Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 2 of 5
Re: could it be that they really just love to play together?
Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: April 1, 2013 04:19

slew
I beleive that once they are on the stage they enjoy it. Why dod they do so little from 2007-2012?? Probably because of the following:
1) After the tour of 2005-07 they were tired and needed a break.
2) Keith and Ronnie needed to dry out.
3) Patti's health.
4) Old age
5) Keith's head neede to heal
6) Life created hard feelings

I'm sure that is some of it but who really knows???

7) Keith's Life memoir and the resulting "todgergate".

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: April 1, 2013 04:28

If they just love playing with each other they certainly hide it. They couldn't even be bothered to be in one place at the same time for their contribution to the Ian Stewart tribute album. Keith lives halfway across the world from the others because he can't stand not jamming with them for years and years and years. Mick barely looks at the other musicians up there with him on the stage now. He looks more involved when he's playing with others, be it U2, or at the White House or on SNL.

Charlie and Ronnie probably need the money; Charlie for his horses and civil war memorabilia, and Ronnie for his wives, past and present. This seems more of a marriage of convenience. And so what if it is? At this stage they're probably trying to mop up as much cash as they can before they simply can't physically cut it. Good luck. You've earned it. Go soak those suckers that will pay to hear those warhorses one more time.

Posted by: duke richardson ()
Date: April 1, 2013 04:37

after the recent tours I really don't think any of the Stones need money.

and Bill, he's got a lot of revenue from other sources..books, restaurants, even a bass guitar he was plugging during his brief appearances with the Stones..

plugging..

Posted by: blivet ()
Date: April 1, 2013 04:50

duke richardson
and Bill, he's got a lot of revenue from other sources..books, restaurants, even a bass guitar he was plugging during his brief appearances with the Stones..

That's probably more what he meant by "working" than touring with his band, which he says in the same interview doesn't make all that much money.

Date: April 1, 2013 05:09

blivet
duke richardson

That's probably more what he meant by "working" than touring with his band, which he says in the same interview doesn't make all that much money.

But working nonetheless, as the royalty checks for In Another Land and (Si Si) Je Suis un Rock Star won't be enough to pay the bills regardless of whether you're Bill Wyman or Bill Perks.

Posted by: blivet ()
Date: April 1, 2013 05:14

24FPS
Mick barely looks at the other musicians up there with him on the stage now. He looks more involved when he's playing with others, be it U2, or at the White House or on SNL.

I really get the feeling that he's decided that since he can't seem to make a go of it as a solo act he's going to do his damnedest to turn the Stones into his backing band. "Where's my drummer?" and all that. I can't say that I blame him. He's had to do most of the work for a long time now.

Posted by: stonesrule ()
Date: April 1, 2013 06:33

Guys, give me a break. Stop reading the minds of people you don't know.

Duke is right.

The Stones DON'T have to work to pay the rent. They're proud of what they do and they like turning on a concert audience.

Date: April 1, 2013 06:56

duke richardson
after the recent tours I really don't think any of the Stones need money.

plugging..

Really needing money is a far cry from maintaining the lifestyles they've all become accustomed to. Plus, just knowing it's out there for them to take is probably quite seductive. The big paydays are dwindling. Multi-night stands in American football stadiums are not a reality in this economic climate. The opportunity to rake in millions is now, with the upcoming future quite clouded by advancing age.

You and I could probably live quite comfortably from the money Bill gets from his restaurants alone. (There's 2, right?) But Bill is a public figure who must keep up appearances. Maybe he hoped a closer association with his former band would be lucrative and that they would offer to bring him back in. Now they probably don't want him, for various reasons. (None of which have to do with his musical talent, and his particular one for playing bass for this particular band).

Date: April 1, 2013 08:24

stonesrule
Stop reading the minds of people you don't know.

But how else am I to enjoy my cherished hobby of blogging my psychic projections?

Besides, reading the minds of people I know and who are nearby can get boring, because there's no challenge involved.

