Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: "Let's Spend The Night Together" - Your own first hand story
Posted by: Green Lady ()
Date: March 23, 2013 09:13

owlbynite
FrankM
CousinC
I liked it from first listen. It had been an important single since the Stones had been on a down for a bit. The last single Have you seen your mother hadn't been a big hit and I remember headlines like " Decline or triumph for the Stones?".
With that 2-sided single they were back in the charts. In Germany Ruby Tuesday was the even bigger hit of the 2.

Must have been a very short down/slump since Aftermath was just a year before.

A lot of radio stations didn't play it here in The States so it didn't crack the top forty.

Yes, don't remember it getting much airplay in the States...for whatever reason?

Many DJs in the morally-sensitive US chose to play Ruby Tuesday instead, apparently.

Posted by: owlbynite ()
Date: March 23, 2013 09:32

Green Lady
owlbynite
FrankM
CousinC
I liked it from first listen. It had been an important single since the Stones had been on a down for a bit. The last single Have you seen your mother hadn't been a big hit and I remember headlines like " Decline or triumph for the Stones?".
With that 2-sided single they were back in the charts. In Germany Ruby Tuesday was the even bigger hit of the 2.

Must have been a very short down/slump since Aftermath was just a year before.

A lot of radio stations didn't play it here in The States so it didn't crack the top forty.

Yes, don't remember it getting much airplay in the States...for whatever reason?

Many DJs in the morally-sensitive US chose to play Ruby Tuesday instead, apparently.

And Paint It Black. They played what the network brass told them to.

Posted by: owlbynite ()
Date: March 23, 2013 09:36

Big Al
Did the song really have an impact? It's just a decent pop single, nothing more. The lyrics are not risque. Surely it was only Ed Sullivan who thought so?

Guess you'd need to ask bv why the documentary, then?

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: March 24, 2013 18:37

Although I started listing the Stones since '67 I can't remember when I first heard this song...maybe I was too young to understand the lyrics.......

Posted by: rainhog ()
Date: March 24, 2013 20:48

I saw in the local newspaper that this movie/concert was to be released.So,I rounded up a few buddies and we went to see this movie. Slowly,my friend left the movie saying that it wasn't what they thought it would be. Me,being a huge fan,sat through the show w/ my best friend(who stayed only in support of me). I was one if three people who left the theatre that day...but,that show has stuck w/ me ever since! I loved everything about this movie/show!!!!

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: March 25, 2013 11:56

rainhog
I saw in the local newspaper that this movie/concert was to be released.So,I rounded up a few buddies and we went to see this movie. Slowly,my friend left the movie saying that it wasn't what they thought it would be. Me,being a huge fan,sat through the show w/ my best friend(who stayed only in support of me). I was one if three people who left the theatre that day...but,that show has stuck w/ me ever since! I loved everything about this movie/show!!!!

Likewise, the first connotation I had of "Let's Spend The Night Together was the Hal Ashby movie...grinning smiley

So even though BV do not refer to that, I use the opportunity to say something about it.

Now to think of that I have alawys that the movie was my first experience of a Stones concert. But it was actually more - and this says how much the times have changed: it was the actual very fisrt time I ever see a footage of the Stones playing live. By then, I think I's been a fan for two years or something, and collected all their albums realeased by then, but there was no way to have footage material, and our national television didn't show anything. I guess I might have seen the videos of "Time IS On my Side" and "Going To A Go-Go", but that was it. Just the records and pictures - that was the visual aspect of the Stones for me. So seeing LET'S SPEND THE NIGHT TOGETHER in my local cinema was a novel experience in many sense. and it was a eyes-opening, mind-exploding experience altogether (especially Richards's coolness made a tremendous effect on my mind).I got a VHS video player soon afterwards and then get to see STONES IN THE PARK next. And from then on, I started to collect bootleg video material, and but that's another story.

Sorry, this was OT, but still some how related...>grinning smiley<

- Doxa

Date: March 25, 2013 12:02

But of the song... I heard first time in a K-TEL collection made for Finnish market called BEST OF THE ROLLING STONES and I recall thinking "now, there's a nice cacthy pop song, sounds a bit like The Beatles". But there were tracks like "Jumpin' Jack Flash" and especially "Honky Tonk Women" which made a way bigger impression.... (I didn't know even those songs earlier, the only classical Stones numbers I somehow was awere of were "Satisfaction" and "Paint It Black".) That took place in winter 1981/82. So I don't think I am qualified for the request here...

- Doxa

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-03-25 12:04 by Doxa.

Posted by: angee ()
Date: March 26, 2013 01:11

Doxa
But of the song... I heard first time in a K-TEL collection made for Finnish market called BEST OF THE ROLLING STONES and I recall thinking "now, there's a nice cacthy pop song, sounds a bit like The Beatles". But there were tracks like "Jumpin' Jack Flash" and especially "Honky Tonk Women" which made a way bigger impression.... (I didn't know even those songs earlier, the only classical Stones numbers I somehow was awere of were "Satisfaction" and "Paint It Black".) That took place in winter 1981/82. So I don't think I am qualified for the request here...

- Doxa

Yeah, Doxa, you write like an old soul, but let's face it, you are just too young for this one! cool smiley

~"Love is Strong"~

Posted by: peoplewitheyes ()
Date: March 26, 2013 04:39

great to have you back all over the threads, Doxa! i missed ya

Date: March 27, 2013 09:17

Thanks, guys. "Old Habits Die Hard" or "Wild Horses Couldn't Drag Me Away" or how to say...

- Doxa

Posted by: RockinBud ()
Date: March 28, 2013 21:44

It was winter 66-67 when the song came out, I was 19 in college.LSTNT was very exciting and different with the piano intro...my friend's father got us 2 tix for the afternoon(rehearsal) show of the Ed Sullivan show.It was a cold January day waiting on line . There were 200-300 screaming fans in the studio. It was fantastic to be up close in the studio with The Rolling Stones. MJ was fantastic with "Lets Spend Some Time Together" eyes rolling It was a very exciting time 66-67 when I was 19 and everything for my generation was opening up. IMO the Stones were at the forefront(along with the Beatles of course), it is a cherished memory and experience of my lifelong career with The Greatest RocknRoll band in the world about 46 years ago..
RB

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: March 28, 2013 21:59

Doxa
Thanks, guys. "Old Habits Die Hard" or "Wild Horses Couldn't Drag Me Away" or how to say...
- Doxa

"If you try sometimes you just might find you get what you need"

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: March 28, 2013 23:12

ROCKMAN

Posted by: angee ()
Date: March 29, 2013 00:39

RockinBud
It was winter 66-67 when the song came out, I was 19 in college.LSTNT was very exciting and different with the piano intro...my friend's father got us 2 tix for the afternoon(rehearsal) show of the Ed Sullivan show.It was a cold January day waiting on line . There were 200-300 screaming fans in the studio. It was fantastic to be up close in the studio with The Rolling Stones. MJ was fantastic with "Lets Spend Some Time Together" eyes rolling It was a very exciting time 66-67 when I was 19 and everything for my generation was opening up. IMO the Stones were at the forefront(along with the Beatles of course), it is a cherished memory and experience of my lifelong career with The Greatest RocknRoll band in the world about 46 years ago..
RB

That is so great that you were in the audience, RockinBud!

~"Love is Strong"~

Posted by: RockinBud ()
Date: March 29, 2013 01:46

Thanks Angee, I am happy to share, I was also at the Ed Sullivan show for PAINT IT BLACK, but this thread is for LSTNT
RB

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1123
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home