Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3
Re: Indian girl
Posted by: davido ()
Date: February 15, 2005 01:29

No problemo! ;-)

Posted by: monkey man ()
Date: February 15, 2005 08:13

Dunno if I buy Jagger being tongue in cheek on this one.
"Faraway eyes" and "Dear doctor" - of course but IG I don't think so.

I think that later he heard what they had done and probably thought "oorr my gawd..", and tried to pass it off as a bit of a face saving joke.

Hard to be tongue in cheek when you consider the lyrical content of this song.

It's a dud of a song that's on an average album. At least the rest of it is light and fun - apart from this track and Keith's ode to Anita.

kyle m

Have you ever lent somebody $20 and never seen them again? It was probably worth it.

Date: February 15, 2005 14:26

It's lyrics are in the regional politics of the time
which may be obscure today when Jagger/ Richards
won't touch this stuff.

Posted by: Rorty ()
Date: February 15, 2005 14:59

Of the political content.. I think Dylan's "Senor (Tales of the Yankee Power)", from Street Legal album, released two years earlier of Emotional Rescue, might have something common with "Indian Girl", perhaps even the inspiration.. at least the lyrics are mutually obscure and confusing.. But there once again Bob hits the target, no matter that I don't grasp what a hell he is trying to say..!

Second thought: maybe "Indian Girl", with its lyrics and 'funny' vocal, is really a caricature or parody of Dylan (like Jagger has confessed "Some Girls" song to be)!

- Doxa

Date: February 15, 2005 15:16

One of the songs on Desire (Dylan) is almost identical to Indian Girl as well. I will have a listen tonight to check which song. Even the "la la la..." theme is included!

Posted by: T&A ()
Date: February 15, 2005 18:02

Dylan attempts to explain Senor during some of the '78 tour performances of the song.

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: February 15, 2005 20:28

IG is much better than the much despised "Blinded By Love". Now there's some embarassing lyrics.

Posted by: Bob Tamp ()
Date: February 16, 2005 04:01

like it and always have. I have always been a big sucker for Stones ballads.

Date: February 16, 2005 04:03

Seems one either loves it or
hates it, no inbetween.

Posted by: monkey man ()
Date: February 16, 2005 05:18

I don't hate it, I just think it's a poor effort by Stones standards.

As for "Blinded by love" - the lyrics are quite intelligent to begin with and furthermore the song musically and instrumentally makes sense - IG does not.

It was produced well and doesn't outstay its welcome ie it isn't too long ala IG or something else like "Fell on baby".

kyle m

Have you ever lent somebody $20 and never seen them again? It was probably worth it.

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: February 16, 2005 20:47

Monkey Man, I respect your opinion although we differ. I think you meant to put "Feel On Baby" even though "Fell On Baby" is a better title. LMAO

Posted by: Title5Take1 ()
Date: May 7, 2011 12:34

I love it (including the Latin horn section). Mick had an emotional stake in Nicaraguan politics because of Bianca and Jade. The song is mainly about the Nicaraguan civil war of the late 70's, where the rebel communist Sandinistas were attacking the American-supported presidency of Anastasio Somoza Debayle (who was later assassinated in exile in Paraguay). Much intense fighting took place in the Nicaraguan town of Masaya. (Masaya is located between the Nicaraguan capital of Managua and Granada, probably the "Nueva Granada" the "Indian girl" is from). Latin American communism included Latin American communists fighting in Angola, Africa (Castro had 50,000 men fighting there). Read more about the fighting in Masaya, Nicaragua in this 1978 TIME article at link >>> [www.time.com]

Locales in INDIAN GIRL:

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-05-11 07:54 by Title5Take1.

Posted by: letitloose ()
Date: May 7, 2011 13:22

I always loved the refrain..."Life just goes on and on, getting harder and harder."

Its a much derided song here but I love it

Date: May 7, 2011 13:28

...always loved Bill's bass on it -
(it IS Bill playing here, isn't it?)

["I can hear the Bullfrog calling me..."]

