Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Your experience in re-watching the Newark PPV ?
Posted by: superrevvy ()
Date: January 13, 2013 23:57

I've re-watched all the live Stones movies many times and have always gotten a
kick out of them. Even with Shine A Light, only the Sympathy solo has ever made
me uncomfortable.

And I got a nice kick out of the Newark PPV the first time through. The second time
not so much. And the third time I had to turn it off, it was depressing me, it
seemed so lacking in energy.

I've noticed very few posts on IORR from people enthusiastic about the PPV after
multiple re-watches. Here's your opportunity.

Re: Your experience in re-watching the Newark PPV ?
Posted by: SKILLS ()
Date: January 14, 2013 00:02

Gotta disagree, i've enjoyed it probably 4 times since initial screening. Dig the subtleties between them even more with subsequent viewings. Have to love Ronnie, he was certainly on

Posted by: star star 1 ()
Date: January 14, 2013 00:08

Yes you are right, they played really well this concerts but i miss the old energy when Keith was the musical leader of the band. When i see the Prudential Video is bittersweet: sweet, cause they are still doing it (at alnost 70¡¡) ang giving us satisfactions, and bitter, cause we miss a era that never will come again. But, that´s life man¡

Posted by: chrisvw ()
Date: January 14, 2013 00:20

i was at the show in newark and didn't get a chance to see the ppv until yesterday; i've watched it three times since. i've got to say the sound at the live show was far superior to the sound on the ppv.

i did notice that maybe the energy level was a little low at the beginning, and i noticed mick kept blowing his nose as if he was a bit sniffly. but it seems to me that the duet with lady gaga jumpstarted them a little bit, and then the blues number with gary clark jr. and john mayer (whom i don't even like, but turns out to play a decent guitar) was really rocking. i thought the band, particularly mick and ronnie, kept up the pace thru the end of the show.

i totally love keith, but he seemed a little tired on saturday. i also saw the thursday show, and he seemed stronger and happier in that performance.

i thought the black keys were a total waste of time, and i can't believe mick said he didn't think they'd ever done "who do you love" live after having performed it with friggin' bo diddley in voodoo lounge. now, that was a great performance of that song!

thought bruce absolutely phoned in his performance.

Posted by: jammingedward ()
Date: January 14, 2013 00:26

Too much bass and vocals in the mix- So much that I find it distracting, and it also makes the sound weak. Whoever mixed the show obviously had no clue how a rock n roll band should sound.

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: January 14, 2013 00:53

superrevvy
kick out of them.

why you watch again? does it turn out differently or something?

Posted by: uhbuhgullayew ()
Date: January 14, 2013 00:59

StonesTod
superrevvy
kick out of them.

Nah, it's like Groundhog Day - Springsteen just isn't able to figure it out. Again and again and again.........

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: January 14, 2013 01:03

uhbuhgullayew
StonesTod
superrevvy
kick out of them.

Nah, it's like Groundhog Day - Springsteen just isn't able to figure it out. Again and again and again.........

people think they're saying "bruuuuuuuuce" but they really are booing.

Date: January 14, 2013 01:30

I don't know if it was a real question, but I'll give it a real answer.

I mostly live in silence. I don't use music as background sound or work
accompaniment.

I use music mostly to make me and/or my guests high. And during the course of
my life, no music has made me higher than Keith Richards music.

So I realize with this PPV, it may just be me, that I've changed, not so much
the Stones. A different kind of music makes me high these days, generally stuff
with more interesting and varied rhythms.

That's why I asked what mainstream Stones people think about the PPV after repeated
watchings. Because I've become a little biased against the Stones music I think.
While still being quite fascinated by them as a phenomenon.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-01-14 01:42 by superrevvy.

Posted by: uhbuhgullayew ()
Date: January 14, 2013 01:53

superrevvy

Wow, I'm surprised Keith's solo CD's aren't selling for hundreds of dollars if one is able to get so high from his music. The Keith CD's that I bought never got me high. Maybe I should have purchased them in Humboldt County.

Posted by: Rolling Hansie ()
Date: January 14, 2013 02:06

superrevvy
That's why I asked what mainstream Stones people think

You won't find them on this board. Only real Stonesfans here smiling smiley

-------------------
Keep On Rolling smoking smiley

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: January 14, 2013 02:11

I suggest waiting a while before re-watching it. It's like photographs, the longer you wait to view them after they are taken, the better they are. peace

Posted by: lougio ()
Date: January 14, 2013 02:16

Talking about the sound. I was at the first Newark show. The sound was just about perfect. My first tour was 1972 and I have lost count of how many shows I have seen since then. I am not sure the sound was ever better than it was in Newark. Is this because of advances in technology since the Stones last played in 2007 or was it just a great show in a great venue?

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: January 14, 2013 02:30

It's been three weeks since the last of the five concerts. This is the only thread about it on the front page. Maybe that tells us something?

Posted by: doubledoor ()
Date: January 14, 2013 04:30

It was another Stones concert. Great. Seen before many times.