But if I don't know you, I can project myself into your foyer, and be readin' 'ur mindz.

"The human brain is made up of more than 80 billion neurones, housed in specific sections and subsections."

Through my internship on IORR, I am studying for my doctorate in mind reading from MRU.

Though with your exclusive insider status, I'm sure you hold several cards that, for the moment, I cannot see.

However, with time and practice I shall hone and perfect my psychic skills, and I am certain that, one day, you will be convinced of the supremacy of my vast psychic powers....

....as I project my thoughts upward and outward....

....from my world unto Stones world....

Posted by: stonesrule ()
Date: April 1, 2013 09:07

How much will you be charging for psychic readings OR will you do them free for all who post on IORR?

Date: April 1, 2013 10:02

stonesrule
How much will you be charging for psychic readings OR will you do them free for all who post on IORR?

An internship is an unpaid assignment--the simple pleasure of having entertained you enough to respond to my posts will be reward enough for me.smoking smiley

An image is forming.... I see a Stone alone on a stage at Glastonbury.... I see old gods almost dead at Glastonbury on the following night.... I see neither honoring the performances of one another with a guest appearance.... I see a Stone alone airbrushed from the rich prosperity of the old gods forevermore.... I see a Stone alone working and never retiring.... this image is now clear....

Date: April 1, 2013 10:33

24FPS
If they just love playing with each other they certainly hide it. They couldn't even be bothered to be in one place at the same time for their contribution to the Ian Stewart tribute album. Keith lives halfway across the world from the others because he can't stand not jamming with them for years and years and years. Mick barely looks at the other musicians up there with him on the stage now. He looks more involved when he's playing with others, be it U2, or at the White House or on SNL.

Charlie and Ronnie probably need the money; Charlie for his horses and civil war memorabilia, and Ronnie for his wives, past and present. This seems more of a marriage of convenience. And so what if it is? At this stage they're probably trying to mop up as much cash as they can before they simply can't physically cut it. Good luck. You've earned it. Go soak those suckers that will pay to hear those warhorses one more time.

Too bad you didn´t catch the shows last year. If you did, you wouldn´t make this post grinning smiley

Posted by: paulywaul ()
Date: April 1, 2013 11:02

duke richardson
so much commentary, blah blah, about the mercenary streak the Stones have shown.

(they've never not wanted to make a lot of money)...

but could it be that the main reason they're going out again is they really do like playing together?

It might not be the main reason per se, but I think that when all other considerations are put aside, they probably do still like playing together. They must get one hell of a buzz when they do, and when they sense that the old magic is back, even more so when that sensation strikes them in front of an audience of however many. Addictive - I should well imagine.

I don't think you need to be a clairvoyant however, to figure out that they probably did ultimately end up feeling obliged in some way to do "something or other" in recognition of their 50th, but that without a fair bit of pressure from fans and the general media, complacency would in all probability have gotten the better of them and they wouldn't have done anything at all. Both Mick and Keith in their own ways have stated as much in various interviews they gave in the kind of build up to the November/December 2012 shows. The whole build up to the 5 end of year shows, and the 2 "new" songs struck me as being the work of people who weren't particularly motivated or supremely interested, but the work of those merely fulfilling a public expectancy .... sorry to say. But the thing about them though is that ultimately, when they DO step out, they DO generally deliver the goods. I thought those 5 shows were fantastic.

So the way I see it is that yes they do still enjoy playing together, but a great big pay cheque helps, helps A LOT !!

[ I want to shout, but I can hardly speak ]

Posted by: GRNRBITW ()
Date: April 1, 2013 14:34

Max'sKansasCity
GRNRBITW
Max'sKansasCity
duke richardson
so much commentary, blah blah, about the mercenary streak the Stones have shown.

but could it be that the main reason they're going out again is they really do like playing together?

Yes.

it could be...but it's not.

Yes it is.

you could not be more wrong if your ass was screwed on backwards....

