Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

When the Stones don't sound like the Stones
Posted by: punkfloyd ()
Date: February 17, 2013 16:32

One nice thing about being a Stones fan is that it's hard to get bored with their HUGE body of work. Over five decades they can be seen as at least 10 bands rolled into one: blues, rock, balladeers, country rock, dance, etc...

I want to make a playlist of their oddball songs that make them sound like...well, not The Rolling Stones. So far I have the following and could use suggestions:

Might As Well Get Juiced
Continental Drift
100 Years Ago
2,000 Light Years From Home
Dance
Everything is Turning to Gold
Feel on Baby
2,000 Man
Citadel
Fingerprint File
Heaven

Re: When the Stones don't sound like the Stones
Posted by: Koen ()
Date: February 17, 2013 16:43

So what do the Stones sound when they sound like the Stones?

Posted by: EddieByword ()
Date: February 17, 2013 16:45

Might As Well Get Juiced
Continental Drift
100 Years Ago
Dance
Had it with you
Emotional rescue
Suck on the jugular
Feel on Baby
Fool to cry
2,000 Man
Citadel
Sweet neocon
Fingerprint File
Too much blood
Winning ugly
Going Home
Heaven

Posted by: EddieByword ()
Date: February 17, 2013 16:48

Koen
So what do the Stones sound when they sound like the Stones?

Danna nan-na, bump, bump, dan nana-na..................grinning smiley

Posted by: drbryant ()
Date: February 17, 2013 17:48

Man, all those songs are instantly recognizable as the Stones because of Mick's distinctive vocals. Although I would concede that some of them are not "typical" Stones tracks.

Posted by: noughties ()
Date: February 17, 2013 17:50

Angie.

- A favourite among the non fans.

Posted by: seitan ()
Date: February 17, 2013 18:01

Gomper
See What Happens
Sing This Song Altogeter
On With The Show

Etc...the pyschedelic era is something that they never really repeated

Posted by: minorbyrd ()
Date: February 17, 2013 18:11

What I like about the Stones is that they tried most styles of music (obviously not everything), but there was more to them than the 'riff warhorses'. So not sure what not sounding like the Stones is. Unless it's supposed to be about sounding the same every album like.......Coldplay for example?

But understand what you're getting at. I like Dandelion (or 'Sometimes Happy' as originally known) plus 'Child Of The Moon'.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: February 17, 2013 19:56

Winning Ugly for sure.

I get how Too Much Blood would fit.

The songs from TSMR are how the Stones sounded then so those, although it's one of their worst albums, don't really fit.

Posted by: buffalo7478 ()
Date: February 17, 2013 21:40

The Stones always sound like the Stones to me. The have crossed so many genres in their history that they sound like themselves when they are doing blues, novelty, reggae, soul, R&B, psychedelic (even the horrible We Love You), punk(y), country, ballads or political - for good or bad. They sound like the Stones when they play Spider and Fly, Emotional Rescue, Rice Krispies, Cherry Oh Baby, 20000 Light Years From Home, Honky TOnk Women or Continental Drift...and even Back To Zero. They always sound like the Stones to me.

Posted by: deardoctor ()
Date: February 18, 2013 00:02

I also think,they always sound like the stones (except continental drift ans some other) but maybe you talk about untypical stones-songs.
In my opinion they were best, when they tried to create new stuff (most songs of black and blue and not to forget the classiccal albums were NEW these days...) and got worse, when they copied themselfes (a bigger bang, voodoo lounge)

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: February 18, 2013 00:26

Might As Well Get Juiced
Continental Drift
100 Years Ago
Dance
Feel on Baby
2,000 Man
Citadel
Fingerprint File
Heaven!!!!! I´m not sure about this one...............

For me this is one of the real great 60´s stones songs.........although you must had been born in the 50´s to understand this

Posted by: GRNRBITW ()
Date: February 18, 2013 00:40

NICOS
Might As Well Get Juiced
Continental Drift
100 Years Ago
Dance
Feel on Baby
2,000 Man
Citadel
Fingerprint File

For me this is one of the real great 60´s stones songs.........although you must had been born in the 50´s to understand this

Is there a particular year? I have one in mind, but I wanted to see if you had the same one in mind before revealing it.

