Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Rolling Stones exhibit at the R&RHOF
Posted by: NoCode0680 ()
Date: May 25, 2013 14:44

How long is it going to be there? I'm not sure I'll get the chance to go, but I'll try. I haven't been there since '96, so as you can see, I don't get to Cleveland that often. When I was there they had a Led Zeppelin photo exhibit going on. I don't remember a whole lot of Stones stuff. I remember they had one of Mick's little leotards. And I do mean little, I was amazed by how small it was. I was only 16 and was like "Jagger is little kid small". And I remember they had that Annie Leibovitz photo of the Glimmers that was on the cover of RS magazine in '75 hanging up somewhere. There may have been more, but I wasn't a crazy big Stones fan yet, I wouldn't see them live until the next year. So I wasn't really seeking out Stones stuff. I was a big enough fan to buy a vinyl reissue of Hot Rocks from the gift shop though.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-05-25 14:48 by NoCode0680.

Re: Rolling Stones Exhibit Opening May 24 at The Rock and Roll Hall of Fame
Posted by: bye bye johnny ()
Date: May 25, 2013 18:11

Rock Hall's 'Rolling Stones: 50 Years of Satisfaction' has its highlights, but fails to connect (review)

By Emmet Smith, The Plain Dealer
on May 24, 2013

The Rolling Stones have been called a museum piece for years. With the opening of the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame and Museum's "Rolling Stones: 50 Years of Satisfaction" exhibit today, it's finally true.

The Hall's big summer exhibit this year coincides with the Stones' much-hyped "50 & Counting" tour, which, sadly, won't be stopping in Cleveland. Still, it begs the question: If you can still go see the Rolling Stones--experience the actual Rolling Stones--why would anyone head to a museum to do so?

The exhibit does offer a few things that you won't get from a concert. Chief among them is a series of excellent iPad-based interactive apps that illustrate the Stones' early influences, the Jagger-Richards songwriting formula and the ways in which the band incorporated other genres into their sound.

One features a visual breakdown of what disco's "four-on-the-floor" rhythm is and how Charlie Watts blended that with traditional rock elements for the Stones' 1978 hit "Miss You."

A music theory lesson like that might kill the vibe at a stadium show. But in the context of the exhibit, it should prove enlightening for Stones fans.

Other smart touches include giant, era-appropriate Stones posters that serve as the backdrop for each case of artifacts and hand-written notes from Mick Jagger to the band's manager giving explicit instructions as to how Atlantic should handle the release of "Tattoo You" which serve to highlight Jagger's role in the business of the band.

And you certainly should check out original poster from the Stones' early standing gigs at the Thames Hotel.

Still, you can't help leaving feeling a bit underwhelmed. This is the (self-declared) "Greatest Rock 'n' Roll Band in the World" we're talking about.

It's 50 years of rock history. It's Mick and Keith and Charlie. It's Brian and Mick and Bill. It's "Exile" and "Sympathy." It's "Let it Bleed" and "Street Fighting Man." It's the story of rock 'n' roll from the blues to the present and it should feel bigger than this.

The biggest monitors are the 42" screens. Many people have bigger televisions in their living rooms. It takes up two floors of the Rock Hall--including the sixth with it's soaring ceiling height--but doesn't use that space to communicate how much larger than life the Stones were--and still are.

And that's the trick, isn't it? But to tell the story, you have to demystify it a bit, strip it down to it's pieces and parts so that it can be digested.

So it goes with rock 'n' roll. Especially as the Stones played it, rock is relatively simple music. But those simple chords and basic rhythms come with a bit of magic, something that gets lost when you break it down to 12-bar blues or back beats.

And that's the problem with this telling of the Rolling Stones' story. In the unraveling of the story, it gets demystified, broken down to human-scale and in the end, you're left looking at some old guitars and costumes entombed behind glass cases while the Stones are still out with their road cases.

And their magic.

[www.cleveland.com]

Posted by: Munichhilton ()
Date: May 25, 2013 19:37

Love is a mystery they can't demystify...no....

Posted by: RoughJusticeOnYa ()
Date: May 26, 2013 12:28

bye bye johnny

By Emmet Smith, The Plain Dealer
on May 24, 2013

It's 50 years of rock history. It's Mick and Keith and Charlie. It's Brian and Mick and Bill.

He left out Ronnie.
Disgraceful...

Posted by: Title5Take1 ()
Date: June 6, 2013 09:44

Review of the exhibit >>> [gazette.com]

Re: RRHOF Rolling Stones Exhibit Opening May 24
Posted by: Thrylan ()
Date: June 6, 2013 09:57

schillid
Kurt
How cool would it be to have the Stones play in Cleveland at some point during the run of the exhibit?

