Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

OT/ Marianne Faithfull - Broken English: Deluxe Edition to be released on Jan. 28
Posted by: kowalski ()
Date: January 9, 2013 15:29

DELUXE BROKEN ENGLISH OUT IN JAN

THE BROKEN ENGLISH DELUXE EDITION RELEASED 28/01/2013

Marianne’s definitive album ‘Broken English’ is reissued in a luxury package which includes the album version released in 1979, the original ‘lost’ rock mix of the album, and a selection of bonus tracks including single mixes and 'Sister Morphine' Marianne’s co-write with the Rolling Stones; a song she had first released back in 1969 but re-recorded for a special Island 20th Anniversary 7” and 12” release of ‘Broken English’.

The package also includes the Derek Jarman short film of ‘Witches Song’, ‘The Ballad of Lucy Jordan’ and ‘Broken English’. Long before pop videos became a de-rigueur promotional tool, the film was initially shown in cinemas before the main feature, and it gets its first commercial release on this set. The short film was a bold original statement that perfectly matched the world Marianne had created in her songs.

On its release in late ‘79 ‘Broken English’ was an instant critical and commercial success bringing Marianne a new image, an international following, a Grammy nomination and the confidence to record more of her own compositions. There have been few comebacks as startling as this, few records as unexpected as this… “I thought I was going to die, that this was my last chance to make a record. It’s this sense, that “@#$%& hell, before I die, I’m going to show you bastards who I am.”

Track Listing:

CD1: Broken English

Witches Song Brain Drain Guilt The Ballard Of Lucy Jordan What’s the Hurry? Working Class Hero Why D’ya Do it?

Witches Song/ The Ballad Of Lucy Jordan/ Broken English – Short Film

CD2: Broken English (Original Album Mix)

Witches Song (Original Mix) Brain Drain (Original Mix) Guilt (Original Mix) The Ballard Of Lucy Jordan (Original Mix) What’s the Hurry? (Original Mix) Working Class Hero (Original Mix) Why D’ya Do it? (Original Mix) Sister Morphine Broken English (7" Single) Broken English (7" Remix version) Broken English (12" Remix) Why D’ya Do It? (12" version)

source : [mariannefaithfull.org.uk]

More infos : [www.uncut.co.uk]

Re: OT/ Marianne Faithfull - Broken English: Deluxe Edition to be released on Jan. 28
Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: January 9, 2013 16:23

kowalski

DELUXE BROKEN ENGLISH OUT IN JAN

THE BROKEN ENGLISH DELUXE EDITION RELEASED 28/01/2013

Marianne’s definitive album ‘Broken English’ is reissued in a luxury package which includes the album version released in 1979, the original ‘lost’ rock mix of the album, and a selection of bonus tracks including single mixes and 'Sister Morphine' Marianne’s co-write with the Rolling Stones; a song she had first released back in 1969 but re-recorded for a special Island 20th Anniversary 7” and 12” release of ‘Broken English’.

The package also includes the Derek Jarman short film of ‘Witches Song’, ‘The Ballad of Lucy Jordan’ and ‘Broken English’. Long before pop videos became a de-rigueur promotional tool, the film was initially shown in cinemas before the main feature, and it gets its first commercial release on this set. The short film was a bold original statement that perfectly matched the world Marianne had created in her songs.

On its release in late ‘79 ‘Broken English’ was an instant critical and commercial success bringing Marianne a new image, an international following, a Grammy nomination and the confidence to record more of her own compositions. There have been few comebacks as startling as this, few records as unexpected as this… “I thought I was going to die, that this was my last chance to make a record. It’s this sense, that “@#$%& hell, before I die, I’m going to show you bastards who I am.”

Track Listing:

CD1: Broken English

Witches Song Brain Drain Guilt The Ballard Of Lucy Jordan What’s the Hurry? Working Class Hero Why D’ya Do it?

Witches Song/ The Ballad Of Lucy Jordan/ Broken English – Short Film

CD2: Broken English (Original Album Mix)

Witches Song (Original Mix) Brain Drain (Original Mix) Guilt (Original Mix) The Ballard Of Lucy Jordan (Original Mix) What’s the Hurry? (Original Mix) Working Class Hero (Original Mix) Why D’ya Do it? (Original Mix) Sister Morphine Broken English (7" Single) Broken English (7" Remix version) Broken English (12" Remix) Why D’ya Do It? (12" version)

source : [mariannefaithfull.org.uk]

More infos : [www.uncut.co.uk]

Thanks...always liked this album a lot. I might actually pull the trigger on this one as it looks interesting.

