Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 123456Next
Current Page: 1 of 6
OT- EAGLES
Posted by: melillo ()
Date: February 21, 2013 00:55

there is an eagles 3hr documentary on showtime this month called the history of the eagles, it is an absolute must watch IMO even for casual eagle fans, i must say that i like the stones ten times more than the eagles but this doc just blows crossfire hurricane out of the water just a very well done project

Re: OT- EAGLES
Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: February 21, 2013 01:06

It's always been fashionable to knock The Eagles, but if they were good enough for Joe Walsh, then they should be good enough for anyone.

But I wonder, is this documentary authorized? If so, just how frank, rather than self-flattering, will it be? Because some band members have embarrassing moments to gloss over. Don Henley, for instance. His first post-Eagles hit was Dirty Laundry, which stemmed from his indignation toward the media for their morbid interest in the fact that he was caught doing cocaine with some underage girl.

I still remember that they had a great many very solid and catchy songs on the radio throughout the 70s.

Posted by: stupidguy2 ()
Date: February 21, 2013 01:06

Well...damn it I like the Eagles.
THe Long Run was probably the first album I waited for to be released. I loved it. This was pre-Stones for me and so it's nostalgic.

Posted by: NoCode0680 ()
Date: February 21, 2013 01:08

I don't actually hate Eagles, but I don't care enough about them to watch a documentary. I like them enough to own Hotel California and two greatest hits albums. I really like Joe Walsh and James Gang though.

Posted by: Blue ()
Date: February 21, 2013 01:58

Their version of "Seven Bridges Road" is a masterpiece!

Posted by: NoCode0680 ()
Date: February 21, 2013 02:15

Blue

Yeah, I really like that one. Until you said "their version" I didn't know it was a cover. Apparently it's originally by Steve Young.

Who knew he was so talented

Date: February 21, 2013 02:26

LOL!

Posted by: noughties ()
Date: February 21, 2013 02:37

No one can argue against the significance of The Eagles. A threas like this has been posted before. I say it again; I wouldn`t be without my "Greatest Hits 1971-75", plus "Hotel California".

Posted by: rollmops ()
Date: February 21, 2013 05:47

I saw it on showtime and it's good. The movie shows bits of concert with Linda Rondstat in the early 70's. She was HOT! Beautiful voice too. The eagles, early on, worked with Glyn John but they didn't get along after a while.
Rock and roll,
Mops

Posted by: Max'sKansasCity ()
Date: February 21, 2013 05:59

Thanks for the tip.... I had seen it but skiped over it.... I'll give it a try.
Good enough for Joe Walsh, then they should be good enough for anyone me.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-02-21 06:15 by Max'sKansasCity.

Date: February 21, 2013 06:13

Top 20 Worst Bands of All Time
Top 20 Worst Bands of All Time: The Complete List
By LA Weekly Fri., Feb. 17 2012 at 3:30 AM 1157 Comments
Categories: Haterade, Top 20, Top 20 Worst Bands of All Time

2. Eagles
The all-mighty arbiter of SoCal cool, Jeffrey "The Dude" Lebowski was famously willing to be thrown out of a cab because he hated the @#$%& Eagles, and you should be too. Soporific Laurel Canyon coke rock whose chief existential lament seems to be "What toppings should I get on my burrito?" the Eagles are the quintessential band for a decade whose favorite barbiturate was the Quaalude. -Jeff Weiss

See also: The Eagles' "Hotel California": Why This Song Sucks

Posted by: Jah Paul ()
Date: February 21, 2013 08:03

I liked the Eagles in the very beginning (first few albums), but for me they became overexposed and overplayed when Hotel California came out and I was almost glad to see them go after The Long Run. Of course, as the years passed, nostalgia set in and I began to revisit and appreciate a lot of their catalog.

In fact, one of their new songs from the 1994 reunion, "Learn To Be Still," has become my favorite Eagles tune...an impressive feat for something released 14 years after their breakup.

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: February 21, 2013 08:06

Hotel California....what's more out there worth discussing....

2 1 2 0

Posted by: tomk ()
Date: February 21, 2013 08:45

NoCode0680
Blue

Yeah, I really like that one. Until you said "their version" I didn't know it was a cover. Apparently it's originally by Steve Young.

Actually, that arrangement comes from Ian Matthews and Mike Nesmith.
Nesmith produced an album of his ( and sang and played ) which had a version of this.
The Eagles did the same version, even copying the flatted note on the intro, which Nesmith says was a mistake but kept anyway.

Posted by: stones_serb ()
Date: February 21, 2013 08:58

I think the problem with Eagles is that they had too many commercial leanings. Other than that they were and rpobably still are an extremely talented unit. I think they went up a notch when Joe Walsh joined the band but it also marked the twilight of their recording career. Anyway, the band that has such tracks as Desperado, Wasting Time, Pretty Maids all in a row, Take it Easy etc. can't be a bad act depspite what all the cinics and haters might say. I think it has a lot to do with The Dude and his self-proffessed hatred for the Eagles. That single scene kind of ruined Eagles for many people smiling smiley

Still, what bugs me is the way Joe Walsh only plays the second fiddle to Frey and Henley even though he is probably a couple of leagues above them as a songwriter. Each of his seventies records is a masterpiece and it's tragic how overlooked his records have been, probably due to his affiliation with The Eagles.

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: February 21, 2013 15:34

"Wasted Time" is a great song

Posted by: Eleanor Rigby ()
Date: February 21, 2013 15:36

nothing wrong with The Eagles...think they were inspired by Gram Parsons..
sorry..influenced might be a better word

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-02-21 15:38 by Eleanor Rigby.