Ummm... They should still have the exhibit.

Of the five shows I have attended, four have been in Cleveland. In my opinion, you can't beat Cleveland for any concert, much less the Stones. With the exhibit it's a no brainer. I am betting the farm on a fall leg and a Cleveland show. I have been fairly lucky and generally had good setlists and hot performances there. If you're traveling any kind of major distance, I strongly suggest holding off and seeing if a fall leg is announced and hooking it up. Of added interest is Akron is just south of Cleveland, and thats a possible, small venue/ surprise gig spot. Also, they will no doubt be at the HOF themselves at some point. Last time I went, Springsteen was the featured artist and it was well done. I am sure they will pull out all the stops for the greatest RnR band in the world!

Rock and Roll Hall of Fame - Cleveland
Posted by: kovach ()
Date: July 8, 2013 19:16

Went last week, again, after my first visit about 11 years ago.

I honestly didn't remember a whole lot from the first time other than the full Allman Brothers set of instruments and clothing and the special exhibit then of John Lennon.

It's honestly kind of strange as it doesn't really coincide with the inductees, which, as I understand it is only a loose affiliation with the actual Hall of Fame Museum. All that really connects the two is, well, it's Rock and Roll, and a film showing inductees year by year (and in the same building a wall with an autograph of each).

There's some Stones content outside of the special exhibit, clothes, an equipment case, and some running videos.

The special exhibit is good, you walk through a huge mouth like their logo to get in, and you instantly hear Sympathy...and then it broken down to just vocals which is interesting. Some nice displays of clothes and equipment over 2 floors, with many video displays. Plus, the outside plaza and lobby inside is loaded with tongues of all varieties, as well as a huge picture of the current version of the Rolling Stones and some other nice artwork.

A little disappointed in that they didn't have a book for sale of the special exhibit like they did for the Lennon one, or even an updated book of the whole Hall of Fame (3rd edition was current as of 2007; you'd think for a $30 paperback they could update it annually!).

Certainly worth a visit. Is it worth flying around the world for? Maybe not. Is it worth a day's drive? Certainly.

Re: Rock and Roll Hall of Fame - Cleveland
Posted by: Godxofxrock9 ()
Date: July 8, 2013 19:54

well i live in columbus time to drive out

Date: July 8, 2013 20:16

Godxofxrock9

Enjoy all that construction on I-71!

BTW, I think you have more state troopers than the rest of the country combined...I've never seen so many patrols manning the highways as I'd seen heading towards Columbus on I-70 and then towards Cleveland on I-71! All had the latest laser equipment as well as I could see how they were set up and occasionally my radar detector would pick up some laser scatter...

Posted by: Godxofxrock9 ()
Date: July 8, 2013 20:24

kovach
Godxofxrock9

BTW, I think you have more state troopers than the rest of the country combined...I've never seen so many patrols manning the highways as I'd seen heading towards Columbus on I-70 and then towards Cleveland on I-71! All had the latest laser equipment as well as I could see how they were set up and occasionally my radar detector would pick up some laser scatter...
There is always a bunch of @#$%& construction in this state

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: July 8, 2013 22:08

kovach
Godxofxrock9

I hate driving through Ohio, knowing those pricks are breathing down your neck. Still, it might be fun to take a road trip to Cleveland.

Posted by: headly123 ()
Date: July 8, 2013 22:12

I went a few weeks ago. To be honest I wasn't really all that impressed . It had some pretty cool things on the lower level . A kind of through the decades thing . It wasn't as in depth as I thought it would be. The Stones exhibit I was really disappointed in. My reason being that if you are a real fan which I consider myself to be then you have seen and heard just about everything in the exhibit .It had Jaggers jumpsuit from the 72 tour and some or band members clothes . A couple of guitars. The did have a little wing there where one side was the Beatles and the other was the Stones. I actually found those two more interesting. Not trying to piss on the place and I do think they keep changing things up . If you have some time it is worth a look but I wouldn't go way out of my way to see it. My wife works for the Airlines and we flew in for the day to see . Don't think I would do it again. Plus it is in CLEVELAND . I mean Jesus who came up that that god for saken location.tongue sticking out smiley

Date: July 8, 2013 23:16

kovach
A little disappointed in that they didn't have a book for sale of the special exhibit like they did for the Lennon one

Ok...I have to take that back, it appears they do have a book for sale on their website but I certainly didn't see it for sale in their gift shop (which is huge!).

