Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
O/T: The Dave Clark Five
Posted by: bob r ()
Date: January 21, 2013 04:35

Any fans here ?? Been listening to a greatest hits of the DC5 for the past few days---what a kickass band-- they had such a great sound-- Dave Clark's drumming was killer-- 'Bits and Pieces", 'Glad All Over", "Having a Wild Weekend"-- Mike Smith's vocals strong and very much in the Lennon style--
GOOD STUFF !

Re: O/T: The Dave Clark Five
Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: January 21, 2013 04:45

It is often overlooked, by U.S. listeners, that the DC5 were scoring top 10 singles in the UK as late as 1970. Hope your best-of collection spans the full range of their output.

No. 2 in 1967

No. 7 in 1968

No. 7 in 1970

No. 8 in 1970

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: January 21, 2013 05:18

As a U.S. observer of the British Invasion, the Dave Clark Five were a huge part of it. We had magazines claiming rivalries between them and the Fab Four. They were indeed the Beatles main rivals. The Stones weren't even mentioned. But the Dave Clark Five didn't survive the British Invasion. Their music didn't advance past pop.

I never understood why it was always so tricky to get a hold of their greatest hits. They are one of the groups that could still used the Reelin' In the Years documentary touch, along with groups like the Kinks and the Zombies. Also, no Ready Steady Go from Mr. Clark. It would seem to have some value if he has decent videotape of the artists.

Posted by: scottkeef ()
Date: January 21, 2013 05:19

They were one of my late brother's favorite bands. He loved the "big" soul sound they had and we also used to laugh about for the first couple years it was easy to tell when a DC5 song was starting up because of the drum riff coming in first! plus Mike Smith was such a great r n r singer..

Posted by: tomk ()
Date: January 21, 2013 05:45

I used to work for Rhino Records back in the old days, and they really, really tired to get the DC5 catalog. They had their sights set on it. They really wanted it badly.
But Clark himself wanted to much control. They all thought it was gonna be like that Byrds box set and everyone was gonna be over the moon about it, but it never happened.

Great band. Great singles. My old band used to do 19 Days. Why we picked that one, I'll never know, but it went down well.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-01-21 05:46 by tomk.

Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: January 21, 2013 07:34

An excellent band and their 2 disc greatest hits CD is outstanding. One amazing song after another.

Posted by: minorbyrd ()
Date: January 21, 2013 07:55

video: [www.youtube.com]

Apologies if this doesn't work......

Date: January 21, 2013 08:46

minorbyrd

Why would I want to 'Make My Own Gun'?

Posted by: minorbyrd ()
Date: January 21, 2013 09:04

24FPS
minorbyrd

Why would I want to 'Make My Own Gun'?

It was an attempt to see if I could post up YouTube clips on IORR with the options I have. Now I know it doesn't work, fine - will forget it! Could have been worse - I might have made a 'typo'! eye rolling smiley

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: January 21, 2013 10:02

Dave Clark didn't actually drum on the DC5 recordings. It's session drummer Bobby Graham emulating Dave Clark's sound and style. Dave Clark liked to be involved with the production, so left the actual musicianship to someone else. Check the liner notes of their mast Best-of.

Posted by: Havo ()
Date: January 21, 2013 10:02

DC5 ---one of my fav. bands! Hear their songs very often!

Posted by: geoffc ()
Date: January 21, 2013 11:24

A good band, but DC seems to have been greedy and controlling in the extreme - despite co-writing many of their hits, Mike Smith ended up dying a poor man, through no fault of his own.

Posted by: 2000 LYFH ()
Date: January 21, 2013 16:48

geoffc
A good band, but DC seems to have been greedy and controlling in the extreme - despite co-writing many of their hits, Mike Smith ended up dying a poor man, through no fault of his own.

Didn't know that about Mike Smith (I think he was a favorite of the teen age girls). How did Dave Clarke make his millions? Was he the songwriter of the DC5 catalog, which I doubt sold very well after the 60's?

Posted by: mickschix ()
Date: January 21, 2013 16:53

I was a huge DC5 fan and used to play their tune " Because" over and over..oh, and I played " Over & Over" a lot too....lol...they had a powerful sound with the sax and Mike Smith singing. He died a few years ago, really too bad they never got to that next level.

Posted by: latebloomer ()
Date: January 21, 2013 17:05

Loved the DC5, and yes, Mike Smith was popular with us young girls back then. My sister and I listened to them all the time when we were little, more so than the Beatles. I remember they did several appearances on The Ed Sullivan Show.

Posted by: scottkeef ()
Date: January 21, 2013 17:33

A GREAT majority of the band's hits were cover tunes. Not that its a bad thing just sayin.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: January 21, 2013 17:36

They're excellent, but I've always had a preference for the Charlie Watts Five.

Posted by: Des ()
Date: January 21, 2013 19:33

Caught a radio bit once talking about song residuals. Seems after Buddy Holly became the first to keep his songs rights Dave Clack was the second and had been making a good living off them, one of the success stories.

To quote a great David Lindley song "Pay Bo Diddley".

Date: January 21, 2013 20:10

2000 LYFH
geoffc

Didn't know that about Mike Smith (I think he was a favorite of the teen age girls). How did Dave Clarke make his millions? Was he the songwriter of the DC5 catalog, which I doubt sold very well after the 60's?