Re: OT/ Marianne Faithfull - Broken English: Deluxe Edition to be released on Jan. 28
Posted by: runrudolph ()
Date: January 9, 2013 16:37

great album, great songs and a nice person too.

jeroen

sorry for all the hassles jagger put her through

Posted by: runaway ()
Date: January 9, 2013 17:31

Yoram Eshkol - International Film Festival Rotterdam 2013 - IFFR
www.filmfestivalrotterdam.com/nl/persons/yoram-eshkol/
Professionals » · International Film Festival Rotterdam | LOGO. 42ste editie 23 januari - 3 februari 2013 ... Strange weather: the Marianne Faithfull story » ...

Date: January 10, 2013 01:06

More infos on the 2013 reissue here : [hangout.altsounds.com]

Also Broken English is reissued on 180g vinyl by Audio Fidelity : [audiofidelity.net]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-01-10 01:12 by kowalski.

Posted by: rebelrebel ()
Date: January 10, 2013 11:22

corriecas

jeroen

Hmmm. I like her too but I don't think she would have had a near 50 year career without Jagger and she's milked those "hassles" in every interview she's done for 40 years.

Posted by: tomcasagranda ()
Date: January 10, 2013 11:27

Looking forward to this.

I wonder if Strange Weather is next ?

Date: January 10, 2013 15:29

rebelrebel
corriecas

jeroen

Hmmm. I like her too but I don't think she would have had a near 50 year career without Jagger and she's milked those "hassles" in every interview she's done for 40 years.

No need to continue the bashing in this thread...

Posted by: rebelrebel ()
Date: January 10, 2013 16:01

kowalski
rebelrebel
corriecas

jeroen

Bashing her? I like her and said so first time round. It doesn't change the fact that she talks about Jagger in every interview you read and why do you think that is? Because no-one would want to interview her if she didn't.

Date: January 12, 2013 17:56

Marianne Faithfull talks about Broken Englsh reissue and her life :
[www.guardian.co.uk] (30 minutes with... series)

Posted by: C R K ()
Date: January 12, 2013 18:55

rebelrebel
kowalski
rebelrebel
corriecas

jeroen

Bashing her? I like her and said so first time round. It doesn't change the fact that she talks about Jagger in every interview you read and why do you think that is? Because no-one would want to interview her if she didn't.

That's probably not true. The interviewers keeps asking questions about this period in her life because people are interested in it and it sells. She probably wouldn't mind only talking about her latest album etc.

Posted by: adotulipson ()
Date: January 12, 2013 20:32

I only ever had this album on Islands cassette series where you got a full album on one side of the tape and a blank recordable side on the other side.
Anyone else remember those issues by Island.

Date: January 13, 2013 00:36

adotulipson
I only ever had this album on Islands cassette series where you got a full album on one side of the tape and a blank recordable side on the other side.

One + One type?

Posted by: rootsman ()
Date: January 13, 2013 12:36

Classic album!

I look forward to hearing the original unreleased rockier mix.

Date: January 13, 2013 16:34

kowalski
adotulipson

One + One type?

I never knew about this type of cassette but I do have a cassette player and a few hundreds of cassettes with radio taped live recordings, music and interviews. Just once a cassette tape broke with Stones music on it but I fixed it, this was a 120 min.tape. Tdk cassettes are still avaible and of good quality.

Date: January 13, 2013 16:51

runaway
kowalski
adotulipson

One + One type?

I never knew about this type of cassette but I do have a cassette player and a few hundreds of cassettes with radio taped live recordings, music and interviews. Just once a cassette tape broke with Stones music on it but I fixed it, this was a 120 min.tape. Tdk cassettes are still avaible and of good quality.

I used to have a lot of cassettes with live recordings too. I still remember staying awake late in the night to record live shows on the radio... Needless to say all this was before the internet era...

Date: January 13, 2013 17:12

kowalski
runaway
kowalski
adotulipson

One + One type?

I used to have a lot of cassettes with live recordings too. I still remember staying awake late in the night to record live shows on the radio... Needless to say all this was before the internet era...

Satisfactions riff taped with a Philips cassette recorder thumbs up

Date: January 16, 2013 02:06

Nice review of the reissue :
[www.thenational.ae]

Newly remastered Marianne Faithfull album still sounds inventive

(...)
Of the eight songs that make up Broken English, Faithfull has a writing credit on just four. But from start to finish, the album feels like a very personal statement.