Posted by: reg thorpe ()
Date: February 21, 2013 15:56

I thought the documentary was very insightful particularly the parts about Don Felder and Glenn Frey's feud and Felder's subsequent exit from the band after meeting Sen. Cranston.

I also didn't know that one of the reasons that Randy Meisner left the band was that he was uncomfortable or incapable of singing the high notes in his signature song "Take it to the Limit".

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2013-02-21 15:57 by reg thorpe.

Posted by: Munichhilton ()
Date: February 21, 2013 16:13

Long live Don Felder...

After he left the Eagles became a bunch of chicks

Date: February 21, 2013 17:32

tomk
NoCode0680
Blue

Actually, that arrangement comes from Ian Matthews and Mike Nesmith.
Nesmith produced an album of his ( and sang and played ) which had a version of this.
The Eagles did the same version, even copying the flatted note on the intro, which Nesmith says was a mistake but kept anyway.

Thank you for this! Had heard that Mike Nesmith did some sort of arrangement of this song, but didn't know the Eagles had used it. Did not know there was a recording of Seven Bridges Road with Mike singing on it. It's really, really, nice! I can definitely hear his distinctive voice and part in the harmonies. (Big fan of Mikes, always discovering little gems he has contributed from the past) this is really a beautiful version of the song.

Posted by: headly123 ()
Date: February 21, 2013 18:59

I watched it the other night. It was pretty good. They pretty much showed them warts and all. At least they didn't stop when they broke up and carried the Documentary all the way through the current time period. Unlike the Stones who cut theirs off at around 1981. I always thought the Stones stopped at that time was they started really fighting after that and stopped touring for a long time. And that they didn't want to talk about it. The Eagles talked about there fights and you even heard one at that benefit. Funny how even after the Eagle reunited that Felder was back with them but shortly after they threw his ass out again. So I gathered he must be a real @#$%&.

Date: February 21, 2013 19:37

Take it from a guy who has stood on a corner in Winslow Arizona...this is a great doc...

Posted by: mr_dja ()
Date: February 21, 2013 20:50

headly123
Funny how even after the Eagle reunited that Felder was back with them but shortly after they threw his ass out again. So I gathered he must be a real @#$%&.

I don't have Showtime so haven't seen the documentary. How did they explain the fact that after the first reunion, he wasn't involved anymore? Did they imply or say it was due to Don's personality?

After reading Don's autobiography, I came away thinking he was/is a pretty decent guy who I'd probably enjoy hanging out with. Obviously his book is written from his point of view but he said in his book that the reason he's not involved anymore came down to money. From what he wrote, Henley & Frey decided that since they are the big stars without whom the Eagles wouldn't exist, they should receive the largest portion of the money and Walsh, Timothy B Schmidt & Felder would be paid as junior partners (less money than the other two). According to Felder, Walsh & Schmidt were OK with this and took what was offered. Felder felt that, as his tenure with the band went back to the days when money was split equally between five members, he was being slighted under a new arrangement that was basicly being forced on him by two members of the band as "take it or leave it". He eventually decided to "leave it" and, if his autobiography is to be believed, sounded pretty OK with his decision.

Hopefully I'll be able to see the documentary sometime as I do like the Eagles.

Peace,
Mr DJA

Posted by: Mimi73 ()
Date: February 21, 2013 21:07

i like the Eagles, their sound is very relaxing and I`m total on `Desperado`...Unfortunately, all the band members in the course of time have fallen out so badly that no more creative collaboration was possible and musically it really went downhill ... that's probably the real tragedy of great musicians...

Posted by: FrankM ()
Date: February 21, 2013 21:19

I think somebody in this forum once referred to them as "middle of the road slop". Maybe true but I still like some of their songs. For me they are one of those bands where you can stick with the greatest hits albums and get most of what is worth getting.

Posted by: Duane in Houston ()
Date: February 21, 2013 21:24

[/quote] How did they explain the fact that after the first reunion, he wasn't involved anymore? Did they imply or say it was due to Don's Peace,
Mr DJA[/quote]

He actually hung with the band for several years after that reunion in 1994. They did give him a take it or leave proposal at some point which he took but was never happy with. He left (or was canned) right before the recording of Long Road Out Of Eden CD. It wasn't really spelled out but I believe he wouldn't show up or wanted to include some of his songs or what have you. Apparently the band belongs to Frey and Henley and they call the shots. One of the take-aways I got from the show was that Frey has an Ego as big as Everest. He makes Keith sound humble by contrast.

Date: February 21, 2013 21:24

They get penalized for sounding too perfect...perfect harmonies, perfect guitar tones and notes, good song ingredients and subject matter...only perfection has more perfect in it.

On the other hand I never liked the tone of the snare drum...that is not perfect

Date: February 21, 2013 21:39

Thanks for the insight Duane!

Peace,
Mr DJA

Posted by: DGA35 ()
Date: February 21, 2013 22:19

Will be seeing Joe Walsh next month since he's opening for Bob Seger in Vancouver! Should be a good overall show.

Date: February 21, 2013 22:21

DGA35
Will be seeing Joe Walsh next month since he's opening for Bob Seger in Vancouver! Should be a good overall show.

Now THAT is a show I'd want to see! Hope you have a great time!

Peace,
Mr DJA

Goto Page: 123456Next
Current Page: 1 of 6

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1492
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home