Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 3 of 4
Re: what was the sound like in 1972 for a Rolling Stones concert
Posted by: kleermaker ()
Date: February 1, 2013 22:16

mickschix
Kleermaker, how do you know the Stones sounded BETTER in Europe/1973 unless you saw them live in the USA?

I meant musically, not soundwise.

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: February 1, 2013 22:43

mstmst

The difference back then was that they really blew thru the songs for maximum impact - 72 was Keith's top moment as a rhythm player - no 'weaving' going on - just full-scale, all out 5-string slamming - hugh slabs of rhythm driving the songs with Taylor blowing leads over the top.

thumbs up

Posted by: filstan ()
Date: February 1, 2013 23:19

RockinBud
mstmst
Was at the KC show in 72 - as my buddy put it - 'you could feel the wind coming off their amps' - no shit - loud but good. There was a point in Gimme Shelter after the lead that the guitars both hit the rhythm hard and the intensity was beyond belief.

The difference back then was that they really blew thru the songs for maximum impact - 72 was Keith's top moment as a rhythm player - no 'weaving' going on - just full-scale, all out 5-string slamming - hugh slabs of rhythm driving the songs with Taylor blowing leads over the top. I love the Wood years, but for pure intensity, there was nothing like 72-73 for all-out rhythmic impact.

Please allow me to elaborate on my earlier terse comments.

IMO "what was their sound like" in part has to do with where one sits relative to stage/speakers. As I was in row 8 right of stage, speakers directly over my right ear the sound was extremely loud, maybe "brittle" would describe it compared with today sound which is a bit "warmer & fuller".

Definitly agree with above statement as to their performance.

I do not believe there was a great difference in the quality of their sound from 69-72 whereas the difference in their sound from 65-72 was a quantum change

In 1972 they were a product of that point in time, having spent their time IN Exile in France, a true outlaw rock n roll band. M&K age 29 & 28, they were their songs. Now age 69 they are a Rock n Roll Brand performing their songs. In many ways they sound better now but its just impossible for the energy to be the same.

RB

Good points. I agree.

Date: February 1, 2013 23:33

I was lucky enough to have seen the Stones on the 72 and 73 tours. From my experience, the sound on the NA tour in 1972 differed little if any with the sound quality of the following European tour in 1973. The venues were probably a bit smaller in Europe which might have slightly enhanced the sound for the audiences for the 73 tour. I was at one of the Grugga Halle gigs in Germany.Think they had the same amps though that they used in the US.Ampeg? Only difference was in the setlists. Sound quality was good, I remember everyone good in the mix for the shows I was at.

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: February 1, 2013 23:41

filstan
I was at one of the Grugga Halle gigs in Germany.Think they had the same amps though that they used in the US.Ampeg?

Could the voltage difference (110/220V) have an impact on the sound?
I remember reading a George Lynch interview (I know...) where he said that in his US studio he realized his Marshall amps sounded better when they were fed a proper 220V instead of the 110V he gave them out of convenience...

Date: February 2, 2013 00:51

dcba
filstan
I was at one of the Grugga Halle gigs in Germany.Think they had the same amps though that they used in the US.Ampeg?

Could the voltage difference (110/220V) have an impact on the sound?
I remember reading a George Lynch interview (I know...) where he said that in his US studio he realized his Marshall amps sounded better when they were fed a proper 220V instead of the 110V he gave them out of convenience...

Good question, but you need the guitar player here to weigh in on that one. All I know is the sound/mix for both of those tours was similar to my ears.

Date: July 5, 2013 05:45

[www.cbc.ca]

that link is an interview w/mick in montreal 72 before the concert. he stresses hat he & chip spent as much as could be budgeted on lighting & sound.

they had the best sound equipment for the sweaty hockey arenas that year. Mick and chip were genuinely pained when any review said the sound sucked - they went to such great lengths to make sure everybody who paid for a ticket was reasonably assured of seeing everything & hearing everything.

one thing about the Stones - always have placed the lighting and sound up front for the audience. even if it cuts into their net take of the tour - they want the best lighting & sounded extant for the shows.

"The wonder of Jimi Hendrix was that he could stand up at all he was so pumped full of drugs." Patsy, Patsy Stone

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: July 5, 2013 13:31

Kings Hall Manchester '73 sounded great... but as will be confirmed by all who attended rock shows in biggish halls back then..it depened on where you were standing/sitting.

Leicester De Montford hall in '76 ..not so clever.

Knebworth...just a vaugely recognisable noise if you weren't in a good spot.

Posted by: andrewt ()
Date: July 5, 2013 15:15

gripweed
I have a FB friend who did the sound on the STP tour, plus Hawaii and down under in early 1973...

