Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
New tour - without sidemen
Posted by: McQwerty ()
Date: January 18, 2013 01:13

What do you think about this?

If Stones will go on tour in 2013, can it be without any sidemen? You know, just band with Darryl, Chuck and Bobby (I know they are sidemen, but they are important for basic sound)...

No backing vocals, no horns, no all those @#$%& things! I think that will be so cool.. Keef and Ronnie can sign backing vocals.. One keyboard, one saxophone.. Old style Stones, just like in 60s, 70s and 80s.. Like on ie Tatoo You tour..

And if HM king of bass Bill Wyman rejoin, it would be the best (and maybe last) Stones tour!

Re: New tour - without sidemen
Posted by: TheDailyBuzzherd ()
Date: January 18, 2013 01:36

Won't happen.

Posted by: jamesfdouglas ()
Date: January 18, 2013 02:14

No sidemen is no sidemen.

Since their bass-player is a sideman, it would sound pretty lame with just the 4 of them.

(pssst, this is one of the reasons that I don't consider them a 'real' band anymore winking smiley )

[thepowergoats.com]

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: January 18, 2013 02:19

jamesfdouglas

Since their bass-player is a sideman, it would sound pretty lame with just the 4 of them.

(pssst, this is one of the reasons that I don't consider them a 'real' band anymore winking smiley )

What if Ronnie played bass and Jagger on lead guitar?

Posted by: backstreetboy1 ()
Date: January 18, 2013 02:38

didnt they just do that?

Posted by: backstreetboy1 ()
Date: January 18, 2013 02:39

except for b acking vocals

Date: January 18, 2013 11:46

jamesfdouglas

But they need bass player! Without bass, there is no music...

I agree that Darryl's bass playing is no true rocking-and-rolling bass playing, but if Bill doesn't return, they need Darryl eye rolling smiley

Posted by: orson ()
Date: January 18, 2013 12:00

on most of their songs they recorded (also in the 70s and 80s) they used backing vocals and horns - so if they dont play live with additional musicians it wont sound like the stones

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: January 18, 2013 12:24

Bernard can jog on, but Lisa is essential.

Posted by: stonesdan60 ()
Date: January 18, 2013 12:39

I loved it when Keith and Ron used to sing but I think Mick hated it. They didn't sound "professional." They could produce some ungodly caterwauling but when they were "on" it was great. Miss those days.

Date: January 18, 2013 12:40

Why not? Apparantly, it worked greatly at the Trabendo - only Chuck and Darryl were there.

Posted by: tomcasagranda ()
Date: January 18, 2013 14:25

They've had sidemen since 1969, if we include Stu.

Posted by: Phil Good ()
Date: January 18, 2013 15:13

I'd be happy when they leave out Lisa Fisher. Just can't stand her anymore.

Posted by: runrudolph ()
Date: January 18, 2013 15:56

would be great, add Mick taylor, Bill and Bobby keys.
add Ian Mac lagan instead of Chuck.Backing Vocals ..keef and ronnie.

That would be a blast

jeroen

Posted by: daytime ()
Date: January 18, 2013 19:59

I would like to see everyone in it.

Posted by: runrudolph ()
Date: January 18, 2013 20:24

yeah??????? dont think brian, stu and nicky will be there.

jeroen

Date: January 18, 2013 20:59

treaclefingers
jamesfdouglas

What if Ronnie played bass and Jagger on lead guitar?

Or Ronnie on Bass and Mick Taylor on lead?? I rmember Ronnie actually mentioning this during a Guitar magazine interview in '93.

[thepowergoats.com]

Date: January 18, 2013 21:03

McQwerty
jamesfdouglas

But they need bass player! Without bass, there is no music...

I agree that Darryl's bass playing is no true rocking-and-rolling bass playing, but if Bill doesn't return, they need Darryl eye rolling smiley

Of course they need a bass player, I was being a tad facetious. Every photo from '94 onward with 4 Rolling Stones to me has always felt... incomplete. It's like they said "bah, we've been doing this 30 years, we're rock gods now, a new full-member at this point doesn't matter, plus dividing our loot between 4 is better than five, no one we could get would matter anyways, let's just hire someone and NOT put their picture on anything. After all, it's only bass; most music fans don't even know or understand what a bass-player is or does anymore anyways."

