Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 4 of 5
Re: Track Talk (GRRR! Tracks): Doom And Gloom
Posted by: HMS ()
Date: February 11, 2017 13:28

Yes indeed. And let´s not forget One Hit To The Body. All of these songs are just as great as JJF, BS, SMU. But the musical landscape has changed for worse.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: February 11, 2017 16:17

Too flat, One Hit especially. They're not as great as anything post-1981.

If they were, they would've been hits.

I Go Wild is good but it's SBN: it's acceptable.

Posted by: Sipuncula ()
Date: February 11, 2017 16:39

Screamer
People can say what they want, but for me this was the song that got me hooked on the Rolling Stones in same way that "Start Me Up" did for kids in early 80's, and because of that it will always be very special for me.

I was just a regular 14-year-old browsing my Facebook feed one day in 2012 when I saw a friend of mine, who was more into classic rock music because of her father, shared this song. I was shocked to learn that not only this 50-year-old band was still active, but they even released a new song and had a tour. And oh boy, what an energetic, modern, fun and powerful song that was! I also finally understood what people meant by "moves like Jagger". It got me so hooked that I bought GRRR!, after that started listening to the albums chronologically, and the rest is history. I don't write often on this forum, but I visit it almost every day and sometimes I get sad because most people here have been fans since 60's, 70's and 80's and seems like I've missed the party by becoming a fan only in 2010's, but hey - better late than never. winking smiley

That's great! I have a similar story, but different timeline. For me it was 1994, and the song was (gulp) You Got Me Rocking. Yes, I admit it. Still like that song. Then it was off to the races. It probably started that way for most of us here; we were around at the right time and the right place, whether it be Satisfaction or Start Me Up.

Date: February 11, 2017 17:03

GasLightStreet

It´s not the songs, it´s more that this kind of music nowadays doesn´t chart anymore, and artists 25+ are hard to find in the single-charts, unless you are Rihanna, Beyonce etc. The charts are ruled by Girl-Groups, Boy-Groups and Disney-Stars. And their music has nothing to do with rock music.

YGMR or One Hit would have been smash-hits in the 70s, just like Flip The Switch, Doom And Gloom etc. But you can´t turn back time. Nowadays JJF or HTW would be No.58 in the charts. Even Start Me Up would not have any chance to become a hit.

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: February 11, 2017 17:51

The Stones used to be a boy group. grinning smiley

Posted by: georgelicks ()
Date: February 11, 2017 18:08

GasLightStreet

One Hit was a Top 30 chart hit in the US, that was great back in 1986, even until mid 90' lots of rock artist had hits on the charts, but that was 20 years ago.
You can release a Start Me Up, IORR or Brown Sugar nowadays and people could care less, it's old music for old people, mainstream rock is dinosaur music, even alternative/modern rock is out of fashion.

Posted by: harlem shuffle ()
Date: February 11, 2017 18:11

Great song,ten times better than One More Shot

Posted by: pt99 ()
Date: February 12, 2017 01:08

Love it AND One More Shot

Date: February 13, 2017 20:14

georgelicks
GasLightStreet

One Hit was a Top 30 chart hit in the US, that was great back in 1986, even until mid 90' lots of rock artist had hits on the charts, but that was 20 years ago.
You can release a Start Me Up, IORR or Brown Sugar nowadays and people could care less, it's old music for old people, mainstream rock is dinosaur music, even alternative/modern rock is out of fashion.

Harlem Shuffle was #5.

You may be right in terms of the impact if Brown Sugar or Start Me Up was released in 2017 as a new single but it would still be huge because they're great songs, unlike Doom And Gloom or One Hit or UOTNight or I Go Wild or Mixed Emotions etc.

Date: February 13, 2017 21:58

Doom And Gloom, One Hit To The Body and Undercover Of The Night hit you as hard as Brown Sugar or Start Me Up. Great songs all of them.