Date: February 18, 2013 00:58

GRNRBITW
NICOS
Might As Well Get Juiced
Continental Drift
100 Years Ago
Dance
Feel on Baby
2,000 Man
Citadel
Fingerprint File

Is there a particular year? I have one in mind, but I wanted to see if you had the same one in mind before revealing it.

Born in ´54, discovered them in ´67 ..........love it the first time I heard it .............and still do

Posted by: GRNRBITW ()
Date: February 18, 2013 01:01

NICOS
GRNRBITW
NICOS
Might As Well Get Juiced
Continental Drift
100 Years Ago
Dance
Feel on Baby
2,000 Man
Citadel
Fingerprint File

Born in ´54, discovered them in ´67 ..........love it the first time I heard it .............and still do

Not the year I had in mind. But it seems like a perfectly nice year, too.

Date: February 18, 2013 01:04

And the year was...............grinning smiley

Posted by: nobs ()
Date: February 18, 2013 05:47

Infamy, sounds like the winos

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: February 18, 2013 09:05

noughties
Angie.

- A favourite among the non fans.

Yeah, right. So, what are Stones fans that like Angie?

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: February 18, 2013 09:18

The only one must be when Bill is doin his song from 'Satanic'....it's always sounding Stones with Jagger or Keith....

2 1 2 0

Date: February 18, 2013 10:45

Voodoo Lounge is in its enterity The Stones trying to sound like The Rolling Stones.

The result was superb, imho.

Posted by: mikeeder ()
Date: February 18, 2013 11:23

Well the Stones with Brian, Mick Taylor, and Ron Wood all have different sounds.

I would say the most experimentation went on with Brian, but many of their biggest hits were from then.Beggers Banquet gave them a new sound that they still draw on, and Let It Bleed confirmed them as going more hard rock.

Their lyrics were always frank, but I feel they weren't really obviously as dark. I think Mick tried to convey a more wordly image from then on. He was a little more sensationalistic on stage or in his lyrics. Mick Taylor era had a lot of cool things, but the sounds varied less. Exile and Sticky Fingers are both great, but they sound like the archtypical Stones to me. Goats Head and It's Only Rock and Roll are a little more of a mix, but not always with good results.

Black and Blue caught them at transitional phase and I think many of the songs on their sound a bit less like the Stones normally do.

Some Girls and the 1975-78 tours were the best with Ron Wood. Looser, more humor. Sadly since that point I feel they didn't care the same way. Once Ron started freebasing in 1979 I have not been impressed with him musically. Keith and Mick both became stereotypes, there voices changed etc. Tatoo You was cool, but I think that's because a lot of it was vintage.

Posted by: Green Lady ()
Date: February 18, 2013 22:18

So what do the Stones sound like? I guess what people mean is the part of the Stones that most nearly fits the "classic rock" template, but that's only part of their sound. They certainly do sound like Jumpin' Jack Flash and Rocks Off - but also like Lady Jane and Mother's Little Helper, Continental Drift, Too Rude, Little Red Rooster, BackStreet Girl, Dead Flowers and Miss You, Play With Fire and Hey Negrita, Streets of Love and Heaven and She's A Rainbow and Thru and Thru...

The thing is that whatever they decide to do - all those different genres and influences - what comes out usually sounds exactly like the Rolling Stones. You might be surprised that they're doing it, but you wouldn't mistake them for any other band.

Unfortunately there's a school of thought that wants to put them into a classic blues-rock or country-rock straitjacket and dismiss anything outside it. Even more unfortunately, the Stones themselves seem to have started agreeing with this view, and only creating new Stones songs that fit in that narrow range. It's a pity.

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: February 18, 2013 23:31

Dirty Work is a fair indication of what Mick and Keith would sound like without Charlie Watts, since he wasn't on most of that album.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1512
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home