Posted by: slew ()
Date: January 14, 2013 04:45

I watched it a couple of times and it does not lack energy at all. great show!

Posted by: duke richardson ()
Date: January 14, 2013 05:42

I enjoyed the ppv show a lot. I think about how much planning, rehearsal, logistics, went into it..the drummers coarsing through the audience..that part is still compelling to me, after several viewings..

i love that Stones shows are such entertainment extravaganzas

the sound was great to me, i watched on computer, with earphones

I love the version of You cant always Get what You want from that night. also I thought Wild Horses was played with a lot of sensitivity, coming right after Mick's remarks about the tragedy in Connecticut

I sure wish they would turn Mick Taylor loose on future shows if he plays on an upcomong tour. The man is obviously overjoyed to be playing with them again. A sober Stones guitar section. imagine.

Cant You Hear Me Knocking is th obvious choice for him to revive, I mean, he makes that song.

Posted by: open-g ()
Date: January 14, 2013 05:59

jammingedward
Too much bass and vocals in the mix - So much that I find it distracting, and it also makes the sound weak. Whoever mixed the show obviously had no clue how a rock n roll band should sound.

+1 thanks for typin' what I was thinkin'.

I hope Bob Clearmountain has a go at this show.
the sax & bass on the second chorus of BTMMR drives me nuts.
it's mixed like a jazzy coffee house combo. eye rolling smiley

whatever Scorsese did with the mix in SoL - this is the opposite.
c'mon Bob, fix it!

Posted by: Laughingsam ()
Date: January 14, 2013 06:07

I agree with you all who're saying the sound on the PPV special was lousy. My wife never got to see a Stones show, so I ordered it and figured that even if the band was mediocre or washed up, at least the sound should be great -- I even shelled out the extra $10 for HD! During the first few songs I constantly adjusted my system, figuring it was my system settings that made it sound so flat. "Where are the guitars?!" I kept saying outloud. The sound department just dropped the ball on this show. The band wasn't bad and even surpassed my expectations.

I wish I'd known in advance, I would've filtered the sound through my basement setup and interjected some life to it, which I've done with the audio since.

I don't get why they tried to hide the guitars under the mix. They were playing well enough for the guitars to be cranked up to a normal arena rockshow level, but it's like someone decided it was best to keep them hidden. The sound reminded me of the VHS sound on that old Miami PPV special in '94, which should be an afterthought here in this day and age.

chrisvw
i thought the black keys were a total waste of time, and i can't believe mick said he didn't think they'd ever done "who do you love" live after having performed it with friggin' bo diddley in voodoo lounge. now, that was a great performance of that song!

I agree. I eat crow on this one, because I posted that they were a great fit for a Stones show. But alas, they looked like minor-leaguers out there. Dan Auerbach suddenly turned into a little boy next to Mick. He sounded nothing like the throaty blues wailer he is on the group's records. The group just started doing arena shows last year and they weren't up to the task if guesting with The Stones.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-01-14 06:16 by Laughingsam.

Posted by: flacnvinyl ()
Date: January 14, 2013 06:25

@Superrevy - I am the opposite of you in terms of not playing music all the time. It is a requirement that something be making noise, unless I am spending time with my family... Although our two-year-old loves 'mukes' so I frequently put on great music for her to enjoy.

For me the ONLY part of the PPV that I have wanted to return to, is Rambler. My father and I are both huge fans, and both of us commented on how fantastic that moment was on film, especially Ronnie's enthusiasm. Aside from that, the show was nothing to write home about. I think I am just really really really tired of hearing the same songs over and over. A few specific notes..

Get Off My Cloud was great. Unfortunately the sound mix was/is TERRIBLE. Bass heavy, guitar-light, and Ronnie is very low in the mix. Very disappointing but they played this track great. On other shows you can really hear Ronnie playing beautiful melodies. One show in particular I heard notes by Ronnie that I have NEVER heard him or any other Stones guitarist play on this song. Can't remember which gig though...

The Last Time - For many people this was a 'oh no, maybe this wont be as good as we thought it would' moment. Unlike the versions from previous tours, they went back to the original version's jazzy beat. This is a downgrade. The version from 97 was PHENOMENAL. The 2012 version was lame. It didn't help that the sound mix favored bass over everything on this song. Darryl did not 'ruin' the song, he was just way way too loud in the mix, and they should have gone with an alternate beat...

1998 (Ronnie too low in the mix and Chuck's backing vocals too loud)

Hits... hits... hits... I guess it must be though to have that many hits. Satisfaction, JJFlash, Start Me Up, etc... drop one from the set and I guess everyone will hate the show??? That mentality is STUPID. If in the year 2012/13 the Stones stopped playing the hits at every dang show, and fans deserted them in droves, then it doesn't sound like the fan base was that strong.

They have lost their edge. No daring setlists, no risks, just the Stones by the numbers... with one exception... the show on the 13th...

THE PAY-PER-VIEW SHOULD HAVE BEEN THE NEWARK SHOW ON THE 13TH.
It was far superior musically, setlist, vibe, everything. Love every video released and the great audience recording that surfaced.