Posted by: Kurt ()
Date: July 8, 2013 23:18

I went to the preview and really enjoyed it.
(Old blog post here...Rock Hall Stones Preview)

Here is a link to buy the Exhibit Guide
Rolling Stones Exhibit Guide

It must not have been in stock yet...

The Rock Hall is cool.
If you're close, you should definitely check it out!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-07-08 23:18 by Kurt.

Date: July 8, 2013 23:19

headly123
I went a few weeks ago. To be honest I wasn't really all that impressed . It had some pretty cool things on the lower level . A kind of through the decades thing . It wasn't as in depth as I thought it would be. The Stones exhibit I was really disappointed in. My reason being that if you are a real fan which I consider myself to be then you have seen and heard just about everything in the exhibit .It had Jaggers jumpsuit from the 72 tour and some or band members clothes . A couple of guitars. The did have a little wing there where one side was the Beatles and the other was the Stones. I actually found those two more interesting. Not trying to piss on the place and I do think they keep changing things up . If you have some time it is worth a look but I wouldn't go way out of my way to see it. My wife works for the Airlines and we flew in for the day to see . Don't think I would do it again. Plus it is in CLEVELAND . I mean Jesus who came up that that god for saken location.tongue sticking out smiley

Which is kind of why I specified it's worth a day's drive but maybe not more than that.

We stayed downtown Cleveland across from the East 4th Street area which had some fun places to eat and drink at and rather enjoyed ourselves, watched fireworks over the lake on Independence Day, went to see the Tall Ships festival (named after a reference in a Shakespeare play I believe).

Although I have to agree with you on the location of it being Cleveland. They make a lot of Alan Freed there as for the location, but I can't imagine a better place for it than Memphis.

Posted by: bye bye johnny ()
Date: July 10, 2013 22:55

Sweepstakes ends July 11, 2013 17:00

[www.facebook.com]

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: July 10, 2013 23:26

Any Brian clothing? I was always fascinated by my two visits there to see a lonely mellotron attributed to the Rolling Stones and used in the 1960s. After recently reading accounts of Brian's last, and a few days later, it appears that Brian had a mellotron at the house and it was eventually shipped off, with what hadn't yet been burned, to Brian's family. I wondered if that's the instrument that sits in the HOF.

R'n'R Hall of Fame
Posted by: Marhsall ()
Date: July 11, 2013 23:56

I'm sure everyone knows The Stones are the main exhibit.

I'm making the trip in a few weeks!

Has anyone here been?

Just seeing what you thought, if you had enough time to get through it in one day, etc..etc...

I plan on maxing out my memory card w/ pics, so when I get back I will have alot to post!

If you are looking for a particular pic from the exhibit let me know & ill try,to get a good one for you

"Well my heavy throbbers itchin' just to lay a solid rhythm down"

Re: R'n'R Hall of Fame
Posted by: Lien ()
Date: July 12, 2013 00:15

Maybe you can take a look in the Art Collins collection ?

[catalog.rockhall.com]

Additionally, there is material related to Collins' association with the Rolling Stones as vice-president, and then-president of Rolling Stones Records, most notably video footage that can be found in Series IV.

Re: R'n'R Hall of Fame
Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: July 12, 2013 00:40

Hi Marshall. Enjoy your visit! There's a new Stones item on exhibit that hasn't been there in previous years--a recently discovered letter The Stones signed and sent to Carlos Santana asking for permission to use his performance from Altamont in the Gimme Shelter movie (then under the working title of Love In Vain).

I started a thread on this earlier today, which I invite you to read: [www.iorr.org]

This letter will be on exhibit at the RnR HOF only until March 2014, so I would encourage you to snap a photo while you are there, because it likely won't be there next time you visit.

Cheers!

Keith Richards' guitars on the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame Exhibition
Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: August 31, 2013 00:17

The Rock and Roll Hall of Fame account on YouTube posted this today:

And there's these other 3 videos on their account with Stones-related stuff:

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2013-08-31 00:34 by Cristiano Radtke.

Re: Keith Richards' guitars on the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame Exhibition
Posted by: ChrisM ()
Date: August 31, 2013 01:21

Interesting stuff. Thanks!

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: August 31, 2013 02:26

The Stones in the Park book by Richard Havers shows that there were other Jones beggars billboard things on the other side, but at front of the stage faceing the audience.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: August 31, 2013 03:08

From the last pages of Mark Hayward's wonderful book ... but no
details of where or when photo of Beggar panels was taken .....

THE ROLLING STONES On Camera, Off Guard 1963-69 --- Mark Hayward

ROCKMAN

Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: August 31, 2013 03:11

I'd love to see this. The being in Cleveland thing is unfortunate. Not putting down Cleveland. Just a long way from the west coast.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2456
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home