Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 3 of 4
Re: Seems to me here that Bill might of been willing to join the band again.
Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: March 28, 2013 21:14

latebloomer
Munichhilton
latebloomer
Munichhilton
latebloomer
treaclefingers
mtaylor
Bill wanted to leave and left Stones in 1993.

He didn't like the touring thing, he didn't like travelling around (he doesn't at all like to fly on a plane), he didn't like the "staying in a hotel" life-style, he didn't like the music / touring developement etc.

Fair enough - he quit and he was replaced by Darryl.

Now, he wants to be back - travelling around, sitting in a hotel room, going from Europe to US and back in plane etc. - do we believ that or is it one more time the "Bill Wyman crying around" - him being the victim?

To me, Bill doesn't know what he wants in his life.

He probably thinks he can come back and tell the other ones how to do the things. Come on!!

I see that there is a combination of him being a bit wistful about his time in the band, as it really defined his life and as he approaches 80 (unbelievable) and understanding that the metal detector thing didn't make up for what he gave up in pay days since 1992.

He wants more respect from the others, but in reality no one ever really liked him other than perhaps Charlie.

He's understandably frustrated, but he's also his own worse enemy, as we all are.

So much philosophy here and it's not even noon. I like to stay in denial about my own faults Munichhilton, makes life a lot more fun. grinning smiley

Don't blame that Canadian philosophy crap on me...

Just having a bit of fun Munich, please don't take me seriously.smiling smiley

But now I'm curious, what do the Canadian's have to do with philosophy?

I know bloomy, its just rock n roll...I don't take any of it seriously. I was just pointing out that our friend to the North made the comment about our own faults and not I.

Oh, I see you're right, I lost track of the responses. It really is to early for me! Might have something to do with that bottle of wine last night...vacations can be brutal.

Kripey's you really are a latebloomer aren't you?!

Date: March 28, 2013 21:16

GRNRBITW
Munichhilton
mtaylor

He didn't like the touring thing, he didn't like travelling around (he doesn't at all like to fly on a plane), he didn't like the "staying in a hotel" life-style, he didn't like the music / touring developement etc.

Now, he wants to be back - travelling around, sitting in a hotel room, going from Europe to US and back in plane etc. - do we believ that or is it one more time the "Bill Wyman crying around" - him being the victim?

He probably thinks he can come back and tell the other ones how to do the things. Come on!!

Doesn't he just want his youth back?

hey! I have first dibs on his youth!

Reminds me of a Kolschak the Night Stalker DVD I watched last night...Aliens coming and sucking out people's bone marrow.

Ok, I admit it, it really doesn't remind me of that at all, I just wasn't sure the best way to position the fact that I watched an episode of the Night Stalker last night.

Loved that show.

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: March 28, 2013 22:25

treaclefingers
GRNRBITW
Munichhilton
mtaylor

Reminds me of a Kolschak the Night Stalker DVD I watched last night...Aliens coming and sucking out people's bone marrow.

Ok, I admit it, it really doesn't remind me of that at all, I just wasn't sure the best way to position the fact that I watched an episode of the Night Stalker last night.

Loved that show.

So, Treac, you sprang for the Amazon deal with your gift certificate. Actually, the getting his youth back comment reminds me of the episode with Cathy Lee Crosby, where she operates a dating service agency that robs applicants of their youth (Episode 19, The Youth Killer). All those episodes are great!

A pity the show was cancelled, because there were some interesting looking unproduced episodes that were in the works. From the wiki page on List of Kolchak: The Night Stalker episodes:

21 "Eve of Terror" N/A
A Doctor Jekyll/Mr. Hyde story involving a scientist who kills anyone in her project's way.
One of two scripts which had been through the second-draft stage of pre-production and assigned a production number, but not produced prior to the series cancellation short of its original order. Both of which were later produced as graphic comics by Moonstone Books.
22 "The Get of Belial" N/A
A faith healer suffers the murders by her monstrous son thanks to Belial's curse, in order to continue the work of God.
One of two scripts which had been through the second-draft stage of pre-production and assigned a production number, but not produced prior to the series cancellation short of its original order. Both of which were later produced as graphic comics by Moonstone Books.
N/A "The Executioners" N/A
The spirits of three executioners come to life and murder people, wherever their portrait painted with their cremated ashes is displayed.
A third script draft also not produced prior to the series cancellation short of its original order. Though in an early draft form at the time of cancellation and never assigned a production number, it is included here for completeness. This and the third unproduced telemovie have never been produced in any form (though the movie script is published by Gauntlet Press).

