Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 2 of 4
Re: O/T: DYLAN - 'Shot of Love' & the Religious Trilogy
Posted by: Come On ()
Date: April 2, 2013 21:21

Erik_Snow
Come On
The stunning thing was that the man were absolutley into this with singing religous songs for real...I visited one on his shows in Stockholm July -81 and it was certainly almost praying time all the way....the year after Van the man came with the same thing to the Town...I left the Concert....

<<praying all the way>> .....Think your memory fails you; about a third of the setlist was taken from Slow Train or Saved. Rest was "Dylan hits" from Blonde on Blonde, HW61, etc
Great concert in Stockholm 1981, btw, I just recived it on CD; previously had it as a download. Starts of slow, but gets terrific after a while. Oslo and Copenhagen also got great shows that year

Great! and I'm looking right now at a origin Picture taken from that show....a good friend took it...I may remember wrong and nowadays I Think these shows from that era is very intressting...

2 1 2 0

Posted by: GRNRBITW ()
Date: April 2, 2013 21:24

Erik_Snow
GRNRBITW
Erik_Snow
Where did you see him in 1980, SBRNRBITW ?

in portland at the paramount on the first leg....and back there again plus at the salem armory for the second round...great shows, all. never seen bob as impassioned as a singer/performer....

I'd imagine....only 1966 Bob had more tension. US Tour 1986 must have been a....eh, minor letdown, in comparision
I've listened a lot to the Portland concerts, especially the Dec ones.

fabulous recordings...the seattle one too. yeah, 1986 was really a big comedown in so many ways. petty and company were fine, but it was like a stock, house band with rote renditions of the dylan songs. and bob was mailing it in.

first dylan show was portland '78...still have vivid memories of that one. very under-appreciated tour....

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: April 2, 2013 21:40

GRNRBITW
Erik_Snow
GRNRBITW
Erik_Snow

in portland at the paramount on the first leg....and back there again plus at the salem armory for the second round...great shows, all. never seen bob as impassioned as a singer/performer....

I'd imagine....only 1966 Bob had more tension. US Tour 1986 must have been a....eh, minor letdown, in comparision

fabulous recordings...the seattle one too. yeah, 1986 was really a big comedown in so many ways. petty and company were fine, but it was like a stock, house band with rote renditions of the dylan songs. and bob was mailing it in.

first dylan show was portland '78...still have vivid memories of that one. very under-appreciated tour....

Never knew you saw him in 1978... European tour and American tour 1978; that's the tour that facinated me the most by any artist.... Can't recall how the Portland show sounded though, I mean, on recording. Gotta stick to the recordings; I just couldn't attend at the time

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2013-04-02 22:10 by Erik_Snow.

Date: April 2, 2013 22:22

Erik_Snow
GRNRBITW
Erik_Snow
GRNRBITW
Erik_Snow

Never knew you saw him in 1978... European tour and American tour 1978; that's the tour that facinated me the most by any artist.... Can't recall how the Portland show sounded though, I mean, on recording. Gotta stick to the recordings; I just couldn't attend at the time

didn't locate a portland '78 recording until just a few years ago. just average quality. but, as you know, there are some stellar recordings from europe/us legs. i've been expecting a bootleg series release from this tour - yeah, we got the budokan...and i like it, but the band hadn't really gotten things together until europe...

Posted by: GravityBoy ()
Date: April 2, 2013 23:02

I never listened to this album before.

This is good.

Posted by: Ross ()
Date: April 2, 2013 23:25

Love all 3 of these albums. The one that grew on me the most over the years is "Saved". Sure, it's a little myopic, but damn what a scortchin' gospel album!

Posted by: Munichhilton ()
Date: April 3, 2013 00:17

When He Returns is a great tune that I've reproduced many times...that must be on one of these...

Date: April 3, 2013 00:18

Munichhilton
When He Returns is a great tune that I've reproduced many times...that must be on one of these...

amazing song. when he did it live, it was sans piano...just bob and his electric guitar...very moving...

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: April 3, 2013 00:24

BOB DYLAN BY GREIL MARCUS -- WRITINGS 1986-2010

ROCKMAN

Posted by: shadooby ()
Date: April 3, 2013 00:32

Never fully understood Lord Protect My Child till I had one...Real Live with Mick T. was also great!

