Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Went to see a band last night...
Posted by: jazzbass ()
Date: February 9, 2013 17:15

A local trio (called the Neo Trio). It was my first time seeing them. They are three very talented musicians, but get this, no guitars. Piano, Bass, Drums (and of course vocals) Any way, they are known, if I'm not mistaken for mostly playing Grateful Dead and similar genre. However, last nights performance was promoted as only feature Stones songs. I was skeptical, but I gotta say, their song selection was perfect. They didn't attempt any thing that "wouldn't work" without guitars. The joint was packed and everyone danced all night. Props to the Neo Trio for a fresh take on the Stones music. Here is the set list as copied from their Facebook page:
N3
Mike’s Tavern
Can You Hear the Music
100 Years Ago
No Expectations
Stop Breakin Down
Just my Imagination
Fool to Cry
Country Honk
Love in Vain
Dead Flowers
Time Waits for No One
Torn and Frayed
She’s a Rainbow
It’s All over Now
Sweet Virginia
Under the Thumb
Loving Cup

Ruby Tuesday
Not Fade Away
Let it Bleed
Factory Girl
All Down the Line
Far Away Eyes
Beast of Burden
Tumbling Dice
Luxury
Silver Train
Shine a Light
Rocks Off
Memory Motel
Star @#$%&
Wild Horses

Encore:
Salt of the Earth

Re: Went to see a band last night...
Posted by: flacnvinyl ()
Date: February 9, 2013 18:28

Questions...

1. Video/audio?

2. "They didn't attempt any thing that "wouldn't work" without guitars."

*rude cough*

All Down The Line
Rocks Off
Star Star

How do those work without guitars?!? I gotta hear this!

Date: February 9, 2013 20:55

flacnvinyl
Questions...

1. Video/audio?

*rude cough*

All Down The Line
Rocks Off
Star Star

Admittedly, ADTL and Rocks off, were the most challenged presentations but STar Star, is a basic three chord rocker and translated well with a cool boogie woogie piano. I did shoot some video but it was rather dark and I was too busy socializing and dancing. I'll see if i can post some.

Date: February 9, 2013 21:18

Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: February 9, 2013 22:30

Elton John's first live album is just bass, piano, and drums, and its absolutely fantastic. You really don't even notice the guitar is missing.

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: February 9, 2013 23:30

Time Waits For No One without guitar? How did that sound? It must have been up to the piano player, who must have a real flair for melodic passages.

Posted by: NoCode0680 ()
Date: February 10, 2013 00:07

I know we all love the guitars on those songs, but I don't think it's anything that couldn't be arranged on piano. Might be a little different, and they might not play every note just like the guitar, but I'm sure we'd recognize it.

Doesn't anybody remember "The Hot Rocks Polka"? Weird Al arranged The Stones as polka music.

I was in a Chinese restaurant a year or so ago and they had that traditional sounding Chinese instrumental music that you hear in such places playing. I was racking my brain because I knew these songs sounded so damn familiar, but I don't own anything like that. After about 5-6 songs I realized that they were Beatles songs I was listening to Something, all arranged in this manner. If somebody can pull that off, I'll believe anything. I would have loved to see this show.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-02-10 00:10 by NoCode0680.

Date: February 10, 2013 01:16

stonehearted
Time Waits For No One without guitar? How did that sound? It must have been up to the piano player, who must have a real flair for melodic passages.

Yes, he was good. This song was a highlight for me. Different, yes. But still good.

Date: February 10, 2013 03:05

jazzbass
flacnvinyl
Questions...

1. Video/audio?

*rude cough*

All Down The Line
Rocks Off
Star Star

Admittedly, ADTL and Rocks off, were the most challenged presentations but STar Star, is a basic three chord rocker and translated well with a cool boogie woogie piano. I did shoot some video but it was rather dark and I was too busy socializing and dancing. I'll see if i can post some.

IMO that is the whole point of doing a cover song; to give the song a totally new spin. This group the Op talks about would be the only kind of Stones cover I would be interested in.
watching any guitar band do "Rocks Off" e.g, qwth guitars and all - all I'd be doing is criticizing them, and saying "they can't touch the Stones; no one can". No point.

Posted by: jamesfdouglas ()
Date: February 10, 2013 03:52

This sounds really interesting, a hell of a setlist to be sure. I googled them but only found this...

It's Eyes of the World (Grateful Dead). Pretty solid for a piano-trio, and his Garcia voice is actually pretty damned good!

[thepowergoats.com]

Date: February 10, 2013 18:59

Palace Revolution 2000
jazzbass
flacnvinyl
Questions...

1. Video/audio?

*rude cough*

All Down The Line
Rocks Off
Star Star

IMO that is the whole point of doing a cover song; to give the song a totally new spin. This group the Op talks about would be the only kind of Stones cover I would be interested in.
watching any guitar band do "Rocks Off" e.g, qwth guitars and all - all I'd be doing is criticizing them, and saying "they can't touch the Stones; no one can". No point.

I enjoy a good cover, but yes, when a band takes a song and makes it "their own" in a good way is a beautiful thing IMO.

Posted by: Munichhilton ()
Date: February 10, 2013 19:09

Hopefully they had a kazoo and a cymbal monkey for "Can You Hear The Music"?
I can't hear it without those...

Date: February 10, 2013 23:24

jazzbass
I enjoy a good cover, but yes, when a band takes a song and makes it "their own" in a good way is a beautiful thing IMO.

Yeah, otherwise you're probably just wishing you were listening to the original. They need to offer something new, otherwise there's really no point. A re-imagining is always better than regurgitation. I think the exception being that some songs, while not changed that much, do compliment a band's sound, or for whatever reason just work. Townes Van Zandt didn't really re-invent the wheel with his Dead Flowers cover (it wasn't exactly the same either) but it was a song that suited him. Johnny Cash covering Hurt by Nine Inch Nails is another good example, not all that different (except Johnny's voice of course) but for some reason it works on a different level. Some people can take a song to a different place without changing it all that much. But most need to put some thought into it.

Date: February 11, 2013 02:23

Goddamn, Johnny's version of 'Hurt' is amazing. Love it.

Date: February 11, 2013 03:12

jazzbass
Goddamn, Johnny's version of 'Hurt' is amazing. Love it.

It is. I'm not huge into Johnny Cash, and I love Nine Inch Nails, especially from Pretty Hate Machine through The Downward Spiral, and Hurt was always one of my favorite songs, but Johnny nailed it. It almost feels like Trent wrote is specifically for him.

Great video too, Trent Reznor himself said it made him cry.

Posted by: JimmyTheSaint ()
Date: February 11, 2013 03:22

Where did you see this? Does this band ever play in Southern Ontario or Western New York?

Date: February 11, 2013 03:34

JimmyTheSaint
Where did you see this? Does this band ever play in Southern Ontario or Western New York?

If you're referring to the Neo Trio, I'm pretty sure they are locked in to the Southeastern Pennsylvania, USA area.

Posted by: backstreetboy1 ()
Date: February 11, 2013 04:18

cool

Posted by: retired_dog ()
Date: February 11, 2013 08:41

flacnvinyl
Questions...

1. Video/audio?

*rude cough*

All Down The Line
Rocks Off
Star Star

I once heard Mick & Chuck doing All Down The Line during a pre-concert warmup, and it worked really really well - Mick was absolutely great and -believe it or not- Chuck too. Other songs I remember were Tumbling Dice and (probably - not quite sure with this one, vague memories here because ADTL really stood out) Dead Flowers. Made me wish they would record an entire album like this for great late-night listening, but for them it was just fun and probably nothing worthwile. However, this sent shivers down my spine!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1462
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home