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-03-28 22:33 by stonehearted.

Posted by: blivet ()
Date: March 28, 2013 22:39

latebloomer
If Bill really wanted to play with his old band mates, then he should have taken what they offered and once in, he could have pushed for what he wanted. Instead, he whines to the press.

I think part of his disappointment was that it wasn't really "playing with his old bandmates". If I understand the reports correctly, Jagger was barely present at the rehearsal/jam Bill took part in, and there were no rehearsals to speak of before the shows Bill played with the Stones. It sounds pretty impersonal.

It kind of reminds me of that Wayne Perkins story about his audition someone posted recently, where on his way out the door Jagger told Perkins to imagine where he'd be singing and play somewhere else. Would you really feel like you'd played "with the Stones" if that was the atmosphere?

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2013-03-28 22:42 by blivet.

Posted by: Redhotcarpet ()
Date: March 28, 2013 22:52

Bill is whining? I think he must be one of the most diplomatic rock stars in history. If anything he has integrity. And dont start with the Mandy Smith story, yes he was handed women and teen girls on a plate for decades, just as the rest of the band. Except Charlie.

Posted by: Title5Take1 ()
Date: March 29, 2013 00:25

71Tele
Title5Take1
In UNDER THEIR THUMB Bill German relates a Beggar's Banquet interview with Bill Wyman where Wyman went on about how Mick had been trying to kick him out of the band for years, but the other Stones wouldn't let him. And German was so nervous the Stones wouldn't reunite during "WW III" he cut that part of the interview when he actually printed it, afraid Wyman's comments might cause things to collapse altogether.

But we haven't heard the other side of the story: How Bill was trying to get Mick kicked out of the band for years and take over lead vocals himself, based on the runaway success of "Monkey Grip". Perhaps this will be covered in his next book.

And then Bill learned that the 20 million Monkey Grips that sold were bought by fans who mistakenly thought it was a remixed Monkey Man 12" single. Crazy sh*t.

Posted by: Wuudy ()
Date: March 29, 2013 13:19

He said that "it's really hard to relive something, it's like going back to your old girlfriend. It never works. "

So, clearly, he doesn't want to come back.

Cheers,
Wuudy

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: March 29, 2013 13:28

Title5Take1
In UNDER THEIR THUMB Bill German relates a Beggar's Banquet interview with Bill Wyman where Wyman went on about how Mick had been trying to kick him out of the band for years, but the other Stones wouldn't let him. And German was so nervous the Stones wouldn't reunite during "WW III" he cut that part of the interview when he actually printed it, afraid Wyman's comments might cause things to collapse altogether.

Really? Can't remember that at all, what page is it on? It's particularly unusual for a Stone to be so "personal" and didn't Bill say in 1989 that Mick was right not to tour DW and deserved to be able to do some solo stuff? One (or both) of them must have been drunk...or Bill German had a nightmare and thought it had really happened!

Posted by: duke richardson ()
Date: March 29, 2013 16:23

why would Mick have wanted to kick Bill out of the band? what about Bill did he have a problem with? the reliability? the musicianship? the early interest in computers?

Date: March 29, 2013 16:37

stonehearted
treaclefingers
GRNRBITW
Munichhilton
mtaylor

Loved that show.

So, Treac, you sprang for the Amazon deal with your gift certificate. Actually, the getting his youth back comment reminds me of the episode with Cathy Lee Crosby, where she operates a dating service agency that robs applicants of their youth (Episode 19, The Youth Killer). All those episodes are great!