Date: April 3, 2013 00:41

Especially What Can I Do For You and Covenant Woman grew to be highlights of the 1980 shows; they were just amazing; while the studio versions are very flat in comparision. Almost like differnet songs.....well, at least a different artist playing them.

Date: April 3, 2013 00:55

Erik_Snow
Especially What Can I Do For You and Covenant Woman grew to be highlights of the 1980 shows; they were just amazing; while the studio versions are very flat in comparision. Almost like differnet songs.....well, at least a different artist playing them.

i will not tolerate any more Saved dissing on my board. you've been warned.

Posted by: Rev. Robert W. ()
Date: April 3, 2013 00:59

Always loved "Groom's Still Waiting At The Altar" (not on the album's first pressing) and "Heart of Mine," but it was only a couple of months ago that I picked up Shot of Love. "Trouble," "Property of Jesus," the title track, and the gorgeous "In The Summertime" are all superb...

On balance, I think it's the best album of the "Gospel Period." More than that, I'll take Shot of Love over the "comeback" Infidels any day.

Posted by: Ross ()
Date: April 3, 2013 01:11

I thought the "Lenny Bruce" song was a bit daft when I first heard it, until I read a theory that Lenny Bruce was a metaphor for John Lennon (clued by the "I rode with him in a taxi once" line referring to the famous taxi scene in "Eat The Document" ). I am not sure if that is true, but I liked the song a lot better from that perspective.

Of course now that he has released "Roll On, John" as a more blatant tribute, who knows?

Those who like Dylan but dismiss the Christian albums because of their subject matter are really missing out on some prime Bobness!

Date: April 3, 2013 01:17

GRNRBITW
Erik_Snow

Despite the comparision, I still like the studio versions - but I'll weigh my words more careful in the future; it's your board - I respect that, so...don't tell your henchman to ban me again

Date: April 3, 2013 01:40

Erik_Snow
GRNRBITW
Erik_Snow

Despite the comparision, I still like the studio versions - but I'll weigh my words more careful in the future; it's your board - I respect that, so...don't tell your henchman to ban me again

you have no idea how close you're coming to permanent dismissal. your impudence and insolence is being very closely monitored by my various monitors.

Posted by: TeaAtThree ()
Date: April 3, 2013 04:28

Ross
I thought the "Lenny Bruce" song was a bit daft when I first heard it, until I read a theory that Lenny Bruce was a metaphor for John Lennon (clued by the "I rode with him in a taxi once" line referring to the famous taxi scene in "Eat The Document" ). I am not sure if that is true, but I liked the song a lot better from that perspective.

Of course now that he has released "Roll On, John" as a more blatant tribute, who knows?

Those who like Dylan but dismiss the Christian albums because of their subject matter are really missing out on some prime Bobness!

Ross says it all in that last line. To TRULY love Bob is to respect it all. Personally, I never listen to the early folk records; they bore me to tears, but I respect them; he was the man and built his legend starting there.

Bob, like all long-lasting acts, has different eras, and you float in and out of them. On the Christian records he sounds committed to the songs, and that's what makes Saved or Shot of Love 100 times better than Under the Red Sky, for example. If you don't like the subject, just groove and ignore the lyrics!

T@3

Posted by: Glam Descendant ()
Date: April 3, 2013 07:17

Come On
The stunning thing was that the man were absolutley into this with singing religous songs for real...I visited one on his shows in Stockholm July -81 and it was certainly almost praying time all the way....the year after Van the man came with the same thing to the Town...I left the Concert....

Your post didn't jibe with what I'd read about that tour so I found the setlist ... and your memory does not seem to have served you well. Looks like a mighty fine setlist in which he doesn't appear to have done more than 2 gospel songs in a row (I admit I do not know "Till I Get It Right" or "Let's Begin" ).