SMU & BS released in 2017 wouldn´t be huge, because nobody cares anymore for good songs. At least not enough people to put good songs in the charts, it´s all Disney-Stars and even worse wanna-be´s. Not even Doom And Gloom was huge - in the 70s it would have been an instant chart-topper.

Posted by: RipThisBone ()
Date: February 13, 2017 22:37

+ 1 HMS.

Doom & Gloom and also Highwire are in the same league, but released in another timeframe.

CLASSIC STONES LOVE IT!

Edit: HIGHWIRE would be a great opener for EUROPE 2017...hot smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-02-13 22:39 by RipThisBone.

Date: February 14, 2017 16:33

HMS
Doom And Gloom, One Hit To The Body and Undercover Of The Night hit you as hard as Brown Sugar or Start Me Up. Great songs all of them.

To someone that doesn't give a toss about quality. As much as I like UOTN it's no where in the league of Brown Sugar and Start Me Up. That other song is ridiculously bad.

HMS
SMU & BS released in 2017 wouldn´t be huge, because nobody cares anymore for good songs. At least not enough people to put good songs in the charts, it´s all Disney-Stars and even worse wanna-be´s. Not even Doom And Gloom was huge - in the 70s it would have been an instant chart-topper.

Wrong. Brown Sugar or Start Me Up would be huge in context to Doom And Gloom, which was just Stones by numbers. Four floor beat, a toss off that sounds like the reverse of I Go Wild, which was just a toss off of the Stones imitating the Stones.

Doom And Gloom is imitation Stones of imitation Stones.

Date: February 15, 2017 02:20

GasLightStreet
Wrong. Brown Sugar or Start Me Up would be huge in context to Doom And Gloom, which was just Stones by numbers. Four floor beat, a toss off that sounds like the reverse of I Go Wild, which was just a toss off of the Stones imitating the Stones.

Doom And Gloom is imitation Stones of imitation Stones.

You could never be #1 or #2 on today's charts with Brown Sugar or Start Me Up, actually not even Top 100 if we see the way that charts are done this days, you need MONSTER streaming and airplay, just take a look at this week's chart:

#1 Ed Sheeran "Shape of You" (115,000 downloads sold, 33.3 million U.S. streams, 130 million in audience on Radio)

#2 Migos "Bad and Boujee" (41,000 downloads sold, 47.3 million U.S. streams, 59 million in audience on Radio)

* #1 ROCK SONG *
#43 Imagine Dragons "Believer" (48,000 downloads sold, 3.8 million U.S. streams, 6 million in audience on Radio)

#89 Mariah Carey "I Don't" (15,000 downloads sold, 5.3 million U.S. streams, 3 million in audience on Radio)

The #1 rock song in the U.S is #43 on the Hot 100 this week, there's no other rock song on the whole Top 100, it had great downloads (it was released on Itunes last week) but the numbers on streams and radio are anemic, just like any other rock song nowadays. It will go out of the Hot 100 next week for sure.

Ed Sheeran's #1 song had more streaming this week in the U.S than Honky Tonk Women, Jumpin' Jack Flash, Tumbling Dice and Miss You, COMBINED, on 3 YEARS.
If we take the Top 3 Stones' songs with more streams in the U.S (Paint It Black, Gimme Shelter and SFTD - about 80 million U.S. streams combined in over 3 years) Ed Sheeran's new song reached that mark during the first 10 days of streams on January and is over 200 million streams by now, only in the U.S.

How can a rock song reach HALF of this numbers, hell, 1/3 of this numbers on 2017?
Impossible.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-02-15 04:08 by georgelicks.

Date: February 15, 2017 02:39

Uh... that was my quote you put with that kook's name.

I think BS or SMU would be huge... in context. I'm going by now, you're going by what's already been available for years. It's different.

Date: February 15, 2017 04:20

You're right about the quote, its fixed now.

About "huge in contest", well we can't compare peaking at #2 for Start Me Up on 1981 with peaking at #43 for Start Me Up on 2017, in contest it's great to see a rock song at #43 when no one stream or play a rock song in big numbers, but a #43 hit today has no impact at all when the #1 song the same week has 10-15 times more streams or radio play.

