Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
OT: Elvis Costello at RAH in June.
Posted by: crawdaddy ()
Date: March 9, 2013 16:44

I know a few from IORR have seen Elvis and The Imposters with the Spinning Wheel on stage.
Got myself a good arena seat for June 6th at that lovely venue Royal Albert Hall.

Sounds realy good the setup they have for the show,playing numbers after spinning the wheel.
Anyone else going or comments on seeing Elvis play live?
winking smiley

Re: OT: Elvis Costello at RAH in June.
Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: March 9, 2013 18:53

I'm going too crawdaddy. Haven't seen Elvis since the early 80s.

Posted by: Munichhilton ()
Date: March 9, 2013 19:04

Saw Elvis in Houston 2008 last. He's a great performer with a cool set.
You will enjoy...

Date: March 9, 2013 19:43

Hope to see you there Silver Dagger. Only got the ticket yesterday row 6 right of stage.Never seen the guy play live and realy like and admire his stuff.

Little story about Elvis from the late '70's,early '80's sometime.
Where I lived in Kingston,down by the river ,one of The Attractions was living in a houseboat. His local pub that he used to have a pint or ten at was the White Hart,about 50 metres away.One Friday or Saturday night ,Elvis and The Attractions were the music act in the pub .None of the pub regulars knew about it.The band were realy popular at that time.
A pal of mine who lived nearby and knew the guy from drinking with him, said it was a great night and played all their latest hits at the time in front of about 100 people in the pub.A night to remember. Got a write up as well in the local paper.
Reminds me of that similar story with The Stones at The Half Moon at Putney. winking smiley

Date: June 4, 2013 19:25

Anybody apart from myself and Silver Dagger going to any of his 3 gigs starting tonight?
Realy looking forward to the show on Thursday and probably have a drink or 2 in one of the pubs near South Kensington tube station.
There's also a nice old pub down a cobbled street near the hall.
Always have trouble finding it. winking smiley

Posted by: paulywaul ()
Date: June 4, 2013 19:26

crawdaddy
Anybody apart from myself and Silver Dagger going to any of his 3 gigs starting tonight?
Realy looking forward to the show on Thursday and probably have a drink or 2 in one of the pubs near South Kensington tube station.

Got a row 1 in stalls block O for tomorrow Wednesday 5th ..............

[ I want to shout, but I can hardly speak ]

Date: June 4, 2013 19:38

Great seat Paul.
Sorry won't be seeing you tomorrow but hopefully meet up at Hyde Park shows for The Stones, or Ray Davies and Elvis with Elton as support. >grinning smiley<

Posted by: TeddyB1018 ()
Date: June 4, 2013 23:26

Enjoy. Elvis is a friend and my partner in a TV project with Ray Winstone. Wish I could be there.

Posted by: fredlynn19 ()
Date: June 4, 2013 23:30

saw Elvis in 1986 with the wheel in Boston at Orpheum. Epic night--actually have a boot of it--Bill Walton came up on stage to spin it. He was at peak Celtic then. Also saw the wheel and Elvis twice within last couple o years. awesome!!! I wish all bands would be as spontaneous as this. Bruce and Elvis only ones with balls. How sick would it be if Stones did this? Answer: extremely sick.

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: June 5, 2013 02:20

Just back from the show in London a few minutes ago. Brilliant. His amp blew up and it could have been terrible but he gave it an extra boost and had the audience going crazy by the end. Looking forward to the next two shows here.

By the way, "Citadel" is on the pre-show warm-up tape and I believe he's still doing "Out Of Time", though it didn't come up on the wheel tonight.

Posted by: Munichhilton ()
Date: June 5, 2013 02:25

Enjoyed Elvis just a little while back. Sting joined him onstage for a rousing version of Alison..

The man puts out quality showmanship...

Date: June 5, 2013 02:29

paulywaul
crawdaddy

Maybe see you there Pauly.

Date: June 5, 2013 09:42

Great show last night. He did I Can't Stand Up For Falling Down; Lipstick Vogue; Good Year For The Roses; Chelsea; Hi-Fidelity; Less Than Zero; Oliver's Army; The Angels Want To Wear My Red Shoes; Alison; Shipbuilding; I Want You; Watching The Detectives and many others.

Date: June 5, 2013 09:44

71Tele
paulywaul
crawdaddy

Maybe see you there Pauly.

71Tele, my e-mail address is not hidden. Drop me an e-mail with a mobile phone number you can be reached on & I'll send you a text & maybe we can arrange to meet. Alternatively, look for me HERE: Stall block O, row 1, seat 108. That's a few seats in from the edge of the stage in row 1 of the stalls on the right hand side as you're facing the stage.

Posted by: odean73 ()
Date: June 5, 2013 09:55

I went to see Elvis on friday at Birmingham synphony hall and he was really good.

Look for my earlier postings about Elvis, probably about four or five pages back by now.

did a great version of ' out of time ' and tramp the dirt down.

Date: June 5, 2013 13:46

Thanks for all the responses that gives me a pretty good idea of what an Elvis show will be like.
Realy looking forward to Thursday night after a day out in sunny London town.