1.She Belongs to Me
2.The Times They Are A-Changin'
3.Gotta Serve Somebody
4.I Believe in You
5.Like a Rolling Stone
6.Till I Get It Right
7.Man Gave Names to All the Animals
8.Maggie's Farm
9.Simple Twist of Fate
10.Dead Man, Dead Man
11.Girl from the North Country
12.Ballad of a Thin Man
13.Slow Train
14.Let's Begin
15.All Along the Watchtower
16.Lenny Bruce
17.What Can I Do for You?
18.Solid Rock
19.Mr. Tambourine Man
20.Just Like a Woman
21.Watered Down Love
22.When You Gonna Wake Up?
23.In the Garden
24.Blowin' in the Wind
25.It's All Over Now, Baby Blue
26.Knockin' on Heaven's Door

[www.setlist.fm]

Date: April 3, 2013 08:50

Glam Descendant
I admit I do not know "Till I Get It Right" or "Let's Begin"

Bob's not on vocals on Till I Get It Right, it's one of the female singers.
Let's Begin is a fine duet between Bob and Carolyn Dennis

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-04-03 11:25 by Erik_Snow.

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: April 3, 2013 10:16

TeaAtThree
Ross

Ross says it all in that last line. To TRULY love Bob is to respect it all. Personally, I never listen to the early folk records; they bore me to tears, but I respect them; he was the man and built his legend starting there.

Bob, like all long-lasting acts, has different eras, and you float in and out of them. On the Christian records he sounds committed to the songs, and that's what makes Saved or Shot of Love 100 times better than Under the Red Sky, for example. If you don't like the subject, just groove and ignore the lyrics!

T@3

Well said, Dylan is the "Picasso of the song" indeed, and to my ears his whole career starts to be a masterpiece of its own. It is fascinating to "study" different eras and phases by their own - almost like a different artist in each one. But still all they make almost coherent story of an artistic mind finding different ways of expression.

I also dismissed the early folk phase for long time, but at the moment I am really fond of that era. It is amazing to listen this kid in his early twenties to come up such original, eternal music to touch the nerve of the times. That alone would make him one of the most important song-writers of 20th Century.

The New-Born or Christian period is also a fascinating period. I am sure it was a tough one for his old fans at the time, but now in retrospect it is to "easier" to dig, since it is safely gone... it even looks like a natural part in the story. I need to say that i haven't listened the phase very much lately, but I guess this thread might inspire me to do that now.

SLOW TRAIN COMING has always been one of my favourite Dylan albums, and I think it easily is the best of the three. It is so coherent in sounds, songs, attitude, message... after the tired-sounding - but still brilliant in places - STREET LEGAL Dylan sounds so inspired and focused. You can hear in his voice. "I Believe In You" is among his best vocal performances ever, and the song is great as well. Over-all the standard of songs is rather high, and I even like the "Dire Straits" sounds the album has.

SAVED and SHOT OF LOVE are more uneven. Perhaps the Christian kick in his butt couldn't carry him so high any longer, and he got into more "autopilot" mood. There are highlights - some brilliant songs - but not enough to make them any awesome or very memorable albums. (But I need to say that Dylan even in his "worst" is usually fascinating to listen). I also think that especially SAVED material is better live than in original album. Funnily, I never cared much for "In The Garden" until I saw the version with Tom Petty band (in HARD TO HANDLE). The structure of the song is among Dylan's best ever me thinks. Also the version of "Lenny Bruce" in that concert is a great one (never heard that Lennon-metaphor before - but sounds logical). "Every Grain of Sand" is a firm classic from that period.

And once again, some gems were left on the vaults. "Caribbean Wind" is a wonderful tune, and one of those Dylan tunes I keep on listening quite frequently.

All in all, for me the Christian period is an interesting and enjoyable period in Dylan saga: the muse is there, and we are blessed to hear the results. So for that, to quote Jagger, "Thank you Jesus, thank you Lord"...

- Doxa

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-04-03 10:27 by Doxa.

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: April 3, 2013 10:44

Glam Descendant
Come On

Your post didn't jibe with what I'd read about that tour so I found the setlist ... and your memory does not seem to have served you well. Looks like a mighty fine setlist in which he doesn't appear to have done more than 2 gospel songs in a row (I admit I do not know "Till I Get It Right" or "Let's Begin" ).

