Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Brian Jones: Dream of Life documentary
Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: February 18, 2013 06:54

To commemorate the birthday of Brian Jones [28 February], this thread features an hour-long radio documentary titled Dream of Life that was first broadcast on BBC Radio 2 on 3 July 1999. The YouTube clips below feature a wealth of photos, both well known and not so well known, with images refreshing every 3 seconds.

Though all aspects of Brian's life and personal shortcomings are touched upon, this documentary stands out from all other such treatments of its subject in that it comes across as far less controversial, for the reason being that it is told almost entirely by those who knew him [with the exception of author Jeremy Reed, who qualifies his comments with "I suppose"...]. Even the documentary's narrator was a friend of Brian's--none other than Manfred Mann's Paul Jones.

Featured interviews include Bill Wyman, Alexis Korner, biographer/poet Jeremy Reed, Pat Andrews, Cheltenham friend Dick Hattrell, Mick Jagger, Brian Knight, Andrew Loog Oldham, Keith Richards, and Donovan. There are even excerpts of an archive interview [from 1971] with Brian's father, Lewis Jones, who speaks about his son and The Stones in a surprisingly respectful tone.

Following the introduction, Part 1 begins with a rare excerpt from a mid-60s European media interview with Brian himself, with another excerpt from this interview to close Part 3.

Re: Brian Jones: Dream of Life documentary
Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: February 18, 2013 08:54

Thanks for posting. Only had time for part 1. I like that Bill Wyman always sets the record straight about the Stones being Brian's band, that it was his idea and he started it. Too many lazy ass journalists say the band started with Mick & Keith meeting at Dartford Station and the records under Mick's arm, blah, blah, blah.

Posted by: owlbynite ()
Date: February 18, 2013 10:18

Would love to see this. Where & how?

Date: February 18, 2013 10:19

owlbynite
Would love to see this. Where & how?

It was originally a BBC radio broadcast, so it's audio only.

Date: February 18, 2013 10:30

We can deal with that. Where do we pick up the audio?

Posted by: mikeeder ()
Date: February 18, 2013 11:06

Thanks!

Date: February 18, 2013 22:06

owlbynite
We can deal with that. Where do we pick up the audio?

Apparently, the only places it's available are from torrents sites [52 MB]. Here are two such links:

bitsnoop.com/brian-jones-dream-of-life-paul-jone-q23136104.html

www.btloft.com/torrent/Brian_Jones_-_Dream_of_Life_-_Paul_Jones_-_BBC_R2_Music_Doc_-_MP.torrent

Date: February 19, 2013 11:24

thanks again.

Posted by: Redhotcarpet ()
Date: February 19, 2013 11:46

Listen to Keith in part 2. Must be the best honest description of the pop songwriting. Not harsh just honest and even giving credible praise at the same time. That's the Keith I miss and I guess it's because of smack. Seemed to calm some of Keiths vengefulness...

Posted by: mikeeder ()
Date: February 19, 2013 12:49

Keith was MUCH different before the 80's.

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: February 19, 2013 17:29

Great stuff except for horrible Jeremy Reed and his shitey book.

Date: February 24, 2013 00:42

The 1967 film A Degree of Murder starring Anita Pallenberg is shown below in full. Soundtrack music by Brian Jones, with Jimmy Page on guitar.

Movie poster for A Degree of Murder

Date: February 24, 2013 00:59

Though never officially released, the full soundtrack to A Degree of Murder is nonetheless available in the clips below. Engineered by Glyn Johns, the soundtrack, in addition to Brian Jones [who plays nine instruments] and Jimmy Page, also features the work of Hicky Hopkins and Kenney Jones.

Musicians and personnel:
Brian Jones: Sitar, organ, recorder, cello, bass guitar, autoharp, dulcimer, clarinet and harmonica. (Also composed, produced, arranged)
Jimmy Page: Guitar
Nicky Hopkins: Piano
Peter Gosling: Background vocals, (rumoured to have played Mellotron)
Kenney Jones: drums
Glyn Johns: Engineer
Mike Leander, Orchestra

Date: February 24, 2013 04:16

stonehearted
Though never officially released, the full soundtrack to A Degree of Murder is nonetheless available in the clips below. Engineered by Glyn Johns, the soundtrack, in addition to Brian Jones [who plays nine instruments] and Jimmy Page, also features the work of Hicky Hopkins and Kenney Jones.

Musicians and personnel:
Brian Jones: Sitar, organ, recorder, cello, bass guitar, autoharp, dulcimer, clarinet and harmonica. (Also composed, produced, arranged)
Mike Leander, Orchestra

There's no mellotron on the soundtrack and as for the instruments Brian played, best let him tell us...

"In writing and producing the track, I used a series of different groups, from one musician to ten. I ran the gamut of line-ups from the usual bass line-up to using violin and banjo. Mostly they were session men, but some of the group helped out. I myself played sitar, organ, dulcimer, harmonica and harp ... "

smiling smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-02-24 04:23 by His Majesty.

Date: February 24, 2013 04:51

His Majesty
stonehearted

Musicians and personnel:
Mike Leander, Orchestra

There's no mellotron on the soundtrack and as for the instruments Brian played, best let him tell us...

"In writing and producing the track, I used a series of different groups, from one musician to ten. I ran the gamut of line-ups from the usual bass line-up to using violin and banjo. Mostly they were session men, but some of the group helped out. I myself played sitar, organ, dulcimer, harmonica and harp ... "

smiling smiley

Thanks, HM. I copied the info from the Wikipedia page for A Degree of Murder.

Date: February 28, 2013 04:15

A short 2-minute clip celebrating Brian's status as the founder of The Rolling Stones. For the first 5 seconds, the view pans across part of the interior of the present-day Ealing Club [the Red Room], and at 0:32 Bill Wyman is interviewed at his Sticky Fingers restaurant in London from the mid-90s, stating in no uncertain terms that "Brian Jones named the band, formed the band.... it was his idea, everything was him, yeah"....

Posted by: trainarollin ()
Date: February 28, 2013 06:22

I posted in wrong thread

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-02-28 06:24 by trainarollin.

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: February 28, 2013 07:55

Love & light to Brian - thanks & praises, love & light

Date: February 28, 2013 09:00

stonehearted
A short 2-minute clip celebrating Brian's status as the founder of The Rolling Stones. For the first 5 seconds, the view pans across part of the interior of the present-day Ealing Club [the Red Room], and at 0:32 Bill Wyman is interviewed at his Sticky Fingers restaurant in London from the mid-90s, stating in no uncertain terms that "Brian Jones named the band, formed the band.... it was his idea, everything was him, yeah"....

Glad he gave credit where credit is due.

Date: August 7, 2013 01:36

Great documentary! thumbs up

Posted by: belubettlo ()
Date: August 15, 2013 13:13

Brian Jones~The Dream Of Life, Audio @ 128

990703A 3rd July, 1999: UK radio (BBC R2) Brian Jones - The Dream Of Life. One-hour tribute on the 30th anniversary of BJ's death. Host: Paul Jones.
Incl.
- interview with MJ
- interview with KR
- interview with BW
- interview with Alexis Korner
- interview with Donovan
- interview with Pat Andrews
- interview with Andrew Oldham

57 min.@ 128 kbps, 44.1 KHz.

Brian Jones - Dream of Life

Posted by: KatieGirl ()
Date: August 15, 2013 15:50

Thanks for posting. Now that I've had a virus removed from my laptop, I can finally see all these clips that people post. Before, it had to be a definite link to youtube or other site.smiling smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-08-15 15:50 by KatieGirl.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1570
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home