Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 1234Next
Current Page: 1 of 4
Stones Fan VS Stones Fanatic
Date: February 8, 2013 20:22

My wife is telling me I have crossed over from fan to fanatic. Is that bad or good? What is the difference? And at what point do you cross over? I know many of you think I am over zealous when it comes to the Stones, but at what point is therapy required? Is there such a thing as Stones addiction? And what is the treatment?

Re: Stones Fan VS Stones Fanatic
Posted by: T&A ()
Date: February 8, 2013 20:24

i don't think you're overzealous...you are sorta underzealous. maybe up to just plain zealous on particularly zealful days.

settle down. you're doing just fine. we'll let you know when it's time to panic.

Posted by: uhbuhgullayew ()
Date: February 8, 2013 20:28

JumpinJackOLantern
My wife is telling me I have crossed over from fan to fanatic. Is that bad or good? What is the difference? And at what point do you cross over? I know many of you think I am over zealous when it comes to the Stones, but at what point is therapy required? Is there such a thing as Stones addiction? And what is the treatment?

Implement the lyrics in Let's Work & you'll be fine.

Posted by: keeffriffhard ()
Date: February 8, 2013 20:34

Just get rid of the lady

Posted by: BlackHat ()
Date: February 8, 2013 20:42

A fan just enjoys the Stones for what they are. A fanatic is more concerned about the Stones position in relation to the Beatles.

Which are you?

Posted by: jamesfdouglas ()
Date: February 8, 2013 21:35

While the word 'fan' comes from the word 'fanatic', it's accepted that a 'fan' simply enjoys music from an artist. Another term for fanatic is 'fan-boy'. These are the people who's love of the band eclispes their ability to be objective. Stones Fanboys actually believe that they ARE the World's Greatest Rock and Roll Band. They basically project their own worth onto the band members (which yes, can be considered a mild mental illness).

I know some of these people. They relate ALL MUSIC to The Rolling Stones. Everything they listen to is Stones-related somehow. The collectors markets are squarely aimed at these OCD people whose manic behaviour make them part with their money to an extrememly unreasonable level. People who will simply buy anything that says 'Rolling Stones' on it... you know who you are.

By putting their own self-worth on a band, the fanboy is actually a pretty sad thing to be.

[thepowergoats.com]

Posted by: Max'sKansasCity ()
Date: February 8, 2013 21:40

jamesfdouglas
While the word 'fan' comes from the word 'fanatic', it's accepted that a 'fan' simply enjoys music from an artist. Another term for fanatic is 'fan-boy'. These are the people who's love of the band eclispes their ability to be objective. Stones Fanboys actually believe that they ARE the World's Greatest Rock and Roll Band. They basically project their own worth onto the band members (which yes, can be considered a mild mental illness).

I know some of these people. They relate ALL MUSIC to The Rolling Stones. Everything they listen to is Stones-related somehow. The collectors markets are squarely aimed at these OCD people whose manic behaviour make them part with their money to an extrememly unreasonable level. People who will simply buy anything that says 'Rolling Stones' on it... you know who you are.

By putting their own self-worth on a band, the fanboy is actually a pretty sad thing to be.

And what about people who play in things like stones cover bands... and name their band after their albums... and spend their life doing that? and stuff like that? What about that?

Posted by: bv ()
Date: February 8, 2013 21:48

If you are a fan then you play their music. If you are a fanatic then you post on IORR and you are holding back on your summer holidays 2013.

Bjornulf

Date: February 8, 2013 21:51

Max'sKansasCity
jamesfdouglas

And what about people who play in things like stones cover bands... and name their band after their albums... and spend their life doing that? and stuff like that? What about that?

They usually drive out the genuinely creative members, who make it their mission to smack other fanboys to their senses on Stones message boards.

[thepowergoats.com]

Posted by: Kurt ()
Date: February 8, 2013 21:52

bv
If you are a fan then you play their music. If you are a fanatic then you post on IORR and you are holding back on your summer holidays 2013.

By that logic:

Hello, I'm Kurt and I'm a fanatic.

Posted by: Edith Grove ()
Date: February 8, 2013 22:00

JumpinJackOLantern
My wife is telling me I have crossed over from fan to fanatic. Is that bad or good?

The term "fan" is derived from the word "fanatic," so you're just as messed up now as you ever were.

I LOVE THE STONES thumbs up
Posted by: Rolling Hansie ()
Date: February 8, 2013 22:05

jamesfdouglas
Stones Fanboys actually believe that they ARE the World's Greatest Rock and Roll Band.

YEEEEAAAAAHHHH, I'm a Stones Fanboy. Thank you so very much for the explanation.
And now for something completely different ... smileys with beer ... Cheers

-------------------
Keep On Rolling smoking smiley

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: February 8, 2013 22:27

....anyone who posts here is a fanatic ...

