Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

OT: Apple Jam from All Things Must Pass...
Posted by: tomk ()
Date: February 28, 2013 07:36

In the old days (there's that term again), most of us dismissed it.
But I put it on the other day, having not listened to it for a while, and I really enjoyed it, for what it is. Good stuff. It's mostly Clapton, but...

Re: OT: Apple Jam from All Things Must Pass...
Posted by: tatters ()
Date: February 28, 2013 07:40

"Out Of The Blue" is very good. With Bobby Keys adding a few nice touches, it's definitely a close cousin of CYHMK.

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: February 28, 2013 08:09

Katzenjammer

smoking smiley

2 1 2 0

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: February 28, 2013 08:36

It's Johnny's Birthday is reminiscent of the playout jam from Abbey Road's The End, and Thanks For The Pepperoni and Out Of The Blue are verging on Stones territory in terms of heavy rocking jams. A pity The Traveling Wilburys weren't thinking more along these lines.

Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: February 28, 2013 09:56

I @#$%& love the Apple Jam from All Things Must Pass. I can see back then it just being filler, but listening to it now thats a hell of some amazing musicians in the same studio playing some great material.

Posted by: Glam Descendant ()
Date: February 28, 2013 10:19

I believe if had only leaked as a bootleg rather than a legitimate release, it would be legendary. I seem to recall that when I got it on CD, the songs were in a different order. -- anyone know why?

Posted by: bluesinc. ()
Date: February 28, 2013 11:16

Glam Descendant
I believe if had only leaked as a bootleg rather than a legitimate release, it would be legendary. I seem to recall that when I got it on CD, the songs were in a different order. -- anyone know why?

because harrison resequenced it when he prepared the album for cd, the new sequencing he said, was original intended but nut used in the end

Posted by: Roll73 ()
Date: February 28, 2013 12:15

stonehearted
It's Johnny's Birthday is reminiscent of the playout jam from Abbey Road's The End, and Thanks For The Pepperoni and Out Of The Blue are verging on Stones territory in terms of heavy rocking jams. A pity The Traveling Wilburys weren't thinking more along these lines.

A pity? Travelling Wilburys were great. Why would you want to ruin that with overlong, bloated, meandering, cocaine-fueled rock jams.

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: February 28, 2013 14:22

Love a nice thick spread of Apple Jam! Great, and unique addition to a triple album. I have always said Out of the Blue could have been a genesis of CYHMK. Great moody jam. Yeah, Clapton is all over Apple Jam, but so is George and Dave Mason. It's Johnny's B'day was a tape he made for Lennon's b'day. On the FM show, The Lost Lennon Tapes there was a cool segment on the different tapes sent to Lennon for his B'day. Janis Joplin, I recall, had a very cool one. Love the inner sleeves of the album with the different color sleeves and the cool jar of Apple Jam on the sleeve. Such an amazing album, my favorite of the solo albums.

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: February 28, 2013 16:40

whitem8
Love a nice thick spread of Apple Jam! Great, and unique addition to a triple album. I have always said Out of the Blue could have been a genesis of CYHMK. Great moody jam. Yeah, Clapton is all over Apple Jam, but so is George and Dave Mason. It's Johnny's B'day was a tape he made for Lennon's b'day. On the FM show, The Lost Lennon Tapes there was a cool segment on the different tapes sent to Lennon for his B'day. Janis Joplin, I recall, had a very cool one. Love the inner sleeves of the album with the different color sleeves and the cool jar of Apple Jam on the sleeve. Such an amazing album, my favorite of the solo albums.

I also love everything around and with this triple album, except for the music itselfs on record 3....no fun as pistols use to put it....

2 1 2 0

Posted by: bluesinc. ()
Date: February 28, 2013 17:42

just listened to out of the blue, reminds me of cyhmk but also of art of dying, so maybe it´s closer to aod and the sax reminds us of cyhmk

Posted by: Turning To Gold ()
Date: February 28, 2013 18:10

It's great house cleaning music, spring cleaning, or working on something, painting a room, hanging pictures, rearranging furniture, fixing a table or door -- great music for project stuff. Open the windows, put it on really loud, get a buzz going and do something creative around the house. Step out on the porch for a smoke and it still sounds awesome in the next room!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-02-28 18:11 by Turning To Gold.

Posted by: drbryant ()
Date: February 28, 2013 18:22

I haven't listened to it since I was 13 years old.

Posted by: runaway ()
Date: February 28, 2013 19:12

All Things Must Pass... 3 Vinyl box set with a great poster of George.
Apple Jam; It's music that should be played loud, open the door and sit outside with some friends and have a drink

Posted by: GRNRBITW ()
Date: February 28, 2013 20:05

When the 20th anniversary edition of Derek & the Dominoes came out it included a disc of long jams that were reminiscient of some of these Apple jams....good stuff when in that kinda mood.

