Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

OT: Happy Birthday Dolly Parton !
Posted by: Edith Grove ()
Date: January 19, 2013 16:47

67 years yong today !

Re: OT: Happy Birthday Dolly Parton !
Posted by: nellcote'71 ()
Date: January 19, 2013 17:23

Country music star Dolly Parton hugs rock star Mick Jagger backstage after her Bottom Line concert. 5/14/77.

Finally, photographer Allan Tannenbaum is releasing a new book of photographs: New York in the 70s, that will transport you back to NYC as it was in the '70s. Sex, drugs, street gangs, disco divas, politicians, homeless, celebrities, musicians, hookers, and literally every other thing (and person) that went down during the decade are amongst the images included. It's nearly impossible to narrow down just a few from the book, but consider this a preview (minus all the sex club, disco orgy, x-rated shots). The book is out April 2nd, and the preface is written by Yoko Ono, with a foreword by P.J. O’Rourke.

New York in the 70s is a personal collection of photographs documenting an exciting chapter in New York's history-and a remarkable body of work produced by photographer Allan Tannenbaum while he was a photo editor of the SoHo Weekly News in Manhattan. The photographs encompass many aspects of New York life while capturing the heady exuberance of the era-from SoHo and the art world to the city's politics and society. By photographing everything from street gangs to disco divas, from homeless to Hollywood stars, Tannenbaum had assembled a personal diary of his journey as a photojournalist and raconteur through a strange and exotic era of New York life.

Allan Tannenbaum covered New York City for the SoHo Weekly News in the 1970s and early 1980s. He is an award-winning photojournalist, with work published in such major international magazines as Time, Life, Newsweek, Paris Match, and Stern. His photographs have also appeared in numerous books and exhibitions, including Visa Pour L'Image in Perpignan. He lives in New York City.

"Tannenbaum's photographs of the 1970s are as wildly entertaining and energetic as that wonderful and bizarre decade itself. The form and important visual history of a moment when American culture changed forever." -David Schonauer, Editor-in-Chief, American Photo

" A valuable, lasting remembrance of things past."-Ron Rosenbaum

All photos by and © Allen Tannenbaum

Posted by: NoCode0680 ()
Date: January 19, 2013 17:24

I'm not all that into country, so her music isn't my cup of tea, but she has a magnificent voice. And appears to have a magnificent personality. She probably gives the best interview in the business. Every time I see her being interviewed, most recently on The Colbert Report, she's so laid back and down to Earth, and pretty damn funny.

Posted by: detroitken ()
Date: January 19, 2013 18:18

happy Birthday to the Twins.....

Posted by: latebloomer ()
Date: January 19, 2013 19:25

Very good songwriter, terrific voice, great personality, very, ahem, distinctive look...what's not to love about Dolly Parton.

Happy Birthday Dolly!

Posted by: minorbyrd ()
Date: January 20, 2013 15:41

Hi Rockman,

If you see this, are you able to post the YouTube clip of Dolly singing Great Balls Of Fire on Countdown? I've tried, but it's beyond this cheap tablet's capacity! Would be cool for our USA friends to see the oz kids waving USA flags in her honour - Don't worry if you can't. Cheers - YAI Minor Byrd

Posted by: Edith Grove ()
Date: January 20, 2013 20:25

minorbyrd
Hi Rockman,

If you see this, are you able to post the YouTube clip of Dolly singing Great Balls Of Fire on Countdown? I've tried, but it's beyond this cheap tablet's capacity! Would be cool for our USA friends to see the oz kids waving USA flags in her honour - Don't worry if you can't. Cheers - YAI Minor Byrd

Well, I ain't Rockee, but in case he doesn't see your post:

Posted by: 2000 LYFH ()
Date: January 20, 2013 20:53

detroitken
happy Birthday to the Twins.....

eye popping smiley

Posted by: jamesfdouglas ()
Date: January 20, 2013 21:00

Her 1999 album "The Grass is Blue" is severly under-appreciated imho.

[thepowergoats.com]

Posted by: minorbyrd ()
Date: January 21, 2013 03:57

Edith Grove
minorbyrd
Hi Rockman,

Well, I ain't Rockee, but in case he doesn't see your post:

Thank You Edith Grove! smileys with beer

Date: January 21, 2013 04:19

So, "Rockman"......???? Yes or No???

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: January 21, 2013 06:11

.... well I'm a tool-box man but in this case I'll change inta a coat of many colours and say.... Yeah!! why not ...

ROCKMAN

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-01-21 08:58 by Rockman.

Date: January 21, 2013 08:20

yeah Dolly also has developed a early childhood literacy program for children from birth to age five, that's free. you register a kid and her library program sends kids books; helps kids learn to like to read which then assists and improves literacy

because its free kids from poor homes are not exempt

yep happy b-day

Posted by: jpasc95 ()
Date: January 21, 2013 09:15

horrible voice !

Date: January 21, 2013 11:20

I've actually seen her in concert. Not bad....

Posted by: pmk251 ()
Date: January 22, 2013 20:31

Yeah, she's a kick and good sport. She was on Colbert in late November and was very kind to him when he almost froze at the beginning of a duet. I remember this one from a while ago:

Posted by: reg thorpe ()
Date: January 22, 2013 20:52

21stcenturystones
I've actually seen her in concert. Not bad....

was there for the bottom line shows.. didn't know Mick was there

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: January 22, 2013 20:57

Dolly Parton....whatever

Posted by: Munichhilton ()
Date: January 22, 2013 21:00

Erik you sound like you're more of a Porter Wagoner fan...

Posted by: reg thorpe ()
Date: January 22, 2013 21:06

Mick's the man on the mountains, come on up.

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: January 22, 2013 21:07

Munichhilton
Erik you sound like you're more of a Porter Wagoner fan...

I beg your parton!?

Posted by: mr_dja ()
Date: January 22, 2013 22:01

A few Dolly quotes I found on the web (though not the one's I was looking for)

I'm not offended by dumb blonde jokes because I know that I'm not dumb. I also know I'm not blonde.

People always ask me how long it takes to do my hair. I don't know, I'm never there.

You'd be surprised how much it costs to look this cheap!

I look just like the girls next door... if you happen to live next door to an amusement park.

Plastic surgeons are always making mountains out of molehills.

I modelled my looks on the town tramp.

-----

Though I've never met her, I have worked with some of her family and have friends who do know her. From all accounts, she truely is a wonderful person.

Happy Belated B-Day Dolly!

Peace,
Mr DJA

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1552
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home