ROCKMAN

Posted by: flacnvinyl ()
Date: February 8, 2013 22:41

Rockman

I think I am slowly turning into a fan. It started right around the time of $800 tickets.

Posted by: Max'sKansasCity ()
Date: February 8, 2013 22:45

I'm Fantastic

---Thats what she said.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: February 8, 2013 22:47

It started right around the time of $800 tickets.

That's nuffin ... some @#$%& spend thousands on mag-wheels ....

ROCKMAN

Date: February 8, 2013 23:03

flacnvinyl
Rockman

I think I am slowly turning into a fan. It started right around the time of $800 tickets.

I still LOVE listening to the band's good stuff. But yeah, that price point had a very negative impact on this 'fan' for sure.

[thepowergoats.com]

Posted by: drbryant ()
Date: February 8, 2013 23:16

There are so many different types of Stones devoted behavior, you really have to categorize them:

1. The "Collector." Has a massive collection of Stones stuff, and is focused on rare/valuable items. Scours Ebay at night, and looks for used record stores on family holidays. Eyes have gone bad from checking matrix numbers in run out grooves. Often heard using terms like "ffrr ears label", "Shelly Press", and "bloody can cover". May also collect ticket stubs, autographs and other memorabilia. Has a display case for his best items.

2. The "Music Fan". Has conducted extensive research on the Stones music and its roots/influences. Was introduced to US blues history via the Stones, and now regards himself as an expert. Can often recite the order of the tracks on all Stones albums and may know the time of each track. Knows what bass amp Bill used, and who played finger cymbals on Goat's Head Soup. Spends much of his time telling other he's "in it for the music." May play in a tribute band.

3. The "Bootleg Guy". Collects unreleased music. Knows which Stones shows exist on bootleg, and whether they are audience, soundboard, etc. Can tell you whether the "breakfast show" at MSG was better than the evening show. No archive releases shock him because, well, he already owns it all. Sometimes has a tape that he thinks no one else has, so he keeps it under lock and key.

4. The "Female Fan". Has almost zero interest in the first 3 categories, but thinks Mick is hot. Has lots of posters and magazines. After a show, can't remember what songs were played, but can tell you what Keith was wearing. Spends the night before a show painting a sign that says "Mick, I love U!!", which she holds up at the show, blocking the view of people behind her. Throws stuff onstage, which is collected by staff and thrown out after each show. Won't admit that she actually likes "Streets of Love."

5. The "Live Show Regular". Goes to multiple shows on every tour. Has been in every major football stadium in Europe, but has never seen a game. Saves his ticket stubs and has two drawers full of Stones event T-shirts. Been fired at least once for neglecting his work to see the Stones, and has already taken out a second mortgage to fund the higher ticket prices in 2013.

6. The "IORR Regular". Spends hours every day reading posts on IORR and writing responses. Feels a strong sense of pride when a thread he started has multiple pages of responses. Has been fired at least once for using up too much bandwidth at work.

If you're only in one category, you're probably OK. If two categories apply, you should at least be concerned. If three or more apply, then "fanatic" is putting it mildly.

Posted by: GravityBoy ()
Date: February 8, 2013 23:24

Fan v Fanatic v Fantasist.

Which one wears wigs, womens clothing and drinks 4 bottles of Jack Daniels a day whilst playing the same guitar riff for 7 hours non-stop?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-02-08 23:30 by GravityBoy.

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: February 8, 2013 23:59

I'm a fantastic Stones lover.........nothing more.........and i'm here just Killing time

Posted by: superrevvy ()
Date: February 9, 2013 00:19

as i've posted before, the great current term is "stan"

as in "i stan for eminem" or "i'm a nicki minaj stan"

the word has three derivations:

1) "stand" as in "I stand (up) for katy perry" or "i take a stand for katy perry"

2) emimnem's classic track "stan" about the ultimate fan

3) "stan" as in pakistan, afghanistan, uzbekistan etc, that is, the home of
fanatics

so what is necessary to be a "stan" or "fanatic" is that the performer is
extremely important to you and that you regard them to be stellar killer
wonderful in terms of style, behavior, attitude etc.

so while i have been something of a fan of many many singers composers and
musicians over the last 55 years, i have only stanned for four: mick jagger,
keith richards, bob marley, and rihanna.

and anybody who posts here is most definitely a stones stan, whether you admit
it or not.

Posted by: latebloomer ()
Date: February 9, 2013 00:29

superrevy I gotta tell you, you lost me with that post..but I think maybe you fall into your own category. grinning smiley

NICOS, you keep telling yourself that...