Dave Clark wrote [lyrics for] a successful musical in the 80s called Time. The musical debuted in London in April 1986 and ran for 2 years, featuring Cliff Richard in the starring role and even Laurence Olivier involved in a part.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Time_(musical)

Also, here are a couple of paragraphs taken from Dave Clark's wikipedia page under the section "entrepreneur":

In the late 1960s, in addition to managing his band, Clark began directing and producing for television. In 1968 he made a "very successful" television production, Hold On, It's the Dave Clark Five. The band broke up in 1970, and in 1972 Clark stopped drumming after he broke four knuckles in a tobogganing accident. In 1986 Clark wrote a science fiction stage musical, Time that played for two years in London's West End, starring Cliff Richard (replaced later by David Cassidy) and featuring Laurence Olivier's huge holographic image. Clark became a successful entrepreneur and a multi-millionaire, owning a £12 million house in West London. He owned the rights to all The Dave Clark Five music and in 1993 he released remastered versions of all their singles on a CD, Glad All Over Again.
He also owns the rights to all the shows of the 60's UK music show Ready Steady Go! that still exist. In the late 80's they were repeated on Channel 4 interspersed with the Dave Clark Five's own performances.

Date: January 22, 2013 03:41

Big Al
Dave Clark didn't actually drum on the DC5 recordings. It's session drummer Bobby Graham emulating Dave Clark's sound and style. Dave Clark liked to be involved with the production, so left the actual musicianship to someone else. Check the liner notes of their mast Best-of.

Bobby Graham had a reputation as a real powerhouse session drummer in those days. Graham played on the first Kinks album [except on Stop Your Sobbing] and those are his drums on their breakthrough hit You Really Got Me.

Posted by: Rollin' Stoner ()
Date: January 22, 2013 03:48

Date: January 22, 2013 09:33

stonehearted

Bobby Graham had a reputation as a real powerhouse session drummer in those days. Graham played on the first Kinks album [except on Stop Your Sobbing] and those are his drums on their breakthrough hit You Really Got Me.

Yep, I've read about Bobby Graham's association with the Kinks. The drumming on some of their early recordings is really rather good. The guitars and bass ate ragged, yet you the professionalism shining through on the drumming. Definitely a pro at work. Check out his drumming on Brenda Lee's Is It True? Superb! He released a single in his own name in '65 titled Zoom Wig and Wag. It's a great showcase for his versatility and Page providers the tasty solo.

Date: January 22, 2013 09:58

Big Al
stonehearted

Yep, I've read about Bobby Graham's association with the Kinks. The drumming on some of their early recordings is really rather good. The guitars and bass ate ragged, yet you the professionalism shining through on the drumming. Definitely a pro at work. Check out his drumming on Brenda Lee's Is It True? Superb! He released a single in his own name in '65 titled Zoom Wig and Wag. It's a great showcase for his versatility and Page providers the tasty solo.

Thanks for the recommendation! Never heard this one before, what a tasty little nugget of a record. Found another rarity as well, Skin Deep also from 1965. I wonder whether Shel Talmy was involved in the production of these.

Graham also played on

and

as well as some 15,000 other tracks....

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: January 22, 2013 14:04

Excellent band! and nowadays quite impossible to find on original LPs...I only got one double-CD stuffed with hits that always brings me in good mood...

2 1 2 0

Posted by: scaffer ()
Date: January 22, 2013 17:20

I heard a radio interview with Mick Jagger from back in the mid-1960's in which he casually dissed the state of pop music at the time. The DJ asked him to be specific and name names. Mick tried to back off but the DJ pressed the issue.

Mick replied: "Alright then, the Dave Clark Five - I think they're terrible."

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: January 22, 2013 17:34

scaffer
I heard a radio interview with Mick Jagger from back in the mid-1960's in which he casually dissed the state of pop music at the time. The DJ asked him to be specific and name names. Mick tried to back off but the DJ pressed the issue.

Mick replied: "Alright then, the Dave Clark Five - I think they're terrible."

I wonder if Mick felt 'glad all over' finally getting his inner feelings out.

Date: January 22, 2013 18:34

I've just searched for the DC5 on my iPod, but I must have neglected to include their best-of which I own. I'll whack it on when I get home. I can him Glad All Over in my head, but don't recollect anything else. Glad All Over is decent enough, but struggle to think of anything else bring particularly memorable. I know it shouldn't matter - in hindsight, it really shouldn't! - but they looked a little goofy.

Posted by: T&A ()
Date: January 22, 2013 19:03

Big Al
I've just searched for the DC5 on my iPod, but I must have neglected to include their best-of which I own. I'll whack it on when I get home. I can him Glad All Over in my head, but don't recollect anything else. Glad All Over is decent enough, but struggle to think of anything else bring particularly memorable. I know it shouldn't matter - in hindsight, it really shouldn't! - but they looked a little goofy.

if i'm going for goofy-looking, i go for freddie & the dreamers

Date: January 22, 2013 19:42

One of my faves, TRY TOO HARD:

[www.youtube.com]

Posted by: 2000 LYFH ()
Date: January 22, 2013 20:05

24FPS
One of my faves, TRY TOO HARD:

[www.youtube.com]

Like it, good choice...

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1947
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home