Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Can Someone Help Me? (Stones, iTunes, iPod).
Posted by: JumpingKentFlash ()
Date: February 19, 2013 20:45

Hey guys.
I'm in the middle of making a media room in my house. I want to keep my Stones, Beatles etc. CDs in the living room though. I had this idea: If I could fill up my 80gb iPod with Stones (Own all albums), Beatles (Own all albums), David Bowie (Own all albums), Lou Reed/Velvet (Own all albums, 'cept for the Doug Yule stuff), Tom Waits and Springsteen, I could have the iPod hooked up to the stereo in the media room, and be able to play it there with no effort at all. The reason I ask is that the computer we have here is very small and old, and iTunes runs very poor on it, let alone that I can't fit all that music on this comp. So my plead is: Could someone with the music I mentioned help me out? I could send you my iPod and then the kind soul could syncronize it with his/her iTunes, and then send it back. That's the only option I have...

Can somebody help please?

JumpingKentFlash

Re: Can Someone Help Me? (Stones, iTunes, iPod).
Posted by: kowalski ()
Date: February 20, 2013 01:03

Instead of an iPod, how about putting your music on a multimedia hard drive or digital media player?

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: February 20, 2013 01:29

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Rolling Hansie ()
Date: February 20, 2013 01:33

JumpingKentFlash
I can't fit all that music on this comp

Can't you do it bit by bit ? Put some of the music on the computer, transfer it to your iPod, then the next bit of music etc.

-------------------
Keep On Rolling smoking smiley

Posted by: toomuchforme ()
Date: February 20, 2013 13:00

forget the Ithings
the NAS is the THING (I have flac 1 TO of music) + vinyls to listen.
No compromise with the quality
or you buy some audiophiles readers like HIFIMAN 801

"we know it's a bit late but we hope you don't mind if we stay"

Posted by: NoCode0680 ()
Date: February 20, 2013 14:08

Rolling Hansie
JumpingKentFlash
I can't fit all that music on this comp

Can't you do it bit by bit ? Put some of the music on the computer, transfer it to your iPod, then the next bit of music etc.

I'm not sure if that will work. In my own experience it doesn't work though, but I might have to dig deeper into my iTunes settings, but when you sync the iPod it gets rid of all songs not present in iTunes, and replaces them with the ones that are. There may be some way to change this, but I'm not sure.

To the TS, if you don't have enough space, get an external hard drive for all your music. I had to do that with a computer I had once, not enough space for all my music. I bought a 320GB external for $40 off Amazon. Then I bought a new computer (another option if you have the scratch), and I don't think I can ever fill this harddrive up, so I have all my music, pictures and stuff on backed up to that.

Posted by: MingSubu ()
Date: February 20, 2013 14:19

If I'm understanding your first paragraph nocode0680. In the newer iTunes versions. There is a box, you check, that disables this.

That is what held me up from an iPod for years. Then I found out you didn't need to keep all the music on your cpu. When syncing, it keeps all of your iPod's music.

Posted by: R ()
Date: February 20, 2013 14:25

kowalski
Instead of an iPod, how about putting your music on a multimedia hard drive or digital media player?

Indeed. And then you really need one of these to upgrade the sound. They are amazing.

[www.amazon.com]

I put together the same concept except I've got a laptop holding hours and days of boot stuff, Stones and otherwise, as well as other incidental music I don't want taking up space on the CD shelves.

Posted by: NoCode0680 ()
Date: February 20, 2013 16:18

MingSubu
If I'm understanding your first paragraph nocode0680. In the newer iTunes versions. There is a box, you check, that disables this.

That is what held me up from an iPod for years. Then I found out you didn't need to keep all the music on your cpu. When syncing, it keeps all of your iPod's music.

This isn't a problem for me since I have space, but I checked it out just to see if it has changed, and I'm not finding it. And I do have the most up to date iTunes. I see a box to check that keeps the iPod from syncing automatically when you hook it up, but if you manually choose to sync, it still syncs only the songs in my iTunes library. Maybe it's deeper in the settings than I'm looking, but I don't see a way for it to leave your iPod alone and just add what you want. Maybe it's because I have an old Nano. But like I said, I'm not worried about it, I don't have to do what the TS does.

Posted by: peter wilson ()
Date: February 20, 2013 16:54

So my plead is: Could someone with the music I mentioned help me out? I could send you my iPod and then the kind soul could syncronize it with his/her iTunes, and then send it back. That's the only option I have...

I believe if you have your iPod sync'ed with tunes from someone elses's computer, that if you later go to sync it with your own computer (i.e. if you wish to add more songs to it) that your iPod will "drop" the tunes that were earlier sync'ed. If you go on Youtube and look up some tutorials, they will probably tell you this.

As you are in the process of creating a media room, have you thought about getting one of these?

[www.brennan.co.uk]

I cannot vouch for this product, as I do not know anyone that owns one. The only reason I mention it is that I have seen it advertised in the UK music press for at least the last 12 months or so. If anyone has any experience with this product it would be interesting to hear any comments/reviews.

Posted by: MingSubu ()
Date: February 21, 2013 15:38

I have a '10ish, I think, 120GB Classic. I quickly checked my itunes, which I think is the latest version.

Click on your ipod's name, in the left-side column. Scroll down to Options and CHECK the MANUALLY MANAGE MUSIC AND VIDEOS box.

I can have different music in my itune's library, than my ipod's. When I connect my ipod, it is only seen by itunes and starts charging the battery. No erasing/transferring of music/videos. Unless I do it.

I hope this helps.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2244
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home