Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 2 of 4
Re: OT: Amanda Knox
Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: March 27, 2013 22:00

tomcasagranda
LeonidP
Chris Fountain
There is no way Amanda Fox will be extradited to Italy. If so, this would be a case of double jeopardy, which is deemed illegal in the U.S. It is not going to happen.

This didn't happen in the US, so the double jeopardy doesn't apply. As for not being extradited, it's not that easy for US to just refuse -- then the USA would have Italy refusing to send anyone back in future cases etc. It's a lot more complicated than simply saying 'no'.

Not to mention, it's always possible that she is guilty and deserves to go back & face the music -- of course I don't know that she's guilty but just saying, none of us can simply say that she is innocent with 100% certainty

I do not think Ms Knox is guilty: she looks too slight to murder someone.

Ah, didn't know the proof of innocence or guilt was dependent on ones looks! Just kidding of course, many a slight built women have killed in the past so not sure why you are bringing that up!

Posted by: NoCode0680 ()
Date: March 28, 2013 01:13

LeonidP
Chris Fountain
There is no way Amanda Fox will be extradited to Italy. If so, this would be a case of double jeopardy, which is deemed illegal in the U.S. It is not going to happen.

This didn't happen in the US, so the double jeopardy doesn't apply. As for not being extradited, it's not that easy for US to just refuse -- then the USA would have Italy refusing to send anyone back in future cases etc. It's a lot more complicated than simply saying 'no'.

Not to mention, it's always possible that she is guilty and deserves to go back & face the music -- of course I don't know that she's guilty but just saying, none of us can simply say that she is innocent with 100% certainty

It's didn't happen in the U.S. but she is a U.S. citizen on U.S. soil, so she's covered by the Constitution. If she were still in Italy it wouldn't apply, but she's in the U.S.

And it really is as simple as refusing, both sides have done it before. The treaty isn't obligatory, and judged on a case by case basis. It might not be popular with Italy, but it's what will happen. They'll tell them they should have convicted them the first time, and just as they're asking the U.S. to respect their law, the U.S. will tell them to respect the Constitution.

Posted by: MILKYWAY ()
Date: March 28, 2013 01:25

]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-01-31 18:35 by MILKYWAY.

Posted by: MKjan ()
Date: March 28, 2013 01:28

Even worse than all this, Starbucks has the nerve to think about
opening a store in Italy.

Posted by: RSbestbandever ()
Date: March 28, 2013 01:49

I don't know if she is guilty or not of the murder but I do believe she knows a whole lot more about the crime then she has said. Why she wouldn't be more upfront and truthful is only a question she can answer. My personal opinion is that she was there when the murder occured, perhaps it resulted from a sex game gone very bad, and for some reason she has continued to refuse to cooperate fully with Italian authorities. I don't see her returning on her own to Italy and I don't think the U.S. would force her too at this point. The truth needs to be known and the guilty party, or parties, brought to justice for all those involved. I do think we will find out the true story at some point in the future.

Posted by: Title5Take1 ()
Date: March 28, 2013 02:46

MILKYWAY
Title5Take1
[www.iorr.org]

That link has nothing to do with this Amanda Knox thread. Is it your belief that a thread on Mick Taylor would preclude any other thread about him?

Some people just like to piss in the soup. angry smiley

I was just indirectly, and lazily, directing people to the Rolling Stone Magazine article that's linked on that other thread. But, as you can see above, I then did post a direct link to that article on this thread. And then I slept with two Rolling Stones' daughters this afternoon, but I won't tell you which ones.

Date: March 28, 2013 02:54

p

Posted by: CBII ()
Date: March 28, 2013 03:14

Chris Fountain

The USA can try someone more than once if their verdict was not by Jury. Sucks but true. Also consider what treaties are in place between the US and Italy. Now I agree, I highly doubt the US will send her back to Italy if she's convicted, she will NEVER safely be able to travel outside the United States again. We have a couple of Presidents that have been convicted in the courts of other countries and are considered War Criminals.

CBII

Date: March 28, 2013 14:06

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: March 28, 2013 16:09

Down and down she goes
Our, Amanda Knox
I said down and down and down and down
She'd look really lovely at home
Til somebody gonna come up and ask her
To live happily ever after, Miss Amanda Knox

On and on she goes
Little Miss Amanda Knox
I said on and on and on and on
Just watch her as she grow
Don't wanna say it very obviously
But she's losing her nobility, Miss Amanda Knox

Hey girl don't you realize
The money invested in you
Hey girl you just got to find
Someone who'll really pull your family through

Up and up she goes
Our Amanda Knox
I said up and up and up and up
She looks quite delightfully stoned
She's the darling of the discotheque crowd
Of her lineage she's rightfully proud, miss Amanda Knox

Hey girl with your nonsense nose
All pointing right down at the floor
Hey girl your suspender shows
And the girl behind you looks a bit unsure

Round and round she goes
The world of Amanda Knox
I said round and round and round and round
The balls and the dinners and show
The little girl she just wanders about
Til it's time for her coming out, miss Amanda Knox

Round and round and round
Round and round and round....

