Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 2 of 4
Re: OT: ANY THOUGHTS ON SOCIAL MEDIA?
Posted by: latebloomer ()
Date: April 2, 2013 02:50

His Majesty
Tis what you make it and it's really not much different than forums etc.

Agree. I'm not on it much, but I have enjoyed being able to communicate with old friends quite easily through facebook. If you have children, I'd say it's almost essential in terms of understanding their culture and keeping tabs on them. I fought it for a while and then made the deal that if my kids wanted it, then they had to friend me. None of them use it very much.

Posted by: bv ()
Date: April 2, 2013 03:08

Everything you say and post on internet, also on social media, will stay there forever, as long as you live, and it may be used for marketing purposes. The more you tell about yourself to FB or other sites, the more specific marketing you will get, like it or not. Do only write and post open information you want to share with the world. There is no PPP i.e. privacy protection policy out there - or it is - a policy to use anything that may be commercially feasible...

Bjornulf

Date: April 2, 2013 03:15

bv
Everything you say and post on internet, also on social media, will stay there forever, as long as you live, and it may be used for marketing purposes. The more you tell about yourself to FB or other sites, the more specific marketing you will get, like it or not. Do only write and post open information you want to share with the world. There is no PPP i.e. privacy protection policy out there - or it is - a policy to use anything that may be commercially feasible...

Very true. If you use FB, you should set your privacy settings to the highest possible. It does afford some protection, or at the very least, stops you from getting a lot of the endless advertisements. Also, limit the number of apps, otherwise you'll end up with a flood of unwanted nonsense.

Social media in all it's forms is here to stay. In my opinion, if you are still in the working world, especially in any communications field, you at least need to understand how to navigate facebook and twitter. Using it or not is a personal preference.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: April 2, 2013 03:37

Wry Cooter
If you held a gun to my head I might join facebook but you still couldn't make me watch a movie about it.

Oh dear lord I wish I had written that. A very wry comment.

Posted by: DaveG ()
Date: April 2, 2013 04:49

I use FB and I believe it has some good and some bad.

But . . . I think that social media has given people the illusion that all of their thoughts, opinions, and details of everyday life have relevance, significance. If you keep it "lite", then I guess that you can keep in touch with friends, etc. But when someone posts, "I think I'll have another cup of coffee", my thought is "Who cares??". do we really need to know that? Do we really need to know where you're having lunch? The mundane, routine events of our lives now seem to matter, when, for the most part, they do not.

Posted by: GumbootCloggeroo ()
Date: April 2, 2013 05:33

If I hear a fire truck pass by my window at home here in Toronto I can check the Fire Department twitter account to see where it's heading, how many vehicles were dispatched, and the nature of the emergency. I love it. A good use of twitter, I say.

Posted by: stonesrule ()
Date: April 2, 2013 07:05

My publisher is urging me to do both...think I'll find a college student and pay them well to handle things once a week...just latebloomer's mention of advertisements etc. made me think, "oh no, not more stuff to wade through..."

Posted by: owlbynite ()
Date: April 2, 2013 07:15

Been invited to join friends on Facebook & Twitter...declined, too much court business going on...

Posted by: MKjan ()
Date: April 2, 2013 07:19

No need to hand your life over to the government and marketers.

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: April 2, 2013 08:03

Faceboook and twitter...? I haven't even got used to the mobile phone

Posted by: winter ()
Date: April 2, 2013 08:25

If you make creative content that's on the web (musician, author, photographer, vid, web designer, etc.) and you're justifiably annoyed with social media, the only one to work with is Google-plus. It gives you an author id that you can tag your creative works with, helps establish your gravitas in search engine ranking, and gives you free access to their web analytics tools for your website. You can edit what info the public sees. Just use it as your pro/hobbyist arts persona, and leave your non-arts life out of it.

I agree with the general sentiments on these pages; why bother w/ social media and its attendant marketing/personnel info exchange? But if you're a creative type or have a web-related business, and only feel like going with just one, try G+. That's the only one I use.

Posted by: winter ()
Date: April 2, 2013 08:27

Erik_Snow
Faceboook and twitter...? I haven't even got used to the mobile phone

I know, right?! I still have a landline even though I help people with 'modern-day' stuff like web design, haha.

Posted by: GravityBoy ()
Date: April 2, 2013 09:50

My thoughts:

Never post on Facebook when you are pished.

Date: April 2, 2013 14:11

Thanks for your posts Winter. Yes, I still consider my landline as a "must."
I see all these people squinting into their cell phones as they tour the internet and think of the eye problems they are going to have sooner or later. I use a mobile mainly when I travel. A "conversation" of any importance I like to have on a landline.

I don't want a tablet, smart phone etc. And when I read I want a book with pages that turn.

Date: April 2, 2013 14:27

GravityBoy
My thoughts:

Never post on IORR when you are pished.

Date: April 2, 2013 14:50

DandelionPowderman
GravityBoy
My thoughts:

Never post on IORR when you are pished.

Nah.. that's entertainment.

Date: April 2, 2013 14:58

I'm pished... smileys with beer

Date: April 2, 2013 15:32

DandelionPowderman
I'm pished... smileys with beer

Reality is an illusion created by lack of pishment.

