Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
1989 to Present Stones
Date: February 21, 2013 22:12

Love this site and reading all the posts and topics that I became a "real" member. I have seen in some posts that the version of the 1989 to Present Stones is akin to Vegas Stones of 2.0 Rolling Stones. For me I love the Stones anyway I can get them. I like most era's. My question and its probably been ask before but what is the best Stones cd from the Steel Wheels to the present? After listening to A Bigger Bang recently I have to say this is the best of the era. Sounds like the Stones being the Stones instead of the Stones trying to be the Stones. There are so many good tunes on this cd. So anyway my ranking is:

A Bigger Bang
Steel Wheels
Voodoo Lounge
Bridges to Babylon (which I really dislike!)

Re: 1989 to Present Stones
Posted by: mr_dja ()
Date: February 21, 2013 22:19

Welcome to the board! smileys with beer Hopefully you've lurked long enough to know that your list will be both praised and torn apart depending on who replies... Just warning you in case you're not expecting it...

My list:
Voodoo
Bigger Bang
Steel Wheels
Bridges

Uh-Oh... Now MY list is about to get torn apart!

Peace,
Mr DJA

Posted by: Max'sKansasCity ()
Date: February 21, 2013 22:22

mr_dja
Welcome to the board! smileys with beer Hopefully you've lurked long enough to know that your list will be both praised and torn apart depending on who replies... Just warning you in case you're not expecting it...

My list:
Voodoo
Bigger Bang
Steel Wheels
Bridges

Peace,
Mr DJA

You are hereby granted immunity from such smileys with beer

Posted by: FrankM ()
Date: February 21, 2013 22:35

They are all worth listening to imo. My main complaint is quantity not quality. Only four studio albums since 1989.

Posted by: GRNRBITW ()
Date: February 21, 2013 22:36

FrankM
They are all worth listening to imo. My main complaint is quantity not quality. Only four studio albums since 1989.

Then again, those who think the issue is quality are quite satisfied with the minimal quantity.

Date: February 21, 2013 22:37

Max'sKansasCity
mr_dja

My list:
Voodoo
Bigger Bang
Steel Wheels
Bridges

Peace,
Mr DJA

Date: February 21, 2013 22:45

GRNRBITW
FrankM

Then again, those who think the issue is quality are quite satisfied with the minimal quantity.

I think songwriting has a certain rythym to it. Since they released albums so sparingly over the last twenty five years they never got into their top songwriting form like it was in the old days. More albums may have also meant better albums.

Date: February 21, 2013 22:54

FrankM
Max'sKansasCity
mr_dja

My list:
Voodoo
Bigger Bang
Steel Wheels
Bridges

Peace,
Mr DJA

Thats the ticket!!.... with great power comes great stuff

Date: February 21, 2013 22:55

Max'sKansasCity
FrankM
Max'sKansasCity
mr_dja

My list:
Voodoo
Bigger Bang
Steel Wheels
Bridges

Peace,
Mr DJA

Until Danny Glover shot him in the head lol.

Date: February 21, 2013 22:59

FrankM
Max'sKansasCity
FrankM
Max'sKansasCity
mr_dja

My list:
Voodoo
Bigger Bang
Steel Wheels
Bridges

Peace,
Mr DJA

Until Danny Glover shot him in the head lol.

Yeah but Mel got that hot blonde, so it all worked out,
until they killed her anyway.... damn... did everyone die on that movie?

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: February 21, 2013 23:01

.... where are we now????

ROCKMAN

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: February 21, 2013 23:52

I don't consider Steel Wheels to be part of those albums. Without Wyman it became a whole new sound, or absence of sound. They seem aimless after Steel Wheels, although A Bigger Bang is probably the best of the 3 albums that followed. Voodoo Lounge was a step back, consciously trying to be retro, although 'Love Is Strong' and 'You Got Me Rockin' aren't bad.

Bridges to Babylon creates the most perplexing album. They tried, or Mick tried, to sound current, without incorporating Stones elements, which had always been their method. Or result. I'm still shaking my head at them including two Keith ballads back to back to end the thing. It's glaringly obvious that there wasn't a lot of Jagger/Richards in these cuts, mostly one or the other.

I simply never find myself having the urge to listen to any of the three post-Wyman albums. My biggest enjoyment has been the gussied up bonus cuts on the Exile and Some Girls deluxe editions. Doom & Gloom is passable, but it's a Jagger cut.

Posted by: TeaAtThree ()
Date: February 22, 2013 03:21

I have to disagree with 24.
I think Bridges is the by far the most interesting of the albums. While trying to be "current" they were still playing with styles and concentrating on songs more than just riffs.

I'll take Bridges over ABB any day.

T@3

Posted by: SweetThing ()
Date: February 22, 2013 04:13

Well, I'll put Voodoo on top. Followed by Bridges which was interesting if uneven. Steel Wheels seems a bit rushed and thin, but never knew how much I'd miss Wyman back then. Sorry to say, I'd put ABB dead last. Still can't listen to it all the way through, no matter how many times I've tried.