Will realy make my day if he does 'Out of Time' or any other Stones song on The Spinning Wheel.

He has so many great songs that have been mentioned on the Elvis threads that I know I am in for a good night. smileys with beer

Date: June 5, 2013 14:27

He was on for 2 hours and 35 minutes.

Date: June 5, 2013 15:55

Start time on ticket says 8p.m. and no support act.
Did he come on at that time or is it safe to get to seat about 8.30 p.m. ? eye rolling smiley

Date: June 5, 2013 16:01

BTW - lots of really cheap tickets outside last night. I couldn't even give my spare one away. One guy was offering front row seats for half price.

Date: June 6, 2013 00:50

Just got back. Fabulous ........ and that's from someone who really and truly is totally unfamiliar with his material and who went along more out of curiosity than anything else. Anyone out there wavering ........... don't hesitate. Go see him tomorrow. Recommended.

Date: June 6, 2013 01:47

paulywaul
Just got back. Fabulous ........ and that's from someone who really and truly is totally unfamiliar with his material and who went along more out of curiosity than anything else. Anyone out there wavering ........... don't hesitate. Go see him tomorrow. Recommended.

Great show, huh, Paul? Sorry I missed you. I got to the show right when it started. Unfortunately almost ruined by a bunch of idiots in the next box who were using a great Elvis Costello concert as background music for their cocktail party. Idiots.

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: June 6, 2013 01:48

71Tele
paulywaul

Great show, huh, Paul? Sorry I missed you. I got to the show right when it started. Unfortunately almost ruined by a bunch of idiots in the next box who were using a great Elvis Costello concert as background music for their cocktail party. Idiots.

cocktails?

Date: June 6, 2013 02:00

StonesTod
71Tele
paulywaul

cocktails?

You know the Royal Albert has those semi-private plush red velvet boxes (you get your own door!). They serve food & booze. I had one to meself. The yahoos in the next one yapped their way through "Almost Blue", "Shipbuilding" and "Everyday I Write The Book". When the rocking songs were played, they just talked louder. However this was partially alleviated by Steve Nieve climbing the stairs to the big pipe organ to finish out "peace, Love & Understanding" at the end of the show. Spectacular.

Date: June 6, 2013 02:02

crawdaddy
Did he come on at that time or is it safe to get to seat about 8.30 p.m. ? eye rolling smiley

No, he's starting at 8:05. You don't want to miss the beginning.

Date: June 6, 2013 07:26

71Tele
paulywaul

Sorry to hear that, it's awful when a show is either partly or wholly ruined by other people. Hasn't happened to me very often, but it's horrible when it does. Got your e-mail thanks, but only when I got home after the show ............ was in a helluva rush yesterday and didn't have time to go home and check my e-mail before whizzing off to the RAH.

I was well impressed. As I said, Elvis Costello is not an artist I'm familiar with ... but I found the performance spellbinding. Am off to the O2 tonight, managed to get a single in the third row of the middle floor block for Rod Stewart for face value.

Date: June 6, 2013 08:49

crawdaddy

Sorry i have only just read your post, he was more or less on time.

Good to read that it was a good show apart from the cocktail lot.

Date: June 7, 2013 11:58

What a terrific show last night.
Got there about 8.10 p.m. and he was on. Waited on staircase leading up to front of arena.
So close ,it almost felt as if the stairs were leading up to the stage.
Never seen him play before but still buzzin about the show this morning.

Took a bit of time for the audience to start dancing around ,but the stalls next to me and a few people around me started getting into it.

All his great hits and a lot more besides.
Bonnie Raitte came on stage ,but only for a chat and spinning the wheel.
So many highlights but the encore with Chelsea,Olivers Army and Pump it Up and a couple more got everyone dancing and cheering.
Not familiar with a few of the songs during the nearly 3 hour show,but gonna get a couple of his CD's as soon as I can.
Go and see him if you get the chance. winking smiley

Date: June 7, 2013 12:06

crawdaddy
Got there about 8.10 p.m. and he was on. Waited on staircase leading up to front of arena.

Took a bit of time for the audience to start dancing around ,but the stalls next to me and a few people around me started getting into it.

So many highlights but the encore with Chelsea,Olivers Army and Pump it Up and a couple more got everyone dancing and cheering.
Not familiar with a few of the songs during the nearly 3 hour show,but gonna get a couple of his CD's as soon as I can.

Bonnie Raitt ? Extraordinary, I've got a ticket to see her at the RAH on the 27th of this month. Can't wait.

Date: June 7, 2013 12:22

Bonnie and Elvis go way back ,by the way the conversation was going talking about Nashville.
Only saw her on BBC breakfast that morning or the day before,showing her playing on The Old Grey Whistle Test in the '70's and talking about her life.
Shame she didn't pick up a guitar and join in the show.

Date: June 7, 2013 12:25

crawdaddy

Glad you enjoyed it, i must admit i am not too familiar with some of his music, but still came away buzzing from the show.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2046
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home