Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234
Current Page: 4 of 4
Re: Seems to me here that Bill might of been willing to join the band again.
Posted by: angee ()
Date: April 2, 2013 02:11

Redhotcarpet
Bill is whining? I think he must be one of the most diplomatic rock stars in history. If anything he has integrity. And dont start with the Mandy Smith story, yes he was handed women and teen girls on a plate for decades, just as the rest of the band. Except Charlie.

I like your first two sentences very much.

OTOH, perhaps Bill took the "All You Can Eat" sign at the buffet a bit too literally. cool smiley

~"Love is Strong"~

Posted by: blivet ()
Date: April 2, 2013 02:17

His Majesty
blivet
It was Brian and Stu's band; they recruited Mick and Keith. But if the name is the important thing, the band you are talking about -- the one with Dick Taylor and Tony Chapman -- was called The Rollin' Stones. Bill and Charlie are founder members of The Rolling Stones.

The g is there on the articile and poster for their debut at The Marquee, but it's not important. A band was formed and a name was chosen for that band to perform under and they gigged for 6 months or so before Bill or Charlie joined.

I defer to your superior knowledge.

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: April 2, 2013 02:20

blivet
His Majesty
blivet
It was Brian and Stu's band; they recruited Mick and Keith. But if the name is the important thing, the band you are talking about -- the one with Dick Taylor and Tony Chapman -- was called The Rollin' Stones. Bill and Charlie are founder members of The Rolling Stones.

The g is there on the articile and poster for their debut at The Marquee, but it's not important. A band was formed and a name was chosen for that band to perform under and they gigged for 6 months or so before Bill or Charlie joined.

I defer to your superior knowledge.

I defer to the actual timeline of events. smiling smiley

Posted by: Ligger ()
Date: April 2, 2013 15:27

If I could sit down in a cafe for a conversation with one of the Stones, for an hour, it would be Bill, hands down. So, maybe he has a bit of an agenda about... So what. Bill was there from 1963 on. I didn't start loving them until April or May of 1964. A dill pickle and a Diet Pepsi.

Posted by: Grison ()
Date: April 2, 2013 15:38

You can read tealeaves or speculate on thousands of comments Bill Wyman made during the last 20 years. But you must regrettably admit that after Bill Wyman left the band did even more successful tours than anything before.

This has nothing to do becaus Bill Wyman left, but it is a fact that only with Voodoo Lounge the real money making tour machine started.

So why not give him the glimpse of bitter-sweet feelings when he recaptures the last 20 years. By far he was also quite successful and it is not that he lacks the quality of a bass player, but it is bitter to accept that the Stones did do very well with him but also very very well without him.

I also think that Bill Wyman was much more appreciated and recognized as a musician when he left the Stones then being with them and only the bass player with the biggest amplifier.

What I don't like now is his present public appearance and his utterly bitter replies that he was not allowed to play more than two songs with the Stones. If he wouldn't have liked it at first why not letting it go at all?. Or at least tell them that you would like to be mor involved. For the moment we have only the arguements of Bill Wyman, but not the other Stones members.
This was and is a behaviour like an elephant in the porcelane shop.

Posted by: GRNRBITW ()
Date: April 2, 2013 19:30

Grison

who cares about his behavior? what the hell is the elephant doing in the porcelain shop in the first place?

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: April 3, 2013 00:22

Grison
You can read tealeaves or speculate on thousands of comments Bill Wyman made during the last 20 years. But you must regrettably admit that after Bill Wyman left the band did even more successful tours than anything before.

This has nothing to do becaus Bill Wyman left, but it is a fact that only with Voodoo Lounge the real money making tour machine started.

So why not give him the glimpse of bitter-sweet feelings when he recaptures the last 20 years. By far he was also quite successful and it is not that he lacks the quality of a bass player, but it is bitter to accept that the Stones did do very well with him but also very very well without him.

I also think that Bill Wyman was much more appreciated and recognized as a musician when he left the Stones then being with them and only the bass player with the biggest amplifier.

What I don't like now is his present public appearance and his utterly bitter replies that he was not allowed to play more than two songs with the Stones. If he wouldn't have liked it at first why not letting it go at all?. Or at least tell them that you would like to be mor involved. For the moment we have only the arguements of Bill Wyman, but not the other Stones members.

Bill made money on the Steel Wheels/Urban Jungle skip around the globe. I think that's why he felt he could retire from the group. You're right, his non-presence didn't hurt them at the box office, but it has hurt their credibility on record. It's no coincidence that their best records of the past few years were gussied up bonus cuts, with one Bill Wyman on bass. And yeah, it took a while but people finally came around to realize how great he was. It didn't hurt that his replacement is so lackluster. Ronnie was a step down from Mick Taylor, but Jones isn't even in the ballpark of Bill Wyman.

Posted by: achilles77 ()
Date: April 3, 2013 02:56

Getting back on topic...

71Tele
The bass player of the Rolling Stones wanted to be more involved in the band again and the Stones passed? Sigh....

My thoughts exactly.

They have numerous opportunities to get it right this year, so let's hope they do.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-04-03 02:57 by achilles77.

Posted by: owlbynite ()
Date: April 8, 2013 11:27

blivet
owlbynite
stonehearted
I doubt that Bill was thinking of rejoining as a full-time Stone. It is more that Bill is now at a point in his life where he is willing to be a bit more generous in recalling a part of his life [30 years worth] that he has left behind. We read in another thread how Bill was only able just recently to open up emotionally about his years in The Stones in those unreleased hours of interviews with the director of Crossfire Hurricane.