Posted by: Max'sKansasCity ()
Date: April 1, 2013 14:45

GRNRBITW
Max'sKansasCity
GRNRBITW
Max'sKansasCity
duke richardson

Yes.

it could be...but it's not.

Yes it is.

you could not be more wrong if your ass was screwed on backwards....

Your ass screws on?
and it is possible that it can be screwed on backwards?

Date: April 1, 2013 14:50

duke richardson

Yes, it is that simple, but that probably wont stop people from posting lengthy diatribes debating it all ad nauseum.

Date: April 1, 2013 15:04

DandelionPowderman
24FPS

Too bad you didn´t catch the shows last year. If you did, you wouldn´t make this post grinning smiley

I sat and watched the December Pay Per View on a 65" HDTV with surround sound and a group of friends. Jagger was amazing. Ronnie was on fire when challenged. Keith could barely get out the starting riffs to songs before he retreated to the background, moving less than Wyman in the 70s. Charlie was good. The bass player could have been any competent plunker. What I saw was a band struggling to be what it had been, with varying results. They could have used a canny bass player to pull all those rough edges together and envelop the sound. I think they used one on a couple numbers in London.

Date: April 1, 2013 15:22

>>Keith could barely get out the starting riffs to songs before he retreated to the background, moving less than Wyman in the 70s. Charlie was good. The bass player could have been any competent plunker.<<

watched this too, several times. I did notice Keith seemed to be concentrating on his playing, not going around striking poses..he went for one stroll up front but otherwise had a lot of focus, and I think it showed in his playing

guess you don't care much for Darryl..

but here's a guy who's a lot more than competent, plus he's got 20 years playing with them now..

Posted by: latebloomer ()
Date: April 1, 2013 15:37

Of course they love playing together and of course they love the money. But, at their ages, the money wouldn't be enough incentive if they didn't enjoy being a band together and performing in front of an audience.

For the Stones, probably the hardest part is getting started, knowing they have to do the hard work of practicing. It's like exercise, most people don't like taking the time out of their day to do it and often dread getting started, but once your into it, it feels great and you get tremendous satisfaction in having done it.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: April 1, 2013 15:50

This is an April Fool's prank right?

Date: April 1, 2013 15:56

no its very serious..

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: April 1, 2013 15:57

duke richardson
no its very serious..

fooled ya, I knew it was dead serious.

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: April 1, 2013 15:58

stonesrule
Stop reading the minds of people you don't know.

You do it too.

Date: April 1, 2013 16:54

latebloomer
Of course they love playing together and of course they love the money. But, at their ages, the money wouldn't be enough incentive if they didn't enjoy being a band together and performing in front of an audience.

For the Stones, probably the hardest part is getting started, knowing they have to do the hard work of practicing. It's like exercise, most people don't like taking the time out of their day to do it and often dread getting started, but once your into it, it feels great and you get tremendous satisfaction in having done it.

yeah yeah yeah.

it's the money, honey....

Date: April 1, 2013 16:57

and the fun. i think they like to whistle while they work.

Date: April 1, 2013 16:57

GRNRBITW
latebloomer

yeah yeah yeah.

Now you are just quoting song lyrics, stay on topic.

Date: April 1, 2013 16:59

duke richardson
and the fun. i think they like to whistle while they count the money.

don't we all?

Date: April 1, 2013 17:02

Max'sKansasCity
GRNRBITW
latebloomer

yeah yeah yeah.

that's pretty much what i do...and it can be annoying.

Date: April 1, 2013 17:04

GRNRBITW
Max'sKansasCity
GRNRBITW
latebloomer

yeah yeah yeah.

that's pretty much what i do...and it can be annoying.

Like that one guy said.... avoid the noid.... or something like that.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-04-01 17:06 by Max'sKansasCity.

Posted by: latebloomer ()
Date: April 1, 2013 17:08

GRNRBITW
latebloomer

yeah yeah yeah.

Dismissive endearments are easy to use when you've run out of arguments. It's more than the money and you know it, you're just too cynical to admit it, darling. grinning smiley

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 2 of 5

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1740
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home