1.She Belongs to Me
2.The Times They Are A-Changin'
3.Gotta Serve Somebody
4.I Believe in You
5.Like a Rolling Stone
6.Till I Get It Right
7.Man Gave Names to All the Animals
8.Maggie's Farm
9.Simple Twist of Fate
10.Dead Man, Dead Man
11.Girl from the North Country
12.Ballad of a Thin Man
13.Slow Train
14.Let's Begin
15.All Along the Watchtower
16.Lenny Bruce
17.What Can I Do for You?
18.Solid Rock
19.Mr. Tambourine Man
20.Just Like a Woman
21.Watered Down Love
22.When You Gonna Wake Up?
23.In the Garden
24.Blowin' in the Wind
25.It's All Over Now, Baby Blue
26.Knockin' on Heaven's Door

[www.setlist.fm]

It's 9 gospel-numbers and he were as I remember really talking alot Before them numbers...nothíng wrong with that but I wasn't prepared for any Jesus-messages 1981...just Rock-concerts...

Brilliant set-list anyhow...Lenny Bruce!!!! WOW!...

2 1 2 0

Date: April 3, 2013 11:27

The problem of "subject matter" that seems to be a tough one for some Dylan fans to enjoy the Christian period, caused some random thoughts to occur to my head. This is nothing serious, but just fun, so enjoy with a beer or something... Let's call it "Poor man's Dylanology".grinning smiley

The traditional metaphysics or so called general ontology - you know the stuff the philosophers were doing back in the Middle Ages, and some wickos even afterwards - consisted of three disciplines according to the subject matter: cosmology, psychology, and theology - that is: world, a human being (self), and God. The artists traditionally reflect these three themes as well. Those are (loosely) the traditional muses in art.

If we look Saint Bobby's career, we can see these three themes occurring there as well. In his early folkie days to his electric period, the guy basically reflected what was going on in the world. He took his material even from the latest newspapers. The themes of social unjustice, war and things like that were his primal concern. Little by little these themes started to reflect more of his own life. The transition from public sphere to private realm, reflecting for example the most difficult relationship in the world, between two persons, a couple, was gradual, but DYlan's BLOOD ON THE TRACKS is a pure masterpiece in that genre, in that of going "inwards". The artist in STREET LEGAL sounded like giving anything he could in that section, and sounding almost cynical.

So, that's two themes of the traditional metaphysics - and a subject matter of artists of all time - covered. What was there left for a curious no-compromise artistic mind? Yep, God. So in way, besides finding a new Big Theme, that also meant for Dylan to going "onwards" again. He has something to say to world again - and perhaps stronger than ever, since earlier his art, even in the folkie days, more like a social commentary - and quite many of his colleagues back at the time were disappointed how little man of action he actually was. Now he was really preaching, literally.

Okay, it is no wonder that after the religious phase, Dylan was more or less lost, and without a muse. I mean - what is there left to do? especially the 80's were a rough time, and his career was without clear direction or focus or idea until TIME OUT OF MIND in 1997. Was it the fear of death or whatever what caused him to 'click' again, but from then on he started to get more focus in his doings again. Perhaps that is really that of getting old, or wisdom, which gives a perspective where one can actually view those three bIg themes in one perspective or together - and not running through each of them one by one with one track mind. The "modern" Dylan is really much looser and "cool-headed" than the old one, who was almost fanatic in his doings (art).

Okay, now laugh!>grinning smiley<

- Doxa

Posted by: duke richardson ()
Date: April 3, 2013 15:15

>> I mean - what is there left to do? especially the 80's were a rough time, and his career was without clear direction or focus or idea until TIME OUT OF MIND in 1997.<<

the 80's Dylan albums include 'Oh Mercy' and 'Infidels'. a couple of personal favorites of mine, just sayin'.

Dylan made some offhand records but Infidels and Oh Mercy have held up well in my opinion

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-04-03 15:17 by duke richardson.

Date: April 3, 2013 15:58

duke richardson
>> I mean - what is there left to do? especially the 80's were a rough time, and his career was without clear direction or focus or idea until TIME OUT OF MIND in 1997.<<

the 80's Dylan albums include 'Oh Mercy' and 'Infidels'. a couple of personal favorites of mine, just sayin'.