Posted by: liddas ()
Date: November 22, 2018 17:55

Ipod shuffle played Jagger's 1986 I'm ringing: isn't the verse very similar to Doom & Gloom chorus?

C

Date: November 22, 2018 18:04

liddas
Ipod shuffle played Jagger's 1986 I'm ringing: isn't the verse very similar to Doom & Gloom chorus?

C

Can't really hear the resemblance.. D&G has a descending chord sequence in the chorus? The verse on I'm ringing is ascending. But the «just give me your loving-part» is somewhat similar..

[www.youtube.com]

Posted by: liddas ()
Date: November 22, 2018 18:32

DandelionPowderman
liddas

C

Can't really hear the resemblance.. D&G has a descending chord sequence in the chorus? The verse on I'm ringing is ascending. But the «just give me your loving-part» is somewhat similar..

[www.youtube.com]

Listen to the part in ringing when Jagger sings

You can waste all my time
You can spend all my money
You can ride all the cars
Just give me your loving
Please take my life
Give me your loving

And

All I hear is doom and gloom
But when those drums go boom boom boom
And through the night your face I see
And baby take a chance - baby won't you dance with me?

C

Date: November 22, 2018 18:38

I thought of the «just give me your loving»-part as a bridge, or at least a different part than the verse (which is A-C etc?). Yes, I hear two chords in there that somewhat are resembling. The vibe and the melody line is different to my ears.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: November 22, 2018 19:45

I was about to post about being glad it's been deleted from recent setlists, but read back through thread and found this from Feb. '17.

Hairball
GRRR...this is a poor song.
Pleased and relieved it was abruptly dropped from the recent setlists.

Date: November 22, 2018 19:56

Abruptly? They played it for three tours straight 2012-2014 smiling smiley

Date: November 22, 2018 20:02

Yeah, but when they dropped it, they dropped it for good - haven't heard it since!
Maybe the wrong choice of word, but you won't be hearing it again any time soon.
Thankful the blues covers filled the void...

Date: November 22, 2018 20:03

Yeah, I prefer the blues covers, too. Although D&G sounded fresh for a while, imo.

Date: November 22, 2018 20:08

True- it was nice to have something new and original in a live setting.
Even though not the greatest Stones tune imo, it was the thought that counts.
Hoping for a new song (or two) for the new tour...

Posted by: ROLLINGSTONE ()
Date: November 22, 2018 21:15

Hairball
Yeah, but when they dropped it, they dropped it for good - haven't heard it since!
Maybe the wrong choice of word, but you won't be hearing it again any time soon.

The same fate befell Don't Stop.

"I'll be in my basement room with a needle and a spoon."

Date: November 22, 2018 21:16

ROLLINGSTONE
Hairball

The same fate befell Don't Stop.

Grateful for that as well. thumbs up

Posted by: harlem shuffle ()
Date: November 22, 2018 21:17

Doom and Gloom doesen,t work wery well live,but it is a very good song.Guitarworks live it,s no good,it,s really lame playing on this one.One More Shot is really lame,very bad somg.One of the worst fillers.Boring

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: November 22, 2018 21:50

From the two songs on GRRR! I actually prefer One More Shot. I liked Don't Stop too. I know both considered generic Stones.
But maybe that's what I like? You kind of instantly recognize the Stones DNA.

Posted by: pt99 ()
Date: November 23, 2018 01:54

two of their best

Date: November 23, 2018 03:37

Context.

There's no comparison, regardless of today's artists and the way charts work, with a great song like Brown Sugar or Start Me Up to something dire like Don't Stop or Doom And Gloom. No matter what, with streaming, etc, Brown Sugar or Start Me Up would be gargantuan, even in 2018 context, to Doom And Gloom or Don't Stop because of their quality. It's got nothing to do with old people music or whatever the age of a generation. Great is great. And they haven't done anything great since 1981.

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 4 of 5

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1704
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home