Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

"Gimme Shelter"--Wembley 9/9/73
Posted by: bassplayer617 ()
Date: February 11, 2005 23:32

Got this from WinMX to add to my Brussels Affair playlist. I've tried to come up with a single word to describe this particular performance, and the one that springs to mind is "apocalyptic". When Bill starts his circular bass pattern, it sounds like a whirlwind that is about to engulf all of us, and then Mick doesn't sing, he shouts the lyrics to be heard above the din of the four pounding horsemen.

Many people regard this performance as the single greatest live performance the Stones ever did, and while this is arguable, I'd certainly rate it in the top five.

I apologize for bringing this up for the umpteenth time, but this one song is required listening for every Stones fan, and it serves well to convince those who are lukewarm about the band that no one else could top them on stage when they were at their best. Here it is--5:41 of proof that the Stones are indeed Rock Gods.

Re: "Gimme Shelter"--Wembley 9/9/73
Posted by: Edward Twining ()
Date: February 12, 2005 08:01

The version on It's Getting Hot Up Here is my favourite. It's credited as Perth but it's actually Sydney 73. I actually prefer the bootlegs from the Australian tour to the european tour later that same year.
I wish the song had some of the raw energy these days. Lisa Fischer may sing her part well but there is something distinctly missing these days.

Posted by: Esky ()
Date: February 12, 2005 13:16

bassplayer - no problem with me....definately a great performance. I wonder what Jagger thought after this song - like would he have said to himself "@#$%& that was great"...or was that just expected ?? I'd love to ask Jagger what show he finished and said to himself "that was the best show we've ever done..."

Agreed GS these days it does lack the "apocalyptic" feel - the guitars are very low in the mixes these days...!

Esky

I respect women who can suck golf balls through a garden hose....

Posted by: davido ()
Date: February 12, 2005 20:32

The Perth Gimme Shelter has always been
my personal favourite, but i'll certainly
give Wembley another listen. I like Lisas
soaring vocal gymnastics on the more recent
versions, even tho otherwise the earlier
ones were best.

Date: February 12, 2005 22:47

I'd say that this Wembley '73 GS version is my favorite of anything LIVE the Stones have ever done. What a shame that tour never saw an official Live release. Hearing them then and during the 1975 tour, just two years later, is like listening to two very different bands. It's like MT took something more away from them when he left.I don't even think Ron's arrival had much to do with it. The differences went beyond mere guitar playing.

Posted by: Edward Twining ()
Date: February 12, 2005 23:19

The Stones really did lose something on the 75 and 76 tours.They never matched the 72/73 tours. I don't know if they lost their focus but the concerts although at times good leave a bad taste.
Gimmie Shelter was definitely a highlight of the 72/73 tour and the standard of performance at this point would never be matched.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1638
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home