A pity the show was cancelled, because there were some interesting looking unproduced episodes that were in the works. From the wiki page on List of Kolchak: The Night Stalker episodes:

21 "Eve of Terror" N/A
A Doctor Jekyll/Mr. Hyde story involving a scientist who kills anyone in her project's way.
22 "The Get of Belial" N/A
A faith healer suffers the murders by her monstrous son thanks to Belial's curse, in order to continue the work of God.
N/A "The Executioners" N/A
The spirits of three executioners come to life and murder people, wherever their portrait painted with their cremated ashes is displayed.
A third script draft also not produced prior to the series cancellation short of its original order. Though in an early draft form at the time of cancellation and never assigned a production number, it is included here for completeness. This and the third unproduced telemovie have never been produced in any form (though the movie script is published by Gauntlet Press).

YES I DID!

I actually just received an Ellery Queen DVD set last night as well...since I've made the mental decision to not go to the next Stones show I feel flush with cash.

Just a point of clarification...Kolschak wasn't cancelled...Darren McGavin refused to sign on for another season because he didn't like the scripts. He said they read like a 'monster of the week' or something like that.

Maybe that was a good think, because as they stand these episodes are classics...I could see the storylines getting pretty tired after one season, so maybe McGavin knew best!

Anyway, they're great to watch!

Posted by: Title5Take1 ()
Date: March 29, 2013 17:19

gotdablouse
Title5Take1

Really? Can't remember that at all, what page is it on? It's particularly unusual for a Stone to be so "personal" and didn't Bill say in 1989 that Mick was right not to tour DW and deserved to be able to do some solo stuff? One (or both) of them must have been drunk...or Bill German had a nightmare and thought it had really happened!

p. 107

Posted by: sweet neo con ()
Date: March 29, 2013 17:24

Bill quit.
He miscalculated.
He thought the Stones would only go a few more years....not 20 more.
I think in some ways he's content.........but once in a while has regrets.

It would've been nice if he was included a little more on the "mini tour" but he
should not have expected it. (reminder....he quit)

I wish Mick taylor would've been included MUCH MORE. I don't thinking
he's whining...is he? And because of this...i think MT will be rewarded with more
things going forward.

IORR............but I like it!

Posted by: brownsugar86 ()
Date: March 29, 2013 21:03

This seems to have done him more harm than good.

I have a lot of respect for him leaving the band when he did. He went out on his own high & did it his way.

Playing with them as a guest for a couple of shows was pointless, if he was going to do that he might as well have never left in the first place & then he'd of been included in all the mega dosh from the tours since.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-03-30 01:01 by brownsugar86.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: March 30, 2013 02:05

To us they're the freakin' Rolling Stones. To Bill, they were the band he was in. Something tells me a lot of the old animosities and crap surfaced. Mick bitched about Bill not helping finish songs more in that '95 interview. Of course Bill's side was probably that he'd given up trying to contribute and get credit for and he just did his bass part, period.

Maybe I'm wrong but Mick seemed to pay little attention to anyone in the band during the PPV. He barely acknowledged Keith. And if I'm not mistaken he didn't even do that phony bit where just him and Keith embrace. I think only Ronnie came over and acknowledged Bill when he was playing with them in London. This is a sadly dysfunctional group that can't seem to communicate to each other's faces. What kind of men can't get over themselves and be a little warm to Bill? Obviously they asked him to play with them. Emotional twelve-year-olds, the whole lot of them.

Date: March 30, 2013 06:22

24FPS
To us they're the freakin' Rolling Stones. To Bill, they were the band he was in. Something tells me a lot of the old animosities and crap surfaced. Mick bitched about Bill not helping finish songs more in that '95 interview. Of course Bill's side was probably that he'd given up trying to contribute and get credit for and he just did his bass part, period.