Dylan made some offhand records but Infidels and Oh Mercy have held up well in my opinion

Well, actually mine, too. I think INFIDELS includes the best individual songs he did during the decade (plus the one on the vaults), and OH MERCY is a cohorent, strong album, and I think one of his best ever. But I think over all the era from The Christian period to TIME OUT OF MY MIND is a bit confusing - despite the above-mentioned highlights - mostly consisting of uneven efforts. Some albums, such as KNOCKED OUT LOADED or DOWN IN THE GROOVE sound like having not a point at all. He sounded like trying different things, with different people, but somehow not so content with his doings. Even masterful OH MERCY somehow was just another new effort, which was a success, but he lost the momentum quite quickly, or couldn't handle it. I think the acoustic era he did during the 90's was a sort of healing process for him; after being so long lost, he was going back to the beginning, to find the old muse. And it worked (even though I don't think those two acoustic albums are very memorable).

But in a way TIME OUT OF MIND is a continuum of the Dylan we saw in in OH MERCY (then disappeared for a while). I think TELL TALE SIGNS - or how the bootleg series volume is called - tells rather well how the songs from both albums (and beyond) cohere to each other. I think that bootleg album adds an important part to the picture we have of Dylan during those years. Actually that's teh Dylan album i have most listened during the last years.

- Doxa

Posted by: bob r ()
Date: April 4, 2013 02:56

"SAVED" is not only one of my favorite Dylan albums, but one of my favorite albums of all time--

he stood his ground, and took the blows for CHRIST...............

AMEN

Date: April 4, 2013 18:12

bob r
"SAVED" is not only one of my favorite Dylan albums, but one of my favorite albums of all time--

he stood his ground, and took the blows for CHRIST...............

AMEN

and after three years of preaching, he quit...and he said the reason was that if three years of preaching was good enough for jesus, it was good enough for him.

Posted by: nashville ()
Date: April 4, 2013 19:14

One of my favourite Dylan periods. So much intensity in those live performances and a lot of friction with the audience in those 1979 shows which seemed to spur him on despite some of the boos and catcalls. Also like listening to his onstage "sermons" - has he ever spoken so much to an audience before or since.

Only one negative for me - "Man Gave Names To All The Animals" - just can't stand that song.

andy

Date: April 4, 2013 19:18

nashville
One of my favourite Dylan periods. So much intensity in those live performances and a lot of friction with the audience in those 1979 shows which seemed to spur him on despite some of the boos and catcalls. Also like listening to his onstage "sermons" - has he ever spoken so much to an audience before or since.

Only one negative for me - "Man Gave Names To All The Animals" - just can't stand that song.

andy

oh, c'mon...woody guthrie woulda loved that one...

a story i've told here before....

Dylan playing portland in january 1980...there's a guy outside the venue strumming and playing old dylan tunes and begging folks not to go inside and see the traitor....meanwhile, across town Arlo Guthrie is playing...a buddy went to the show and told me someone called out during the show - "hey with Bob playing in town, why do you think anybody came here to see you? " Arlo responds: "maybe to hear some old Dylan songs."

Posted by: ripthisjoint908 ()
Date: April 4, 2013 19:28

Slow Train Coming-Good
Saved-Alright
Shot of Love-Yuck

Posted by: stonesdan60 ()
Date: April 5, 2013 21:27

Actually, Bob's '81 Shot of Love Tour was my 1st Dylan concert and I really liked it. I had gotten into him around Blood On The Tracks at the tender age of 15. I also really like Slow Train and the other "Christian" albums. Even if you didn't share his beliefs, I liked that he was being true to himself as an artist, writing about what mattered to him at the time, knowing he would be widely trashed by fans and critics. At the time, Bob Marley expressed his admiration for Bob's new material and how Bob must have known he stood to alienate a large chunk of his fan base, "...but him still do it anyhow. Him still do it." I'm pretty sure I read that his '81 tour was the first tour since Slow Train where he began to incorporate some of his older non-religious songs.Some of my very favorite Dylan songs come from that period; Slow Train, I Believe in You, In the Garden, Property of Jesus, Every Grain of Sand, When You Gonna Wake Up, Saved, Change My Way of Thinking, and more...

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 2 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1950
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home