Posted by: loog droog ()
Date: February 28, 2013 20:45

GRNRBITW
When the 20th anniversary edition of Derek & the Dominoes came out it included a disc of long jams that were reminiscient of some of these Apple jams....good stuff when in that kinda mood.

While All Things Must Pass was a hit when released, I don't think the "Apple Jam" disc really contributed much to the album as a whole.

Had those tracks--like those added to the Layla box set--instead been included as "bonus" material in an anniversary edition many years later it wouldn't have turned the album into a 3-record set. That was a little self-indulgent.

Date: February 28, 2013 21:40

loog droog
GRNRBITW

While All Things Must Pass was a hit when released, I don't think the "Apple Jam" disc really contributed much to the album as a whole.

Had those tracks--like those added to the Layla box set--instead been included as "bonus" material in an anniversary edition many years later it wouldn't have turned the album into a 3-record set. That was a little self-indulgent.

can an album be self-indulgent?

Posted by: loog droog ()
Date: February 28, 2013 23:18

GRNRBITW
loog droog
GRNRBITW

When it reaches 3 discs, yes.

Posted by: Munichhilton ()
Date: February 28, 2013 23:19

loog droog
GRNRBITW
loog droog
GRNRBITW

So where does that place a 5 course meal?

Date: February 28, 2013 23:55

Roll73
stonehearted

A pity? Travelling Wilburys were great. Why would you want to ruin that with overlong, bloated, meandering, cocaine-fueled rock jams.

That is precisely the formula that resulted in Exile On Main Street.

Date: March 1, 2013 00:08

Munichhilton
loog droog
GRNRBITW
loog droog
GRNRBITW

I dunno - my courses are usually 7 - a six-pack and a burrito. I never considered that particularly self-indulgent.

Date: March 1, 2013 00:43

loog droog
GRNRBITW

The only reason All Things Must Pass became a 3- rather than 2-record album was because Lennon and McCartney were being so self-indulgent with space on those late 60s Beatles albums, the period during which Harrison wrote the 16 songs for All Things Must Pass (some early versions of Let It Down and 107 takes of the title track can be heard as Beatle versions from the Get Back sessions).

Date: March 1, 2013 01:18

GRNRBITW
Munichhilton
loog droog
GRNRBITW
loog droog
GRNRBITW

I dunno - my courses are usually 7 - a six-pack and a burrito. I never considered that particularly self-indulgent.

six pack? Is it a work night?

Date: March 1, 2013 01:34

Munichhilton
GRNRBITW
Munichhilton
loog droog
GRNRBITW
loog droog
GRNRBITW

Six pack of liters....does that help?

Date: March 1, 2013 01:37

GRNRBITW
Munichhilton
GRNRBITW
Munichhilton
loog droog
GRNRBITW
loog droog
GRNRBITW

More. I need you to do more.

Date: March 1, 2013 02:09

Munichhilton
GRNRBITW
Munichhilton
GRNRBITW
Munichhilton
loog droog
GRNRBITW
loog droog
GRNRBITW

liters of mickey's malt liquor?

Date: March 1, 2013 02:20

GRNRBITW
Munichhilton
GRNRBITW
Munichhilton
GRNRBITW
Munichhilton
loog droog
GRNRBITW
loog droog
GRNRBITW

liters of mickey's malt liquor?

Whoa...okay, now I need you to slow down a little. Damn this is hard to calibrate...

Posted by: Roll73 ()
Date: March 1, 2013 12:00

stonehearted
Roll73
stonehearted

That is precisely the formula that resulted in Exile On Main Street.

Yes - but the Stones didn't release the 'jams'. They released the honed down, 'sculpted' results of them. Big difference. And Travelling Wilbury's was never about that kind of approach - and all the better for it. IMO smiling smiley

Posted by: tomk ()
Date: October 20, 2013 06:24

Since there's a lot of talk about Ginger Baker recently...
He's on an Apple Jam track, and he's not doing the whole bombastic drum thing. Mind you, it's's only a jam. I'm really enjoying that Apple Jam disc.

Posted by: nightskyman ()
Date: October 20, 2013 06:47

Yes, a interesting listen. I particularly like 'Thanks for the pepperoni' from the 'jam' session. And 'It's Johnny's Birthday' though silly is quite fun.

But I must admit it has been long time since I've listened to 'Apple Jam.' (Actually I only listen to the songs from the first two discs).

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1340
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home