Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 2 of 4
Re: Bill Wyman wanted proper Rolling Stones reunion
Posted by: Rollin92 ()
Date: February 24, 2013 02:33

Truth be told I think the Stones are a dysfunctional family and in a way each member seems a bit dysfunctional because of this, every few months or so one of them says something in the press etc, it generally has little substance and blows over. Lets be honest its this dysfunctionality which has always had an appeal, hence why we follow the band.

Its Bill this time who has stuck his head above the parapet, yh we can complain about him whinging etc that he shouldn't have quit yada yada. But I don't see how his contribution to the band can be underrated or dismissed as never being needed. Truth is no one knows how different the Stones from the start would have been without Bill we can conjecture all we like, after all he was a crucial part of the band we all love. Its a matter of opinion whether or not you think he was crucial, I for one think he is horrendously underrated as a bass player, but I'm sure that if one of us met him in the street we wouldn't say to him Bill you were never needed.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-02-24 02:37 by Rollin92.

Posted by: Bliss ()
Date: February 24, 2013 09:08

I think Bill and Mick T were included, albeit in a limited way, to generate enthusiasm for the 50th anniversary events as a sop to the old fans. But the RS is Mick and Keith's business, and no one likes being told how to run their business or how it could be improved. Although they are no doubt proud of their Golden Era work, it must surely hurt that people think they did their best work 45 years ago, dismissing most of what they have done since. And so they are not 100% on board with revisiting the past, including reinstating former band members.

Posted by: backstreetboy1 ()
Date: February 24, 2013 11:14

if 2 years ago we were told wyman and taylor would be onstage with the stones again,we would of said thats crazy.now in 2012 there part of the 50th year reunion and people are still bitching,i dont get it.yes i agree,it would of been nice if they all played on the same songs,atleast 4 or so...but ya gotta give the stones a break here,what do you tell daryll jones,buzz off,he's been in the band over 20 years!!and ronnies been in the band 37 years to mick taylors's 5 years.what do you tell ronnie see you later!!as great as taylor was,he's no where near the level ronnie plays at for 3 hours(not that he cant be again).the fact that wyman didnt come to the states for 2 songs seems weird,he would of had a great time with his old mates.

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: February 24, 2013 11:47

Yeah but he didn't think it was worth his while, that pretty much says it all about him.

Posted by: satisfaction2 ()
Date: February 24, 2013 13:03

Right, Bill

Posted by: Redhotcarpet ()
Date: February 24, 2013 13:05

talkcheap
Lien
Saturday, 23 February 2013
Bill Wyman wanted proper Rolling Stones reunion
Bill Wyman was ''disappointed'' with his role in the Rolling Stones' 50th anniversary.
The group's former bassist accompanied the band on two tracks, 'Honky Tonk Women' and 'It's Only Rock 'n' Roll (But I Like It)' , at their commemorative London shows last November, and while he enjoyed the brief stint, he admits he thought his return would be on a much bigger scale.
He told The Times newspaper: ''It was fun in a way...
''In December 2011 Keith Richards called and said, 'Come on mate, why don't you have a jam with us?' Then they asked if I'd be interested in getting involved in the band for special occasions.
''I thought I would get quite heavily involved, so when they said they only wanted me to do two songs I was a bit disappointed.
''I only had one rehearsal and no sound-check so I just winged it. It was great, but I didn't want to go to America for two songs. I think they understood. Well, Charlie Watts did!''
The 76-year-old rocker - who quit the group in 1996 - also admitted he used to get ''bored to death'' when on the road with the 'Brown Sugar' hitmakers.
He said: ''You have two days of flying in a plane to the town, getting off at the airport, limousines, the hotel, you've got kids on the landing so you can't leave your room, and you sit around watching TV because that's all there is to do. I used to take photos of the rooms.
''You do the gig and for two hours on stage it's fantastic, but then you go back to the hotel and you're bored to death. You come down in the morning and the whole thing happens all over again.''
[www.tv3.ie]

Bill Wyman is probably the most boring guy in the world

That was my opinion as a teen. Now I find him the most interesting.