Posted by: reg thorpe ()
Date: March 28, 2013 16:11

treaclefingers
Down and down she goes
Our, Amanda Knox

On and on she goes
Little Miss Amanda Knox

Up and up she goes
Our Amanda Knox

Round and round she goes
The world of Amanda Knox

I thought that was Miss Amanda Jones

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-03-28 16:11 by reg thorpe.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: March 28, 2013 16:12

reg thorpe
treaclefingers
Down and down she goes
Our, Amanda Knox

On and on she goes
Little Miss Amanda Knox

Up and up she goes
Our Amanda Knox

Round and round she goes
The world of Amanda Knox

Miss Amanda Jones? Is that her married name?

Wouldn't it be Mrs. Amanda Jones then?

Posted by: reg thorpe ()
Date: March 28, 2013 16:40

treaclefingers
reg thorpe
treaclefingers
Down and down she goes
Our, Amanda Knox

On and on she goes
Little Miss Amanda Knox

Up and up she goes
Our Amanda Knox

Round and round she goes
The world of Amanda Knox

Miss Amanda Jones? Is that her married name?

Wouldn't it be Mrs. Amanda Jones then?

Me and Mrs.Jones
We got a thing goin'on
We both know that it's wrong
But it's much too strong
To let it go now

We meet every day at the same cafe
Six-thirty and no one knows she'll be there
Holding hands, making all kinds of plans
While the juke box plays our favorite songs

Me and Mrs.Jones
We got a thing goin'on
But it's much too strong
To let it go now

We gotta be extra careful
That do we don't build our hopes up too high
Because she's got her own obligations
And so, and so, do I

Me and Mrs.Jones
We got a thing goin'on
But it's much too strong
To let it go now

Well, it's time for us to be leaving
It hurts so much, it hurts so much inside
Now she'll go her way snd I'll go mine
Tomorrow we'll meet
The same pklace, the same time

Me and Mrs.Jones
We got a thing goin'on
But it's much too strong
To let it go now

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: March 28, 2013 23:09

Amanda Knox ..... limerick fodder ...

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Natlanta ()
Date: March 28, 2013 23:22

i used to be in a band called limerick fodder.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: March 28, 2013 23:30

..hey that wild....

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Max'sKansasCity ()
Date: March 29, 2013 04:59

Weird deal

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2013-03-29 07:33 by Max'sKansasCity.

Posted by: Max'sKansasCity ()
Date: March 29, 2013 06:39

But seriously, kind of a sad deal.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-03-29 07:32 by Max'sKansasCity.

Date: March 31, 2013 05:35

NoCode0680
LeonidP
Chris Fountain

It's didn't happen in the U.S. but she is a U.S. citizen on U.S. soil, so she's covered by the Constitution. If she were still in Italy it wouldn't apply, but she's in the U.S...

Ummm ... no! It isn't a USA crime, it doesn't matter what soil she is on. That's why countries have agreements in place to extradite defendants, so that they can be tried in their own court.

Date: March 31, 2013 06:30

LeonidP
NoCode0680
LeonidP
Chris Fountain

It's didn't happen in the U.S. but she is a U.S. citizen on U.S. soil, so she's covered by the Constitution. If she were still in Italy it wouldn't apply, but she's in the U.S...

Ummm ... no! It isn't a USA crime, it doesn't matter what soil she is on. That's why countries have agreements in place to extradite defendants, so that they can be tried in their own court.

I don't think you're understanding, or maybe you don't understand the U.S. Constitution. It guarantees her rights, for better or worse, and what soil she's on certainly does matter. One of those rights is that she not be tried for the same crime multiple times (with some exceptions). If she were outside the U.S. she wouldn't be guaranteed that right as the Constitution doesn't go traveling with her. But she is in the U.S. so she's sort of at home base in a game of tag, if she should leave then she would leave her protection and subject to Italian law. But since she's in the U.S. her Constitutional rights could supersede Italian law. Countries do have these agreements, but it's not automatic and it's on a case by case basis. The U.S. and other countries with extradition treaties with Italy have turned them down in the past and can do it again. Just as many countries deny us extradition when they don't feel it's the right (or legally correct) thing to do.