Here's a clip he suggests watching, to get a FEEL of what it sounded like in 1972

Well you know you can't tell how good or bad a show was from a YouTube clip.

Oh wait.

You totally can!

Posted by: Chacho ()
Date: July 5, 2013 17:00

In my experience the early Rolling Stones sound varied by show, arena, and seat. I would rate the four early shows that I attended as follows:
1. Nov. 7, 1969: Fort Collins, Colo: Seats at rear of Auditorium: Sound was horrible, but the show won me over as a life long Stones fan.
2. June 16, 1972: Denver, Colo: Seats at 11th row center: Sound and show were excellent and I rate this show as the best of my life time.
3. July 6, 1975: Dallas, Texas: Seats were standing only at the front left of the stage within 50 feet of the center of the stage: Sound was excellent and an enjoyable show, but no where near the quality of the "Denver 1972" show listed above.
4. Sept 26, 1981: Philadelphia, PA: Seats at rear of stadium: Sound was horrible.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-07-06 06:53 by Chacho.

Posted by: leftbank ()
Date: July 5, 2013 17:34

1966 July 20 Seattle Colesseum. Screaming crowd so crazy the songs not very clear.
1981 Seattle Kingdome (55,000). Loud but muddy sound indoor concrete dome.

Posted by: jaggerman ()
Date: July 5, 2013 17:47

People who saw the Stones in there prime,i hate them but
yet want to be them at the same time !!

Jealousy is a bitch LOL

Posted by: Elmo ()
Date: July 5, 2013 18:02

Edith Grove
A better question might be "what was the sound like in 1965 ?" eye popping smiley

I went to see the Stones in 1965. I didn't hear much music because the noise from the screaming girls was incredible. We've all read the stories that Mick and Brian played Nellie the Elephant or something because the crowd wasn't really bothered what they played.

I saw the band in Leeds in 1971, I have written here before about it. This was their best period in my opinion, best songs, best second guitarist, best presence.

The difference between then and now I guess is the excitement the band generated for teenage kids who were left speechless at the spectacle, having screamed themselves stupid and pissed their pants. The girls were just as bad. I watched Glasto on the TV and it seemed very professional but very sterile. The kids there were excited too but that was because they were seeing legends, probably for the last time. I reckon I got the better deal.

Posted by: kleermaker ()
Date: July 5, 2013 18:16

jaggerman
People who saw the Stones in there prime,i hate them but
yet want to be them at the same time !!

Jealousy is a bitch LOL

grinning smiley

I'm still glad I saw and heard the Stones at their very prime: in Rotterdam 1973. Even better than Brussels first show from that same year. Best show ever!

Posted by: Roscoe ()
Date: July 5, 2013 19:11

I was at the '72 show at the Akron Rubber Bowl. Typically crappy outdoor stadium sound but you could still tell what songs they were playing. And as others have noted, it was really loud too, even for outdoors.

Posted by: Sighunt ()
Date: July 5, 2013 22:35

buffalo7478
tornnfrayed
Best sound ever Madison Square Garden 1981. Unbelievable sound

Worst sound ever Carrier Dome 1989. You literally could not tell what song they were playing. It was the worst concert I have ever been to and I have not been to a concert since.

I was at the Carrier Dome in 1989. I moved around a bit. Depending on where we snuck, we either heard pristine sound of total mud...like you were listening thru water. Terrible place for acoustics, much like the Rogers Centre in Toronto.

Of the 8 times I have seen the band, and all were stadiums, some indoor, some outdoor, the sound sucked at 4 - really horrible. I was not around in 1972, but would have been fun to see them as a 12 yr old.

I was at the Carrier Dome in Syracuse, NY 1989 and what I remember was that show was LOUD! Worst sound of any Stones show I attended before or since. My hearing was affected for two-three days! After this, I became an habitual earplug wearer....

Posted by: Sighunt ()
Date: July 5, 2013 22:46

vox12string
Toronto 1972, 1st show - FANTASTIC sound.

I was under the influence of ergot derivatives so that might have had something to do with it.

Stones, Toronto 1972. My first show. I don't remember too much about it other than the Stones were great. I wasn't totally familiar with the Exile material at that point, but I was excited hearing everything else they played.

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: July 5, 2013 23:07

I wasn't there in '72 but remember '73 it was great especially Midnight Rambler with Mick's belt slamming the stage and all the lights went on (red I remember) but if the sound was great crispy and water clear I can't remember..............''76 was great to but I can't remember how it really sounds.....back then it was the joy if being there you didn't analyze the sound, as we do today..............

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-08-25 01:05 by NICOS.

Posted by: beachbreak ()
Date: July 5, 2013 23:24

MSG 1972, Stevie Wonder opening act.