Posted by: kowalski ()
Date: February 22, 2013 05:04

FrankM

Between 1989 and 2008 they have released at least 72 original tracks.
17 on Steel Wheels and Flashpoint, 19 on Voodoo Lounge, 14 on Bridges to Babylon, 4 on Forty Licks and 18 on A Bigger Bang.
They also released a handful of covers for the first time (Like A Rolling Stone and Little Baby on Stripped, Corinna on No Security, The Nearness of You and Rock Me Baby on Live Licks, Champagne And Reefer on Shine A Light).
So it's only 4 studio albums but a lot of tracks actually. They haven't been exactly lazy smiling smiley

Posted by: mikeeder ()
Date: February 22, 2013 08:14

I suppose Bigger Bang is the one I like best. Still not an era I pay much attention to. Actually the following are my least favorite Stones studio albums.

Bigger Bang 6/10
Emotional Resuce 5/10
Vodoo Lounge 5/10
Undercover 4/10
Steel Wheels 3/10
Bridges (too modern and I'm not a Keith ballad fan past the seventies)2.5/10.
Dirty Work 2/10

Date: February 22, 2013 09:55

24FPS
I don't consider Steel Wheels to be part of those albums. Without Wyman it became a whole new sound, or absence of sound. They seem aimless after Steel Wheels, although A Bigger Bang is probably the best of the 3 albums that followed. Voodoo Lounge was a step back, consciously trying to be retro, although 'Love Is Strong' and 'You Got Me Rockin' aren't bad.

Bridges to Babylon creates the most perplexing album. They tried, or Mick tried, to sound current, without incorporating Stones elements, which had always been their method. Or result. I'm still shaking my head at them including two Keith ballads back to back to end the thing. It's glaringly obvious that there wasn't a lot of Jagger/Richards in these cuts, mostly one or the other.

I simply never find myself having the urge to listen to any of the three post-Wyman albums. My biggest enjoyment has been the gussied up bonus cuts on the Exile and Some Girls deluxe editions. Doom & Gloom is passable, but it's a Jagger cut.

That's a very good analysis, and I agree with much of it.

IMO, Steel Wheels is probably the better album, despite the poor production.

Although there are quite a few songs Bill doesn't play on, he is present and he really makes his mark on the tracks he plays on.

VL is ok, with some great tracks, but there are far too many songs on it. As a 10 song LP, with some of the outtakes/B-sides replacing the poorer songs, it would have been more than just good.

B2B is almost schizophrenic sounding, with so many musical styles and sounds just tossed in, apparently without a clue of how this would sound as an album. Stripped down to 10 songs, and with a more consistant sound, this album could have been the best of the lot, imo.

ABB suffers from poorer song writing and playing, imo, although there is some good stuff on it.

Stripped, however, showed that the Stones still could release a masterpiece in this period.

Posted by: Rolling Hansie ()
Date: February 22, 2013 10:07

Welcome to the board

-------------------
Keep On Rolling smoking smiley

Date: February 22, 2013 10:35

"Stripped" is maybe the most overlooked Stones album. No new originals, but IMO still the best of post 89. The best spirit.
I used to have Steel Wheels way at the bottom but the premixes changed my mind completely. I
Also can't see how B2B can be at bottom of a list.
I'd say

Bridges
Steel Wheels
ABB
Voodoo

Date: February 22, 2013 10:37

Palace Revolution 2000
"Stripped" is maybe the most overlooked Stones album. No new originals, but IMO still the best of post 89. The best spirit.
I used to have Steel Wheels way at the bottom but the premixes changed my mind completely. I
I'd say

Bridges
Steel Wheels
ABB
Voodoo

Some of the best songs in this period are probably on B2B. However, the collection of songs, and the album as a whole? Hm, could have been better, if Mick and Keith didn't have one of their feuds at the time...

Posted by: billwebster ()
Date: February 22, 2013 11:37

My ranking of these

1) Bridges
2) Four Licks
3) Voodoo Lounge
4) A Bigger Bang
5) Steel Wheels

And an honorary mention goes to:

0,5) Wandering Spirit

Date: February 22, 2013 11:39

Four Licks?

Don't Stop
Losing My Touch
Keys To Your Love
Stealing My Heart

?

Posted by: KeithNacho ()
Date: February 22, 2013 11:53

There are 4 albums and a lot of B-sides and an "extra tunes 10 songs album" (2 in Flashpoint; 4 in 40 licks; 2 extra ABB songs; and the new 2 GRRRR songs)
Anyway, very few albums in 25 years..............it is a pity

Date: February 22, 2013 12:01

KeithNacho
There are 4 albums and a lot of B-sides and an "extra tunes 10 songs album" (2 in Flashpoint; 4 in 40 licks; 2 extra ABB songs; and the new 2 GRRRR songs)

+ the B-sides from VL: The Storm, Jump On Top Of Me, Baby, So Young and I'm Gonna Drive - all surprisingly good songs, imo.