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: May 7, 2011 16:33

Great song...Little Indian Girl, where is your mama...

2 1 2 0

Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: May 7, 2011 17:03

I still think the song is brilliant. The horns are awesome. It's better than Angie, it's better than Streets Of Shit, etc...

Posted by: The Worst. ()
Date: May 7, 2011 17:07

As bad as "Blined by Love" from Steel Wheels.

Posted by: guitarbastard ()
Date: May 7, 2011 18:55

lot of people hate it, i like it! but then again i also prefer ER to tattoo you...

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: May 7, 2011 19:07

Horrible. Maudlin sentimentality on their weakest album to this point in their careers. I got my first impression that they were on the wane - especially after having just heard how great rock'n'roll could still be on The Clash's London Calling album.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-05-07 19:48 by Silver Dagger.

Posted by: stonescrow ()
Date: May 7, 2011 19:22

I absolutely love this song. Would work fantastic in a pub setting.

Posted by: stonescrow ()
Date: May 7, 2011 19:28

skipstone
I still think the song is brilliant. The horns are awesome. It's better than Angie, it's better than Streets Of Shit, etc...

Absolutely, and I would take it over Brown Sugar and Honkey Tonk Woman any day of the week, and I am not joking.

Posted by: andrewm ()
Date: May 7, 2011 19:34

Love Indian Girl, also love Send It to Me from ER, the precursor to Neighbors from the next alb. I don't care if they're goofy. I was 15 when that album came out and those two songs were stalwarts on my summer mix tapes back then.

Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: May 7, 2011 19:51

Silver Dagger
Horrible. Maudlin sentimentality on their weakest album to this point in their careers.

No way. TSMR is weaker and Dirty Work is their weakest album ever. ER, as goofy as it is, has swagger to it. There's just something about the album that is good. Not great like Exile/Sticky etc but good. Sonically it's excellent, one of their better sounding albums (much better than Some Girls).

Posted by: uhbuhgullayew ()
Date: May 7, 2011 19:54

Brilliant

Posted by: rooster ()
Date: May 7, 2011 22:00

b wymans fav tune of this album....do you want to be a indian in mid america?
living gets harder and

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: May 7, 2011 22:06

skipstone
Silver Dagger
Horrible. Maudlin sentimentality on their weakest album to this point in their careers.

No way. TSMR is weaker and Dirty Work is their weakest album ever. ER, as goofy as it is, has swagger to it. There's just something about the album that is good. Not great like Exile/Sticky etc but good. Sonically it's excellent, one of their better sounding albums (much better than Some Girls).

Skip, nothing on Emotional Rescue comes near to the majesty of 2000 Light Years From Home or She's A Rainbow, or the psychedelic bite of Citadel.

Posted by: Title5Take1 ()
Date: May 10, 2011 07:30

davido

The marimba styled Indian Girl

Are UNDER MY THUMB and INDIAN GIRL the only two Stones songs with marimbas?

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: May 10, 2011 07:48

davido
The debate over the Emotional Rescue album
is right up there with the Woods /Taylor
debate -I doubt it will ever be resolved.
You love or hate it. Overtime it's
definately grown on me, some good funk,
some good hard rockin' bluez, some disco,
a few oddities like Indian Girl, which
further help make it different in it's
own way, rather an anomoly.

Let me guess, those who hate it also
don't like Black and Blue................?

I don't love it or hate it. I think it has its moments. Better than everything that came after, with the exception of Tattoo You. You're right about Black and Blue though. never warmed to that one.

Posted by: tomk ()
Date: May 10, 2011 09:04

Title5Take1
davido

The marimba styled Indian Girl

Are UNDER MY THUMB and INDIAN GIRL the only two Stones songs with marimbas?

Out of Time has marimbas, as does Ride On Baby.

Posted by: tomk ()
Date: May 10, 2011 09:20

I remember Robert Hilburn, LA Times music critic and Springsteen waterboy,
being SO excited about Indian Girl (before it was released). He was waiting for some grand political message and had to tell his readers, "It's got a song called Indian Girl!"

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1078
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home