Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

OT - Went To The Record Store Today
Posted by: JohnnyBGoode ()
Date: January 15, 2013 05:24

Went to the record store today without a clue on what I was going to get and then Albert Collins "I Ain't Drunk" came on the store speakers and I ended up buying Icepickin' and Don't Lose Your Cool. Ever go to the record store without a clue and then end up buying music you had no idea you were going to get? Any Albert Collins fans?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-01-15 05:38 by JohnnyBGoode.

Re: OT - Went To The Record Store Today
Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: January 15, 2013 05:29

.... cool story ....but it's when ya come home with a disease that ya gotta worry

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Max'sKansasCity ()
Date: January 15, 2013 05:31

Ever go to the record store without a clue and then end up buying music you have no idea you were going to get?

Not for a long time, most of my good old record stores are dead... but back in the day, at least once every couple weeks I would spend a hour or so roaming around checking out new stock and old stock and posters and magazines and crap... and in the waaaaaaaay back in the day... back when the record store used to also sell concert tickets, every once in a while I would get stunned by "just released" killer conert tickets and walk out feeling sky high... it used to pay to visit, and visit often the local record stores... back in the day anyway... back in the day before I understood which day and how/who records were released, before the internet told us who was coming, back when.... back when

somehow going to BestBuy just not the same feeling... I guess I need more than a feeling.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-01-15 05:37 by Max'sKansasCity.

Posted by: TeaAtThree ()
Date: January 15, 2013 05:36

The last time I did that I bought an album called "Trippin With Howlies." I don't think I had done such a way out thing in years.

T@3

Date: January 15, 2013 05:46

Date: January 15, 2013 05:47

Rockman
.... cool story ....but it's when ya come home with a disease that ya gotta worry

Could make for a bad day...

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: January 15, 2013 06:19

God I miss Tower Records on Sunset in L.A. You never knew who'd be in there, just checking out shit. Nobody cares now.

Posted by: Virtual_Nobody ()
Date: January 15, 2013 12:05

Aaaaaah, the good old days.
Now no decent record stores exist.
The ones left are carrying the same top 40 shit.
I miss the aimless bin browsing until you find your priceless trophy.
So much for history, bittorrent does not provide the same thrill.

Posted by: tomcasagranda ()
Date: January 15, 2013 12:09

And HMV have just called in the receivers.

Posted by: GravityBoy ()
Date: January 15, 2013 12:17

Reddingtons Rare Records in Birmningham (England).

They used to give you a random free album (usually minus the sleeve) with your purchase.

They gave me Captain Beefheart - Bluejeans & Moonbeams once.

I had no idea what it was, took me a while to realise that it was pretty good.

Date: January 15, 2013 20:09

JohnnyBGoode
Went to the record store today without a clue on what I was going to get and then Albert Collins "I Ain't Drunk" came on the store speakers and I ended up buying Icepickin' and Don't Lose Your Cool. Ever go to the record store without a clue and then end up buying music you had no idea you were going to get? Any Albert Collins fans?

yes, it USED to happen to me all the time; i'd go in looking for a johnny winter record and walk out with something by son seals

and YES I am a HUGE albert collins fan. i have most all his stuff, including the ones you just got. another one he's on that i like alot is a collaboration called 'showdown' with collins, robert cray and johnny copeland.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: January 15, 2013 20:24

The days when you could be pulled in by a good looking album cover, and might give an unknown artist a shot, are over. It happened to me with the Specials.

[www.youtube.com]

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: January 15, 2013 20:48

Max'sKansasCity
Ever go to the record store without a clue and then end up buying music you have no idea you were going to get?

Not for a long time, most of my good old record stores are dead... but back in the day, at least once every couple weeks I would spend a hour or so roaming around checking out new stock and old stock and posters and magazines and crap... and in the waaaaaaaay back in the day... back when the record store used to also sell concert tickets, every once in a while I would get stunned by "just released" killer conert tickets and walk out feeling sky high... it used to pay to visit, and visit often the local record stores... back in the day anyway... back in the day before I understood which day and how/who records were released, before the internet told us who was coming, back when.... back when

somehow going to BestBuy just not the same feeling... I guess I need more than a feeling.

Only too happy to oblige:

Posted by: Max'sKansasCity ()
Date: January 15, 2013 20:53

treaclefingers
Max'sKansasCity

Nice to see someone is paying attention smileys with beer UdaMAN Treacle thumbs up

btw- did you know...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-01-15 20:55 by Max'sKansasCity.

Date: January 15, 2013 20:59

JohnnyBGoode
Ever go to the record store without a clue and then end up buying music you had no idea you were going to get?

i just did this yesterday. went to the local FYE to trade in some stuff. walked around a while. i had $18 store credit from the trade ins. i got punisher- warzone on dvd plus saw a used copy of foghat-road cases and since it was a buy 1 used get the 2nd used 1/2 off i found joe cocker- night calls used and got that too.

Date: January 15, 2013 21:00

Max'sKansasCity
treaclefingers
Max'sKansasCity

Nice to see someone is paying attention smileys with beer UdaMAN Treacle thumbs up

btw- did you know...

I had a feeling they had some similarities. Actually, it was more than a feeling.

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: January 15, 2013 21:15

Ever go to the record store without a clue and then end up buying music you had no idea you were going to get?

Every friday. I always bargains around 25-30 LPs...Sometimes they are pretty good....

2 1 2 0

Posted by: mr_dja ()
Date: January 15, 2013 21:53

We've got a used book/record/cd store about a block from my office that is AWESOME! It is such a wonderful place that I have to restrict myself from going there for fear of unintended financial consequences.

Peace,
Mr DJA

Date: January 15, 2013 22:22

Anyone watch the Amoeba What's in my bag videos? Here's a random one.

Date: January 15, 2013 22:24

I've got to quit going to the bar and put my money back into the record store. winking smiley

Posted by: TheDailyBuzzherd ()
Date: January 15, 2013 22:31

JohnnyBGoode
Ever go to the record store without a clue and then end up buying music you had
no idea you were going to get?

Twice, at least. Wanted a Yardbirds sound and the guy convinced me to listen to
John Mayall, so I walked out with "Blues from Laurel Canyon".

Another time I went to another independent outside of Danbury CT, waffled around
for an hour, listened to them spin Neil Young's first LP, hadn't heard the deep cuts
before, thought them sounded so Springfield-ish I walked out with a copy.

Pre-internet moral of the story? The best places spin great LPs for the customer
to hear and sometimes they'll snap 'em up.

Date: January 16, 2013 00:45

TheDailyBuzzherd
JohnnyBGoode
Ever go to the record store without a clue and then end up buying music you had
no idea you were going to get?

Twice, at least. Wanted a Yardbirds sound and the guy convinced me to listen to
John Mayall, so I walked out with "Blues from Laurel Canyon".

Another time I went to another independent outside of Danbury CT, waffled around
for an hour, listened to them spin Neil Young's first LP, hadn't heard the deep cuts
before, thought them sounded so Springfield-ish I walked out with a copy.

Pre-internet moral of the story? The best places spin great LPs for the customer
to hear and sometimes they'll snap 'em up.

We have local record fairs 3 or 4 times a year, and my sole intention for going is to buy vinyl I've either never heard before, or always wanted or been curious about.

@ $1-3 a pop, for pristine vinyl, it's like being in a candy store! I bought over 50 albums in my last outing!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1554
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home