

But in a fair system the rock star and the banker would not get more than the miner.. less in fact.

The miner is successful.

The system that only truely rewards craftiness and guile isn't fair.

The systems "takes away" from the success of the miner.

I'll fight tooth and nail to get the success of the miner recognised.

But the system... It's created by bankers, for bankers, on behalf of bankers.

Anyone who distracts the public (like rocks stars, celebs etc) are just the bread and the circus.

Re: O T Thatchers Dead
Date: April 8, 2013 23:17

GravityBoy
odean73
Has everyone forgotten how she streamlined the economy and kept the streets safe? Really, do you think the UK of today is in better shape than it was when Thatcher was PM?

Streamlined the economy?

She dropped the restrictions that allowed all the rich people who got rich by exploiting British workers to move their money to foreign countries and stuff the british worker even more.

There is no longer a british industry.

Thatcher saw to that.

Britain is now London (and nice country estates)... for everyone else it's tough titties.

Gravity,lol, I think you've got your quotes mixed up a bit there..........That's MilKy way's quotes

Posted by: Redhotcarpet ()
Date: April 8, 2013 23:21

Maybe some Brits view on Thatcher would be different had they lived under some nasty dictator like Chavez. Closing down an expensive dangerous and rapidly dying remnant of the industrial era may very well have been horrible for those employed by that dinosaur but surely the perspective changes over time?

Posted by: misterfrias ()
Date: April 8, 2013 23:25

Sounds like Maggie is the UK's version of our former President George W. Bush.

eye rolling smiley

Posted by: Whale ()
Date: April 8, 2013 23:25

Redhotcarpet
Maybe some Brits view on Thatcher would be different had they lived under some nasty dictator like Chavez. Closing down an expensive dangerous and rapidly dying remnant of the industrial era may very well have been horrible for those employed by that dinosaur but surely the perspective changes over time?
Thatcher is the one that deregularised the financial industry, leading to the London city. The mines maybe were dinosaurs, and maybe also the shipyards, but the banking industry is pretty much dinosaur by now too...
What did I say? Ah no, that wasn't political. I was just saying I played "the final cut"...

Date: April 8, 2013 23:27

Redhotcarpet

NO IT HASN'T.

We have never recovered.

Britain is officially a sh*thole.

No hope, no future (please look outside of tourist central London). The people with the money moved it somewhere else (more profitable for them) a long time ago.

For instance... Why can't Britain produce coal? We have lots of it still.

Don't give me "ecology" because at least 5 countries in the world are mining coal on a large scale.

It was Thatcher teaching the unions a lesson about how they can't win against the rich.

Thatcher destroyed the unions and the voice of ordinary people trying to get a fair deal.

Goto Page: Previous12345678910Next
Current Page: 5 of 10

This Thread has been closed

Online Users

Guests: 2002
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home