Posted by: kleermaker ()
Date: February 24, 2013 17:06

Bliss
I think Bill and Mick T were included, albeit in a limited way, to generate enthusiasm for the 50th anniversary events as a sop to the old fans. But the RS is Mick and Keith's business, and no one likes being told how to run their business or how it could be improved. Although they are no doubt proud of their Golden Era work, it must surely hurt that people think they did their best work 45 years ago, dismissing most of what they have done since. And so they are not 100% on board with revisiting the past, including reinstating former band members.

Which implies they're not capable to face reality. Many older people suffer from that phenomenon and so do Mick and Keith, obviously.

Posted by: GRNRBITW ()
Date: February 24, 2013 17:07

Bliss
And so they are not 100% on board with revisiting the past

And this explains them trotting out the same old 40-year old fare each tour?

Posted by: talkcheap ()
Date: February 24, 2013 20:47

71Tele
Why the HELL would they not want Bill to play the whole show if he was willing?

He is to old. Could only do two songs. Taylor one.

Posted by: BlackHat ()
Date: February 24, 2013 21:20

Anything more than two songs would mean paying him more. Never gonna happen.

Posted by: Bliss ()
Date: February 24, 2013 21:36

GRNRBITW
Bliss

I think they would prefer not to, but it's what fills arenas and stadiums.

Posted by: Carnaby ()
Date: February 24, 2013 21:50

Bill could have done the entire show. With Taylor, they would have needed to have extended practice to be feasible for Taylor to be on stage for the entire show.

Posted by: Munichhilton ()
Date: February 24, 2013 22:48

Bliss
GRNRBITW
Bliss

I think they would prefer not to, but it's what fills arenas and stadiums.

I thought the $11 Heinekens filled seats....am I wrong?

Date: February 24, 2013 22:52

Carnaby
Bill could have done the entire show. With Taylor, they would have needed to have extended practice to be feasible for Taylor to be on stage for the entire show.

Bass truly is that easy. I agree.
Alan Rogan could have gotten Taylor through if only he'd been there...

Posted by: sweet neo con ()
Date: February 24, 2013 23:38

re: "The 76-year-old rocker - who quit the group in 1996 - also admitted he used to get ''bored to death'' when on the road with the 'Brown Sugar' hitmakers."

1996? The Voodoo Lounge Tour was his best! winking smiley

re: Thommie "Well, he quit of free Will in the 90's. And he doesn't want to join a full tour. Bill is not the one to dictate the conditions, I think."

I agree...not sure why BW assumed he'd have a bigger role...they didn't have to include him at all.

Don't get me wrong, I too hoped that BW & especially MT would've played a bigger role but those are the consequences
of leaving the band...and being replaced.

IORR............but I like it!

Posted by: GravityBoy ()
Date: February 24, 2013 23:41

Bill wasn't replaced.

The Rolling Stones don't have a bass player.

Like keyboards.

They have employees though.

Posted by: sweet neo con ()
Date: February 25, 2013 01:39

GravityBoy
Bill wasn't replaced.

The Rolling Stones don't have a bass player.

Like keyboards.

They have employees though.

good point. employees don't make it into official band photos.
and former bandmembers get photoshopped out of album cover photos.

IORR............but I like it!

Posted by: saltoftheearth ()
Date: February 25, 2013 10:53

gotdablouse
Bill's only ever been interested in money...more songs -> more money!

What would you be interested if you were a member of the greatest rock'n'roll band in history? Glamour? Girls? No interest in money?

Date: February 25, 2013 10:55

Lien
Bill Wyman was ''disappointed'' with his role in the Rolling Stones' 50th anniversary. The group's former bassist accompanied the band on two tracks, 'Honky Tonk Women' and 'It's Only Rock 'n' Roll (But I Like It)' , at their commemorative London shows last November,
I was disappointed that he only played bass on two of the most trivial songs in the repertoire. Certainly no songs to shine on.

Posted by: rebelrebel ()
Date: February 25, 2013 11:53

71Tele

Then they would have had to pay him properly and that just ain't gonna happen.

