Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 3 of 4
Re: Bill Wyman wanted proper Rolling Stones reunion
Date: February 25, 2013 19:42

24FPS
duke richardson
saltoftheearth
Lien
Bill Wyman was ''disappointed'' with his role in the Rolling Stones' 50th anniversary. The group's former bassist accompanied the band on two tracks, 'Honky Tonk Women' and 'It's Only Rock 'n' Roll (But I Like It)' , at their commemorative London shows last November,
I was disappointed that he only played bass on two of the most trivial songs in the repertoire. Certainly no songs to shine on.

HTW "trivial" ? hmmm..

It makes more sense when you realize Bill didn't play on the studio version of IORR and for some reason they really downplayed the bass on Honky Tonk Women. I would say the bass on HTW is indistinct, and never been a highlight to the song.

Er, LYL and Ya Yas??

Posted by: DoomandGloom ()
Date: February 25, 2013 20:13

DandelionPowderman
24FPS
duke richardson
saltoftheearth
Lien
Bill Wyman was ''disappointed'' with his role in the Rolling Stones' 50th anniversary. The group's former bassist accompanied the band on two tracks, 'Honky Tonk Women' and 'It's Only Rock 'n' Roll (But I Like It)' , at their commemorative London shows last November,
I was disappointed that he only played bass on two of the most trivial songs in the repertoire. Certainly no songs to shine on.

HTW "trivial" ? hmmm..

It makes more sense when you realize Bill didn't play on the studio version of IORR and for some reason they really downplayed the bass on Honky Tonk Women. I would say the bass on HTW is indistinct, and never been a highlight to the song.

Er, LYL and Ya Yas??
Yeah, i can't imagine Bill sitting backstage while Miss You is playing. Rehearsal or not these guys are winging it at all times, I don't understand the fuss. All this drool about Darryl being loyal, if they really dug him they'd let him play a bigger role... Fact is if you leave The Rolling Stones they'll make you suffer, the curse of Brian perhaps.

Date: February 25, 2013 20:26

It's unusual for the Stones even to do this...

Let's see what happens come summer, though.

Posted by: RollingStonesRob ()
Date: February 26, 2013 10:51

I was hoping for a lengthy set with Bill and Mick Taylor. I was hoping to see something like in 1969. The documentary Gimme Shelter I saw years ago and thought was one of the best documentaries of all time.

htttp://www.last.fm/user/rocknrollcola

Date: February 26, 2013 10:57

DoomandGloom
DandelionPowderman
24FPS
duke richardson
saltoftheearth
Lien

HTW "trivial" ? hmmm..

Er, LYL and Ya Yas??
Yeah, i can't imagine Bill sitting backstage while Miss You is playing. Rehearsal or not these guys are winging it at all times, I don't understand the fuss. All this drool about Darryl being loyal, if they really dug him they'd let him play a bigger role... Fact is if you leave The Rolling Stones they'll make you suffer, the curse of Brian perhaps.

I suspect Miss You isn't Bill's favorite. Whip or Rip This Joint (both rehearsed in France) is more up his alley, I presume smiling smiley

Posted by: rambler44 ()
Date: February 26, 2013 21:10

I am trying to figure out who would have taken a harder stance on Bill and Mick T performing more songs. Keith has always taken a hard line stance against anyone quitting the Stones and has said some very harsh things about Mick T leaving over the years. Then again I can see Mick being concerned about the quality of Bill and Mick T's playing.

Or perhaps in a rare moment of agreement these days amongst the Glimmer Twins, since both Bill and Mick T quit, this was all they were getting!

Posted by: TeddyB1018 ()
Date: February 26, 2013 23:14

I don't think either of them were very high on Bill rejoining full time. They didn't get on that well at the rehearsals in New Jersey. I don't know what the attitude was about Mick Taylor, if they have seriously considered him returning as a regular, but Jagger was concerned with his appearance and stamina. They were pleased with his performances but I don't know if they are considering more.

Posted by: Munichhilton ()
Date: February 26, 2013 23:16

TeddyB1018
They were pleased with his performances but I don't know if they are considering more.

Don't beat yourself up Teddy...none of us know

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: February 26, 2013 23:16

New Jersey rehearsals? When was that?

Posted by: Bliss ()
Date: February 27, 2013 00:20

>>>They were pleased with his performances but I don't know if they are considering more.

