Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Quick Question Regarding GRRR Sound Quality
Posted by: MrMonte ()
Date: February 20, 2013 23:27

I haven't bothered with GRRR for all the obvious reasons. However, listening to JJF and a few others, I realized that all told the sound quality was "eh." So my question simply is, is the sound quality significantly enhanced throughout GRRR? If so, I'll get it. It would be nice to have really high quality recordings of all those tunes. Even if it's just somewhat better, it's probably worth it. Also I want to support the band as they may need the money (haha).

Thanks,

MrMonte

Re: Quick Question Regarding GRRR Sound Quality
Date: February 20, 2013 23:39

Feel silly replying to my own message, but I am reading that a number of songs were EDITED? WTF? If that's the case, I don't care about the sound - I want no part of this.

Comments? Clarifications? Very appreciated in advance!

Thanks

Posted by: jamesfdouglas ()
Date: February 20, 2013 23:39

I don't own Grr, and don't plan on it. But from what I've read here, if you have the 1994 Virgin releases and the 2002 ABKCO releases, you're good.

[thepowergoats.com]

Posted by: R ()
Date: February 20, 2013 23:42

jamesfdouglas
I don't own Grr, and don't plan on it. But from what I've read here, if you have the 1994 Virgin releases and the 2002 ABKCO releases, you're good.

Yes and yes.

The 'edited' songs are single versions so they are legit. Most have been unavailable since '40 Licks' went out of print.

Posted by: NoCode0680 ()
Date: February 20, 2013 23:53

For some reason Brown Sugar sounds really awful. It's like they cranked up the distortion, and maybe added some delay or echo to it. I can't put my finger on it, but the 2009 Sticky Fingers version sounds fine, then I play the Grrr! version and it almost sounds like I have a blown speaker.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-02-21 00:03 by NoCode0680.

Posted by: kowalski ()
Date: February 21, 2013 01:00

NoCode0680
For some reason Brown Sugar sounds really awful. It's like they cranked up the distortion, and maybe added some delay or echo to it. I can't put my finger on it, but the 2009 Sticky Fingers version sounds fine, then I play the Grrr! version and it almost sounds like I have a blown speaker.

The Brown Sugar version on GRRR! is the 2009 remastered version. Just it's less brickwalled as the sound level has been a bit lowered.

All tracks on GRRR! recorded before Brown Sugar are from ABKCO 2002 remasters with maybe a bit of tweaking in sound level. They always sounded nice (thanks to Bob Ludwig warm and balanced remastering job).

All tracks from Brown Sugar are 2009 remasters. Loud and compressed to death. Some people like it others don't.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-02-21 01:06 by kowalski.

Date: February 21, 2013 01:05

Then I guess I prefer the brickwalled version, because my Sticky Fingers version sounds clean, and the Grrr! version sounds, like I said, as if my speaker were broken.

Date: February 21, 2013 04:24

doesn't sound like GRRR is the way to go. Do need to upgrade though as a lot of my versions are dated....Forty Licks, perhaps?

Date: February 21, 2013 04:33

MrMonte
doesn't sound like GRRR is the way to go. Do need to upgrade though as a lot of my versions are dated....Forty Licks, perhaps?

Forty Licks is pretty pricey these days since it's out of print. Besides the new songs on those compilations, there's really nothing that can't be found on the studio albums (some might tell you not to upgrade those, but I like them OK except for the edit on Star Star). If you have all the studio albums and Hot Rocks you have everything that's on Grrr! and Forty Licks, minus the new songs. The ones on Forty Licks aren't really worth that price, and you can get the Grrr! tracks on iTunes or something.

Posted by: PrivateGodfrey2 ()
Date: February 21, 2013 11:52

If Mr Monte is after great sound get the Blu ray version of Grrr

Posted by: toomuchforme ()
Date: February 21, 2013 13:38

or buy the High resolution files on Linn site or hd tracks or Qobuz

"we know it's a bit late but we hope you don't mind if we stay"

Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: February 21, 2013 13:40

i have the double disc GRRR ,but have only listened to the two new songs ,doom and gloom and one more shot which sound good to me .

Date: February 21, 2013 13:54

TheGreek
i have the double disc GRRR ,but have only listened to the two new songs ,doom and gloom and one more shot which sound good to me .

That's what I have too. I've listened to quite a bit of it, put it on in the car on the way to work, played along to a few songs (mainly the new ones) on guitar, etc. It does sound pretty good to me as well, basically on par with the 2009/2002 remasters. Except Brown Sugar, that was the only one I noticed a difference on. But I just put on Sticky Fingers (which I always keep on my iPod anyway) or Hot Rocks if I want to hear that track, so it's not a big deal.

Posted by: R ()
Date: February 21, 2013 14:39

The 1994 Virgin remasters are superior in every way to the 2009 UNI, made for MP3, 'remasters.' They are still easily available, mostly in used bins and online. The 2002 SACD hybrids of the ABKCO era are the penultimate. They are getting scarce, however.

Posted by: kowalski ()
Date: February 22, 2013 04:19

R
The 1994 Virgin remasters are superior in every way to the 2009 UNI, made for MP3, 'remasters.' They are still easily available, mostly in used bins and online. The 2002 SACD hybrids of the ABKCO era are the penultimate. They are getting scarce, however.

They are definitely superior but have been "limited" to get a louder sound, which is why they sound a bit "canned" I believe. Without this limiting thing they would probably have been the definitive CD version...

Regarding GRRR! sound on the digital version even though all tracks from Brown Sugar are compressed they're not brickwalled like on the 2009 CD's. Sound is still flat (at least to my ears) and loud but less harsh and more bearable.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1918
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home