Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
"Let's Spend The Night Together" - Your own first hand story
Posted by: bv ()
Date: March 20, 2013 13:35

ITV are producing a TV music documentary and would like to speak to some Rolling Stones fans about the impact the track "Let's Spend The Night Together" had.
We want first hand stories of the people that were really there.

Please send an e-mail to me at iorr@arena.no and I will forward your contact info to ITV.

Thanks!

Bjornulf

Re: "Let's Spend The Night Together" - Your own first hand story
Date: March 20, 2013 13:41

-

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-03-20 13:56 by DandelionPowderman.

Posted by: Munichhilton ()
Date: March 20, 2013 15:10

I could speak volumes about the movie...

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: March 20, 2013 18:21

bv
ITV are producing a TV music documentary and would like to speak to some Rolling Stones fans
about the impact the track "Let's Spend The Night Together" had.

Sorry for the dense question, but: people that were really where?
On the planet Earth when it was released, or ... ?

Posted by: SwayStones ()
Date: March 20, 2013 18:44

with sssoul
bv
ITV are producing a TV music documentary and would like to speak to some Rolling Stones fans

smiling smiley

Posted by: stonesrule ()
Date: March 20, 2013 22:15

I will never forget when Mick and Keith asked me to listen to this new song of theirs, "Satisfaction."

Naff title for a song, I thought.

I had found the 1792 tour to be exhausting and now in the 1960's these "rock stars" were asking eagerly, "Stonesrule, do you think someday this will be good enough for a TV music documentary?"

"Isn't hearing it on the radio the important thing?" I said. "I'm tired. Stop bugging me about things that will never happen."

Posted by: lettingitbleed ()
Date: March 20, 2013 22:21

I assume you mean when the single was released back in '67? I have my Mom's story about it......

Posted by: owlbynite ()
Date: March 21, 2013 02:11

I remember how risque the subject matter was at the time! Didn't Ed Sullivan not allow the Stones to play it on his show?

Posted by: bitusa2012 ()
Date: March 21, 2013 07:38

stonesrule
I had found the 1792 tour to be exhausting and

I'd be exhausted having toured since 1792 as well !

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: March 21, 2013 07:50

Since Jimi's single 'Hey Joe' were released december 1966 I didn't even noticed Stones new song 'Let's spend the night together' released january 1967...Jimi were the name on the walls that winter....Purple Haze followed in March and The wind cries Mary in May...Next Stones-single that really mattered were 'We Love You'/Dandelion'..then it was Stones again....followed by smashing album 'Beggars Banquet' as you all know...Stones were number 1 for a long time until...Creedence Clearwater Revival began their crazy road with smash-hit singles....

2 1 2 0

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-03-21 07:58 by Come On.

Date: March 21, 2013 09:52

I've read later that one of Norway's most respected music reviewers bashed the song hard when it came out. He's the father of a keyboard player who used to be in my band, btw smiling smiley

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: March 21, 2013 11:00

never found that risque .... couldn't figure what the fuss was about...

ROCKMAN

Posted by: SKILLS ()
Date: March 21, 2013 11:04

BV,

Are they looking to interview retirees or fans, My Dad, a young fan at 65 next month. He's been angling for Wyman's spot since 66' in Wellington, so I suppose he could chuck a few teenage anecdotes at the ITV crew. Personally I wish they'd do a kick ass doco on 81/82 the 1st of the big tours

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: March 21, 2013 11:41

with sssoul
bv

In the room when Mick and Keith wrote it of course. grinning smiley

Or possibly just a pop-pickin' kid who might have been tickled/perplexed/embarrassed at this rather pertinent statement made as the younger generation were questioning old social and sexual (petty) morals.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-03-21 15:05 by Silver Dagger.

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: March 21, 2013 12:03

Muddy's version is much more rock and roll than the pop sounding original. I always considered the song a bagatelle. Not in Muddy's hands though (nothing is)...

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: March 21, 2013 12:24

A short lesson on how to use the verb be:

" In the past indicative, was is the first– and third-person singular (used with I, as well as with he, she, it and other subjects that would be used with does rather than do), and were is both the second-person singular and the plural (used with we, you, they, and any other plural subjects). In the traditional past subjunctive, were is used with all subjects, though many speakers do not actually distinguish the past subjunctive from the past indicative, and therefore use was with first– and third-person singular subjects even in cases where other speakers would use were."

