Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Got to be the best version of YCAGWYW
Posted by: pgarof ()
Date: April 1, 2013 19:14

This is a great performance by Mick Taylor and Trevor Lawrence on Sax as Bobby Keys had just been sacked.

Perhaps their best performance of this song!

Re: Got to be the best version of YCAGWYW
Posted by: GRNRBITW ()
Date: April 1, 2013 19:17

i'm partial to several '72 versions and some of the winter '73 perfs, too. i like trevor's work on it, but it was often tighter and more dramatic on these earlier renditions.

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: April 1, 2013 19:24

I like the raw and short R&R Cricus version the best. Keith's guitar playing is ace on that.

Date: April 1, 2013 19:27

His Majesty
I like the raw and short R&R Cricus version the best. Keith's guitar playing is ace on that.

mick does something slightly different with the melody on the chorus line on the circus version that i've always liked...

Posted by: jamesfdouglas ()
Date: April 1, 2013 19:31

The best version has ALWAYS been the studio version for me.

[thepowergoats.com]

Posted by: rollmops ()
Date: April 1, 2013 19:32

Yes. Amazing performance. Really good. That is a good example among plenty others of how The rolling Stones sound the nights they are the greatest rock and roll band in the world.
Rock and roll,
Mops

Posted by: pmk251 ()
Date: April 1, 2013 22:37

I am partial to this one, but why quibble? No sax solo. It's all Taylor taking you on a musical journey to Jagger's approval. As Jagger said...Taylor gave him something to bang off of (or some such words). You can get that from this performance. Thanks to Kleermaker for this post.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-04-01 22:44 by pmk251.

Posted by: mikeeder ()
Date: April 2, 2013 09:02

Circus is best for me. They did it too slow otherwise.

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: April 2, 2013 09:22

I also prefer the live versions with no sax solo. But the ultimate for me is the studio version. Beautifully decadent end to the 60s.

Date: April 2, 2013 09:35

His Majesty

thumbs up Just like it should be, imo.

Posted by: shadooby ()
Date: April 2, 2013 23:56

They're all good but the version from Let's Spend The Night Together movie with Ronnie's smokin' solo gets overlooked.

Ronnie's also smokin' on Love You Live.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-04-04 01:57 by shadooby.

Posted by: Munichhilton ()
Date: April 3, 2013 00:06

1975 and 1981 were both good years for this song...damn near 15 minutes on LA Friday...

Date: April 3, 2013 00:10

Munichhilton
1975 and 1981 were both good years for this song...damn near 15 minutes on LA Friday...

something bad happened to the rhythm of the song after 1973 - and I'm trying to blame Ronnie for that, but I can't....

Date: April 3, 2013 00:11

GRNRBITW
Munichhilton

something bad happened to the rhythm of the song after 1973 - and I'm trying to blame Ronnie for that, but I can't....

It's best to blame Ollie Brown for such things...less inflammatory...

Date: April 3, 2013 00:15

Munichhilton
GRNRBITW
Munichhilton

or the nixon administration, maybe?

Date: April 3, 2013 00:20

GRNRBITW
Munichhilton
GRNRBITW
Munichhilton

If you can't blame yer Ronnie, blame yer Richard...

Date: April 3, 2013 00:22

Munichhilton
GRNRBITW
Munichhilton
GRNRBITW
Munichhilton

If you can't blame yer Ronnie, blame yer Richard...

well, specifically I was gonna pin the blame on Spiro Agnew, not Nixon himself.

Posted by: ozziestone ()
Date: April 3, 2013 00:42

I remember listening to the Love You Live version and the crowd started singing along in the chorus. I reckon this was a turning point not only for the live version of this song but the Stones live as a whole. The thrill had gone-at least compared to the 69-73 live period. I hasten to point out that my view has nothing to do with Taylor v Wood etc. Or Spiro Agnew. Just the whole feel of the live show changed.

Date: April 3, 2013 00:46

Crowds got considerably larger...that changed some intimacy dynamics...

Date: April 3, 2013 00:52

ozziestone
I remember listening to the Love You Live version and the crowd started singing along in the chorus. I reckon this was a turning point not only for the live version of this song but the Stones live as a whole. The thrill had gone-at least compared to the 69-73 live period. I hasten to point out that my view has nothing to do with Taylor v Wood etc. Or Spiro Agnew. Just the whole feel of the live show changed.

had Spiro been nicer to nattering nabobs of negativism none of this might have happened...

Posted by: Captainchaos ()
Date: April 3, 2013 02:10

pmk251
I am partial to this one, but why quibble? No sax solo. It's all Taylor taking you on a musical journey to Jagger's approval. As Jagger said...Taylor gave him something to bang off of (or some such words). You can get that from this performance. Thanks to Kleermaker for this post.

amazing quality - whats this from? would love a copy of this!!

Posted by: ryanpow ()
Date: April 3, 2013 03:53

GRNRBITW
Munichhilton

I think it got too slow in 75, but they made it nice and funky again in '81.

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: April 3, 2013 04:34

pmk251

Amazing! I especially love the little riff he plays from about 7:15 to 7:35 to ease back into the verse.

If this is "noodling", I'll order up a big, steaming bowl of these noodles.

Posted by: gripweed ()
Date: April 3, 2013 06:34

pgarof
This is a great performance by Mick Taylor and Trevor Lawrence on Sax as Bobby Keys had just been sacked.

This seems to be the Brussells Affair version, the "Other" Show that day... I'm glad the Stones finally released this last year... I WONDER if the Video will ever see the light of day???

Taylor's whole presense on these recording is impecable, almost "God Like" - Those Stones would never achieve this level again Live

Date: April 3, 2013 07:57

Captainchaos
pmk251

This is SilverDagger's (do I have that right?) gem of an audience recording from the 9/8/73, 1st show from Wembley. If you can't find it...let me know. Taylor has some notes in there that just shimmer. Probably Taylor's longest solo with the band.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2013-04-03 08:01 by pmk251.

Date: April 3, 2013 10:13

gripweed
pgarof

This seems to be the Brussells Affair version, the "Other" Show that day... I'm glad the Stones finally released this last year... I WONDER if the Video will ever see the light of day???

Taylor's whole presense on these recording is impecable, almost "God Like" - Those Stones would never achieve this level again Live

You don't find his performance on the other show even better?

Date: April 3, 2013 15:07

pmk251
Captainchaos
pmk251

This is SilverDagger's (do I have that right?) gem of an audience recording from the 9/8/73, 1st show from Wembley. If you can't find it...let me know. Taylor has some notes in there that just shimmer. Probably Taylor's longest solo with the band.

if there is anyway at all i can get hold of this id be opver the moon!!
does anyone know the title & details so i can find me a copy?

cheers!!

Posted by: gripweed ()
Date: April 3, 2013 17:13

DandelionPowderman
gripweed
pgarof

You don't find his performance on the other show even better?

Not better, slightly different though... that's the Beauty of Taylor... always trying to improve on something he'd already perfected... he comes out mixed a little LOWER on the released version IMHO... but his solo on YCAGWYW played on this video is better than the one we'd heard for all those years, so is Trevor's Sax solo

Date: April 3, 2013 17:35

Contact me.

Date: April 4, 2013 02:05

pmk251

Contact me.

Yippee!!!! done

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1703
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home