Glad to hear that.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: February 27, 2013 05:53

TeddyB1018
I don't think either of them were very high on Bill rejoining full time. They didn't get on that well at the rehearsals in New Jersey. I don't know what the attitude was about Mick Taylor, if they have seriously considered him returning as a regular, but Jagger was concerned with his appearance and stamina. They were pleased with his performances but I don't know if they are considering more.

This 'Bill at the rehearsals in New Jersey' keeps getting repeated. As far as we know Bill was never in New Jersey, and hasn't stepped foot in the states for over 10 years. Can we get this straightened out once and for all?

Posted by: DoomandGloom ()
Date: February 27, 2013 05:56

24FPS
TeddyB1018

This 'Bill at the rehearsals in New Jersey' keeps getting repeated. As far as we know Bill was never in New Jersey, and hasn't stepped foot in the states for over 10 years. Can we get this straightened out once and for all?
Yeah people seem to be getting the two guests mixxed up.

Date: February 27, 2013 09:41

It will be highly appreciated if you can shed more light on Bill in New Jersey-rehearsals, Teddy.

Posted by: TeddyB1018 ()
Date: February 27, 2013 09:55

I was told flat out Bill was at the New Jersey studio when they were filming for Crossfire Hurricane. I was also told that he left early. If my information is confused or conflated, I apologize, but that was the word I was given by a reliable source who was present. It doesn't seem to me that my source would have been confused by the jam earlier in the year in London, which we know Bill was part of.

Date: February 27, 2013 10:16

Thanks, Teddy. That's exactly what I thought.

Posted by: mickschix ()
Date: February 27, 2013 21:12

CARNABY, I think you nailed it! It could indeed be about practicing songs that Bill & MT would be able to play well. That might have meant excluding the war horses ( and songs they've done repeatedly for the last 5 tours!) that fill the arenas, and a lot more practice time... they would have to make way too many accomodations for them.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: February 28, 2013 00:10

I wonder if there's this childish jealousy concerning Bill. It's pretty damn obvious from this board, and comments by Bob Dylan, that Bill is the preferred bassist if no other reason than Darryl has proven to be lacking as a Rolling Stones musician. There you've got Bill Wyman, the absolute avatar of 'Miss You' available to play, and you don't let him do it, while you've got the bass player you picked on your own diddling around with a solo on 'Miss You'. I don't know if it's heartening, or depressing, to think Mick could be so rich, so famous, so Mick, and yet be so petty.

Posted by: ifyacantrockme ()
Date: February 28, 2013 05:28

Bill walked away from the band and so did Taylor. I think in regards to their current lineup and telling the others to stay at home just wasn't going to happen just to bring these two guys in for two shows. Bill doesn't want to travel outside of Europe either which doesn't help the band when the next 2 shows were in the States. They are ex-members and not in the band thus they are treated just as guests no matter how much we may want them to still be included.

Posted by: deadegad ()
Date: February 28, 2013 06:11

I love The Stones music, what a catalog of songs, but the m-fing ego thing. . .. you leave The Stones and your out forever? like it was the mafia or defecting from the Soviet Union. . .. Well, The Stones are some petty-ass cock@#$%^ers. . .. They have delivered below par performances for far too long thanks to their gutiar section.

Date: February 28, 2013 09:32

I think it's more a matter of pride than pettiness.

Understandably, Mick and Keith, creative artists, do not like being told that their current lineup and output is crap compared to the past, and they do not want advice from others (us) as to how it could be improved.

Posted by: bye bye johnny ()
Date: February 28, 2013 17:37

Bill's comments to the BBC about the "reunion":

Wyman reunited with his former band briefly for their 50th anniversary show at the O2 Arena in London.

"Very briefly, short and sweet. I thought it was going to be heavily involved but in the end they only wanted me to do two songs, they chose them," says Wyman.

"I didn't know which ones until the day before, good job I'd rehearsed them. I said, 'Do you want me to come to rehearsals?' and they said, 'You know 'em all!'

"I didn't go to America for two minutes on stage, I had more important things to do in my life.

"It was nice to do the two songs though at the O2 and the fans went mad and my daughter saw me for the first time with the Stones, so that was special.

"It was worth doing it for that reason alone."

With rumours rampant about the Stones possibly playing at this year's Glastonbury festival, would Wyman consider reuniting with them again?

"There's an old saying, once bitten twice shy," he smiles.

[www.bbc.co.uk]

Date: February 28, 2013 17:39

deadegad
I love The Stones music, what a catalog of songs, but the m-fing ego thing. . .. you leave The Stones and your out forever? like it was the mafia or defecting from the Soviet Union. . .. Well, The Stones are some petty-ass cock@#$%^ers. . .. They have delivered below par performances for far too long thanks to their gutiar section.

