Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Dead Flowers
Posted by: Slimharpo ()
Date: February 19, 2013 06:22

Anyone know how this song was written? Supposed to have started with the title based on Gram Parson's wife sending him flowers in the mail from the U.S. to England. Very little is said about how the song was written. Keith sings a version with the Highway men. I imagine Mick, Keith and Gram worked on this? It seems influenced in many ways by "Let it Bleed." It's kind of what "Bitch" is to "Live With Me." A rewrite, but pretty good. Dead Flowers endures as one of the more popular Rolling Stones songs among contemporary musicians.

Re: Dead Flowers
Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: February 19, 2013 06:37

Dead Flowers was all written before (we recorded it).
I'd played it a hundred times at home...................Mick Jagger 1971

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Slimharpo ()
Date: February 20, 2013 03:35

And that's it!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-02-20 03:35 by Slimharpo.

Posted by: Max'sKansasCity ()
Date: February 20, 2013 05:42

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-02-20 20:39 by Max'sKansasCity.

Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: February 20, 2013 13:46

ill be in my basement room with a needle and a spoon and another girl to take my pain away ,take me down little susie take me down ,some of the glimmers best lyrics ever .i am curious to know what the inspiration was for these lyrics.for example ,when youre sitting there in your rose pink cadillac making bets on kentycky derby day ,pure genius .where do these lyrics come from ?what was the inspiration ?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-02-20 13:47 by TheGreek.

Posted by: Father Ted ()
Date: February 20, 2013 14:18

DF has some absolutely sublime country licks in it.

Posted by: Tate ()
Date: February 20, 2013 16:06

A lot of those brilliant Stones country tunes (DF, Country Honk, Dear Doctor, Far Away Eyes) had a satirical element to them, in a way that either made fun of or made light of the depressing themes of country music. I think the lyrics of DF tried to bring out that sort of darkly amusing aspect of rural Americana.

Date: February 20, 2013 16:10

I love country music, but I find it very hard to take it seriously. I also think a lot of country music is sung with the tongue in cheek, so I do it tongue in cheek. The harmonic thing is very different from the blues. It doesn't bend notes in the same way, so I suppose it's very English, really. Even though it's been very Americanized, it feels very close to me, to my roots, so to speak.
- Mick Jagger, 1995

The "country" songs we recorded later, like Dead Flowers on Sticky Fingers or Far Away Eyes on Some Girls, are slightly different (than our earlier ones). The actual music is played completely straight, but it's me who's not going legit with the whole thing, because I think I'm a blues singer not a country singer - I think it's more suited to Keith's voice than mine.
- Mick Jagger, 2003

[timeisonourside.com]

Posted by: kristian ()
Date: February 20, 2013 19:38

Mohammed Ali, aka Cassius Clay boasted I´ll come back in a pink Cadillac to make bets on Kentucky Derby Day. And he also did it!

Posted by: Blue ()
Date: February 20, 2013 19:48

DandelionPowderman
I love country music, but I find it very hard to take it seriously. I also think a lot of country music is sung with the tongue in cheek, so I do it tongue in cheek. The harmonic thing is very different from the blues. It doesn't bend notes in the same way, so I suppose it's very English, really. Even though it's been very Americanized, it feels very close to me, to my roots, so to speak.
- Mick Jagger, 1995

The "country" songs we recorded later, like Dead Flowers on Sticky Fingers or Far Away Eyes on Some Girls, are slightly different (than our earlier ones). The actual music is played completely straight, but it's me who's not going legit with the whole thing, because I think I'm a blues singer not a country singer - I think it's more suited to Keith's voice than mine.
- Mick Jagger, 2003

[timeisonourside.com]

Mick is right, Keith was born to sing country music, wish he did more before his voice deteriorated, one of his best performances IMO was during the Graham Parson's tribute when he sang Hickory Wind".... Priceless.

Date: February 20, 2013 19:58

Not to forget Love Hurts...

Date: February 20, 2013 20:00

thumbs up

Posted by: KeithNacho ()
Date: February 20, 2013 20:57

Apartment #9 is one of the best vocal performances by KR

Date: February 20, 2013 21:26

Sounds like a burp to me, but a charming one smiling smiley

Date: February 21, 2013 00:46

KeithNacho
Apartment #9 is one of the best vocal performances by KR

Kind of preferring Tammy Wynette's version, but very nice tribute to the song by Keith.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1526
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home