Posted by: skelly ()
Date: April 2, 2013 15:57

Looks like I'm an unusual commodity around here as I use both Facebook and Twitter (and Instagram) and love them all. My life is empty without them. lol. confused smiley

Seriously, Facebook is great for keeping in touch with folk that I wouldn't easily pick up the phone and say Hi to. (that's a poor reflection on me I suppose) and Twitter I use more for fun, random stuff and celebrity stalking!

I think I've bust a button on my trousers....

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: April 2, 2013 16:01

stonesrule
Most of my friends are on Facebook and Twitter.
What are your thoughts on the pros and cons of both?

Wanna become jailbait for the NSA and Google?

Date: April 2, 2013 16:04

stonesrule
My publisher is urging me to do both...think I'll find a college student and pay them well to handle things once a week...just latebloomer's mention of advertisements etc. made me think, "oh no, not more stuff to wade through..."

Stonesrule, your publisher is right, I have a few friends who are writers that use FB. I would never have known they had published anything without seeing it on FB. Neither of them use it for much else, so when they post something I know it's because they have a new book or, in the case of my travel writer friend, some cool pictures he's taken on the road.
As for the ads, it's like old fashioned junk mail that you toss in the trash, but in this case you ignore it or go to privacy settings and click block for whatever you don't want.
Is it a time waster? Sure, but in the same way this place can be or watching television...but then I was never going to get those pictures in the basement hung up anyhow. Anyone who know me knows that I am not the domestic type, my kids learned to cook early out of self preservation. smiling smiley

Posted by: GRNRBITW ()
Date: April 2, 2013 17:18

nightskyman
I'm on both, but I don't use Facebook
much. It's amusing and touching at times to see things shared by some of my family and friends on Facebook, otherwise I don't find it a big deal.

Twitter is much more intriquing to me, has more potential IMO.
Also great for links, news updates, blogs, etc.

again, I ask: what problems are being solved by these technologies?

Date: April 2, 2013 17:37

GRNRBITW
nightskyman
I'm on both, but I don't use Facebook
much. It's amusing and touching at times to see things shared by some of my family and friends on Facebook, otherwise I don't find it a big deal.

Twitter is much more intriquing to me, has more potential IMO.
Also great for links, news updates, blogs, etc.

again, I ask: what problems are being solved by these technologies?

Algebra for one:

[www.facebook.com]

Posted by: bv ()
Date: April 2, 2013 17:54

Internet is simply a way of communicating. Just like talking or printing an article in a newspaper, or to lit a fire on top of a mountain, like they did in the stone age. Only difference is internet is faster, and people don't protect their private life the same way. Which means something that was private yesterday might be public tomorrow, like it or not. Personally I would never trust any private info to any social media. But some like to be in the public, others are very private, we are all different.

Bjornulf

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: April 2, 2013 17:59

bv
Internet is simply a way of communicating. Just like talking or printing an article in a newspaper, or to lit a fire on top of a mountain, like they did in the stone age. Only difference is internet is faster, and people don't protect their private life the same way. Which means something that was private yesterday might be public tomorrow, like it or not. Personally I would never trust any private info to any social media. But some like to be in the public, others are very private, we are all different.

The problem is that a lot of people still don't seem to appreciate the inherent overwhelmingly public nature of the internet or that it is forever. Especially true for Generation Z or whatever the heck they're called.

In the past you could make a 'mistake' and not have someone with their phone upload the video of it to youtube.

It means that kids have to mature a bit faster or have to potentially deal with their mistakes being public for the rest of their lives.

Posted by: GumbootCloggeroo ()
Date: April 2, 2013 18:12

Also, social media is ruining the ability for some people to communicate and interact face to face. Young people aren't fully developing interpersonal skills because of today's technology.

Date: April 2, 2013 18:15

treaclefingers
bv

The problem is that a lot of people still don't seem to appreciate the inherent overwhelmingly public nature of the internet or that it is forever. Especially true for Generation Z or whatever the heck they're called.

In the past you could make a 'mistake' and not have someone with their phone upload the video of it to youtube.

It means that kids have to mature a bit faster or have to potentially deal with their mistakes being public for the rest of their lives.

if i ever make a mistake, i will do it in the privacy of my own home....

Date: April 2, 2013 18:24

treaclefingers
bv

Well stupid is as stupid does...I know plenty of adults who are just as bad as the kids with social media. You do have to educate kids about the pitfalls of posting everything and continually hammer it home. But there are still going to be people of all ages who are really stupid about it.

Face to face conversation is becoming a lost art for some, but it's really about good manners. I cannot believe the number of people who pull out their phones at a restaurant, nice dinner party, you name it, and then feel free to text, surf the web, or take phone calls when in company. Many times it's adults, which makes it hard for kids to feel that it's wrong.

Date: April 2, 2013 18:26

latebloomer
treaclefingers
bv

Well stupid is as stupid does...I know plenty of adults who are just as bad as the kids with social media. You do have to educate kids about the pitfalls of posting everything and continually hammer it home. But there are still going to be people of all ages who are really stupid about it.

Face to face conversation is becoming a lost art for some, but it's really about good manners. I cannot believe the number of people who pull out their phones at a restaurant, nice dinner party, you name it, and then feel free to text, surf the web, or take phone calls when in company. Many times it's adults, which makes it hard for kids to feel that it's wrong.

adults these days...sigh.

Date: April 2, 2013 19:33

GUMBOOT, That is one profound statement!

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 2 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1195
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home