She even pulls off a pair of cover versions that on paper look like terrible mistakes. One is John Lennon's Working Class Hero, an improbable choice from Faithfull, who was the daughter of an Austrian baroness. The other is a more obscure selection called The Ballad ofLucy Jordan, which had originally been recorded by Dr Hook & The Medicine Show in 1974. It's about a bored housewife, something which this singer had never been. Yet against the odds, Faithfull makes both songs work.

The album's six other songs are originals that play off Faithfull's own persona. Brain Drain contains very characteristic references to "silk" and "champagne". What's the Hurry is about an addict seeking a fix, a part Faithfull can play from experience. And Guilt features the ear-snagging line "I never stole a scarf from Harrods". There's no reason to doubt her honesty, but it's precisely the sort of crime - petty, but strangely glamorous - that Marianne Faithfull might be accused of.

On the album's title track, she even shows a political side. Broken English was inspired by a TV news bulletin about Ulrike Meinhof, a notorious German terrorist from the time. The world-weary Faithfull is unimpressed with Meinhof's exploits. "What are you dying for? It's not my reality," she sings bluntly.

That track's subject matter is unexpected, but another song on the album is genuinely shocking. It sees Faithfull assume the role of a betrayed lover, who responds by berating her partner with a series of profane recriminations. The lyrics were written by a poet called Heathcote Williams, who originally wanted Tina Turner to record them. Faithfull persuaded him that Turner would never agree and gamely set them to a punk-reggae backing. The result is the infamous Why'd Ya Do It. When Broken English came out, this song was banned in Australia and even now its lyrical content is mostly unprintable.

With perfect sequencing, Why'd Ya Do It appears right at the end of the album. This furious rant feels like a boiling point for the album's simmering stew of emotions, which range from anger and sadness to shame and desperation. It's not pretty, but it's honest and unflinching.

Three decades on from its original release, Broken English is widely acknowledged as Faithfull's greatest work and regularly appears on lists of essential albums. It's also had a significant and positive impact on her reputation.

(..)

Date: January 31, 2013 23:51

Full review of the Deluxe Edition here : [www.superdeluxeedition.com]

(...) The bonus tracks are superb on this deluxe edition. Disc one contains the standard album, while disc two contains a previously unreleased ‘early version’ of the album. If you wanted to summarise the differences between the mixes, this unreleased version has a bit more of a rock ‘n’ roll band feel, with less production flourishes and none of the new-wave keyboard stylings. This was a genuine mixed version of the album prepped for release, rather than a random selection of rough mixes.

Posted by: lazzzybones ()
Date: February 1, 2013 01:02

Your a brain drain,you go on like a blood stain.

Posted by: colonial ()
Date: February 3, 2013 09:56

--------------
ColonialstoneNZ
--------------

Date: February 3, 2013 11:29

Actually to be released on 04/02/2013 (ie tomorrow).

Date: February 16, 2013 20:08

For those curious in listening to the original "rock" mixes of Broken English, "What's The Hurry" is now streaming on Marianne Faithfull facebook page (no logging needed).

[www.facebook.com]

Date: February 16, 2013 20:44

I just been listening to her duet with Keith, ''sing me back home'' off her Easy Come Easy Go album I like it a lot ,anyone know if the rest of that album is worth having

Posted by: seitan ()
Date: February 16, 2013 23:53

adotulipson
I just been listening to her duet with Keith, ''sing me back home'' off her Easy Come Easy Go album I like it a lot ,anyone know if the rest of that album is worth having

If you like that song...youre gonna like the rest of the album too, same kinda stuff.

Date: February 17, 2013 02:45

adotulipson

Sing Me Back Home is in the same mood as the rest of the album, ie quite melancholic. Great renditions of more less well known songs though. Plus arrangements are really good.
Also the 2-CD version is better IMO.

Date: February 17, 2013 12:03

adotulipson

Thanks Kowalski and seitan I'll check it out now,seems there is a version with a DVD too

Posted by: seitan ()
Date: February 17, 2013 13:43

It seems to me that i like the orginal rock mix bonus CD of the Broken English album more. I think the orginal (previously unreleased) mix was better.

Date: February 18, 2013 23:24

seitan
It seems to me that i like the orginal rock mix bonus CD of the Broken English album more. I think the orginal (previously unreleased) mix was better.

Agree. The original rock mix sounds better to me too. It looks like I will be listening to this one from now on. The "synthesisered" mix sounds a bit outdated...
All in all really good reissue. Nice remastering with a warm and smooth sound and not too much compression.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1943
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home