Posted by: GravityBoy ()
Date: February 25, 2013 12:33

Does Bill still have shares in the company?

Date: February 25, 2013 15:22

gotdablouse

Thank God Mick & Keith were completely different in that respect. smiling smileywinking smiley They never cared for money or chart success, all they wanted to do was making great music. They certainly would not have bothered if nobody had bought their records or attended their concerts. smiling smiley
Unfortunately they were surrounded by bastards who were responsible for the exceedingly high ticket prices angry smiley (remember Mick & Keith's free concert at Hyde Park)? smileys with beer And those vampires were also responsible for all the merchandise and the Las Vegas shows. sad smiley

And another problem was greedy Bill who was still interested in money... confused smiley that's why fans dislike him so much. thumbs downthumbs down

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2013-02-25 15:25 by saltoftheearth.

Posted by: 2000 LYFH ()
Date: February 25, 2013 16:22

saltoftheearth
gotdablouse

Thank God Mick & Keith were completely different in that respect. smiling smileywinking smiley They never cared for money or chart success, all they wanted to do was making great music. They certainly would not have bothered if nobody had bought their records or attended their concerts. smiling smiley
Unfortunately they were surrounded by bastards who were responsible for the exceedingly high ticket prices angry smiley (remember Mick & Keith's free concert at Hyde Park)? smileys with beer And those vampires were also responsible for all the merchandise and the Las Vegas shows. sad smiley

And another problem was greedy Bill who was still interested in money... confused smiley that's why fans dislike him so much. thumbs downthumbs down

spinning smiley sticking its tongue outthumbs downthumbs upsmileys with beer>grinning smiley<smiling bouncing smileyeye rolling smileydrinking smileyeye popping smileysmoking smileysad smileysmiling smileymoody smileymoody smileygrinning smileytongue sticking out smileyconfused smileyangry smileyyawning smileywinking smileycool smileyhot smiley

Date: February 25, 2013 16:35

rebelrebel
71Tele

Then they would have had to pay him properly and that just ain't gonna happen.

What a pizza and a whore? They could afford that...

Posted by: duke richardson ()
Date: February 25, 2013 18:03

saltoftheearth
Lien
Bill Wyman was ''disappointed'' with his role in the Rolling Stones' 50th anniversary. The group's former bassist accompanied the band on two tracks, 'Honky Tonk Women' and 'It's Only Rock 'n' Roll (But I Like It)' , at their commemorative London shows last November,
I was disappointed that he only played bass on two of the most trivial songs in the repertoire. Certainly no songs to shine on.

HTW "trivial" ? hmmm..

Date: February 25, 2013 18:15

duke richardson
saltoftheearth
Lien

HTW "trivial" ? hmmm..

Bill was hoping for something with perhaps as many as 4 chords in it...

Date: February 25, 2013 19:08

Munichhilton
duke richardson
saltoftheearth
Lien

HTW "trivial" ? hmmm..

Bill was hoping for something with perhaps as many as 4 chords in it...

4 chords and several years ago...

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: February 25, 2013 19:14

duke richardson
saltoftheearth
Lien

HTW "trivial" ? hmmm..

It makes more sense when you realize Bill didn't play on the studio version of IORR and for some reason they really downplayed the bass on Honky Tonk Women. I would say the bass on HTW is indistinct, and never been a highlight to the song.

Date: February 25, 2013 19:22

24FPS
duke richardson
saltoftheearth
Lien

HTW "trivial" ? hmmm..

It makes more sense when you realize Bill didn't play on the studio version of IORR and for some reason they really downplayed the bass on Honky Tonk Women. I would say the bass on HTW is indistinct, and never been a highlight to the song.

On the studio recording, the bass doesn't even show up until midway through the song.

Posted by: DD ()
Date: February 25, 2013 19:26

Hello,

Can't agree with that, 24FPS, if you're being serious. I've always thought the bass on HTW, from the instrumental onwards, is quite excellent. Drives the song brilliantly. I accept that it isn'y very long, but it is great.

Declan

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 2 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1085
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home