I think Bill's disappointment over the reunion stems from the fact that he was hoping for a bit of thanks for those 30 years with the band, to be more warmly acknowledged by the band, rather than being treated as a passenger, a virtual session man for those O2 gigs, which seems to have been the case.

I guess for Bill it's time to wake up to the way the band does business...

I suppose you're right, but the shows were 50th anniversary celebrations, and according to Charlie, Bill was the one who pointed out they had an anniversary coming up. It wouldn't be out of line to expect a little more importance accorded a visit from a member of the original line-up -- one they never replaced, for that matter.

reminiscent of the way they treated Brian Jones years ago....still think the way The Who continually pays homage to the late Keith Moon is a good example for The Stones to observe. What ever happened to Bill's successful restaurant chain, anyway?

Posted by: Seb91 ()
Date: April 8, 2013 11:52

owlbynite
blivet
owlbynite
stonehearted
I doubt that Bill was thinking of rejoining as a full-time Stone. It is more that Bill is now at a point in his life where he is willing to be a bit more generous in recalling a part of his life [30 years worth] that he has left behind. We read in another thread how Bill was only able just recently to open up emotionally about his years in The Stones in those unreleased hours of interviews with the director of Crossfire Hurricane.

I think Bill's disappointment over the reunion stems from the fact that he was hoping for a bit of thanks for those 30 years with the band, to be more warmly acknowledged by the band, rather than being treated as a passenger, a virtual session man for those O2 gigs, which seems to have been the case.

I guess for Bill it's time to wake up to the way the band does business...

I suppose you're right, but the shows were 50th anniversary celebrations, and according to Charlie, Bill was the one who pointed out they had an anniversary coming up. It wouldn't be out of line to expect a little more importance accorded a visit from a member of the original line-up -- one they never replaced, for that matter.

reminiscent of the way they treated Brian Jones years ago....still think the way The Who continually pays homage to the late Keith Moon is a good example for The Stones to observe. What ever happened to Bill's successful restaurant chain, anyway?

The restaurant is still there in London, been there a few times.

Posted by: DoomandGloom ()
Date: April 8, 2013 16:11

"still think the way The Who continually pays homage to the late Keith Moon is a good example for The Stones to observe." Wow!!!! The Who, who toured days after founding member John Enthwistle died. That version of "Bellboy" with Keith they barely pull off is unmusical and a sappy insult to their audience. Perhaps The Stones should have a giant balloon of Brian playing sitar while playing a recording of the intro to Paint It Black.

Date: April 8, 2013 16:23

"And yeah, it took a while but people finally came around to realize how great he was. It didn't hurt that his replacement is so lackluster. Ronnie was a step down from Mick Taylor, but Jones isn't even in the ballpark of Bill Wyman." Agree you would not know by looking at him but Bill is a great player very few are in his league... Mac, Enthwistle, Jones.. these guys are the heart and soul of British rock. There would be less train wrecks and nonsense with Bill there, he plays with authority and is a master at telegraphing chord changes during solos, the band sounds different on his O 2 tracks. If they can't bury the hatchet now they never will,big mistake

Date: April 8, 2013 16:48

That is a good rendition, and Bill is indeed great! Haven't heard Keith, nor Mick as inspired on this one in years thumbs up

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: April 8, 2013 17:00

What a strange interaction between Mick & Bill. Bill physically recoils when Mick tries to put his arm around him. I've never figured out if Bill is shy, or if he's trying to concentrate on his instrument.

Date: April 8, 2013 17:01

DandelionPowderman
That is a good rendition, and Bill is indeed great! Haven't heard Keith, nor Mick as inspired on this one in years thumbs up
Mick is so concerned about image he may not like the way Bill looks these days. It's been mentioned he had reservations regarding Taylor's as well. Their apparent decision not to bring him back contradicts much of what they have done recently.

Date: April 8, 2013 17:06

DoomandGloom
DandelionPowderman
Mick is so concerned about image he may not like the way Bill looks these days. It's been mentioned he had reservations regarding Taylor's as well. Their apparent decision not to bring him back contradicts much of what they have done recently.

Well, he can't perform alone. He tried that in the 80s winking smiley

Posted by: achilles77 ()
Date: April 9, 2013 00:36

DoomandGloom

Wait a second...Who looks bad???? Bill?? I think not....

[www.iorr.org] (Scroll down a little bit)

Bill looks younger and healthier than all of them. If anything, Mick is concerned that Bill would make the rest of the band look worse, especially when considering the fact that Bill is much older than them.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-04-09 00:42 by achilles77.

Date: April 9, 2013 00:44

There is a group of Bill followers that makes some noise regarding the need of his comeback. Jagger surely is surprised and (a bit...) annoyed.

For some of us BillĀ“s sound has been instrumental.

Darryl may be light years from Bill from a technical point of view. But...Bill's sound is uncomparable, unrivalled. (for some fans ok..I concede).

Posted by: VT22 ()
Date: April 9, 2013 01:12

This sounds completely rotten and stale to me.
Nobody is in charge anymore

Posted by: owlbynite ()
Date: April 9, 2013 07:20

DoomandGloom
"still think the way The Who continually pays homage to the late Keith Moon is a good example for The Stones to observe." Wow!!!! The Who, who toured days after founding member John Enthwistle died. That version of "Bellboy" with Keith they barely pull off is unmusical and a sappy insult to their audience. Perhaps The Stones should have a giant balloon of Brian playing sitar while playing a recording of the intro to Paint It Black.

So you haven't seen any of their shows/documentaries on TV lately?

Goto Page: Previous1234
Current Page: 4 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1878
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home