He had also said that because the Stones' songs were more or less written in the studio a lot of time was spent just sitting around while Mick and Keith sorted things out. I can see why he didn't exactly feel compelled to be there every minute of the process. Sounds kind of dull if you're not Mick or Keith.

Posted by: owlbynite ()
Date: March 30, 2013 06:52

stonehearted
I doubt that Bill was thinking of rejoining as a full-time Stone. It is more that Bill is now at a point in his life where he is willing to be a bit more generous in recalling a part of his life [30 years worth] that he has left behind. We read in another thread how Bill was only able just recently to open up emotionally about his years in The Stones in those unreleased hours of interviews with the director of Crossfire Hurricane.

I think Bill's disappointment over the reunion stems from the fact that he was hoping for a bit of thanks for those 30 years with the band, to be more warmly acknowledged by the band, rather than being treated as a passenger, a virtual session man for those O2 gigs, which seems to have been the case.

I guess for Bill it's time to wake up to the way the band does business...

Date: March 31, 2013 22:26

owlbynite
stonehearted
I doubt that Bill was thinking of rejoining as a full-time Stone. It is more that Bill is now at a point in his life where he is willing to be a bit more generous in recalling a part of his life [30 years worth] that he has left behind. We read in another thread how Bill was only able just recently to open up emotionally about his years in The Stones in those unreleased hours of interviews with the director of Crossfire Hurricane.

I think Bill's disappointment over the reunion stems from the fact that he was hoping for a bit of thanks for those 30 years with the band, to be more warmly acknowledged by the band, rather than being treated as a passenger, a virtual session man for those O2 gigs, which seems to have been the case.

I guess for Bill it's time to wake up to the way the band does business...

I suppose you're right, but the shows were 50th anniversary celebrations, and according to Charlie, Bill was the one who pointed out they had an anniversary coming up. It wouldn't be out of line to expect a little more importance accorded a visit from a member of the original line-up -- one they never replaced, for that matter.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-03-31 22:27 by blivet.

Posted by: Redhotcarpet ()
Date: April 1, 2013 12:12

24FPS

Maybe I'm wrong but Mick seemed to pay little attention to anyone in the band during the PPV. He barely acknowledged Keith. And if I'm not mistaken he didn't even do that phony bit where just him and Keith embrace. I think only Ronnie came over and acknowledged Bill when he was playing with them in London. This is a sadly dysfunctional group that can't seem to communicate to each other's faces. What kind of men can't get over themselves and be a little warm to Bill? Obviously they asked him to play with them. Emotional twelve-year-olds, the whole lot of them.

Not Bill, I think he's the only adult in the band. And now, the jokes about 12 year olds please.

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: April 1, 2013 14:08

blivet

I suppose you're right, but the shows were 50th anniversary celebrations, and according to Charlie, Bill was the one who pointed out they had an anniversary coming up. It wouldn't be out of line to expect a little more importance accorded a visit from a member of the original line-up -- one they never replaced, for that matter.

Bill and Charlie aren't original members of The Rolling Stones in the same way that Ringo isn't an original member of The Beatles.

Date: April 1, 2013 20:24

His Majesty
blivet

Bill and Charlie aren't original members of The Rolling Stones in the same way that Ringo isn't an original member of The Beatles.

Neither are Mick and Keith, if you're going to get picky.

Date: April 1, 2013 20:34

blivet
His Majesty
blivet

They are!

Along with Brian and Stu they are founding members of The Rolling Stones. Dick Taylor as well really, a band was formed and they started gigging.

Bill and Charlie came along after the band had been named and gigged for 6 months or so.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-04-01 20:41 by His Majesty.

Posted by: GRNRBITW ()
Date: April 1, 2013 20:47

His Majesty
Along with Brian and Stu they are founding members of The Rolling Stones. Dick Taylor as well really, a band was formed and they started giggling.

Bill and Charlie came along after the band had been named and giggled for 6 months or so.

what was so funny?