Date: March 21, 2013 14:38

Re the "lesson": "Your", as well as "the people" both are referring to the plural form? Who is it that needs the lesson, then? confused smiley

Posted by: CousinC ()
Date: March 21, 2013 16:29

I liked it from first listen. It had been an important single since the Stones had been on a down for a bit. The last single Have you seen your mother hadn't been a big hit and I remember headlines like " Decline or triumph for the Stones?".
With that 2-sided single they were back in the charts. In Germany Ruby Tuesday was the even bigger hit of the 2.

Posted by: crawdaddy ()
Date: March 21, 2013 19:29

Where are you Nanker ???
Not sure if that was your era James. winking smiley

Posted by: FrankM ()
Date: March 21, 2013 19:54

CousinC
I liked it from first listen. It had been an important single since the Stones had been on a down for a bit. The last single Have you seen your mother hadn't been a big hit and I remember headlines like " Decline or triumph for the Stones?".
With that 2-sided single they were back in the charts. In Germany Ruby Tuesday was the even bigger hit of the 2.

Must have been a very short down/slump since Aftermath was just a year before.

A lot of radio stations didn't play it here in The States so it didn't crack the top forty.

"Lyin' awake in a cold, cold sweat. Am I overdrawn, am I going in debt?
It gets worse, the older that you get. No escape from the state of confusion I'm in.

Posted by: drbryant ()
Date: March 22, 2013 03:54

If they are doing a special on just that one track, someone should mention that it is the worst stereo mix in the Stones catalogue - completely dilutes the power of the song.

Date: March 22, 2013 05:30

Rockman
never found that risque .... couldn't figure what the fuss was about...

maybe we couldn't figure the fuss but the network big-wigs thought differently..remember how Ed Sullivan told the Doors not to sing...we couldn't get much higher...on Light My Fire? Of course, Morrison did it anyway and Sullivan kicked him off his show forever after...

Date: March 22, 2013 05:46

lettingitbleed
I assume you mean when the single was released back in '67? I have my Mom's story about it......

Ok, junior, your elders are speaking!

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: March 22, 2013 09:07

we couldn't figure the fuss but the network big-wigs thought differently..remember how Ed Sullivan told the Doors not to sing...

apple pie stuff and Ed was a bit of old stick in the mud ....

ROCKMAN

Date: March 22, 2013 09:24

Rockman
we couldn't figure the fuss but the network big-wigs thought differently..remember how Ed Sullivan told the Doors not to sing...

apple pie stuff and Ed was a bit of old stick in the mud ....

yes, but they were in charge...

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: March 22, 2013 14:34

Did the song really have an impact? It's just a decent pop single, nothing more. The lyrics are not risque. Surely it was only Ed Sullivan who thought so?

Posted by: CousinC ()
Date: March 22, 2013 15:13

FrankM
CousinC

Music and success was very short-living in those days.You had to come up with a new hit every 2-3 month . .

Posted by: TheBadRabbit ()
Date: March 22, 2013 16:58

One of my least favorite Stones tracks. This song just never clicked with me--there's nothing there that makes me want to listen to it. I like it even less when they do it live. I did, however, see the Sullivan show when Jagger rolled his eyes at the camera singing "let's spend some time together." That's my story.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-03-22 17:01 by TheBadRabbit.

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: March 23, 2013 03:31

Big Al
Did the song really have an impact? It's just a decent pop single, nothing more. The lyrics are not risque. Surely it was only Ed Sullivan who thought so?

I think it is a perfect pop song, ace recording and a part of a perfect single with Ruby Tuesday on the other side, but really as a release it wasn't anything that important to their career and only caused minor fuss when they sang it on Ed Sullivan.

Strange choice to focus on, but perhaps the events of February 1967 took away some of it's impact!?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-03-23 03:46 by His Majesty.

Date: March 23, 2013 06:56

FrankM
CousinC

A lot of radio stations didn't play it here in The States so it didn't crack the top forty.

Yes, don't remember it getting much airplay in the States...for whatever reason?

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1842
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home