Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

OT: Former Allman Bros. guitarist Dan Toler dies of ALS
Posted by: Mongoose ()
Date: February 27, 2013 00:30

RIP, "Dangerous Dan" Toler.

Saw him with the ABB in 1981 here in Atlanta, at the Fox Theater.

Terrible disease, ALS.

Peace and love to family and friends.

[www.huffingtonpost.com]

Re: OT: Former Allman Bros. guitarist Dan Toler dies of ALS
Posted by: dcba ()
Date: February 27, 2013 00:50

if you fear ALS staying away from B-hepatitis vaccine is a good start... thumbs up

Posted by: DoomandGloom ()
Date: February 27, 2013 02:40

He was an awesome guitarist. The Allmans never welcomed him back to their stage.

Posted by: Sipuncula ()
Date: February 27, 2013 03:49

dcba
if you fear ALS staying away from B-hepatitis vaccine is a good start... thumbs up

I hate to respond, but I can't just let that slide. We're already off-topic, so I guess it's not a big deal.

Source?

Let's just say there was a major correlation between vaccine X and disease Y, and you have 1/100 chance of dying from disease X (if you don't take the vaccine) and 1/1000 chance of dying from disease Y (as a result of taking vaccine X, but you won't get disease X).

Are you better off taking the vaccine?

I bet the ratio of (Hep B-vaccinated people:ALS sufferers who have taken the vaccine) or (disease X: disease Y, vacc X) is at least a few orders of magnitude greater than 10:1. The Hepatitis B vaccination was required (in the US, at least) for college admissions as far back as the early '90s when I applied. Has there been a major spike in ALS since the vaccine was introduced? I'd be interested to know; I've not heard about that.

Keith claims to have come down with Hep. C(?) ~1967 and was cured--"Life". Must be somewhat true, because I can't imagine that his liver wouldn't be hamburger by now considering that plus the booze intake. Just my opinion, but I think it caught up with him by 2007. You don't get a paunch like that overnight unless you are dealing with some liver issues. I noticed The Bloat's first appearance at one of the Pirates of the Carribean premieres.

I'm sure there are some doctors around here who might be able to chime in; I'm just an old medical student, but my critical thinking skills are intact, and I call bullshit.

Date: February 27, 2013 05:04

I thought you caught it from old baseball gloves...

Posted by: angee ()
Date: February 27, 2013 05:55

Is anyone going to see the Allman Bros. at the Beacon this year?

I'm at a conference in NYC this weekend, going.

~"Love is Strong"~

Date: February 27, 2013 06:03

angee
Is anyone going to see the Allman Bros. at the Beacon this year?

I'm at a conference in NYC this weekend, going.
Yes I always go at least once. Gregg is a shell of his usual ghostly self and Warren directs the show but plays second guitar to Derek all night. They'll stick some irrelevant deep covers in there and march out guests you've never heard of from their fringe bands. Still as with The Stones there will be some magic moments. Dicky Betts is The Mick Taylor this year and may accept Derek's open invitation. This will be their last summer,I guess, I've been a fan forever and have gotten that vibe... The Rolling Stones will outlast them...

Posted by: More Hot Rocks ()
Date: February 27, 2013 15:50

The last time I saw Dan was with Dickie's band in 2003. What a great guitarist. RIP.

Posted by: R ()
Date: February 27, 2013 15:50

I saw Toler and David Goldflies with Dickey's band a few years ago and they were just off the hook, AMAZING! Of course drunk or sober Dickey is apparently such a bastard he can't keep a band together.

I knew people in the '70s who attended college with, or somehow knew, Goldflies and Toler and apparently the story of Dickey discovering them in a Cincinnati bar are true.

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: February 27, 2013 16:18

Sad to hear about Dan.

I wish Dickie would get it together and play at least some with the ABB. I saw him smokin' hot with them back in the 70's. Piano player was pretty good too.

Cool place to visit for ABB fans:

[www.thebighousemuseum.com]

Posted by: kovach ()
Date: February 27, 2013 20:40

Elmo Lewis
Sad to hear about Dan.

I wish Dickie would get it together and play at least some with the ABB. I saw him smokin' hot with them back in the 70's. Piano player was pretty good too.

Cool place to visit for ABB fans:

[www.thebighousemuseum.com]

After reading Greg Almann's book I don't ever see that happening.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2082
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home