Date: February 22, 2013 12:30

I became a huge Stones fan in 1982; so the Stones music that made my life was Still Life onwards. Former albums maybe were the best withouth no doubt (and i love them too much), but the music of my life are Stones post 1981.
Anyway i must admit that i was very unlucky, my first Stones albums were UC and DW..................... no coment
I enjoyed a lot when SW and VL were released, BtB left me cold, and i apreciate ABB to death

Date: February 22, 2013 12:36

DandelionPowderman
KeithNacho

+ the B-sides from VL: The Storm, Jump On Top Of Me, Baby, So Young and I'm Gonna Drive - all surprisingly good songs, imo.
So if you add AYLAM, we got an extra large 15 extra songs from this period (well, so young was from 1978). And it could be an average nice album

Date: February 22, 2013 21:32

kowalski
FrankM

Between 1989 and 2008 they have released at least 72 original tracks.
17 on Steel Wheels and Flashpoint, 19 on Voodoo Lounge, 14 on Bridges to Babylon, 4 on Forty Licks and 18 on A Bigger Bang.
They also released a handful of covers for the first time (Like A Rolling Stone and Little Baby on Stripped, Corinna on No Security, The Nearness of You and Rock Me Baby on Live Licks, Champagne And Reefer on Shine A Light).
So it's only 4 studio albums but a lot of tracks actually. They haven't been exactly lazy smiling smiley

No they haven't been lazy. I totally agree with that. If you look at long gaps between studio albums they are almost always doing something whether it is touring for an album they just released or working on a compilation and touring for that. They were super active from 1989 to 2007 and have had considerable activity since then. I just wish they had released more studio albums.

VL, BTB and ABB had enough songs to equal 4-5 of their earlier studio albums so they deserve some slack there but as far as all these extra tracks here and there most of them were leftover junk imo. The four songs on Forty Licks weren't that good imo.

"Lyin' awake in a cold, cold sweat. Am I overdrawn, am I going in debt?
It gets worse, the older that you get. No escape from the state of confusion I'm in.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: February 22, 2013 21:47

TeaAtThree
I have to disagree with 24.
I think Bridges is the by far the most interesting of the albums. While trying to be "current" they were still playing with styles and concentrating on songs more than just riffs.

I'll take Bridges over ABB any day.

T@3

I'll have to disagree with [email protected] cuz.

oh....and welcome!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-02-22 21:47 by treaclefingers.

Date: February 22, 2013 21:57

Palace Revolution 2000
I'd say

Bridges
Steel Wheels
ABB
Voodoo

I agree. Stripped is a great album. I find myself listening to the Stripped version of Wild Horses more than the original.

"Lyin' awake in a cold, cold sweat. Am I overdrawn, am I going in debt?
It gets worse, the older that you get. No escape from the state of confusion I'm in.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: February 22, 2013 22:09

Bridges To Babylon
A Bigger Bang
Steel Wheels
Voodoo Lounge

Stripped may be the best release of this era but it's not a 'studio album' as the term is used.

I love this kind of look backism. It's always refreshing to hear/read a different point of view.

Bridges To Babylon is by far their best album to me in that it's their first inventive LP since Undercover in terms of the different genres and stylings of the songs. There are some tracks that don't work but in the essence of their craft within this LP they fit. I don't care for Might As Well Get Juiced or Gunface but in regard to the album they work. It's almost as if they peaked again (the last one being what they captured for Some Girls, Emotional Rescue and Undercover - in an arbitray way Tattoo You) in capturing a sound and a feel with Flip The Switch, Lowdown, You Don't Have To Mean It, Saint Of Me, Out Of Control, Thief In The Night and How Can I Stop. BTB's weakest point is Always Suffering.
Their only by-the-numbers Stones song is Too Tight, which I like, but it's a bit like Respectable in that it's so 'write this in my sleep' kind of Stones with a very pedestrian solo.

A Bigger Bang has, remarkably, a freshness to it (even being brickwalled and all done on a lap top) but that aside, its artistic issue is it has way too much on it, including one of their worst songs ever, Streets Of Love. They left off two great tracks for some reason that are only available to be listened to either by playing the extra disc or via youtube as I am not aware of any place to download them.

Steel Wheels - eh, too polished but it's vibrant in a way. It's a very 'up' kind of album with some tunes, even if the songwriting is a bit waffly. This one has another one of their worst songs, Rock And A Hard Place. The non-LP LP sessions B-side is fantastic.

Voodoo is just a brown bag of an album with a few good things sticking out of the top of it, Love Is Strong, The Worst, Moon Is Up and Out Of Tears. I Go Wild is peaking out. The rest of it is unenjoyable. The B-sides are better than the majority of the LP, even with one of them being a Some Girls leftover.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1449
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home