Date: April 1, 2013 20:49

His Majesty
blivet

Not quite in the same way as Ringo and The Beatles. Ringo wasn't around for their earliest recordings such as the Decca auditions or the Hamburg recordings, particularly the one that got released and sent to Brian Epstein's NEMS store in Liverpool so that he could discover them. However, Bill and Charlie were there when they turned pro, were there for their first official photo shoot, as well as their earliest recordings. We have no filmed or audio-recorded evidence of what The Stones sounded like before Bill and Charlie joined.

Date: April 1, 2013 21:19

Same as in he is someone who joined an already existing band, a some what un-settled one with regards to the stones rhythm section.

Dick Taylor is the original bassist for The Rolling Stones and it seems Tony Chapman could be classed as their original drummer. What ever happened to Tony?

We have a small part of their curly Clayton recording session from October 1962.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-04-01 21:23 by His Majesty.

Date: April 1, 2013 22:42

stonehearted
His Majesty
blivet

Not quite in the same way as Ringo and The Beatles. Ringo wasn't around for their earliest recordings such as the Decca auditions or the Hamburg recordings, particularly the one that got released and sent to Brian Epstein's NEMS store in Liverpool so that he could discover them. However, Bill and Charlie were there when they turned pro, were there for their first official photo shoot, as well as their earliest recordings. We have no filmed or audio-recorded evidence of what The Stones sounded like before Bill and Charlie joined.

Little Boy Blue and the Blue Boys doesn't count?!

Date: April 1, 2013 23:13

treaclefingers
Little Boy Blue and the Blue Boys doesn't count?!

It sure let's us hear where a lot of the stones sound came from, but of course it isn't The Rolling Stones.

The Curly Clayton recording from October 1962 is The Rolling Stones - without a bass player. grinning smiley

Btw, the Curly Clayton recording was sent to people who worked at EMI and Decca.

Date: April 2, 2013 00:15

His Majesty
Same as in he is someone who joined an already existing band, a some what un-settled one with regards to the stones rhythm section.

Dick Taylor is the original bassist for The Rolling Stones and it seems Tony Chapman could be classed as their original drummer. What ever happened to Tony?

We have a small part of their curly Clayton recording session from October 1962.

We do? I'd be interested in hearing that! Are you able to post it, in case it isn't on YouTube? Regarding Tony Chapman, I believe one of the British papers doing a story on the 50th anniversary last year reported that he is presently living in Liverpool, but is not currently active in music.

Posted by: Wuudy ()
Date: April 2, 2013 00:15

sweet neo con
Bill quit.
He miscalculated.
He thought the Stones would only go a few more years....not 20 more.
I think in some ways he's content.........but once in a while has regrets.

It would've been nice if he was included a little more on the "mini tour" but he
should not have expected it. (reminder....he quit)

I wish Mick taylor would've been included MUCH MORE. I don't thinking
he's whining...is he? And because of this...i think MT will be rewarded with more
things going forward.

How did he miscalculate? He said that he had enough and wanted to do other things not that he wanted to quite before the band stops.

Cheers,
Wuudy

Date: April 2, 2013 00:26

His Majesty
blivet
His Majesty
blivet

They are!

Along with Brian and Stu they are founding members of The Rolling Stones. Dick Taylor as well really, a band was formed and they started gigging.

Bill and Charlie came along after the band had been named and gigged for 6 months or so.

It was Brian and Stu's band; they recruited Mick and Keith. But if the name is the important thing, the band you are talking about -- the one with Dick Taylor and Tony Chapman -- was called The Rollin' Stones. Bill and Charlie are founder members of The Rolling Stones.

Date: April 2, 2013 01:31

blivet
It was Brian and Stu's band; they recruited Mick and Keith. But if the name is the important thing, the band you are talking about -- the one with Dick Taylor and Tony Chapman -- was called The Rollin' Stones. Bill and Charlie are founder members of The Rolling Stones.

The g is there on the articile and poster for their debut at The Marquee, but it's not important. A band was formed and a name was chosen for that band to perform under and they gigged for 6 months or so before Bill or Charlie joined.

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 3 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1493
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home