Posted by: SonicDreamer ()
Date: March 31, 2013 14:06

CBII
Chris Fountain

The USA can try someone more than once if their verdict was not by Jury. Sucks but true. Also consider what treaties are in place between the US and Italy. Now I agree, I highly doubt the US will send her back to Italy if she's convicted, she will NEVER safely be able to travel outside the United States again. We have a couple of Presidents that have been convicted in the courts of other countries and are considered War Criminals.

Yeah there are quite a few "at large" former leader war criminals around - George W. Bush, Tony Blair, etc. Off to The Hague and "Mr. Big in showers" with all of them.

Cheers,
SonicD

Date: March 31, 2013 15:12

NoCode0680
LeonidP
NoCode0680
LeonidP
Chris Fountain

I don't think you're understanding, or maybe you don't understand the U.S. Constitution. It guarantees her rights, ...

Yes, I understand perfectly. You're not understanding that other countries don't go by the US constitution...

Date: March 31, 2013 15:43

LeonidP
NoCode0680
LeonidP
NoCode0680
LeonidP
Chris Fountain

I don't think you're understanding, or maybe you don't understand the U.S. Constitution. It guarantees her rights, ...

Yes, I understand perfectly. You're not understanding that other countries don't go by the US constitution...

Nobody is saying other countries recognize our Constitution, I think that's been made clear many times. I even said in my last post, the protection of the Constitution doesn't travel with us. We do go by it here though, and she is here.

Posted by: Chris Fountain ()
Date: March 31, 2013 16:15

CBII
Chris Fountain

Exellent Post!

I think we should use Stealth Bombers to hover around Italy. Just kidding. However, when I think of Jodi Arias, I have no idea if she was guilty or not.

How many appellate courts do the Italians have? This reminds me of the Sopranos.

Date: March 31, 2013 17:48

NoCode0680
LeonidP
NoCode0680
LeonidP
NoCode0680
LeonidP
Chris Fountain

Nobody is saying other countries recognize our Constitution, I think that's been made clear many times. I even said in my last post, the protection of the Constitution doesn't travel with us. We do go by it here though, and she is here.

Yes, that's why they have extradition agreements!

Date: March 31, 2013 18:01

LeonidP
NoCode0680
LeonidP
NoCode0680
LeonidP
NoCode0680
LeonidP
Chris Fountain

Countries do not enter into those agreements as the risk of their own sovereignty though. Just like many countries will refuse to allow an extradition to a country that has the death penalty. They stick by their beliefs that the death penalty is wrong, and flex their sovereignty on the issue by basically saying "Well he/she is here now, and we don't believe in that". It's not automatic that somebody be extradited just because one country wishes it. For example the Roman Polanski case, several countries that we have extradition agreements with (France, Switzerland, Poland, etc) refused to turn him over to the U.S. authorities. These agreements do not tie one country's hands to do what the other country says.

Posted by: sweetcharmedlife ()
Date: April 1, 2013 03:36

LeonidP
NoCode0680
LeonidP
NoCode0680
LeonidP
NoCode0680
LeonidP
Chris Fountain

She's not going anywhere. Even if the idiotic Italian justice system fails again and goes ahead with another trial. The US will not hand her over. I doubt the Italians would ask them to either.The entire prosecution was bundled and botched.

Posted by: dunhill ()
Date: April 1, 2013 04:05

I do personally couldn't care less about whether Amanda Knox is guilty or not, but I think you guys went a bit too far about judging Italy.
I am Italian and I know my country's pretty f**ked up but ... I read about the sunken ship, well, how many ships do sink each year?
WHat about the Italian legal system? In the US many people did get life or even death and were proven innocent after 20, 30 years, if I do remember correctly last week a guy from NYC was set free after spending something like 30 years on jail for a crime he didn't commit.
So please, before talking about my country with such despise do check yours, ok?
No grudges,
d.

Date: April 1, 2013 05:14

dunhill
I do personally couldn't care less about whether Amanda Knox is guilty or not, but I think you guys went a bit too far about judging Italy.
I am Italian and I know my country's pretty f**ked up but ... I read about the sunken ship, well, how many ships do sink each year?
WHat about the Italian legal system? In the US many people did get life or even death and were proven innocent after 20, 30 years, if I do remember correctly last week a guy from NYC was set free after spending something like 30 years on jail for a crime he didn't commit.
So please, before talking about my country with such despise do check yours, ok?
No grudges,
d.

Oh we for sure have much to be desired from our legal system. It's totally @#$%&. However, you're incorrectly assuming that everybody talking shit about your legal system is American.

Posted by: dunhill ()
Date: April 1, 2013 13:38

NoCode0680
However, you're incorrectly assuming that everybody talking shit about your legal system is American.
You have a point here.

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 2 of 4

This Thread has been closed

Online Users

Guests: 1540
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home