Great sound. Guitars sounded much "fatter". Keith played I believe a Strat as well as a Tele through multiple Ampeg stacks. Mick Taylor played I believe same amps with a Gibson SG, not sure if he played a Les Paul that show, maybe.

A very basic sound, very raw and LOUD. Keith played more to the beat and Mick Taylor just smoked the leads. I think Mick Taylor has lost more of his lead playing skills now than Keith of his rhythm playing.

Awesome show. The opening song was Brown Sugar and Keith's first chords were shock and awe. Again, much fuller and not as "trebly" as his sound now.

His playing nowadays is great and I believe more jazzy and improvised to stop him from becoming bored with it.

Posted by: thkbeercan ()
Date: July 6, 2013 00:05

very loud

Posted by: bitman ()
Date: August 20, 2014 01:33

Cocaine Eyes
My first Stones concert was in 1972 so I was in Heaven! They sounded great; they were right there in front of me; Toronto's Maple Leaf Gardens was on fire with their sound. Jagger came out wearing a striped, peak-cap. Then came the MUSIC.........grinning smiley

No complaints whatsoever. Even got the programme and a T-shirt!!

No complaints even about lining up on Wood Street for hours on end!!

hot smiley

Have a picture of the t-shirt handy?

Posted by: rob51 ()
Date: August 20, 2014 05:12

Don't know about the Stones in 72 but for the 90's Winos show I attended the sound sucked ruining the entire show. Way too loud and one instrument bled into the next.

Posted by: LongBeachArena72 ()
Date: August 20, 2014 06:37

Saw them in June 72. Don't remember them being particularly loud--similar level to The Who in late 71.

Saw Zeppelin a month after The Stones, in the same venue ... now THAT was loud! (perforated an eardrum)

I just remember The Stones show being clear, tough, punky adrenaline--second-best rock show (behind Bowie at Santa Monica Civic, also in 72) I've ever seen.

Posted by: john lomax ()
Date: August 20, 2014 10:29

What did they sound like live in 1969? Was it loud? Was the sound clear? If you were towards the back could you still hear? From the audience bootlegs that I have heard the guitars were very loud - even overpowering Charlie's drums - and the vocals were hard to hear.

Date: August 20, 2014 11:27

I find it interesting that the professional recordings from the 1969 tour are far superior to that of the 1972 and 1973 tours. Especially when it comes to instrument mix clarity, guitar sound and drum sound, imo.

Posted by: detroitken ()
Date: August 20, 2014 14:45

From what I remember of my 1st Stones gig(7-14-72)the sound was very good & clear...a great gig..would love to hear a boot of it...

Posted by: lougio ()
Date: August 20, 2014 15:10

1972 was my first Stones concert in Pittsburg. The sound at the show was not only loud but also perfect. I had seen many concerts prior to this first Stones concert but nothing that came close to the sound quality of that Pittsburg show. That show is why today I continue to see the Stones every chance I get. I have traveled all over the US and even made it to London for the Bigger Bang shows. Since that first show some have been better than others but they have never disappointed me. Don't ask me how many shows I have been to I forgot that number long ago. They were the best live band in 1972 and they still are today.

Posted by: Mr.D ()
Date: August 20, 2014 16:13

I saw the Stones in Mobile in '72, they has lots of sound trouble, it was extremly loud(not as loud as Blue Cheer though!) But I was a 21 year old kid, of course I loved every minute of it, it was THE STONES, ya know?smiling smiley

Date: August 20, 2014 16:32

Mr.D
I saw the Stones in Mobile in '72, they has lots of sound trouble, it was extremly loud(not as loud as Blue Cheer though!) But I was a 21 year old kid, of course I loved every minute of it, it was THE STONES, ya know?smiling smiley

The bootleg of that concert shows The Stones's absolute brilliance, imo. Consider yourself lucky to have been there thumbs up

They busted some strings that night smiling smiley

Posted by: MingSubu ()
Date: August 20, 2014 16:43

lougio
1972 was my first Stones concert in Pittsburg. The sound at the show was not only loud but also perfect. I had seen many concerts prior to this first Stones concert but nothing that came close to the sound quality of that Pittsburg show. That show is why today I continue to see the Stones every chance I get. I have traveled all over the US and even made it to London for the Bigger Bang shows. Since that first show some have been better than others but they have never disappointed me. Don't ask me how many shows I have been to I forgot that number long ago. They were the best live band in 1972 and they still are today.

Do you remember how the crowd was?

I loved the Civic Arena!!! I know a bunch of people who hated that place for concerts, but I always liked it.

In grade school and high school my best friend(his uncle worked for the Pens) and I would ride out bikes through the hallways there. So many good memories of that place.

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 3 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1802
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home