Which show did you attend in 2012 again?

Posted by: deadegad ()
Date: February 28, 2013 17:50

Bliss
I think it's more a matter of pride than pettiness.

Understandably, Mick and Keith, creative artists, do not like being told that their current lineup and output is crap compared to the past, and they do not want advice from others (us) as to how it could be improved.

Sorry. I get cranky regarding The Stomes sometimes because they have such a great body of work which has been poorly presented live -- and those ticket prices.

Posted by: achilles77 ()
Date: February 28, 2013 20:45

bye bye johnny

Wyman reunited with his former band briefly for their 50th anniversary show at the O2 Arena in London.

"Very briefly, short and sweet. I thought it was going to be heavily involved but in the end they only wanted me to do two songs, they chose them," says Wyman.

"I didn't know which ones until the day before, good job I'd rehearsed them. I said, 'Do you want me to come to rehearsals?' and they said, 'You know 'em all!'

"I didn't go to America for two minutes on stage, I had more important things to do in my life.

"It was nice to do the two songs though at the O2 and the fans went mad and my daughter saw me for the first time with the Stones, so that was special.

With rumours rampant about the Stones possibly playing at this year's Glastonbury festival, would Wyman consider reuniting with them again?

"There's an old saying, once bitten twice shy,"
he smiles.

[www.bbc.co.uk]

What does that mean??

Date: February 28, 2013 21:49

achilles77
bye bye johnny

he smiles.

[www.bbc.co.uk]

What does that mean??

It means he's not eager to repeat the experience.

Posted by: achilles77 ()
Date: March 1, 2013 00:14

Bliss
achilles77
bye bye johnny

he smiles.

[www.bbc.co.uk]

What does that mean??

It means he's not eager to repeat the experience.

That's kinda what I thought, but it's somewhat contradictory to wanting to do more and being disappointed by the small role at the 2012 shows. I would imagine that under the right circumstances, he would do it again. Preferably where he would do more than 2 songs per show.

He has said he enjoyed it nevertheless.

Posted by: owlbynite ()
Date: March 1, 2013 09:56

crumbling_mice
Bill likes to moan. He always moaned. Whether it was about song writing credits or Keith overdubbing his bass playing, or the type of food available on tour, or the lateness of Keith and Ronnie to rehearsals. He did ok out of the Stones, basically from nothing to international stardom and elavtion to the greatest rock n roll band in the world. He availed himself of many hundreds (modest estimate) of young girls - yes let's not ignore the elephant in the room, Bill, like others in the Stones are Paedophiles, same goes for the majority of 60's and 70's rock bands. Anyway back to Bill, and made millions financially which allowed him to live the life style of a rock star and become sated in metal detecting glory!

He then decides that he's had enough, didn;t like the flying and long tours and quits. The Stones roll on and employ Darryl Jones for the remaining decades. Bill suddenly feels hard done by beciase they didn;t ask him to play a full show! He's having a giraffe. Be grateful Bill, they only wanted you for your amp anyway.

sounds like a good synopsis of Bill's life...

Posted by: Redhotcarpet ()
Date: March 1, 2013 10:29

He availed himself of many hundreds (modest estimate) of young girls - yes let's not ignore the elephant in the room, Bill, like others in the Stones are Paedophiles, same goes for the majority of 60's and 70's rock bands.

No it doesnt. There is a difference between a teen and a child. Hebephilia has always existed and I see it more as a perversion among emperors. Polanski was served a teen on a silverplate and same goes for many of the rock stars including the Stones, of the 60s and 70s. Criminal yes but a teen is not a five year old. How young were the girls during Beatlemania? I dont like it, im not for it and frankly dont understand it but it's not rape nor Paedophilia.

It simply doesnt mean they are all paedophiles. However Glitter was one and Savile another. Pete sure seems like one.

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: March 1, 2013 12:30

Redhotcarpet
. Pete sure seems like one.

He's capable of making one's skin crawl at times, so why not?

Posted by: bobstones51 ()
Date: March 5, 2013 01:36

I have been a Stones fanatic since '64. Saw them at Hollywood Bowl in 66 and over 50 times since. Listened to many bootlegs that have incomplete songs that are superior than some released work. I know we are all getting older but while Mick Taylor and Bill are still willing to reunite, why not divide the show into modern and old songs?

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 3 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1591
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home