[thepowergoats.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-01-18 21:04 by jamesfdouglas.

Posted by: Des ()
Date: January 18, 2013 21:18

There a few basics that evolved over the years to cover off the key ellements of what became R&R. The Stones have nailed them and call upon each element when needed, scrapping one limits their range which I think is a key part of their success.

The elements up and above the rock quartet model as I see them are, first adding good old Jerry Lee style piano (covered) expanded to include the keyboard effects generated in the sities and seventies. Next you need some sass, something with attitude...sax (covered). Sax will do the trick but again the experimentation of the sixties and seventies included the highs of the trumpet, then you need some trombone to balance out the horns (covered). Last but not least I always said you need three long legged black gospel singers, now they made a slight varience here, but they do have at least one.

I love it when the come out stripped down and rockin but also appreciate their contributions to that experimentation with more involved arrangements.

Posted by: T&A ()
Date: January 18, 2013 21:19

jamesfdouglas
most music fans don't even know or understand what a bass-player is or does anymore anyways."

what DO they do?

Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: January 18, 2013 21:25

T&A
jamesfdouglas
most music fans don't even know or understand what a bass-player is or does anymore anyways."

what DO they do?
stand around and look cool and hold the bottom line!

Date: January 18, 2013 21:27

TheGreek
T&A
jamesfdouglas

what DO they do?
stand around and look cool and hold the bottom line!

thanks. they say you learn something new everyday. now i can take the rest of the day off. yay.

Posted by: bv ()
Date: January 18, 2013 21:51

Sorry. That was a one-off show at the Trabendo club show in Paris. It will not happen on the larger stages.

Bjornulf

Date: January 18, 2013 21:53

I think all those sidemen are nice musicians winking smiley

But, Stones don't need them, even Bobby. They can play like in Paris 2012 and that will sound great! Keith and Ronnie always were great on b-vocals...

Date: January 18, 2013 21:57

bv
Sorry. That was a one-off show at the Trabendo club show in Paris. It will not happen on the larger stages.

your apology is not necessary. but thanks anyway.

Posted by: shattered1978 ()
Date: January 18, 2013 21:58

Ahum. Bobby Keys has been on stage with the Stones since 1969, Ian Stewart from 1962 untill the Tattoo You tour....
So I guess some sidemen are supposed to be there....

Date: January 18, 2013 22:15

Sure they need them, because Bernard is filling in vocals when Mick is not always too strong, we saw than during these 5 shows a few times, for those who paid close attention to the vocals. Same with Lisa, guess who was duplicating the vocals when Lady Gaga was dancing around on stage in Brooklyn. Lisa was there all through the song. And so on.

It is not important for me. I could live with a rusty version of the Stones at times. But they are supposed to last for two hours two times per week. They are not in their teens anymore. And we don't want tape or playback to fill in, right?

Bjornulf

Date: January 18, 2013 22:17

bv
And we don't want tape or playback to fill in, right?

hmmmm..... a tape of a 1972 performance might be nice...

Date: January 19, 2013 11:46

bv
Sure they need them, because Bernard is filling in vocals when Mick is not always too strong, we saw than during these 5 shows a few times, for those who paid close attention to the vocals. Same with Lisa, guess who was duplicating the vocals when Lady Gaga was dancing around on stage in Brooklyn. Lisa was there all through the song. And so on.

It is not important for me. I could live with a rusty version of the Stones at times. But they are supposed to last for two hours two times per week. They are not in their teens anymore. And we don't want tape or playback to fill in, right?

Yes, now I think you are absolutely right. Mick needs professional backing vocals. Hi can't sing like in the 70s, but he is still great and I love him!

But I'm not sure that Stones need backing acoustic rhythm guitar (Blondie Chaplin)... That's just too much stupid!

Date: January 19, 2013 11:57

When Keith takes the solo spot he do want two guitars behind him without playing himself at times. We have seen this in the past. The freedom to sing and perform, or even just move out to the crowd, without having to concentrate of playing all the time. Then a 2nd guitar is needed. Same with the whole show. More freedom for Keith.

Bjornulf

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1656
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home