And drbryant, you left out the important Guitar Geek category...you know, those guys that you just know there faces are lit up like Christmas trees, fingers flying over the keyboards, talkin makes, models, amps, and I don't even know what they're saying half the time. But they luvvvv their guitars, more than their Moms, wives, or girlfriends and it does make me happy to follow along and try to figure out some of it.

And the Keith/Mick obsessives...they spend endless hours dissecting the glimmer twins'relationship, argue vehemently with each other, imagine all kinds of scenerios that must have taken place or will take place between two old guys who probably think of each only a few times a year. Wait a minute...

I think I need an intervention.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-02-09 02:16 by latebloomer.

Posted by: superrevvy ()
Date: February 9, 2013 00:41

latebloomer
superrevy I gotta tell you, you lost me with that post..but I think maybe you fall into your own category. grinning smiley

and even in the category of "fanatic" or "stan", there's an important distinction
to be made. Functional or dysfuntional.

Do you damage yourself financially emotionally or otherwise with your obsession?

Or on the other hand has your life been (immeasurably) enriched by this or
that performer?

personally i haven't spent squat on the Stones compared to how much they have
given me. i've gotten back a hundred times what i've given them.

Posted by: latebloomer ()
Date: February 9, 2013 00:54

...personally i haven't spent squat on the Stones compared to how much they have
given me. i've gotten back a hundred times what i've given them.
[/quote]

That's really what it's all about, superrevvy.smileys with beer

Posted by: AintNoStranger ()
Date: February 9, 2013 01:23

Make my first therapy 1985, but it didnt works.

[youtu.be]

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: February 9, 2013 05:48

Do you buy every commercial release by the Stones, regardless of whether you already own those particular songs in an acceptable format? You are then not a fan, but an idiot.

Posted by: blivet ()
Date: February 9, 2013 07:21

drbryant
Has been in every major football stadium in Europe, but has never seen a game.

Nice one!

Posted by: slew ()
Date: February 9, 2013 16:28

The difference between a fan and a fanatic can be found in Colonial's recent thread "what kind of Stones boots (yes footwear not recordings) do you own" There is a fanatic!!

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: February 9, 2013 16:49

drbryant
There are so many different types of Stones devoted behavior, you really have to categorize them:

1. The "Collector." Has a massive collection of Stones stuff, and is focused on rare/valuable items. Scours Ebay at night, and looks for used record stores on family holidays. Eyes have gone bad from checking matrix numbers in run out grooves. Often heard using terms like "ffrr ears label", "Shelly Press", and "bloody can cover". May also collect ticket stubs, autographs and other memorabilia. Has a display case for his best items.

2. The "Music Fan". Has conducted extensive research on the Stones music and its roots/influences. Was introduced to US blues history via the Stones, and now regards himself as an expert. Can often recite the order of the tracks on all Stones albums and may know the time of each track. Knows what bass amp Bill used, and who played finger cymbals on Goat's Head Soup. Spends much of his time telling other he's "in it for the music." May play in a tribute band.

3. The "Bootleg Guy". Collects unreleased music. Knows which Stones shows exist on bootleg, and whether they are audience, soundboard, etc. Can tell you whether the "breakfast show" at MSG was better than the evening show. No archive releases shock him because, well, he already owns it all. Sometimes has a tape that he thinks no one else has, so he keeps it under lock and key.

4. The "Female Fan". Has almost zero interest in the first 3 categories, but thinks Mick is hot. Has lots of posters and magazines. After a show, can't remember what songs were played, but can tell you what Keith was wearing. Spends the night before a show painting a sign that says "Mick, I love U!!", which she holds up at the show, blocking the view of people behind her. Throws stuff onstage, which is collected by staff and thrown out after each show. Won't admit that she actually likes "Streets of Love."

5. The "Live Show Regular". Goes to multiple shows on every tour. Has been in every major football stadium in Europe, but has never seen a game. Saves his ticket stubs and has two drawers full of Stones event T-shirts. Been fired at least once for neglecting his work to see the Stones, and has already taken out a second mortgage to fund the higher ticket prices in 2013.

6. The "IORR Regular". Spends hours every day reading posts on IORR and writing responses. Feels a strong sense of pride when a thread he started has multiple pages of responses. Has been fired at least once for using up too much bandwidth at work.

If you're only in one category, you're probably OK. If two categories apply, you should at least be concerned. If three or more apply, then "fanatic" is putting it mildly.

That Dear Doctor, is amazing...I'm category 1 and ok, 6 sort of.

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: February 9, 2013 17:08

treaclefingers
drbryant

That Dear Doctor, is amazing...I'm category 1 and ok, 6 sort of.

Well no type for me maybe I'm between 2 and 3 ...so I go for 2 + 1/4 or 3 -3/4

Goto Page: 1234Next
Current Page: 1 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1621
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home