Date: January 14, 2013 09:48

uhbuhgullayew
superrevvy

Wow, I'm surprised Keith's solo CD's aren't selling for hundreds of dollars if one is able to get so high from his music.

agreed. so i'll re-phrase: keith richards music as fully realized by the rolling
stones (although keith's two solo records did get me off for a while. but not
as much as when it was jagger and watts and company doing the interpreting)

also: i've acknowleged that keith played much better technically on 50 and
Counting than i ever thought possible just a few months after the Apollo.
but i'm not very much a technical guy. so that's why i tried to put the
question in terms of "energy" and how much "lifted up" people felt by the
performance, especially upon re-viewing. it nice to see that some people are
getting that kind of lift from it. i wish i was one of them.

i guess i've been ruined by the new LOUD Live at the O2 DVD. yeah, at times its
too "beyonce" but at other times, its mostly just R and her killer band and the
crowd lost in the moment and truly out of their heads.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2013-01-14 10:12 by superrevvy.

Date: January 14, 2013 09:51

superrevvy
me uncomfortable.

And I got a nice kick out of the Newark PPV the first time through. The second time
not so much. And the third time I had to turn it off, it was depressing me, it
seemed so lacking in energy.

I've noticed very few posts on IORR from people enthusiastic about the PPV after
multiple re-watches. Here's your opportunity.

I watched it again this weekend. Still great!

The Last Time is not quite up to par, GS is a little dragging in the beginning, but apart from that, this show is nothing but brilliant, imo thumbs up

Posted by: RobertJohnson ()
Date: January 14, 2013 12:55

Bad mix, the guitars are in the background, especially when Ronnie and Keith are alone on stage without another guitarist(s). The vocals are too prominent, the solos by Keith and Ronnie are too short, no risk, nothing. It is sad to hear more ambitious solos only from the guest-stars (if I may call Mick Taylor a guest). In my opinion Keith has lost his leading position as guitarist, Ronnie is more prominent. Therefore it is a shame that Ronnie was too reserved in soloing. In general I'm not as euphoric concerning the anniverary performances as many mates here.

Posted by: 1962 ()
Date: January 14, 2013 14:52

I've seen the PPV many times.

And I have to say: was one of the best Stones experience in my life though I've seen them 9 times live from 1982 to 2007.

Mick's vocal and performance: 10/10

Keith's playing: very good

Surprisingly the guests (even Gaga) were great.

23 great songs played in high first class quality

I think all the warhorses were played extreamly well.

I loved the jams (Who Do You Love, Goin' Down, loved the new numbers (Doom and Gloom and One More Shot)

Keith was great e(specially with Before They Make Me Run)

I think everybody should watch it as a whole, not just jumping from one song to an another favourite one. Great concert. Beautiful atmosphere.

My kids (age: 13, 15, 17 and 18) loved it so much, want to see it again and again!

Thank you Rolling Stones !!!

(This was the first time I thought that Darryl is better for the Stones nowdays then Bill)

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2013-01-15 10:20 by 1962.

Date: January 14, 2013 16:03

RobertJohnson
Bad mix, the guitars are in the background, especially when Ronnie and Keith are alone on stage without another guitarist(s). The vocals are too prominent, the solos by Keith and Ronnie are too short, no risk, nothing. It is sad to hear more ambitious solos only from the guest-stars (if I may call Mick Taylor a guest). In my opinion Keith has lost his leading position as guitarist, Ronnie is more prominent. Therefore it is a shame that Ronnie was too reserved in soloing. In general I'm not as euphoric concerning the anniverary performances as many mates here.

YCAGWYW! The first long Ronnie solo on this since 1976.

Posted by: RobertJohnson ()
Date: January 14, 2013 17:38

DandelionPowderman
RobertJohnson

YCAGWYW! The first long Ronnie solo on this since 1976.

No, definitely not. The solo on Live Licks - how poor as it is - is longer than Ronnie's solos on the anniversary tour. It is a shame since Ronnie recovered from his bad shape on the Bang tour and played quite good solos like on Dead Flowers. His sidekick work on Wild Horses was brilliant and impressive.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: January 14, 2013 17:41

superrevvy
me uncomfortable.

What, the Miami 1994 SFTD solo didn't make you feel uncomfortable?

Posted by: drbryant ()
Date: January 14, 2013 19:10

I only watched it once and thought it was great. I actually like the fact that Keith and Ronnie seemed more focused on playing well as opposed to putting on a "show." I was at the PPV show and at the Beacon (first night) and actually thought that they played better in NJ.

Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: January 14, 2013 19:35

i went to newark on 12/15 and have watched the ppv 3 times .each time i watch i am in ecstacy on what a great show this was ,pure joy !!!!!!!

Posted by: LSTNT ()
Date: January 14, 2013 19:35

Unfortunatley the PPV dvd does not do the show justice. In the arena that night the crowd was electric and the sound was the best ever(all 3 US shows) but that did not come through on the PPV. Hopefully they put out an official release of this in outstanding audio. the boys rocked the Center hard that night, it was magical.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1505
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home